REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
You're right...life is good at the 1%....

$91/adult ticket at Seaworld vs $100/ticket at a local Whale Watching event....
it's $78 for a day pas + the rest of 2014 for 1 child at Seaworld, essentially a seasons pass for $78. Guaranteed to see every animal available.

a one time fee for whale watching from newport beach is $36 for a child. No guarantee to see any wildlife, let alone a whale within any vicinity.
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
You're right...life is good at the 1%....

$91/adult ticket at Seaworld vs $100/ticket at a local Whale Watching event....
100/ticket to go whale watching, but do you get to see the whale for sure? Serious question because I haven't been since I was a kid.

But you're seriously discounting something though - how many species of animals does a kid get to experience at the aquarium? There must be hundreds of species of fish, insect, and birds alone at the vancouver location. What about zoos? When a kid is learning the alphabet the first thing we teach them is animals. Do you really think showing a kid an elephant on an ipad has the same effect as taking him to the zoo? A lion, a tiger? What about gorillas and monkeys? There's something special about sitting face to face with a gorilla and looking them in the eyes - that little spark you see that makes it plausible that we might have really evolved from a lesser life form. If anything it promotes better care of all animals when they are real and live in front of us like that, because it shows not only how different but also how similar we are.

Last edited by $_$; 06-15-2014 at 09:54 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #28
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Pretty amazing that these animals are sedated with valium and xanax if anyone didn't know already.
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #29
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Free drugs........... sign me up!

MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
honestly.. there are humans being treated much much worse than animals around the world and that's what you should truly be caring about.

in the grand scheme of things, captive whales don't matter compared to captive humans.

if everybody who spent so much time caring for animals put their attention and money and effort towards humanitarian aid instead, i bet we could make the world a much better place for ALL humans
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
All animals are animals.

I don't understand why some people just care so much more about one type versus another. Some of the same people up in arms "poor Tilikum" be stuffing KFC chicken down their throats and eating "high end baby veal" downtown.

"No you can't breed dogs for food you are so fucking inhumane" but "please i'd love that prime rib medium rare, better not overcook that shit because I wanna taste that cow's fucking blood - that's what makes it delish".

We are an apex predator. Top of the food chain. That means we decide what happens. But instead of worrying about poor couple of whales in captivity wah wah wah, why not worry about the billions of other animals that are bred for consumption and kept treated in the most inhumane way possible. Fuck, why not care about actual people, like the ones being locked up in prison over petty drug crimes in a 4x4 cells or millions of people living way below the poverty line in disease ridden enviroments due to systematic rape by other nations? Fuck those guys right? Why? Oh right, cause they ain't as cute as that beluga whale....

Zoos are amazing places for kids and adult alike because most of people will never have the means to travel the world to see these animals in their natural habitat. Seeing different animals is like taking a trip around the world - you can't tell me there is no educational value on being able to cross those imaginary country lines for normal every day folk and inspiring kids about learning more about nature and animals. That's a small price to pay for education and scientific advancements, just like how animal testing and trials are necessary. Do you go and protest against chemical testing on mice? Do you even know the kind of shit we do to mice? lol... But yeah, no one gives a fuck

I hate those people bitching and moaning about how terrible something is only when they watch a 50 minute documentary and suddenly they become the most animal moral person in the world. People only really start to give a shit when an animal looks cute and cuddly, or big and fearsome. If its an ugly animal, no one will give a fuck
While I agree with some of what you say, I have to acknowledge the fact that there are 2 types of the people you're describing.

1.) The trend chasing, social media abusing fucktard who spams likes / shares on whatever is trending with the delusion that he / she is making a difference by 'acknowledging' the problem. These people are very vocal and scream till everyone hears them. But what do they do when everyone has their attention?

Nothing, because by the time everyone has acknowledged their whining, they have moved on to the next 'crisis of the week'.

2.) These people are the ones who you don't hear of. They are the ones who work behind the scenes, slowly gathering facts over the course of years to put together a strong enough case towards corporations or Government branches. Fact finding / checking takes time and LOTS of resources. You need people who are actually committed to the cause. You need to take risks, in some cases, with your life. It's not watching a Documentary in your leather sectional. It's about going out in the field to do what you need to do for the cause you're standing up for.

It's painstaking enough to fight for a single cause so to fight for completely different causes would give most a mental breakdown. That's why you have genuine people out there who are fighting for animal rights, human rights, sociopolitical and economic rights. No one person or group can cover them all. It's WAY too much.

Documentaries are great for bringing awareness to a subject but it's ultimately up to the viewer to act on those impulses to help anyone and anything around them.

EDIT: When I was a young kid, I went to the zoo and the aquarium. But guess what? I don't remember jack shit from any of those visits. As kids grow up, they forget things and have to relearn them when they get older unless you pummel them with information like you would with a History lesson or Math equation.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
honestly.. there are humans being treated much much worse than animals around the world and that's what you should truly be caring about.

in the grand scheme of things, captive whales don't matter compared to captive humans.

if everybody who spent so much time caring for animals put their attention and money and effort towards humanitarian aid instead, i bet we could make the world a much better place for ALL humans
I hate it when people always trivialize a tragedy or occurence by finding a bigger tragedy or occurence to compare it to; there will always be something bigger in comparison.

Are some humans so limited of sympathy that we only choose to sympathize with injustices that only reach such magnitude - and the rest marginalized?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #33
RS controls my life!

anyone seen this documentary? mass slaughtering of dolphins and how they handpick them for sea world etc..

Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
it's $78 for a day pas + the rest of 2014 for 1 child at Seaworld, essentially a seasons pass for $78. Guaranteed to see every animal available.

a one time fee for whale watching from newport beach is $36 for a child. No guarantee to see any wildlife, let alone a whale within any vicinity.
Cool...don't forget to convert that into Canadian dollars so you can compare the two prices accurately.

Quote:
100/ticket to go whale watching, but do you get to see the whale for sure? Serious question because I haven't been since I was a kid.
The places that I've gone whale watching was a guaranteed spotting or money back. This wasn't local though so I'm not sure if the same policies apply here in Victoria.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #35

I don't think the currency is a factor. Again you're speaking to the rather privileged vancouverites who could sit on false creek and see a whale. My generalization is towards people who do not have any sort of opportunity. Mostly in the states
Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
If its an ugly animal, no one will give a fuck

If spiders were 30 feet long/tall can you imagine how many women would be protesting topless until we made them go extinct???
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #37
GS8

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
So last night, I sat down and actually watched this film.

My overall impression was 'unimpressed'. For an 80min run time, I didn't feel like I learned much of anything other that what I had already learned.

With that said, there was one quote that stood out to me. It was along the lines of 'In 50 years, we'll look back at these times and say WHAT A BARBARIC TIME!'.

He's right though I think it'll be longer than 50 years. Look at how many wonders of the world were built by slaves? Barbarism to us in this day & age but perfectly normal back then. Unfortunately we can't evolve until we acknowledge the flaw itself.

I still stand by my view that Aquariums are just a cash grab meant to exploit and distort the truths about these animals. Unfortunately, by keeping people in the dark and manipulating them through various means, they will always be in your control. Even subconsciously.

Hell I saw that new Disney Bear movie and would rather get mauled by a bear than watch that pile of shit again. I know it was meant for kids but still.....
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #38

lol

that was also a point i had meant to make in my origial post but probably too baked. If you didnt already realize that this kind of thing was going on you were ignorant to begin with. I'm pretty sure even in Blackfish it shows the offspring of the one main orca and then a large family tree of his offspring all who were brought into captivity
Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #39

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I think animals in captivity is just horrible, in any and all ways, despite the reasoning for it. It absolutely breaks my heart to animals in distress for the benefit of humans. I'd prefer that we observe them in their environment with as little intervention as possible. Just what my heart says, nothing more.

It is a fine line though as intentions can be different from person to person. Captivity for education or captivity for money? Where to draw that line? Who's sensationalizing what and at what level? It can be hard to differentiate through media channels unless you are on the front lines battling for what you believe in as GS8 said.

Last edited by white rocket; 06-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: