REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Support Forum > Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs

Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs 2016 RS.Net iT Admin: SkinnyPupp
Organizational feedback, general suggestions, account fix requests, concerns, acknowledgements, website and forum bugs & fixes. Support the site, by downloading the official RS App for Android!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
REVscene.net user

Just wanted to put my $0.02 in. To me, having a dedicated user to just create threads to try and elicit posts that nobody has bothered to create (i.e. what high school did you graduate from) does not add value to the forum, it takes away from it.

In fact, an account that creates thread with no real content just for the sake of making posts seems to be closer in profile to a spambot than anything else.

I understand that some of the monetization of a forum is based on pure forum post quantities, I just wanted to make my point that I think this is truly an example of quantity detracting from quality.

Mark
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Old School RS

Who knows - maybe I am the only one who thinks this.

Mark
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Nah. Just between Timpo, multicartual, CharlesInCharge and Shark Tank those 4 create more than enough excess for dialogue, which is the main difference between those members and the REVscene.net character.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,831 Times in 8,197 Posts
The alternative of course is to start your own threads that you think will be more interesting than general interest threads...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

+1 on multicartual
Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Who knows - maybe I am the only one who thinks this.

Mark
No, you're not.

I understand the reason for the existence of the REVscene.net 'user' is to create content, however, the content being entirely unnecessary is resulting in it hurting the experience of the site. It's like the results of "new posts" searches are suddenly interrupted by random bits of spam.

Thank you for bringing this up.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Just wanted to put my $0.02 in. To me, having a dedicated user to just create threads to try and elicit posts that nobody has bothered to create (i.e. what high school did you graduate from) does not add value to the forum, it takes away from it.

In fact, an account that creates thread with no real content just for the sake of making posts seems to be closer in profile to a spambot than anything else.

I understand that some of the monetization of a forum is based on pure forum post quantities, I just wanted to make my point that I think this is truly an example of quantity detracting from quality.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
No, you're not.

I understand the reason for the existence of the REVscene.net 'user' is to create content, however, the content being entirely unnecessary is resulting in it hurting the experience of the site. It's like the results of "new posts" searches are suddenly interrupted by random bits of spam.

Thank you for bringing this up.

I feel teh same. I've been hinting at this in all my posts that the user started, hoping their next thread would be "do you value the revscene.net posts?"

Seems like such a try hard account with no opinion.

I'd have much more respect for the site/user behind if they contributed to the current lively threads.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I don't mind posts like the teachers debate thread but if a thread already exists there really no point other then trying to get more activity.

If the revscene.net could find issues like that one for example that haven't been touched on I see value.

What highschool did you go to? No thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Wish I can thank OP.

No, you're not alone.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The alternative of course is to start your own threads that you think will be more interesting than general interest threads...
No, the premise of my post is that those threads weren't needed in the first place. If they were of interest, then they would have been created by somebody before the "system" account created them. Having me start more threads is not an alternative to the 'problem' that I perceive which the abundance of unneeded content.

Mark
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I agree with OP.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

revscene.net is pretty cool. I like the topics that are posted.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Old School RS

"The Top 3 Micheal Jackson songs of all time"

"The SCARIEST MOVIE you have ever watched.."

"Vancouver pictures!" (Posted in the Photography forum where the daily photos thread is 900 pages long and is 90% photos of Vancouver landscapes)

"Who owns the best cookie in town? Your top picks.."

There are a few that aren't as bad as the random ones I just picked out, but my point is that the ratio of noise:quality is pretty low and maybe slowing these postings down and really thinking about what is being posted would be beneficial.

Mark
Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i dont see an issue with it. most people dont start threads and only jump in on the threads that interest them..

if the RS user created something no one had interest in it would move down the list quickly... and the topics people are interested in are just another way to create discussion

you guys been on forums with little discussion? they usually suck

i do see the point that it shouldnt be left to a RS user account but if that name was changed from REVscene.net to anything else then there would be no issue at all
Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My only complaint is that there isn't enough activity with the associated account. I feel like it should create minimum 5 new threads each day considering the size and diversity of our community.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,525 Times in 4,316 Posts
RS is better off letting me back in RS Chat.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
if you dont like the threads that revscene.net is posting, no one is asking *or* forcing to you open those threads. no one is making you be a member on this website and you can gladly join other forums.

i have clicked on a few of the threads, not all of them. why not post what highschool you attended? you might even realize a friend of yours is a member.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #19
Old School RS

Well for one, because a lot of us use the "new posts" feature so a bunch of new threads that aren't relevant = a bunch more scrolling.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,931 Times in 3,881 Posts
Quote:
"The Top 3 Micheal Jackson songs of all time"

"The SCARIEST MOVIE you have ever watched.."

"Vancouver pictures!" (Posted in the Photography forum where the daily photos thread is 900 pages long and is 90% photos of Vancouver landscapes)

"Who owns the best cookie in town? Your top picks.."

There are a few that aren't as bad as the random ones I just picked out, but my point is that the ratio of noise:quality is pretty low and maybe slowing these postings down and really thinking about what is being posted would be beneficial.

Mark
IMO they're all like the forum version of clickbait. Somewhat catchy title but absolutely zero content to drive any kind of discussion.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #21
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Well for one, because a lot of us use the "new posts" feature so a bunch of new threads that aren't relevant = a bunch more scrolling.
Agreed!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
I'm for sure with Mark on this one. If anything, I'd be happier if the account was used to bump interesting threads that could lead to further discussion rather than post new threads that are all too often mostly fluff imo. As an example of what I'd love to see: keeping things like the Vancouver History thread in the first few pages of VOT, or maybe even just driving attention to good threads in some of the lesser used forums.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,831 Times in 8,197 Posts
Ideally there wouldn't be a need to have an account bumping and creating threads - you guys are supposed to do it! Instead you complain that there are too many fluff threads to scroll through...

If you have something interesting to post in the history thread, please share it!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Founder, RS Veteran

Skinny's last post pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If you have better ideas for quality topics, then I encourage people to initiate it first.

But really thanks everyone for their feedback, good and bad on the revscene account. We do take everything into consideration

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #25
I don't get it

ill be honest, i browse Revscene more than anything on the net simply becuase it is local, about cars, local eateries, local news, news on entertainment/gaming/movies, reviews on local businesses, random shit, "Some white chicks (NSFW) thread" NSFW forum in general. its a great site!
Closed Thread