REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #51
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
omg this thread all the sudden reminded me of how much i missed mountain biking.. i sold both my bikes to buy my first car. biggest mistake ive ever made
dug these photos from from my pinkbike album from 2006 dayum. bring both of these bikes up to whister, rip up the a-line and joyride with the devinci, come down, swap to the hardtail and rip up the dirt jumps, break my bone and hurt myself, still worth it.

The mountain biking culture is very big here in BC, which alot of average joe people wont notice. Hence the pricey downhill bikes do end up getting sold eventually all the time. Like meme405 said, pinkbike is where i got most of my sources back then. The market is so big, i used to buy parts on that forum with my limited budget and was able to build my own bikes. It was awesome
Advertisement
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
It makes absolutely no difference in the world, especially when almost all the various pieces like the stems, brakes, seat, rear shock, front fork, wheelset, all of that shit comes from asia.

Fine build the frame of your transition right here in BC, but that Fox 40 203mm fork on the front of the bike which you rely on to absorb those 40 foot hucks will always be built in taiwan.
Agreed, I'm sorry but anyone who thinks the country of origin matters in this day and age is an idiot.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
Made in China, Made in Taiwan,, Made in USA, Made in mexico... wherever doesn't matter, but depends on the brand and its own quality control plus the material used. Cheap labour does not always translate into poor quality anymore. I kinda stop looking at where it is made for certain stuff. I'd be concerned about food/ Produce made in china though
Quote:
It makes absolutely no difference in the world, especially when almost all the various pieces like the stems, brakes, seat, rear shock, front fork, wheelset, all of that shit comes from asia.

Fine build the frame of your transition right here in BC, but that Fox 40 203mm fork on the front of the bike which you rely on to absorb those 40 foot hucks will always be built in taiwan.
I see your point but Made in "some asian coutry" was never known for built quality.

If Lamborghini and Ferrari were made in Taiwan, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, etc...I'm that would hurt their brand image. Same as Ducati, MV Agusta, etc.

Not saying Italians ever had good built quality but still...
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #54
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Actually...I'd argue that the high end of the market is actually cheap, relative to other vehicles. For about $20K max, you could be riding the same bike that is used in world championships. You can't do that with a boat or car.
cpt000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
That's a silly comment. You can buy a new bottom of the barrel bike for $200.

A bottom of the barrel car is $15000.

So 20g's gets you a high end competitive bike. That's 100x the price of your basic bike. Make the same calculation for the car and your at 1.5 million.

Take motorcycles. 4,500 get you your most basic "sport bike". 100,000$ would get you one hell of a race bike. He'll, $16000 get you close to the same thing off the dealer showroom floor. That's not near the 100x ratio.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #56

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I see your point but Made in "some asian coutry" was never known for built quality.

If Lamborghini and Ferrari were made in Taiwan, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, etc...I'm that would hurt their brand image. Same as Ducati, MV Agusta, etc.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #57
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

really it's just simple economic scale. It only takes 1 R&D team to design a motorbike that sells 100k units/year, just the same as bicycle that sells 1k/year. That same motorbike can be assembled at a constant rate at one factory, while the bicycle requires its own factory as well, and building a factory is not cheaper if it isn't running all the time. So because the motorbike sells more units it can be sold at smaller profit margin and still easily cover the overhead, whereas the bicycle needs a bigger profit per unit to make it all back.

also wtf is this shit about people knocking bikes made in asian countries and not north america? People can make trash or quality products in any country in the world.
Ash Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #58

Why do bicycles ever need dual rotor???

Even dual purpose motorcycles don't have dual rotors.

KTM 690 ENDURO R

Kawasaki KLR650
Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
There is no possible reason in hell anyone who could physically ride a bike could have enough mass to require dual rotors like that.

I don't know where you found pictures of that bike, but it looks like it was more a project to build something absolutely ludicrous rather than something genuinely built for racing.

That brake setup looks incredibly heavy, when in reality bikers take crazy steps to lose weight off even their DH rigs. So chances are you ain't gonna be seeing that type of setup on an FMB ride in this lifetime.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #60
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I've got a scar on my leg to show how hot those rotors can get. But I agree, complete overkill. Road bikes with discs? Also nonsense.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #61

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:

Come on Timpo you know the best engines come from Hungary.

Best engine
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #62

Quote:
There is no possible reason in hell anyone who could physically ride a bike could have enough mass to require dual rotors like that.

I don't know where you found pictures of that bike, but it looks like it was more a project to build something absolutely ludicrous rather than something genuinely built for racing.

That brake setup looks incredibly heavy, when in reality bikers take crazy steps to lose weight off even their DH rigs. So chances are you ain't gonna be seeing that type of setup on an FMB ride in this lifetime.
No, it's not a project or one-off thing. You can actually buy it.
It has 8 pot caliper (each)

This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #63
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Those are cool from a bike geek standpoint. That said, my 4 piston saint brakes stop me just fine. The 8 piston would be nice for modulation if the engineers designed the pistons in different sizes. But like meme said, you don't have the mass or grip to take advantage of that sort of braking power.

I ride a knolly podium, a true dh race bike and there are times where I feel like I'm holding the bike back. It's like driving an f1 car at 3/10, you're just not getting the best out of the machine. I've raced with the bike and it kills courses. Compare that to my old kona stinky, which was great. But riding the kona was more like driving a stock 'vw on a rally course. Every turn, jump and brake was an adventure. It just didn't have the light weight, geometry, or high end parts that my knolly does.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #64
they call me the snowman

For the record, the bike above is a one off design from 2005. Having spent the last 18 years on a mountain bike I have seen some crazy shit That never made it to market.

Then there were the crazy ideas that did make it to the stores, like the Rohloff hubs, shiver forks, hammerschmidt, and the 29'er (trollololol).

Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #65
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Those are cool from a bike geek standpoint. That said, my 4 piston saint brakes stop me just fine. The 8 piston would be nice for modulation if the engineers designed the pistons in different sizes. But like meme said, you don't have the mass or grip to take advantage of that sort of braking power.

I ride a knolly podium, a true dh race bike and there are times where I feel like I'm holding the bike back. It's like driving an f1 car at 3/10, you're just not getting the best out of the machine. I've raced with the bike and it kills courses. Compare that to my old kona stinky, which was great. But riding the kona was more like driving a stock 'vw on a rally course. Every turn, jump and brake was an adventure. It just didn't have the light weight, geometry, or high end parts that my knolly does.
I'm having issues with my Saints. I had almost no brakes when I first got the bike, cleaned the rotors and burned the pads, and got my braking power back but now it's gone again haha. I'm guessing my seals are leaking brake fluid onto my rotors so looks like a rebuild kit is in my future!

That's a nice ride! I just got an 08 Demo 8 and boy do I like that bike. Super planted over everything and soaks up everything. Can't wait to shred Whistler in a few weeks! See if i'm still as fast as I was haha.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I've got a scar on my leg to show how hot those rotors can get. But I agree, complete overkill. Road bikes with discs? Also nonsense.
yeah these bikes are approx $20k and they don't even come with V-brakes. It's like some sort of old school style brake that I don't even know what its called.

Pinarello Dogma

Scott Plasma
Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #67
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Bikes are a complete and utter rip off. They should be cheaper than sportbikes. I have a feeling most of the profit goes towards having a trendy design.
No way it costs more to build and design a mountain bike than it does a 4 cyl performance engine.
pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #68
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Nope, no such thing as rip off. It's all driven by consumer demand. If people are willing to spend $20-30k in a bicycle, then the market will have products at that range. Same with motorcycles. No one complains about $400k diamonds when they are mined at same cost as a $500 diamond.
bomiheko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomiheko View Post
Nope, no such thing as rip off. It's all driven by consumer demand. If people are willing to spend $20-30k in a bicycle, then the market will have products at that range. Same with motorcycles. No one complains about $400k diamonds when they are mined at same cost as a $500 diamond.
Yeah a lot of business people say this: "Nothing is overpriced when people are willing to pay for it"
Old 04-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Yeah a lot of business people say this: "Nothing is overpriced when people are willing to pay for it"

My bike was $460 new and delivered from Craigslist

Can't put a price tag on riding around the seawall with a little buzz, commuting to patios and meeting girls
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #71

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengu View Post
Bikes are a complete and utter rip off. They should be cheaper than sportbikes. I have a feeling most of the profit goes towards having a trendy design.
No way it costs more to build and design a mountain bike than it does a 4 cyl performance engine.
It's all about volume. Engines are mass produced 20K bikes are custom built for each rider. Like I said before you can go buy a bike for $78 bux.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

Mountain bikes are so expensive because they are abused as fuck and need to be strong as all hell

Road bikes are expensive because road bike riders often have short dick syndrome and NEED an 8k+ bike to show off!

Hipster bikes are usually less than $500
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #73
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
I'm having issues with my Saints. I had almost no brakes when I first got the bike, cleaned the rotors and burned the pads, and got my braking power back but now it's gone again haha. I'm guessing my seals are leaking brake fluid onto my rotors so looks like a rebuild kit is in my future.
Shimano doesn't offer a rebuild kit, instead they'll replace the caliper under warranty. I got my new caliper from fanatyk in whistler. They were great to deal with.

Fanatyk Co Ski & Cycle, Whistler, BC - 604-938-9455

I bought a new saint for my knolly. Then I found out they would fix it for free. So now I have a saint on the front of my bottlerocket. It's a hell of an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Mountain bikes are so expensive because they are abused as fuck and need to be strong as all hell
Man, you hit it right on the head. I've broken my elbow, fractured my lower back, and won a race on my knolly. All it haa needed in the last 4 years is bearings and brake pads. It's a beast.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #74
Banned (ABWS)

I had a Santa Cruz V10...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #75
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
this thread makes me regret selling my bikes never had a DH rig but some DJing / park hardtails
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote