REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Why are bicycles so expensive?

I always wondered why some bicycles are so expensive.
The material cost, cost of meeting DOT safety standards, emission test, production cost, development cost, and if you consider everything, if just doesn't make sense.

Trek Session 9.9
$9,499
Session 9.9 - Trek Bicycle

Honda XR650L
$7,699
Honda Motorcycle

Trek Émonda SLR 10
$17,499
Émonda SLR 10 - Trek Bicycle

Honda CBR1000RR SP
$18,999
Honda Motorcycle
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Mountain Biking is an expensive hobby, always has been, always will be. The cost of the bike is a significant portion of this, but not even close to all of it, even the most minimal of body armor and protective equipment will end up costing $500. Then lift tickets if you go to a lift access place like whistler, silverstar, or coast gravity park, or the cost of gas if you are shuttling. I guess in theory you could also pedal yourself up, but anyone who has been on a full fledged DH rig with 10" of travel below them will know that pedaling is worse than amputating your own fingers.

Overall mountain biking is probably the most expensive sport to participate in, it certainly tops golfing, hockey, snowboarding/skiing, which are all considered super expensive in their own rights.

Road biking can be expensive if you want it to be, but it can also be cheap if you try a little, I mean seriously not everyone needs a 12.5lb carbon fiber road racing bike. You can make do with a $500-$1000 bike from any LBS.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
DH is probably the most fun you can have on two wheels. I never really rode with any armour; I was a full face, gloves, and shin pads kind of guy. Those 10k DH bikes you're paying for the metals, if i'm correct they're starting to make full carbon DH bikes much more available which is obviously stupid expensive.

And all the top companies put in countless hours and funds into R&D, so that's where the other cost is coming in from. Then on top of that you have higher costs for certain names, it sucks but it is what it is.

Fuck, now I wanna go drop 6k on a bike and get back into it...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

those bicycles you posted tailor to a small niche market
like those women's handbags that cost more than a brand new GTR
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm not in the bicycle industry, but if I were to hazard a guess: R&D and channel of distribution. My biggest pet peeve is that the pricing for bicycles goes up every year but the manufacturing have been moving off-shore to China/Taiwan. "Made In USA" stickers appear few and far in between on bicycle frame these days.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Whats the 0-60 time on those timpo? The Trek Émonda SLR 10 looks like it has good power to weight potential.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
Hermes Geranium Porosus, World's most expensive handbag sells at auction for $125,000 | Mail Online
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Roughly 30-50% of that cost goes right to the store. A large portion of it is all made in china. Look at the boxes they come in, it will say "designed" in Canada or USA. There is nothing fancy about them to warrant the price other than profit margins.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Roughly 30-50% of that cost goes right to the store. A large portion of it is all made in china. Look at the boxes they come in, it will say "designed" in Canada or USA. There is nothing fancy about them to warrant the price other than profit margins.
So? Can't afford it, get lost.

Sure Companies like Trek and Specialized, use overseas manufacturing, but these are companies who OWN their own facilities out there, they are not simply contracting the lowest bidder to built their gear.

And also Trek's high end shit is still manufactured on this side of the pond.

In any case though if for some stupid reason you don't trust the "overpriced" shit from overseas that you see all the pros rocking at triple the capacity you would ever ride, and you want USA or even local gear you are in luck, cause you live in the fucking CENTER of the mountain biking universe.

Companies like Knolly, and Cove along with MANY others build their shit right here in Vancouver.

On top of that companies like Transition and Guerilla Gravity build bikes in the USA.

This sport is for pleasure and as such, they can charge whatever the fuck they want, and most people will continue to pay it because its so much fun.

To say they don't warrant the price is pretty ignorant considering how many people are willing to fork out the price, you know what the wait is for some new carbon bikes? I had to wait 6 months for my Carbon rear Triangle for my Devinci Wilson.

EDIT: Also for anyone wondering, for a full kit devinci wilson, BRAND NEW were talking $6.5k all in...

This is a world cup level DH sled, the exact rig you will see FMB riders rocking.

Sure you can spend a bit more for other stuff but in general your looking at about 5-7k for a bike like this.

Also you can buy used for like $2500, and get like a 1 year old bike.

This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #10

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I used to enjoy your posts but they've slowly become more and more condescending.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Walmart bike $78 done.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #12

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
nice bikes are too easy of a target for thieves
live in a condo? scumbags will easily break into the locker room

no one wants to steal my supercycle...it has disc brakes doe
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #13
I don't get it

if you are in Asia, you can find current models of the high end bikes with a local chinese brand for 1/10 of the cost.

The part where the bike manufacturers own their own facility in China may only be half true.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Fuck you guys, i'm going bike shopping now.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #15

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
if you are in Asia, you can find current models of the high end bikes with a local chinese brand for 1/10 of the cost.

The part where the bike manufacturers own their own facility in China may only be half true.
Just go to alibaba.com. According to a friend who's pretty competitive in the sport, the quality of their knock-offs have close to no difference to the real thing at a fraction of the price. Not even surprised if it comes from the same factory, just without the branding.
Spoon is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #16
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Man, thanks for the sweet wallpaper
(Honda CBR1000RR)

I have a sweet CCM bike. Shocks, pegs,
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #17

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

Sure Companies like Trek and Specialized, use overseas manufacturing, but these are companies who OWN their own facilities out there, they are not simply contracting the lowest bidder to built their gear.

In any case though if for some stupid reason you don't trust the "overpriced" shit from overseas that you see all the pros rocking at triple the capacity you would ever ride, and you want USA or even local gear you are in luck, cause you live in the fucking CENTER of the mountain biking universe.

Companies like Knolly, and Cove along with MANY others build their shit right here in Vancouver.

On top of that companies like Transition and Guerilla Gravity build bikes in the USA.

This sport is for pleasure and as such, they can charge whatever the fuck they want, and most people will continue to pay it because its so much fun.

To say they don't warrant the price is pretty ignorant considering how many people are willing to fork out the price, you know what the wait is for some new carbon bikes? I had to wait 6 months for my Carbon rear Triangle for my Devinci Wilson.

EDIT: Also for anyone wondering, for a full kit devinci wilson, BRAND NEW were talking $6.5k all in...

This is a world cup level DH sled, the exact rig you will see FMB riders rocking.

Sure you can spend a bit more for other stuff but in general your looking at about 5-7k for a bike like this.

Take a chill pill. I worked at a local manufacturer and have seen the invoicing. Timpo asked why they are so expensive. The answer is so everyone can get a piece of the pie. Nowhere did I say I don't trust anything or can't afford it.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #18

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
we call it the "street bike" in Asia. More and more rich people who have no where to spend buying these high-end bikes. A low-end one can cost as much as 10,000cdn easily, those display model has a price tag of 40,000cdn, and it can go as quick as a car.

There is a shop near where I live, those bikes are super light. You can pretty much lift it up like this.

asian_XL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:

You're a pretty intense guy eh, he was just pointing out the fact that profit margins are high for those bikes.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Some of you touched on "Made in China/Taiwan" and less and less of Made in USA.

Fact of the matter is that manufacturing abilities, processes, and technologies are far more advanced in Asia than in the USA. American companies such as Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale, who were at one point at the forefront of an American manufacturing empire, nearly went bust because the quality was nowhere as good as their Asian counterparts (Giant is one of them who showed them what's up.) Cannondales were dubbed "Crackendales" at one point because their frames were known for cracking. And yeah, they were hand-made in the USA. Go figure.

There are so many factories in Asia these days who have the technology and raw materials and craftsmen who are capable of pumping out huge volumes of bicycles. Let alone the workmanship and quality of these bikes far surpass those of their American and Italian competitors. Don't be surprised if your Italian and American branded bicycle is manufactured in Taiwan or China.

Keep in mind - some of the higher end bikes are still manufactured in-house (i.e. Trek, Cannondale, Specialized etc.) but you need to remember that these are high-ticket bikes with low demand. Profit margins on current-year bikes are huge and it's normal for stores to make 30 to 40% on them. Shops have to be careful with what and how much they carry. Some shops need to meet quarterly, semi-annual, and/or annual sales targets in order to remain a dealer. It's tough to move high-ticket items/bikes as opposed to your run of the mill aluminum bicycle.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
You're a pretty intense guy eh, he was just pointing out the fact that profit margins are high for those bikes.
No he wasn't JUST pointing that out, he also took a huge dig at the fact that some companies have moved manufacturing to Asia, and tried to infer that prices should come down because of that.

As myself and BCRdukes are pointing out, the fact that they moved manufacturing overseas doesn't make any difference.

Look at any sport that most people do for pure pleasure, the profit margins on gear are RIDICULOUS, but people will pay it because its what they WANT to spend money on.

What do you think the profit margin on a $600+ Lib Tech snowboard is?

How about a set of golf clubs which cost $3000?

Hell I have a hockey stick that was $400. Probably only costed like 50 bucks for them to form it.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I had a Santa Cruz V10 with a carbon fiber front shock with like 8 inches of travel and all the gear!

DH mountain biking is fun, dangerous, and expensive!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I had a Santa Cruz V10 with a carbon fiber front shock with like 8 inches of travel and all the gear!
I can tell you right now... No you didn't.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
I can tell you right now... No you didn't.

OK, whatever you say, I was making 20k a month during that time and blowing money like water!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #25

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Back when I rode alot (6-10 years ago) I took my Norco Bigfoot (hardtail) up Whistler and did black diamond/double black diamond runs no problem. Without the travel, all I had happen was afew bent wheels if I landed wrong.

These bikes are for a niche market of people.
Lots of these bikes are just like cars. People want a fucking "super dope sweet" brand to show off. I rented some of the expensive, heavy duty soft tails and still enjoyed my hard tail more. All it did was make my wrists hurt a bit less at the end of the day.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote