REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I would choose the Koni/GC arrangement but Progress Technology coilovers are an excellent alternative. A testament to PT quality is TRD sub-contracting them to manufacture coilovers for them.
So I was looking at that PT brand and I was confused with the spring rate. What does that mean and is there difference in price? (I don't know much about coilovers or just everything in general, still learning LOL). That's a complete set that I just put on and everything is good to go?
Advertisement
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkii View Post
So I was looking at that PT brand and I was confused with the spring rate. What does that mean and is there difference in price? (I don't know much about coilovers or just everything in general, still learning LOL). That's a complete set that I just put on and everything is good to go?
The site provides an outline of the ideal spring rates for the differing applications. To learn more about spring rates go to Google and start searching.

I don't believe there is a difference in price based on the spring rate you choose. Yes, they are a complete set.

The vendors on Honda-Tech generally have very good prices if you're not looking to buy locally.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #28
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The site provides an outline of the ideal spring rates for the differing applications. To learn more about spring rates go to Google and start searching.

I don't believe there is a difference in price based on the spring rate you choose. Yes, they are a complete set.

The vendors on Honda-Tech generally have very good prices if you're not looking to buy locally.
Wait so with those spring rates wish is the best for me if all I want to do is just slam my car? LOL
Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
what kind car are you putting it on though?

if you're using some sort of old car, like 1990 Miata or 240SX and just trying to have fun learning how to work on cars, then Raceland might just be fine.

I would not put Öhlins, HKS、Zeal or anything fancy on cheap cars.

It's not like you're putting Raceland on relatively expensive sportscar right? I assume?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

As a daily driver, I would go with the lowest spring rates they offer to retain most of the comfortable ride.

Perhaps you could post a picture as an example of the look you're going for? Then we can suggest proper spring rates to prevent you from rubbing your tires away

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #31
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
what kind car are you putting it on though?

if you're using some sort of old car, like 1990 Miata or 240SX and just trying to have fun learning how to work on cars, then Raceland might just be fine.

I would not put Öhlins, HKS、Zeal or anything fancy on cheap cars.

It's not like you're putting Raceland on relatively expensive sportscar right? I assume?
I'm putting them on a honda civic 1999 so it's not a expensive car at all. I'm still deciding right now if I should get race lands or not because not racing with this car or anything it's just stirctly my DD. But since it's such an old car I thought putting something like racelands on them might bust something in my car. So I'm not exactly sure what I should do. Especially since I don't want to spend too much on these. Just want to slam for looks.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I insist that anything between me and the ground be safe, comfortable, and healthy. While that usually applies to when I buy shoes, chairs, mattresses, and pillows, I will without hesitation extend the idea to cars. I totally get that you're just going for the looks, but it's worth reminding yourself that you're tinkering with parts of your car fundamental to its operation. That's something that I personally would not compromise on my own car. I'm just glad to hear you're not looking for a 3" drop with springs alone!

My vote goes for the Koni Yellow/GC combo. If it comes to it, you can sell the shocks used for a fair price if and when you are done with your Civic.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #33
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i know a few people who used Raceland and rokkor coils on EK never had any issue, I've had plenty of setup, the GC and koni if you want to slam your car it doesn't go that low( had to chop springs to get low) race lands are perfect budget coilovers if you want close to stock comfort and to lower your car with height adjustability.

honestly i can't see spending 800-1200 on suspension if your car isn't worth that much.
karies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #34
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karies View Post
i know a few people who used Raceland and rokkor coils on EK never had any issue, I've had plenty of setup, the GC and koni if you want to slam your car it doesn't go that low( had to chop springs to get low) race lands are perfect budget coilovers if you want close to stock comfort and to lower your car with height adjustability.

honestly i can't see spending 800-1200 on suspension if your car isn't worth that much.
You can order GCs with shorter springs if the standard springs will not allow you to lower it as low as you'd like.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkii View Post
I'm putting them on a honda civic 1999 so it's not a expensive car at all. I'm still deciding right now if I should get race lands or not because not racing with this car or anything it's just stirctly my DD. But since it's such an old car I thought putting something like racelands on them might bust something in my car. So I'm not exactly sure what I should do. Especially since I don't want to spend too much on these. Just want to slam for looks.
yeah if it's 1999 Civic, then don't spend too much money on expensive coilovers.

If I were you, I would just get Raceland but that's just personal opinion.

If it's a brand new 2014 Civic Si, then sure I might think about mid-class coilovers like Tein Street Flex, Tanabe Sustec Pro or something.
But if your car isn't worth that much, just put Raceland.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks everyone for your opinions really appreciate it. I think I'm going to grab just raceland's for the fact that that my car is just too old and I'll be replaceing in a couple years anyways. Since all I want to do is just to lower it and nothing more.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #37
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Just make sure you are OK with the ride. If they ride like shit guaranteed you will hate driving your car. There's a reason I've only put 4k on my car in the last two years.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Just make sure you are OK with the ride. If they ride like shit guaranteed you will hate driving your car. There's a reason I've only put 4k on my car in the last two years.
LOL!

My shocks are blown but I drive that bouncy bitch anyways!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote