REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Hey guy's sorry to hijack, but my friend today was driving his friend's car drunk today, and crashed into a Liquor store, and destroyed a bunch of vodka. dOES HE HAVE TO PAY FOR THE Vodka? Or does his friend have to? Also his other friend was in the store and was injured by the crash, is he able to sue his friend too?
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #27
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Green doesn't mean "just go blindly"

Cyclists do not give an ounce of fuck about cars and nearly every cyclist I know personally has such a bad attitude towards drivers. I witness cyclists ALL THE TIME act like complete assholes to drives, and I love riding my bike!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Hey guy's sorry to hijack, but my friend today was driving his friend's car drunk today, and crashed into a Liquor store, and destroyed a bunch of vodka. dOES HE HAVE TO PAY FOR THE Vodka? Or does his friend have to? Also his other friend was in the store and was injured by the crash, is he able to sue his friend too?
JFC you must be bored
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Cyclists do not give an ounce of fuck about cars and nearly every cyclist I know personally has such a bad attitude towards drivers. I witness cyclists ALL THE TIME act like complete assholes to drives, and I love riding my bike!!!
We all witness cyclists being assholes, and we all witness motorists being assholes. Assholes are assholes, whether they are in a car or on a bike. Just don't be an asshole.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I enjoy seeing "asshole cyclist's" getting owned a lot more though, as opposed to the motorists.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
cutting off the cyclist who was riding on the side of the road going straight.
OP stated cyclist was on the sidewalk. Which means he was supposed to dismount his bike and walk it across the road. Failure to do so is his own fault.

I see shit like this all day long, cyclists switching from being a part of vehicle traffic, to acting as foot traffic when they feel it is convenient for them. Frankly it's fucking dangerous, confusing to drivers, and downright deadly.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
OP stated cyclist was on the sidewalk.
OP wasn't there...

Neither was I though, so we don't know for sure.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
We all witness cyclists being assholes, and we all witness motorists being assholes. Assholes are assholes, whether they are in a car or on a bike. Just don't be an asshole.

Cyclists get away with more because they have no license plate and don't have to pay insurance!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
had to re read the orginal post 3 times to understand, that english.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Cyclists get away with more because they have no license plate and don't have to pay insurance!
Same thing with pedestrians! They run across the streets all the time, those bastards! We should ban them from walking near streets - everything belongs to cars.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Wait, the BIKE hit the car on the side?

That means the car was basically done the turn, and the cyclist proceeded to go INTO a car.

You gotta clarify where the damage on the car is dude, if its on the front bumper or the front side, you buddy is screwed.

If its on the door or behind that means the cyclist hit the car, not the other way around. Since the bike proceeds at a much slower pace, the cyclist should have been able to see and react.

Cyclists also have the obligation to be aware of their surroundings, unfortunately most people aren't very self aware.

Totally depends on if the car side swept the bike.

Best of luck to your friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
If she does indeed claim, make sure your friend emphasizes where the damage is.

Damages from sideswipes and full on cyclist smash look different.

Whoever the authorities are (does ICBC handle Vehicle vs. Cyclist?) should be able to determine from the damage patterns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
i would say the cyclist is at fault because he was riding on the sidewalk and not on the street where he was supposed to be

was the cyclist a hipster?
Quote:
OP stated cyclist was on the sidewalk. Which means he was supposed to dismount his bike and walk it across the road. Failure to do so is his own fault.

I see shit like this all day long, cyclists switching from being a part of vehicle traffic, to acting as foot traffic when they feel it is convenient for them. Frankly it's fucking dangerous, confusing to drivers, and downright deadly.
ok so in summary,

OP needs to emphasize the location of damage and the fact that the cyclist was riding on sidewalk instead of bike lane on the road.

The only evidence OP has is the damage of the car.
It really is going to be OP's word vs cyclist's word...you can't prove that the cyclist was on the sidewalk.
You should still let ICBC know that she was on sidewalk though, because they cyclist might just admit it.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #38
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Fucking this. I always see cyclists rapidly switching from being a "motorist" to a "pedestrian" and often doing something illegal in the transition. I never had such a strong dislike for cyclists until I moved to Vancouver.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #39
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
The only evidence OP has is the damage of the car.
It really is going to be OP's word vs cyclist's word...you can't prove that the cyclist was on the sidewalk.
It's not hard. If the vehicle and cyclist are both on the road then they will be almost parallel to each other at the time of the accident since the car will just be starting his turn. The damage would be long scrapes/marks along the side.

If the cyclist was on the sidewalk, then the car will be getting close to the end of the turn and will be closer to a 90 degree angle with reference to the cyclist. The damage to the car will be in a smaller area (like a dent in the side).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #40

Quote:
OP wasn't there...
And since the OP wasn't there maybe the accident didn't happen at all eh?

If the OP states something as a fact, you cannot just barge in here and start saying something other than that.

Cyclists ride on the sidewalk all the time, and the cyclists who do so, are often the less experienced ones who do not like to ride on the road, and therefore are the ones who often do the dumbest things...

Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #41

Quote:
And since the OP wasn't there maybe the accident didn't happen at all eh?

If the OP states something as a fact, you cannot just barge in here and start saying something other than that.

Cyclists ride on the sidewalk all the time, and the cyclists who do so, are often the less experienced ones who do not like to ride on the road, and therefore are the ones who often do the dumbest things...
No, that's a good point, and I accept it. It is possible that this rider was on the sidewalk and crashed into the car as it turned.

The driver still needs to shoulder check though, and if she would have, the accident still would have been avoided. The point still remains that you don't just blindly turn without shoulder checking.

When driving, you have to be responsible for what you do, regardless of whether people are on bikes, skates, or walking. You don't just plow through people and go "damn cyclists they are such assholes!" It doesn't matter if they are assholes - like I said, anyone can be an asshole. What matters is that you're in a car and they are not, so you have to take care not to run people over.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #42

Quote:
No, that's a good point, and I accept it. It is possible that this rider was on the sidewalk and crashed into the car as it turned.

The driver still needs to shoulder check though, and if she would have, the accident still would have been avoided. The point still remains that you don't just blindly turn without shoulder checking.

When driving, you have to be responsible for what you do, regardless of whether people are on bikes, skates, or walking. You don't just plow through people and go "damn cyclists they are such assholes!" It doesn't matter if they are assholes - like I said, anyone can be an asshole. What matters is that you're in a car and they are not, so you have to take care not to run people over.
I agree 100% nothing absolves a driver of the responsibility to shoulder check, and from what I understand both parties here share a portion of the blame.