REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 09-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
and HC is HC, really. whether it be from oil being combusted or gasoline. in fact, the HC in the oil comes from the gasoline by means of blow by.

i do see what he's saying though. it may be harder for the cat to extract the HC from burnt oil and break it down
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
RS controls my life!

i'm going through about 1.5 liters between oil changes.
For the oil light to come on, it would have to be down at least 2.5 or 3 liters.

Some of the 08-09 4 cyl Accords have been burning up oil to the point where the oil lights were coming on. We were to check the plugs for fouling. Some looked wet, black with deposits and some looked grayish with deposits. The fix for that was to replace pistons and rings. Its a very interesting job but glad i wont be doing any more of them. Very time consuming. I can't remember if those cars were even smoking when they came in. These cars were typically down a few liters or so.

As far as honda's are concerned, i never found an actual spec for what precat readings should be, but we have done testing on newer cars and found precat readings are typically around .5% CO and 50-60 hc at idle. Not enough to cause smoking. I can think of 2 reasons why it runs slightly rich. 1- they just run better slightly rich and 2- the converter needs a feed gas to "light off".
Come to think of it...the old early 80's carbs before converters were installed, when they were rebuilt or cleaned, i'd set to it 1-1.5% co after, even thogh the spec was to set to 1% or less, with no sign of smoking.

I don't think oil burning hc's are detected during aircare testing. Could be wrong tho. But i don't recall it showing up on our shop's exhaust sniffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
it may be harder for the cat to extract the HC from burnt oil and break it down
good point, never really thought of that
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
it really depends on the condition of the oil that's being burned. a lot of times an oil burner will be the result of blowby. in which case the oil will usually be pretty rich with hc. one reason it's advised to give it afresh oil change just prior to testing

those precat readings are very nice. they don't seem rich at all really. actually typical of what you'd see from the tailpipe. very efficient!
personally when reading emissions though, i'd prefer to look at co2 and o2 before hc and co
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 09-23-2014 at 08:52 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote