REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #151
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
yes ur still slipping the clutch but no where as bad as reving the engine then letting go the clutch to slip it, or using the ebrakes to hold the car n slipping the clutch to overcome the ebrake force then releasing the ebrake
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #152
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
yeah i'm a bit confused with what topec is saying too

at most, i've been able to modulate the clutch without gas to almost hold the car on the hill and then give it some gas and let out the clutch normally. it's easy with a v8 mustang, but a 4 cyl tercel not so much
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #153
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Every time I sit down, clutch in and start the car, i forget about all the worries i have for the day, and just focus on me, the machine and the road.

That being said, I hate how it only has 140hp, but being able to control every aspect of the machine is pretty satisfying. I can't imagine how fun it is to row 6 gears in a car with 350+ hp
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #154
Witness protection

there is some give and take. when i had my type-r, it was all about redline and fast shifts to keep it within vtec otherwise i was dead in the water. but the car did everything right and the transmission was great so i was always finding enjoyment in that. with the mustang i don't have to go to redline and there is torque everywhere which is addictive... but the getrag isn't known for being slick and smooth like a honda transmission, so it can be frustrating when it starts to bitch.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #155
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughEntity View Post
I don't think there's much of a difference with respect to wear using the ebrake method or the brake + quickly switch into gear method.
I do believe there is more wear when people don't have enough practice with the brake + quickly switch into gear method, because they're rolling back and they're slipping the clutch to try to gain momentum to move forward.

I don't use the ebrake myself, because on most uphills I won't roll back after letting go of my brakes as I can get into gear really quickly. Practice makes perfect. I start on hills as quickly as on a flat road.
No matter how fast your reaction time is moving from brake to gas pedal, there is a brief moment where the car will roll back. The steeper the hill the harder it is on the clutch.

Not saying that starting from going up a hill without ebrake is wrong or not wrong. I prefer to remove as much of a chance for rollback as possible as well as any added wear to the clutch as long as I can help it. Over time, that tiny added slipping with the little bit of roll back does add up.

Using the ebrake will virtually eliminate roll back between the time you take your foot off the brake and when you apply throttle (if your ebrake is in good condition and your ebrake cable has good tension) so why not?

Either way it's fine if you don't stall or hit the guy behind you. It's just my preference to make use of the brake on an uphill rather than have just a little more cumulative wear on the clutch where I can help it.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #156
Witness protection

i still use the e-brake when i have to park on the hills of new westminster. it's been years of driving stick and it still freaks me out trying to parallel park on some of the cobblestoned streets
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #157
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughEntity View Post
I was told not to depress on the clutch for an extended period of time. Just to clarify I leave it in neutral and step on the brake when I know it's going to be 10 seconds or more of waiting before actually moving. When the light is about to turn, or the car in front of me is about to move, I'll already be in gear and take off normally
the only wear to depressing the clutch for an extended period of time is with the throwout bearing. After 24 years of use, my original TO bearing was still good to use. they're pretty tough so i think "extended period of time" here would be like...10 minutes imo
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #158
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
I tried the e-brake method when I first started driving manual. Stalled the car. Never done it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #159
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
The ebrake method is okay when you're learning or in a really tight spot on a steep hill, but for normal driving you shouldn't need it. You've got to abuse a clutch pretty badly to wear it out, way more than what a few hill starts will give it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #160
Need my Daily Fix of RS

bump from the dead

where's a nice parking lot in vancouver with a decent incline to practice without holding people up? can only think of walmart grandview hwy (but it's not very wide)
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #161
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Fuckin giver on the main roads, nothin to it but to do it!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #162
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
bump from the dead

where's a nice parking lot in vancouver with a decent incline to practice without holding people up? can only think of walmart grandview hwy (but it's not very wide)
I don't go to Walmart enough to know what kind of incline is there, but the Canadian tire underground has inclines. The exit on skeena, the big ramp in the middle to go between underground and aboveground parking. Also the entrance from skeena to aboveground where the Boston Pizza is.
Or if you want to stay in that area. Then go in the side streets that lead onto Broadway, like by the bc liquor store. Fairly steep and minimal cars around.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #163
I STILL don't get it

@R1CED if you're learning hill start, I found an empty side street next to a park last month and and drove up and neutralled/reversed down (this way, I didn't need to do 3 point turns)
If you want open road and some incline, how about SFU or BCIT parking lot?

Last edited by ssjGoku69; 03-02-2019 at 07:42 PM.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #164
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Boundary and Hastings!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #165
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Are you bringing someone with you who knows already? It’s all about friction point and being able to hold it on the clutch. That’s how I was taught; total game changer.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #166
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
bump from the dead

I learned at SFU Burnaby's parking lot. Nobody's there on weekends.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #167
I don't get it

Taught my friend at Annacis Island. There are slight hills there and enough room to learn to drive comfortably.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #168
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Alley ways are usually pretty good
Hcoreposer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #169
Need my Daily Fix of RS

filthy casual question: i believe by law you're to always be in gear whenever in traffic, but I came across the vehicle's owners manual which says to only clutch in during shifting to avoid unnecessary wear

do most just leave it in N if they know the vehicle's gonna be stationary for more than few seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Fuckin giver on the main roads, nothin to it but to do it!
feels bad killing left-turn lights
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #170
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I usually leave it in Neutral at lights. Can't really go anywhere in bumper to bumper traffic anyway to avoid something.

I'm pretty aware anyways and always look at the lights and count downs and anticipate when it's going to start to change so i don't have to rush to put it in gear. There were a few times where i wasn't paying attention when the light turned green and i couldn't get it in to gear for whatever reason. Ended up slipping the clutch to get going lol..

If you left your foot on the clutch pedal then you'll get cramps for sure.
Hcoreposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #171
I STILL don't get it

What do you mean by slipping the clutch to get going?

In 1st gear after the biting point, I inverse the foot movement of the clutch and gas pedal for a smoother gear change. Is that "slipping the clutch"?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #172
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
filthy casual question: i believe by law you're to always be in gear whenever in traffic, but I came across the vehicle's owners manual which says to only clutch in during shifting to avoid unnecessary wear

do most just leave it in N if they know the vehicle's gonna be stationary for more than few seconds?

feels bad killing left-turn lights
Clutch in at light is recommended for the lowest common denominator of driver, just like going 50.

N at stop lights for me, been driving manual for 15 years and never had a single issue. Always been paying attention at stop lights even when stopped, how long does it take to get going from a stop in neutral? 0.5 seconds max, still get going faster than automatics.

Ever seen someone launch a car into the back of another car because they accidentally let go of their clutch after holding onto it for 3 minutes? I have, lol
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #173
I STILL don't get it

Do you guys add gas before the clutch is fully released when upshifting to 2,3,4,5? or is that considered riding the clutch?

Right now I'm adding gas when the clutch is like 80% released, but I'm not sure if this is considered pre-mature wear on the clutch

edit: I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and I can't seem to find a definitive answer

Last edited by ssjGoku69; 03-04-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #174
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
Do you guys add gas before the clutch is fully released when upshifting to 2,3,4,5? or is that considered riding the clutch?

Right now I'm adding gas when the clutch is like 80% released, but I'm not sure if this is considered pre-mature wear on the clutch

edit: I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and I can't seem to find a definitive answer
Yes, you should be adding gas before you completely release the clutch. That should apply when up shifting to any gear.
Assuming 80% released is where your bite point is, ease out the clutch gradually as you gradually apply gas.

---

Btw, I always recommend this channel to whomever is learning how to drive manual:

IMO, he has the best tutorials and takes his time going through the different scenarios, including not minding to stall or lug his motor just for demonstration purposes.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-05-2019 at 01:36 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #175
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Boundary and Hastings!
you're not that far off from what i had in mind.

if you keep going north on boundary it will terminate at fellowes:

it's not as steep as boundary and hastings but its got less traffic and you can circle back for another try:

... just a suggestion.

Last edited by thumper; 03-05-2019 at 05:51 PM.
This post thanked by: