REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

learning to drive manual!

all you stick drivers out there, do you enjoy driving manual after a while? or do you feel lazy or it gets tedious and draining from time to time? How long does it usually take for a newbie to pick it up and start driving comfortably without looking at the RPM dial, and also learning hill starts?

I know how to drive a little bit driving it for a few hours today with my buddy, I still stall from starting the car off in 1st gear and starting off at a red light

Do you regret getting manual or does it just come as second nature once you get used to it without even giving it a thought while driving? I am making a decision on manual and automatic vehicle soon and don;t want to make the wrong choice! Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
adc
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Nothing beats the feeling of rowing your own gears and a perfect heel-toe. Manual all the way.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

for me personally, if you're driving a sports car, it's so much more satisfying if you're driving a manual. if it's anything else, i wouldn't care for it and would rather drive an automatic instead

it's just all about practice. it'll be second nature to you soon enough
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
When I first got my car, the first few weeks were brutal. Stalling at almost every single stop, people behind me laughing and etc, I had sweat running down everywhere. I even said to myself, damn I maybe should have got an automatic. But after around 2 months, I got used to it and there was nothing better than rowing gears. Albiet, I still wish to have an automatic in gridlock traffic

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Manual or bust.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
i would never ever go back to automatic. all of my vehicles have been manual and if i am required to drive auto i hate it. i get bored and day dreamy and easily distracted by shit cuz i feel like im just sitting there doing nothing.

manual or bust
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Manual all the way. Sure there might be that really rare occasion when I get pissed off at driving a manual car because I'm super tired and stuck in traffic on the highway due to construction. But that is a small price to pay for the joy and satisfaction driving a manual brings everyday. Driving an automatic (this includes dual clutch transmissions) is so boring and mind numbing that I feel like it would put me to sleep especially if I'm driving a sports or sporty car.

I would only consider an automatic if I was driving a point a to b appliance or a dual clutch if I was on the track and wanted the absolute best times.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Nothing beats the feeling of rowing your own gears and a perfect heel-toe. Manual all the way.
what is this heel toe technique? lol , also there's some conflict when I downshift. Some told me you have to double clutch when downshifting? Usually I clutch in, shift down to gear I want but the rpms still high as hell. I haven't tried rev match yet, I am not sure what that is. Tried learning from youtube as well but its harder watching on video than real life situation. I have been trying to find a driving instructor.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Manual all the way. Sure there might be that really rare occasion when I get pissed off at driving a manual car because I'm super tired and stuck in traffic on the highway due to construction. But that is a small price to pay for the joy and satisfaction driving a manual brings everyday. Driving an automatic (this includes dual clutch transmissions) is so boring and mind numbing that I feel like it would put me to sleep especially if I'm driving a sports or sporty car.

I would only consider an automatic if I was driving a point a to b appliance or a dual clutch if I was on the track and wanted the absolute best times.
do you constantly have to clutch in and stay in first in bumper to bumper situations? I see some people have foot on brake as well and staying in neutral without stalling
Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Wife said "Autos are for pussies"

She rows the 6 speed in the TL :P

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
do you constantly have to clutch in and stay in first in bumper to bumper situations? I see some people have foot on brake as well and staying in neutral without stalling
I leave it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch when I'm stopped. If its flat I also sometimes just leave my foot off the brake as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

Honestly, I just brought my first manual car today and learning for the first time was brutal. Stalling everywhere. After watching multiple YouTube videos and having a friend giving me tips. I learned within about an hour driving decently. Still not 100% knowing how to drive but hey practice makes prefect right?
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
shifting is a vital form of self expression.

If you enjoy driving manual is the only way to go.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
all you stick drivers out there, do you enjoy driving manual after a while? or do you feel lazy or it gets tedious and draining from time to time? How long does it usually take for a newbie to pick it up and start driving comfortably without looking at the RPM dial, and also learning hill starts?

I know how to drive a little bit driving it for a few hours today with my buddy, I still stall from starting the car off in 1st gear and starting off at a red light

Do you regret getting manual or does it just come as second nature once you get used to it without even giving it a thought while driving? I am making a decision on manual and automatic vehicle soon and don;t want to make the wrong choice! Thanks
About a week to get it all down and not stall. Driving manual becomes second nature and it shouldn't be tedious, lazy or draining.

Why you looking at the rpm? I also think you shouldn't worry about downshifting, rev matching, heel-toe just yet. Learn the basics and when youre more comfortable with driving manual then learn the above, it's not much to learn anyways

I can say manual isn't for everbody, some people just dont like it even after learning and owning a manual.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
I became bored of automatic when I was about 18, and wanted a manual car. At first, it was tough; not being able to find the bite point, stalling at lights, reversing, the whole shabang. But now, it's just second nature. You also seem a lot more in tune with your vehicle. It's not just point, go and stop anymore.

It's also a good skill to learn; you never know when you may need to know how to drive stick. I've heard of a few instances where someone was either too drunk or injured and couldn't drive their car, so their friend had to. Important life skill, IMO.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #16
#savethemanuals

^ or if you visit Europe and their rental cars are all manual and they will laugh at you when they learn you can't drive stick.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkii View Post
Honestly, I just brought my first manual car today and learning for the first time was brutal. Stalling everywhere. After watching multiple YouTube videos and having a friend giving me tips. I learned within about an hour driving decently. Still not 100% knowing how to drive but hey practice makes prefect right?
are you able to hill start yet haha. I honestly am having trouble when turning. Don't know if I should be in neutral when wanting to turn right at an intersection or stay in first gear and clutch? The people behind me honking like crazy is not helping haha
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I learned manual from practicing in empty parking lots. What helped the most was practicing on an incline, trying to balance the clutch and gas to make the car immobile. Of course, that does burn out the clutch faster but it was an invaluable method of learning. On the same incline, I would imagine a four way stop situation, get the car completely stopped, and then trying to make the turn without the car moving backwards.

I don't even bother looking at rpm, but I do have a CAI which makes the engine louder than stock. After driving for a while, you'll get a feel as to when to shift and what not.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

Hahaha no I haven't driven on a hill yet... *no hills in richmond woo*. I'll need more practice before I actually start driving on hills lol. I don't know either to be honest. The scariest is turning left because if you stall while turning left, oh no.

Quote:
are you able to hill start yet haha. I honestly am having trouble when turning. Don't know if I should be in neutral when wanting to turn right at an intersection or stay in first gear and clutch? The people behind me honking like crazy is not helping haha
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

When you're waiting to turn right or left, I usually just clutch in so I can just take off when I need to, instead of having to shift before I can go. I say after a month, you should have no problem driving around without stalling, but to be smooth, it's going to take you a little more time as you learn what the best thing to do is for different situation.
Also, once you're comfortable with the regular shifting, I would then start to practice slowly downshifting as you're approaching the traffic light. Nothing like rolling towards a red light then it turns green and your car is bogging because you're still in 5th or if you're in neutral and can't find the right gear. After you're comfortable with downshifting, then I would start working on rev matching while downshifting, useful when making a left/right hand turn where it doesn't require you to come to a stop.

Some things I can remember is, when you're starting out, try not to shift in the middle of a turn, just so you don't accidentally miss your shift and be stuck in neutral, especially during a left turn where there would be on-coming cars. If you're not comfortable starting on a steep hill, you could always cheat and use your handbrake to hold your car and once you get going without stalling, then you can release your handbrake. At the very least, you won't be rolling back which is quite a stressful situation especially during busy hours
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
I HERP TO YOU DERP

riding along this thread...

what would be a good, cheap/affordable , and reliable car that anyone would recommend on learning to drive stick? would a 3k budget be enough? or am i low balling myself too much?

given that this is a first manual car, im pretty hesistant in pouring too much cash into the purchase.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Don't know if I should be in neutral when wanting to turn right at an intersection or stay in first gear and clutch? The people behind me honking like crazy is not helping haha
Don't put in neutral or 1st gear when turning right. Put it in second gear... even if ur moving like 10km/hr. Too jerky in 1st gear.

Try putting lots of New driver or even Learner signs at the back of your car. People a little more forgiving. Or when you stall, quickly put on hazards.

Manual is super fun in a sports car... especially when I had an aftermarket BOV in the sti.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #23
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Nothing beats rowing gears on a fine sunny morning with a 6 puck unsprung clutch and a 10 pound fly wheel, it is by far the most satisfying feeling ever to have leg cramps 10 km's in!

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

A $60 lesson can save you lots on your first standard car.

Never coast in neutral or clutch in until your near stopped.
Coasting around turn is dangerous cause you don't have throttle control and also being in gear helps with traction.
Shifting during turns as a newby can end up in an accidental clutch kick drift.

For me, if I know I'm slowing down to a complete stop I'll just stay in gear till I stop but If I know I'm only slowing down but still rolling I'll heeltoe my way down gears.

If your still new and stalling I recommend learning how to rolling jump start your car cause your battery is gonna be dead. If you're on a hill and no one is behind you, turn your key on position put it reverse, clutch in, let it roll to a moderate speed then drop that clutch. Same applies to forward with 1st gear.

Driving a standard car is an art form, everyone has their on ways.

If you're learning to drive stick in Richmond don't even worry, people will just think you're a typical Asian driver.
KDMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

manual all the way. didn't take too long to learn, and it becomes second nature. i found learning on a civic was super easy and got the basics of it pretty quick.
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote