REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
riding along this thread...

what would be a good, cheap/affordable , and reliable car that anyone would recommend on learning to drive stick? would a 3k budget be enough? or am i low balling myself too much?

given that this is a first manual car, im pretty hesistant in pouring too much cash into the purchase.
To be honest, what me and my friend was that we went to an auto auction and bought an old junker for $500 bucks and just shit kicked out of that car. Easiest way to learn manual without breaking the bank and kicking yourself everytime you grind that gear or burn that clutch
Advertisement
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
Try putting lots of New driver or even Learner signs at the back of your car. People a little more forgiving. Or when you stall, quickly put on hazards.
This is true. I put an N sign on my back when I was learning manual, when I didn't need to have an N sign. It took me a while to shift from 1st to 2nd after a red light and the drivers tailgating me at the back would still think that I was a new driver.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #28
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Drove stick daily since I got my drivers license, dont mind the traffic at all. The key statement is "practice makes perfect" and drive as much as possible.

Edit: learning on a hill will speed up the learning process and skip all those bad habits you would pick up while learning on a flat road

I got an automatic car last year as a daily and I miss that third pedal. Till this day I still sometimes get in the car to find myself stomping a missing clutch pedal trying to start the car.

Driving stick is cool B)
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Not sure what neighbourhood you live in but there are hills at Robert Burnaby Park that are almost private.
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
Edit: learning on a hill will speed up the learning process and skip all those bad habits you would pick up while learning on a flat road
When I teach people, I get them to start from a dead stop, on a level road, without using any throttle. It doesn't kill the clutch, teaches the engagement point and is simpler for learners to only have to focus on 1 pedal.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #31
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
When I teach people, I show them how to do a burnout first

Then the rest is easy, LOL.

BTW, I love teaching women how to drive stick. Send me your girlfriends..........I'm the best.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
lansdown mall is the best to practice manual
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
When I teach people, I get them to start from a dead stop, on a level road, without using any throttle. It doesn't kill the clutch, teaches the engagement point and is simpler for learners to only have to focus on 1 pedal.
Still quite rusty but this is the way learned the sweet spot on my friends 2013 Jetta GLI. I stalled it over 20x until he finally showed me that you can make the car move just by slowly releasing the clutch.

Might be a myth but is it true that stick German cars are typically tougher to drive?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
You have to go manual. I'd hate to be the guy where someone hands you the keys, and you hop in but don't low how to drive. Ha.

Personally, I never thought i'd like an automatic but for my DD in the city I'd do it again.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #35
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
if your work is across town and its a 9-5 type job, manual is a bitch in traffic.. other then that, its pretty fun...

If its full manual, then you cant really hold your gf/bf hands (or other parts )
Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Stalling from a stop is normal for when you are still trying to hone the skill. The thing about it is if you don't own a manual car, it would be harder to learn. Learning manual is not like a switch where once you can go off from a stop without stalling you become a pro already. Its just like driving any vehicle. The more driving you do the better you become. Once you have "mastered" it though, you will never forget.

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #37
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Is it me or does OP seem like he wants to learn stick because he "wants to look cool" rather than "enjoying the driving"...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
if your work is across town and its a 9-5 type job, manual is a bitch in traffic.. other then that, its pretty fun...

If its full manual, then you cant really hold your gf/bf hands (or other parts )
More important than you'd thunk.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #39
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Go manual, while you're still young.

All the cars I've owned are manual. Now I'm in my 30's and the wife is looking for something automatic, I feel like I can have a 10 year gap or more from manual transmission vechicles and I would still know how to drive 'em.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #40
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
When I teach people, I show them how to do a burnout first

Then the rest is easy, LOL.

BTW, I love teaching women how to drive stick. Send me your girlfriends..........I'm the best.
Ohhh me me me what's yo number?

First time I ever learned how to drive manual was at an industrial area in Richmond in El bastardo's civic. I could barely go over this mini hill exiting the plaza and was already frustrated.
Then second lesson was in an m3. I stalled it middle of No 3 road and started panicking like crazy.
Then after few mini driving here and there I got a bit better didn't take me too long I don't think.

Richmond is pretty good for practice because all the roads are flat and straight. But you do have to be careful of all the c-lai's.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
I just learned to drive stick this March after buying a Miata. First couple days I was still stalling from complete stops and slight hills. But then I went to the neighborhoods in New West to practice on hills. It really helped me find the balance of the gas and clutch and where it catches. Since then I have driving without shitting bricks at stop lights and hills
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #42
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I remember the first time I drove manual in traffic it was absolutely terrifying LOL

Stalled on a hill twice at a stop sign the guy behind was laughing so third time just went to 3k and dumped the clutch

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
riding along this thread...

what would be a good, cheap/affordable , and reliable car that anyone would recommend on learning to drive stick? would a 3k budget be enough? or am i low balling myself too much?

given that this is a first manual car, im pretty hesistant in pouring too much cash into the purchase.

Fox body Mustang 5.0
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
This all depends on what car you are driving and what the condition of the traffic/road.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #45
Meow

Just bought my first manual car and will be picking it up saturday. Gonna try to get a few friends to teach me this week so I can drive it home, but will most likely just take lessons to avoid too much stress on the clutch.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #46
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I wonder if in countries where driving stick was the norm if people would have such a hard-on and so much pride for it.
Have only owned manual cars and don't regret it, but frankly I don't think about it at all lol it just becomes second nature. I don't hail it as some 'art form' or some mystical lifestyle.

There are some terrible automatic gearboxes out there and the last few cars I've owned I wouldn't even have considered getting the slushbox on ('88 300zx, '90 Miata, '00 Miata, '09 Astra). The BMW 8-speed, VW DSG, and Porsche PDK to name a few though.... well that's a different story. I've driven manual versions of the E90 M3, Mk5/6 GTI, and Porsche 997 and have never left impressed by the gearboxes; the auto-manual debate is very car specific but people talk about it like it HAS to be one way/way of life.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #47
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I've driven the E9x M3 and 997 with manuals and did not think there was anything wrong with them. The transmission is not as impressive as an S2000 but they still feel good.

The DCT on the E9x M3 is impressive and I'm sure the PDK on the 997 is too but it just got old really fast and I would leave it in auto 95% of the time. If I leave it in auto all the time then what is the point? Its just another automatic.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #48
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I've driven the E9x M3 and 997 with manuals and did not think there was anything wrong with them. The transmission is not as impressive as an S2000 but they still feel good.

The DCT on the E9x M3 is impressive and I'm sure the PDK on the 997 is too but it just got old really fast and I would leave it in auto 95% of the time. If I leave it in auto all the time then what is the point? Its just another automatic.
lol 95% of the time when you drive manual do you drive like you're in a Fast & Furious remake? Personally 95% of the time when I'm driving stick I'm in autopilot and don't think twice about what my feet/hands are doing. My point being it doesn't really matter and isn't as big of a deal as some people try to make it out to be.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #49
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I drive a 6spd and an auto. Both have their pros and cons. I lean towards auto more because im older now and its easier. When I was younger I was all about manual. Now I realize that a nice car is still a nice car regardless of its transmission.
SRTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #50
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Most of my cars have been manual. Never gets old.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D