REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

There are some people who always think the grass is greener on the other side , and it's those people who never find fulfilment or satisfaction in life. The endless search for something that isn't there.
Advertisement
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts

When revving the crap out of my Civic and the exhaust is screaming I feel like I am flying but I'm just doing 50. In the R8 50 in nothing The problem is you live in Van a terrible place for driving. On the Island there are tons of open highways (top speed 120 on one part) and lots of little roads in the middle of nowhere. To enjoy a car like that you need to get out of the big city.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Discuss, has anyone else experienced the same feelings? Cars that perform too well to be enjoyed on the street???

Widebody T88 Supra with steamroller 345 drag radials = sucked everywhere but the highway

Stock 5.0 swapped into an E36 with 3.91 gears and only 225/45/17 tires= SO MUCH FUN AROUND TOWN!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #54
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
A "shittier" car is also better in the way you don't always have to worry about it in the back of your head. Get home, park it out front who needs to put it in the garage anyways. Go to shopping mall park closest to mall instead of back of the lot pissing off your passengers. Don't have to keep worrying someone is going to door ding you. Wash it once a month instead of twice a week. Drive anywhere not worrying about mileage affecting your depreciation.

I want a shitter car now thanks.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Lots of interesting perspectives in this thread!

Though not 100% certain at this point, I will probably end up selling it. I doubt the 997 GT3 base will be a huge collector car, unique colour 997 GT3 RS on the other hand has already established a collector appeal. I will say the cup car 4.0 rear end would absolutely find its way into the GT3 if I do decide to keep it.

One side note, and this should really get the "WTF's" going, I am also looking at a 991 GT3 made to order w/ Euro delivery for that "once in a lifetime" experience. I would be expecting to sell the car after getting it back to America or hoarding it away as I will specifically equip the car to appeal to potential collectors… this however is looking less and less likely everyday.

I did consider the idea of moving into something slower and more collectible such as the 964 RS America, but then why do I want a collector car? Will just end up with a whole new set of problems whenever I drive it; fear of accidents, fear of door dings, etc.

Likely replacements for the GT3 include;
- ITR
- S2k
- EK9 (Likely a built LHD EK hatch)
- E9X M3 (Would love to hear some feedback from the E9X M3 guys given the scope of this thread)

Whatever it is, it will be very carefully selected and/or built

Rich people can keep their rich people toys, I'm trailer trash, why fight my natural urges to like more affordable vehicles?

I think the general point of this thread is to really drive home the idea that you can spend 1/10th the money on a car and still have just as much, or possible even more fun than the car that costs sooooo much more.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #56

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
A "shittier" car is also better in the way you don't always have to worry about it in the back of your head. Get home, park it out front who needs to put it in the garage anyways. Go to shopping mall park closest to mall instead of back of the lot pissing off your passengers. Don't have to keep worrying someone is going to door ding you. Wash it once a month instead of twice a week. Drive anywhere not worrying about mileage affecting your depreciation.

I want a shitter car now thanks.
This is why I like my GD STI so much, I can park it in a flood plane during monsoon season and not give two shits what happens.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #57
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Have you considered a base Cayman? I mean a base Cayman with a M/T, Sports seats, 19" wheels, and some other bits and bobs.

Last edited by bumsuck; 10-04-2014 at 07:01 PM.
bumsuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I still like my very stock AP1 S2000 way more than my STI on the streets

I too hate how the GV/GR STI feels from factory, I made it raw by throwing money at it . Even then, it does not offer the same "feel" as the s2000, the pedal position...the gear box.... the seating position...

On the track though, STI is more fun

(The only porsche I will ever consider is a late 930 & 964, the rest of them can get fucked)
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Anyone know if WS6TA is around? Would love for him to chime in his opinion...

On another note, this thread really makes me want another 8th gen Civic Si LOL.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

If you don't want the GT3 anymore I gladly take it off your hands

Spoiler!
Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #61
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post

Spoiler!
Noooo. i want it too

wanna sell the gt3 to me? I will go and have a date with it.
Momo251212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #62
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post

Spoiler!
can u afford it bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #63
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Wait, does this mean my car is crappy?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #64
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

at first, when i saw this thread, i was screaming "WHAT?!" in my head *cus doing that out loud at 2am just makes me look like a crazy person*

but then as i read on, i came to an understanding to your thoughts and feelings about the matter and remembered that, while i dont have experience driving fast cars or even a large variety of "slow" cars on the public roads, i do get the joy of driving a car that isnt meant to be driven in such a manner as opposed to a car that is WAAAY too capable and it feels like theres not even a point in owning a car with such capabilities.

as much as i do lust after a p-car or any batshit crazy super/sports car *i swear im not sharktank the ideal type of car to own personally, is just a moderately powered, light weight, super analog (im talking like, no power steering, wind up windows, no electronic safety aids and all that other useless modern crap) vehicle that i can drive 365 days of the year without having to worry about it 24/7 cus in the end, that is the whole point in having a car, to be able to drive it and enjoy it as much as you can.

if you want to just visually enjoy something in private and is too worried about taking it out in public wondering what could happen, just buy a frigging piece of art that has no other purpose
Spoiler!
[02-07, 18:27] Jasonturbo: Fuckin RS, full of broke ass surrians, you guys are such downers

[07-07, 23:21] Inaii: I had some really shitty chinese tires on my fb... thing squealed like a chick getting fucked up the ass for the first time every time

[10-01, 23:38] jinxcrusader: should've stuck with stubbz in the back
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Before you sell your GT3, would you like to trade cars for a week? You can have the 180 HP aircooled Pcar goodness
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 AM   #66
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
I think the general point of this thread is to really drive home the idea that you can spend 1/10th the money on a car and still have just as much, or possible even more fun than the car that costs sooooo much more.
I really think it depends on the person.

I autox/track regularly and I've spent enough time on track to drive like a granny on the street regardless of what I'm driving. I just have no interest in being stupid on the road, even at low speeds.

That said, slow cars on the race track don't do it for me anymore. I've driven past cars around tracks at 10/10s and literally felt totally comfortable ready to crack open a novel or start playing candy crush because the car just was not challenging to drive fast. My race car is at the point where it does things so much faster than I am used to in previous cars and gets MUCH higher speeds in places that where straight or kinks now require BALLS to stay flat. I could never go back from that.

A GT3 around ANY track, (even Mission) would do it for me. I would suffer daily driving it for the odd track day.

Now, SPEC racing with a group of IDENTICAL slower cars can INCREDIBLY entertaining for totally different reasons, however I would not be enjoying myself if I was the only car in my class - there has to be comparable competition.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 AM   #67
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
A lot of people go for GT3 after their E9X M3, including several of my friends. So if you decide to go down from a GT3, the E9X M3 or the F8X M3/4 seems like the logical choice. Basically you trade off performance for practicality, mind you I think you still get 911 C2 level of performance. They did name the E90 M3 the greatest all rounder car ever couple years back. I still think its relevant today.

My uncle planned to get a GT3 but then he didn't really want to keep an extra car sitting around collecting dust, so he went for the F80 M3. Personally I would sucker up and just drive the GT3, better than taking the bus right? Stop complaining! BUT, like my uncle said, you can easily live with an M3 for track/daily duties whereas a GT3 sadly won't... mind you hes around 40, so I wonder how bad is it to live with everyday for a 25 year old. You have the 997.1 non RS right? I think that's the one I would go for if my finances work out... I don't mind if you want to swap cars for a couple days! hahaha

Quote:
Lots of interesting perspectives in this thread!

Though not 100% certain at this point, I will probably end up selling it. I doubt the 997 GT3 base will be a huge collector car, unique colour 997 GT3 RS on the other hand has already established a collector appeal. I will say the cup car 4.0 rear end would absolutely find its way into the GT3 if I do decide to keep it.

One side note, and this should really get the "WTF's" going, I am also looking at a 991 GT3 made to order w/ Euro delivery for that "once in a lifetime" experience. I would be expecting to sell the car after getting it back to America or hoarding it away as I will specifically equip the car to appeal to potential collectors… this however is looking less and less likely everyday.

I did consider the idea of moving into something slower and more collectible such as the 964 RS America, but then why do I want a collector car? Will just end up with a whole new set of problems whenever I drive it; fear of accidents, fear of door dings, etc.

Likely replacements for the GT3 include;
- ITR
- S2k
- EK9 (Likely a built LHD EK hatch)
- E9X M3 (Would love to hear some feedback from the E9X M3 guys given the scope of this thread)

Whatever it is, it will be very carefully selected and/or built

Rich people can keep their rich people toys, I'm trailer trash, why fight my natural urges to like more affordable vehicles?

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 10-05-2014 at 03:20 AM.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #68

TLDR; OP is better suited by a FWD grocery getter, can't handle a real car.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I think for what Jason's perspective is on the car, the F80 would really be too much as well. That car is RETARDEDLY fast, and we are looking at deep into the 5XX HP area with just a tune. I know people will say my fanboism is showing, but its bordering on supercar levels of performance just like the gt3 with an extra pair of seats, and likely a less responsive feel (I can't say for sure as I haven't driven one but assume a 7 year newer GT car is less raw than a GT3.) I can definitely see where he's coming from, as if you push a gt3 to its limits and lose it, you are going to have a REALLY bad day, as we are talking the types of speeds that kill people before they can find the brake pedal. Its much more sensible for an inexperienced driver to have a more predictable car on the track near the limit. I'm not saying we all need ek's on bicycle tires to go and have fun. There are fine balances and everyones is going to be different. Personally though, I don't need to be pushing my car to be absolutely loving the drive. I can be out for a slow cruise down 16th to UBC and be loving it, or driving it 10/10ths at autocross, or 8/10ths at a track and I love it all. Perhaps thats when you know you found the balance.

*disclaimer* I still want a fucking gt3.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #70
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Buy a Cooper S. Great fun on the street. I was pretty close, but I need that RWD feel'in.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #71
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Anyone know if WS6TA is around? Would love for him to chime in his opinion...

On another note, this thread really makes me want another 8th gen Civic Si LOL.

He's not a car guy, just some rich spoiled brown kid showing off
Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

My S2000 was one of my favorite cars of all time... WITH the supercharger!

Horsepower has become irrelevant, the golden age of cars and street drag-racing is over and society now frowns upon our masculine urges to race our machines illegally

I wish we could go back to the 90's where racing was fun and the technology behind what made for a fast street car was still somewhat of a mystery

Just wait until all of the Hellcats appear with "N" stickers on the roads and witness the sheer douchebaggery as a result
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #73
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Uncle's friend just picked up his 991 GT3 In speed yellow.... what a car.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #74
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Just wait until all of the Hellcats appear with "N" stickers on the roads and witness the sheer douchebaggery as a result
That's more something I'd expect to see up here in Kamloops or Kelowna, not down on the coast. Well, not Vancouver or Richmond anyway...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #75
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Actually this thread also explains why I always opt for driving a shitty taxi or some sedan in gta 5 rather than supercar (i'm so playing that tonight)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: