REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #401
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
So, I know this goes against what the popular opinion in this thread is, but honestly this year I've ran all season Continental DWS 06s, and they're definitely very driveable this winter (all Lower Mainland). I had no problems whatsoever, uphills, unplowed. Also this tire DESTROYS wet/heavy rain conditions. However, on pure ice it definitely slides a bit more than I would like, and also this is a FWD car. Can't speak about treadwear yet but from what I've heard this tire also lasts for an exceptionally long time as well.

So in conclusion I would recommend this tire to anyone who wants to drive on one set of tires all year exclusively in the lower mainland in a FWD/AWD vehicle.. if RWD i would definitely get a dedicated set of winter tires (or if you're gonna go up mountains of course).
I;m running the predecessor to that tire the DWS's and they still have the S, but its starting to wear away. I know I'll need to replace them by next winter.

Overall they are ok, but I don't have the time and space to be swapping tires and wheels every fall.
Advertisement
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #402
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Decided to take my sottozeros onto a cul de sac thats on a slope thats unplowed and with 6-8" of snow. Car go stuck, tried to turn, ended up stuck sideways on a slope. had to straighten the car and back up the hill.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #403
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
I;m running the predecessor to that tire the DWS's and they still have the S, but its starting to wear away. I know I'll need to replace them by next winter.

Overall they are ok, but I don't have the time and space to be swapping tires and wheels every fall.
Consider getting Nokian WRG3 from Kaltire - they're an all *weather* tire with the snowflake rating that you can run year round. It's got a 60k kms treadlife warranty.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #404
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
Absolutely loving my Hankook Dynapro AT/M All-terrain tires. Have yet to get stuck on on any road. I have pulled out a few trucks such as a Ford Expedition (on Nitto All-terrains) and a BMW X5 on Bridgestone all seasons.

2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #405
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
I've driven through all the snowstorms this winter on X-ICE3's and they've been pretty damn great.

Car is a FWD econobox so no special tires needed, but these have been outstanding. For a run-of-the-mill passenger car, would recommend in a heartbeat.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #406
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
Absolutely loving my Hankook Dynapro AT/M All-terrain tires. Have yet to get stuck on on any road. I have pulled out a few trucks such as a Ford Expedition (on Nitto All-terrains) and a BMW X5 on Bridgestone all seasons.
Are they winter-rated? I was looking at them vs BFG KO2 but went with KO2 due to winter rating.

Also, I eventually gave in and put on my Blizzaks - I drive the Sea to Sky almost weekly, and past Whistler the highway isn't as wide or well-maintained. Some icy sections got a little interesting on the KO2s, and the Blizzaks have that 15-20% edge on them especially on ice that I feel it is worth it for the amount of driving I do.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #407
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

A simple and gimmicky way of telling is on the tread you see "D" "W" and "S". When the "S" is worn off then the tread is only good for dry and wet, not snow.

On a related note, I recently bought a set of DWS06 and it's been amazing in the snow. No slip at all when everyone is skating around. I have always been an advocate telling others to run winters but DWS06 really surprised me.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #408
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^ top shelf all seasons have come a REALLY long way in recent years. Can hold their own in a gvrd winter (maybe not an okanogan winter) but you can also run them at super-stock autocross and put down a respectable time
Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #409
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
A simple and gimmicky way of telling is on the tread you see "D" "W" and "S". When the "S" is worn off then the tread is only good for dry and wet, not snow.

On a related note, I recently bought a set of DWS06 and it's been amazing in the snow. No slip at all when everyone is skating around. I have always been an advocate telling others to run winters but DWS06 really surprised me.
I cross shopped the DWS06 with Pilot Sport As 3+ and ended up getting the latter. Cost me a bit more in the end but I was surprised at how well they handle in some of the conditions we've had recently. These new gen AS's are pretty incredible. That being said, still noticed a difference when driving around the wife's CR-V with Xi 2's on. That thing was unstoppable lol.
Arvi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #410
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
^ You'd be unstoppable if you were on summers

The DWS06 compared to Extreme Winter Contact, having owned both, the DWS06 seems to understeer slightly more and that's it. Stops just as good in slush or fresh powder.

Last edited by swfk; 02-08-2017 at 09:17 AM.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #411
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi604 View Post
I cross shopped the DWS06 with Pilot Sport As 3+ and ended up getting the latter. Cost me a bit more in the end but I was surprised at how well they handle in some of the conditions we've had recently. These new gen AS's are pretty incredible. That being said, still noticed a difference when driving around the wife's CR-V with Xi 2's on. That thing was unstoppable lol.
Do you drive a FWD car or RWD?

I'm asking because before putting on my snow tires, I had the AS3+ on my IS350. During the first snowfall time, they were BARELY okay on slush, but when the 2nd snow hit, I couldn't even get out of my alley ways. I switched over to Michelin X-Ice3 before this 3rd snow.

On my previous IS300, I had the original DWS, and it still seemed like they were better than the AS3+ in snow.
The AS3+ IMO are much better than the DWS in dry, but even in heavy rain, I find they can lose traction
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #412

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
The AS3 is going to be far inferior in the winter to a DWS, and the latter is true in the summer.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #413
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I've driven through all the snowstorms this winter on X-ICE3's and they've been pretty damn great.

Car is a FWD econobox so no special tires needed, but these have been outstanding. For a run-of-the-mill passenger car, would recommend in a heartbeat.
I'm on my 5th season with these X-ice3's, and they still make my car feel invincible in snow.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #414

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
^ You'd be unstoppable if you were on summers

On a serious note, the DWS06 compared to Extreme Winter Contact, having owned both, the DWS06 seems to understeer slightly more and that's it. Stops just as good in slush or fresh powder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post

I'm asking because before putting on my snow tires, I had the AS3+ on my IS350. During the first snowfall time, they were BARELY okay on slush, but when the 2nd snow hit, I couldn't even get out of my alley ways. I switched over to Michelin X-Ice3 before this 3rd snow.

On my previous IS300, I had the original DWS, and it still seemed like they were better than the AS3+ in snow.
The AS3+ IMO are much better than the DWS in dry, but even in heavy rain, I find they can lose traction
The issue with these A/S tires is that their snow performance falls off pretty quickly past the first season or two. Whereas with a snow tire the 4th season is good. My Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds lasted me 5 seasons, and they were down all the way to 5/32nds when I got rid of them. Could still get around fine.
fml
Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #415
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
That being said, still noticed a difference when driving around the wife's CR-V with Xi 2's on. That thing was unstoppable lol.
I completely agree. The only thing that could potentially stop it, is running into a snow bank and high-siding the vehicle completely. But I'm sure she knows better than that lol.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #416
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Also, I eventually gave in and put on my Blizzaks - I drive the Sea to Sky almost weekly, and past Whistler the highway isn't as wide or well-maintained. Some icy sections got a little interesting on the KO2s, and the Blizzaks have that 15-20% edge on them especially on ice that I feel it is worth it for the amount of driving I do.
Wow that bad eh? I know you mentioned before that it got pretty sketchy, but I didn't think it would come to switching out completely. But I know what you mean, I experienced something similar during our last snowfall with compacted ice chunks at hwy speeds. It was pretty discomforting trying to maintain flow of traffic and my SUV felt unstable.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #417
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Gotta say, I've been extremely impressed with the Blizzak WS80's on le gf's wagon. On the way back from the Coquihalla they were extremely stable at 120 on the skating rink of a left lane.

And for the most recent snowfall they've been amazing on both hard packed ice and snow. Was able to comfortably take all the alleys and side roads over the past few days to avoid the gongshow on the main arterials. I can't even make handbrake turns because they have so much grip

Since the X-ice 3 is the same, can't go wrong with either on a family car.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez160 View Post
Wow that bad eh? I know you mentioned before that it got pretty sketchy, but I didn't think it would come to switching out completely. But I know what you mean, I experienced something similar during our last snowfall with compacted ice chunks at hwy speeds. It was pretty discomforting trying to maintain flow of traffic and my SUV felt unstable.
I already had the Blizzaks before I got the KO2 anyways, the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came with the Ram were not great and not winter rated so I needed winter tires. I just got the KO2 this summer and it has been a solid tire. Very good. It's actually better than the DM-V2 in deeper snow because of the more open tread, but the lack of siping (it has enough but nowhere near the Blizzak/X-Ice/etc) hurts the ice traction.

The KO2s are a great all-rounder tire, but I want something better in icy conditions due to the amount of highway travel that I do. The Whistler to Pemberton stretch is where the S2S narrows down and becomes more curvy, more like the old sections used to be. There's less plowing and sanding around that area too, so the road conditions can be more sketchy.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #419
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post

I had Xdrive, so I guess that's cheating a bit. Regardless, the grip seemed to be good enough. I never had issues with any Hills or anything. Just had to brake early.
Arvi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #420
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Gotta say, I've been extremely impressed with the Blizzak WS80's on le gf's wagon. On the way back from the Coquihalla they were extremely stable at 120 on the skating rink of a left lane.

And for the most recent snowfall they've been amazing on both hard packed ice and snow. Was able to comfortably take all the alleys and side roads over the past few days to avoid the gongshow on the main arterials. I can't even make handbrake turns because they have so much grip

Since the X-ice 3 is the same, can't go wrong with either on a family car.
I've had the WS80s on my TSX for 2 seasons and they have been champs all winter. Even able to drive up ice rink side streets at a decent clip.

I dream of driving something like a Grand Cherokee with QuadraDrive with a set of X-Ices or Blizzaks. I'd be the Donald Trump of snow drivers in that nothing could stop me.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #421
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #422
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I dream of driving something like a Grand Cherokee with QuadraDrive with a set of X-Ices or Blizzaks. I'd be the Donald Trump of snow drivers in that nothing could stop me.
I've got an 07 Grand Cherokee with QuadraDrive II and it's fantastic, even with my ~1/2 tread General Grabbers. My friend has the same vehicle but with Hankook RW11's and it's masterful in the snow.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #423
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
All NEW all seasons tires do well in the snow for the first season, then the performance drops off rather quickly.

If you don't have the space / time to swap tires consider getting your tires from Canadian Tire.. they offer an option to store the tires for you. My condo dwelling friends relies on them. It is pretty reasonable.

Quote:
I had Xdrive, so I guess that's cheating a bit. Regardless, the grip seemed to be good enough. I never had issues with any Hills or anything. Just had to brake early.
The thing is you are talking about 2 different aspects.. grip and drive has more to do with the drive train.. brake has to do more with the tires. All winter tires unless they are new and the latest compounds will need to brake early.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #424
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
All NEW all seasons tires do well in the snow for the first season, then the performance drops off rather quickly.
Disagree. Not all tires are equal.

I have 5000 km on my Bridgestone Potenza's and they're awful in the snow. I would not recomend it for anyone if snow exceeds an inch. M+S rated too.

Tire Rack:
Winter/Snow Performance 3.1 - Poor
4.0 Light Snow Traction
2.8 Deep Snow Traction
2.5 Ice Traction

Quote:
grip and drive has more to do with the drive train
I'd take better tires on 2 wheel drive versus poor tires with 4wd/awd. When I was up in Prince George at -30 I was driving a Wrangler around in RWD 95% of the time and felt perfectly safe. Studded tires ftw.

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 02-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #425
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
PSA - 25% off Duratracs at CT this week

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: