REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #176
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoGO-15 View Post
You know what, you not friendly at all or even here to help people with car questions or inquiries about modifications. You see something you don't like, you jump on it and make the person look retarded for your own self gratification. Its not even worth my time to try to reason with you or your friend above who has the same mentality then you. Going to waste people's time going back and forth fighting like back in highschool and being real immature about everything. You troll revscene looking for a post you don't like, then want to start a fight. For what? Are you really that bored at your computer?

I'm not posting anymore after this, you can keep going on forever or post victory for all I care.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Go whine somewhere else.
Advertisement

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #177
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Go whine somewhere else.
Good to see you found another victim to your sad game of life, and you WON again. You deserve an award for this shit.
MuranoGO-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #178
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
REVSCENE IS SRS BUSINESS YO

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #179
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
I have a feeling some posts should be getting deleted from this thread but anyways.

Quote:
Anyways, you never really gave your opinion on the newer "all-weather" tire trend, what do you think of those
They're absolutely horrid and should never be used by anyone who has even the slightest interest in road safety. Intentionally designing, marketing, and selling tires that are terrible at all times is pretty shady on the part of anyone who makes them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #180
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I have a feeling some posts should be getting deleted from this thread but anyways.

They're absolutely horrid and should never be used by anyone who has even the slightest interest in road safety. Intentionally designing, marketing, and selling tires that are terrible at all times is pretty shady on the part of anyone who makes them.
Absolutely horrid and terrible at all times? That seems a bit of an overstatement.

I've been running Nokian WRs on one vehicle for about 5 years now and, while we rarely see anything remotely resembling extreme winter conditions on Vancouver Island, they've been fine. They're a hell of a lot better at everything than the OEM tires (Continental ContiProContact LRR), especially in the rain, which we obviously get a lot of.

The Nokian WRs are well-rated pretty much everywhere with the exceptions of extreme winter conditions (compared to dedicated winter tires), cold weather braking (compared to dedicated winter tires), and tread life (compared to all-seasons).

Are all-weather tires a good compromise? - The Globe and Mail
Quote:
With that perspective, here’s what I think of the Nokian WRG3s: they surprised me by being as good as they are. In -6.5 C temperature, they drove through accumulated salty water along the sides of the streets impressively, the car tracking surely without any aquaplaning.

On the second day of our ice storm, a nearby parking lot was left empty. The no-parking signs created a slalom course, perfect for our purposes. The car consumed those turns with surprising sharpness, and recovered from hand brake-induced doughnuts with acuity.

Foot-to-the-floor braking? Not so impressive. More expensive winter tires with softer rubber would have slid less as the B200’s anti-lock braking chattered ineffectively as the WRG3’s failed to grip.
All-weather tires vs. winter tires ? what's the difference? | Toronto Star
Quote:
Recently 19 different tires (nine all-seasons, seven winters, and three all-weathers) were tested for braking distance on ice. In aggregate numbers, the all-weather tires stopped 20.7 per cent shorter than the all-season group.
The dedicated winter tires as a group stopped 15.3 per cent shorter than the all-weather group.
On wet and dry freezing pavement, the all-weather tire is more stable and stops surer than a winter tire. In heavy slush both tires work well.
*The Star doesn't actually say where they pulled this data from or what tires were in the comparison group

Automobile Protection Association | 2015-2016 Winter Tire Reviews: Passenger Car, Minivan, & Compacy SUV Tires
Quote:
Ranked Very Good, this fairly new tire replaced the old WRG2. It is the best of the "All-Weather" year-round tires. A possible solution for the last two years of your lease, if your original snow and summer tires have all worn out. APA members who used the old WRG2 were pleased with its winter and summer performance, and tire life was good. Performance on snow is superior to many dedicated winter tires; the four-season rubber compound is likely a compromise on ice. Good handling on cleared roads, comparable to the best winter tires. A good choice for an all-wheel-drive vehicle if you're not prepared to bother with the spring and autumn changeover. Not enough long-term information to predict its durability in extended summer driving. Expensive. Popular on the Canadian West Coast as a tire for year-round use.
Consumer Reports lists them as a best buy under both the all-season and winter tires categories.

They also carry the Mountain and Snowflake symbol, meaning they do meet the requirements of Transport Canada for winter driving in medium pack snow.

I don't think anyone would argue that dedicated sets of good winters and good summers can be replaced by all-weathers without losing some performance and safety relatively-speaking, but I would probably use the term adequate or, at worst, mediocre rather than "absolutely horrid" or "terrible." They're not $30 Wal-Mart/Canadian Tire specials.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #181
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

I'd disagree there. I ran on Nokian WRG2's for four winters, including 08/09 when we had that big snowstorm around Christmas. Even in several feet of snow, the tires worked well on flat and hill roads. Went up to Whistler several times and had no issues. Rain was fine as well as long as I wasn't driving super aggressively (and who would do that on All-weather tires anyways). What I found them best on, was the slushy stuff when the snow started to melt. Only time that they didn't perform is when it got really icy, they didn't have much grip and I almost slid into a 4-way stop.

If you are 95% driving within Metro Vancouver, an All Weather tire between October and April is a good way to go, and then run summers the rest of the year.

I'm on Nokian Hakkapeliittas right now and it is a bit overkill for Metro Vancouver, especially during an El Nino year.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #182
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I would have to agree with Jmac here.

All weather tires tend to use:
- all season style tread with emphasis on water evacuation (Raincouver)
- soft winter compound (December to February)
- plenty of siping for snow traction (maybe 7 days per year here)

I would almost say they are ideal for people who stay within the lower mainland, if I hadn't already tried the General Altimax Arctic (huge channels for water evacuation)

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #183
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
At the end of the day an all weather tire will get you where you need to go if you're not in shitty snow. Sorry but if you're fearing for your life on an all weather tire in the sun or rain you should consider slowing the fuck down.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #184

Agree to disagree then, and it may be a bit of an overstatement (no way would I use the term adequate though) but I'm in the camp that if you're buying tires (the most important thing on the car) you shouldn't cheap out on some half assed rubber that's probably okay most of the time. If you're fine not stopping as well if some knob cuts you off go for it.

As a side note that line from the APA article about AWD vehicles being different is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
If you are 95% driving within Metro Vancouver, an All Weather tire between October and April is a good way to go, and then run summers the rest of the year.
If you're already running two sets of tires just buy good summers and good winters. I can't see the logic behind buying good summers and shitty "all weather" winters.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #185
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
I'm with underscore on this one. It depends on your driving preferences and what kind of performance you are looking for. All-seasons will always be a compromise. If you're looking at running them year-round it's a purely economic decision. There is no such thing as a high performance all season tire. If you already have a great summer tire there is no reason to be buying all-seasons as a winter set.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #186
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
I'm not posting anymore after this, you can keep going on forever or post victory for all I care.

Quote:
Good to see you found another victim to your sad game of life, and you WON again. You deserve an award for this shit.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:14 AM   #187
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Aaaaaaaanyway...

Having a bit of a debate with myself. Looking to pick up a new set of tires to replace my shit Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's and have been contemplating between the x-ice3's, Hakka 7's and Hakka 8's. Both the 7 and 8 are studded, the xi3's aren't. I've used a set of Hakka R's in the past and am more than willing to drink Nokian's kool aid.

However, what I've heard (and no idea if it's true or not) is that while studded is obviously better on ice and hard packed snow, they tend to lose some traction in fresh powder over non studded. Any truth to that? We get a strong mixture of both road conditions up here, so I'm not sure if there's any advantage to going with one over the other. Thoughts?

Also, worth going for the Hakka 8's over the 7's, especially if they're the same price?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #188
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I have studded General Altimax snow tires on the wife's CRV and i do not find any loss of traction in fresh snow.
I've also had studded snow tires on my old NX2000 and had no issues when we had that bad snow storm back in 99. Made it up SFU without any issues. My front lip on the other hand.

Just took the QX4 around SFU with my new Duratracs. I went looking for areas with fresh snow and never had to take her out of 2wd (rwd). Even stopped on a hill. A little bit of wheel spin and counter lock and she started to climb the hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #189
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I swear by studded tires, especially for driving up north or in the Interior. I don't think there is any loss of traction in fresh snow. I just had my truck out with studded Hankook R11s in 5" of fresh light powder and they were excellent.

I think studded Hak's would be a perfect winter tire.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #190

I can't see the reasoning for studs losing traction in fresh snow, but they do lose traction on clear pavement. When I was looking the X Ice 2/3 were the highest rated pretty much everywhere, but the 2's tended to be a lot cheaper than the 3 if you can find a set in your size.

I'm not sure how much difference in road conditions there is up in Kamloops vs Kelowna, but here the 2's have performed extremely well on my girlfriends Prelude and her sisters Celica, and the main roads are usually cleared down to the pavement the majority of the time.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #191
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Main difference is Kamloops is basically one giant hill. Kelowna is nice and flat, comparatively. I tend to leave to/from work when there is little traffic and the plows are nowhere to be seen.

As for losing traction in powder, I've no idea why that would happen. Just from reading reviews from random people it seemed to be an odd, and slightly common theme.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #192
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Just passed my neighbour in his G37XS, he laughed when I bough snows for my G, he has "AWD" and doesn't need snows. He's currently stuck at the bottom of our hill

cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #193
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

G's are the worst vehicle in the snow...I wouldn't enjoy driving them in the snow even with the best tires.
mciroc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #194
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mciroc View Post
G's are the worst vehicle in the snow...I wouldn't enjoy driving them in the snow even with the best tires.
I beg to differ. I've driven a few G35X with good snowies and they were beasts...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #195
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mciroc View Post
My RWD G is having 0 issue with good snowies..
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #196

Honestly, any vehicle with proper tires is going to be fine in the snow.
It's the cars without proper tires that are the worst cars in snow. That and cars that are too low.
For reference, I daily drove an S2000 and never had too much problems in the snow when I had new snow tires and didn't go too crazy with the gas pedal.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Main difference is Kamloops is basically one giant hill. Kelowna is nice and flat, comparatively. I tend to leave to/from work when there is little traffic and the plows are nowhere to be seen.

As for losing traction in powder, I've no idea why that would happen. Just from reading reviews from random people it seemed to be an odd, and slightly common theme.
The trick with reviews if weeding out the people who have no clue what they're talking about or who were using them incorrectly. Many of them are likely experiencing legitimate issues but I have a feeling at least some are from people who think having studs is like having 4WD or AWD (invincible in all conditions).

I did find this study from the State of Washington from 2002, it's a bit old but the summary on pages x-xiii (10-13) seem to be a good overview.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/rep...orts/551.1.pdf

Reading through that bit I was a bit incorrect about the reduced traction when it's clear, studs appear to have minimal effect on braking only on dry asphalt, other surfaces they're worse though.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #198

Quote:
Reading through that bit I was a bit incorrect about the reduced traction when it's clear, studs appear to have minimal effect on braking only on dry asphalt, other surfaces they're worse though.
For braking, accelerating, and corning, you want a softer compound because they are willing to flex which helps maintain traction with the road.

With studs, they stick out 1-2 mm from the tire.
On anything other than ice, the studs will reduce the amount of contact patch you have with the road which reduces the amount of friction.

I'll try to take some pics of my wife's tires to show what I mean. Once you see the wear pattern on the tire, you will see what I mean.

For corning, studs don't affect it that much because most of the studs are usually towards the middle of the tire which doesn't affect the amount of contact patch with the outside edge of the tire.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #199

The studding must depend on the style of the tire, because I'm pretty sure the studded Hankooks I got for SnowX have most of them near the outside of the tire.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #200

Quote:
The studding must depend on the style of the tire, because I'm pretty sure the studded Hankooks I got for SnowX have most of them near the outside of the tire.
Got any pics of them?
I wonder if the tire was molded with the studs in place?
I know my Generals were studded afterwards.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing