REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #2326
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Vikingcontact 7s handed everything fine, just a bit of a hiccup over some ice on highway 1 after a plow passed by. Rear end swinging back and forth a bit in an FWD of all things, corrected with a stab of the brakes.

Basically sprinting from Mary Hill ->Pitt Meadows -> Golden Ears -> 1 West in those conditions after spending four hours stuck in the worst of it, I lost my mind a bit trying to hurry home.
I am on my second season on the VikingContact7 winter tires and overall, for the winter we experience here on the West Coast, these tires have been excellent in almost every situation. Great wet performance, including the flooding we get on the S2S, good dry performance, you can hit dry corners at 100+ on the S@S without any roll, and the snow traction is excellent as well; I tested mine this morning with 12" of snow on my road and my Jetta just plowed on through it all. I would definitely buy these tires again and recommend them to others.
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #2327
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Bridgestone Weatherpeak tires did surprisingly well for a all-weather tire.

Lougheed was backed up so had to detour up and down SFU and there was barely any slippage.
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #2328
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,021 Posts
Probably need some proper winters next season on the school bus. The DWS06+ was ok, won't get stuck but wasn't the most stable and loses traction without notice. Full opposite lock drifts for no reason at all even with DSC on.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:18 AM   #2329
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
I told my pops to take the wife’s rx in our absence since his RX 400h has older tires. He said the cross climate2 was able to climb boundary road hill on that snowy day you guys had while everyone else was stalled out. He was able to get back home after dialysis.

Thank goodness for Michelins.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2022, 04:16 AM   #2330

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Probably need some proper winters next season on the school bus. The DWS06+ was ok, won't get stuck but wasn't the most stable and loses traction without notice. Full opposite lock drifts for no reason at all even with DSC on.
I run these as my summer tires. In the tread they have D W S siped in and as they wear, if you cannot see the S anymore, then their ideal Snow performance was worn past, W for Wet, and D for Dry. Have a look at the wear on your tires and see if you can see the S within the tread still.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #2331
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
My co-worker is from NZ. He told me the best way to screw sheep.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I run these as my summer tires. In the tread they have D W S siped in and as they wear, if you cannot see the S anymore, then their ideal Snow performance was worn past, W for Wet, and D for Dry. Have a look at the wear on your tires and see if you can see the S within the tread still.
I know that, the S is still there. Today on the icy stuff it actually worked quite well. I think it just couldn't deal with the heavy wet snow as the whole vehicle was just getting pushed around.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #2333
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
i have falken wildpeak trail tires on my subaru, i went up even steep hills with fresh snow and didnt even spin a wheel. also chunky enough to get me through deeper snow and frozen slush with no issues at all. really good for any sort of truck or suv! these are the more tame, city version of the wildpeaks that are not loud and heavy, they are excellent for just city driving as well with barely a noticeable hit to my gas mileage.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #2334
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
I know that, the S is still there. Today on the icy stuff it actually worked quite well. I think it just couldn't deal with the heavy wet snow as the whole vehicle was just getting pushed around.
I think the heavy wet snow was the trouble - if the tread pattern isn't aggressive enough (sipes/voids) you'd just end up smushing the heavy slush into a slicker surface until you can break through.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #2335
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
got my girlfriend a set of TOYO GSI-5 for her civic. installing them friday.

anyone have any experience on those for snow/winter? she was one of many that got stuck in the mess from earlier this week with seemingly new all seasons.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #2336
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Good but noisy - very aggressive winter tires.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:10 AM   #2337
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post

anyone have any experience on those for snow/winter? she was one of many that got stuck in the mess from earlier this week with seemingly new all seasons.

Those circle nublets looks like barnacles and the swiggly line looks like the hair on a Persian guys arm.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:11 AM   #2338

Quote:

I have these on my Frontier in 33" tires for the last few winters and they have been really good in most conditions; not the best on ice for a heavy truck, but then I find only studs help on ice with a truck. My nephew worked at a tire shop, recommended these Toyos as they sipe all the way to the wear bar and have great road handling in the dry, wet, and deep snow. Good tires, just wish I could stud mine for the icy back roads I travel - instead, I use chains.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #2339

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Is it worth paying $100 more to get tires at costco for warranty?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #2340
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Is it worth paying $100 more to get tires at costco for warranty?
Depends. If it’s a Surrey shop or something, I think I’d rather go Costco. But if it’s say kal tire or fountain tire, a shop with a good rep and long history, save that hundred bucks and fill your car up instead lol
Old 12-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #2341
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Anyone been up to Whistler in the past 24 hours? Hows the S2S looking?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #2342

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Check this out

https://drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/webcam...kyHighway.html
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #2343

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Anyone been up to Whistler in the past 24 hours? Hows the S2S looking?
The highway is clear, snow was melting a little today with the salt and 1c temp.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #2344
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Vikingcontact 7s handed everything fine, just a bit of a hiccup over some ice on highway 1 after a plow passed by. Rear end swinging back and forth a bit in an FWD of all things, corrected with a stab of the brakes.

Basically sprinting from Mary Hill ->Pitt Meadows -> Golden Ears -> 1 West in those conditions after spending four hours stuck in the worst of it, I lost my mind a bit trying to hurry home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I am on my second season on the VikingContact7 winter tires and overall, for the winter we experience here on the West Coast, these tires have been excellent in almost every situation. Great wet performance, including the flooding we get on the S2S, good dry performance, you can hit dry corners at 100+ on the S@S without any roll, and the snow traction is excellent as well; I tested mine this morning with 12" of snow on my road and my Jetta just plowed on through it all. I would definitely buy these tires again and recommend them to others.
My gf's car has Viking Contact 7 (second season) and I also had Viking Contact 7 on my old work car last season and they were amazing. I would consider them to be the best bang for your buck as far as dedicated winter tires go. Did notice it's not as good on ice than X-ice Snow but they do cost a bit more depending on sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #2345

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:

My first season on a set of like new GSI 6 and it's been doing well for me after about 4k kms. Yes they are noisy, but they handle pretty decently for winters. I lose traction when there's too much initial throttle, so I've been driving on eco mode, but that's probably normal for an EV in wet conditions.

I haven't been driving in any deep snow/unplowed roads so far, but it's been doing well handling the leftover black ice within side streets.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #2346
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Tire brands need to get together and do a big PR thing in the lower mainland. Set up and “test drive” in snowy conditions (safely like an autox skidpad) with an suv on modern summer tires and then proper winters.

I genuinely think people are resistant and so “all seasons do just fine” because they’ve never driven on snows and has felt how big of a difference it really is
Old 12-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #2347
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
They’d have to entice those typical drivers with free swag and food samples to get them to participate in such an exercise.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #2348

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Tire brands need to get together and do a big PR thing in the lower mainland. Set up and “test drive” in snowy conditions (safely like an autox skidpad) with an suv on modern summer tires and then proper winters.

I genuinely think people are resistant and so “all seasons do just fine” because they’ve never driven on snows and has felt how big of a difference it really is
A lot of ppl know, but the typical response is oh why do I want to spend $1000 or more for one day a year, I'll just not drive. Then proceed to need to go get coffee from starbucks because they are shitty and get stuck.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #2349
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Shouldn't this gongshow every couple years be making it pretty obvious? Yet it keeps happening.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #2350
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
A lot of ppl know, but the typical response is oh why do I want to spend $1000 or more for one day a year, I'll just not drive. Then proceed to need to go get coffee from starbucks because they are shitty and get stuck.
For me, I couldn't give a damn if they want to run all seasons or summer because if they get stuck and they freeze in the cold that is their problem. What bothers me is they get stuck and you can't go around them and you can't back up, so now you also are in the middle of the shit storm they created.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote