REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
I have no idea what the mood is in Vancouver right now, but in Ottawa, we're all following this pretty closely.
Increased security around transit and the skytrain, and LEO's are on alert. Ottawa is a long way away from Vancouver, but still close enough that people are thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
The soldier that got shot died
RIP to the poor guy.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Increased security around transit and the skytrain, and LEO's are on alert. Ottawa is a long way away from Vancouver, but still close enough that people are thinking about it.

I didn't notice any of that when I was on my way to work using the skytrain but then I was half asleep
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
God damn Canada Line
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
man, this is pretty scary stuff. Was listening to CBC this morning and couldn't believe it. Feels very close to home. RIP to the solider that died. A damn shame.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
-hope the RCMP catch those shooters ASAP. They're gonna pay for what they did to that soldier.

Last edited by pastarocket; 02-25-2015 at 06:28 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
The guy killed Somone and maybe others and caused mad terror for people, gotta always laugh when people go "oh they're gonna get him good"

Nah, this guy got everyone good.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Leafs/Sens game postponed because of this.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Gunman killed in Parliament attack named as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian born in 1982, American media report claims
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #34

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Leafs/Sens game postponed because of this.
Nobody gives a shit about a stupid game right after an event like this...

RIP to the soldier who lost his life today. Condolences to all the families involved in this tragedy.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Gunman killed in Parliament attack named as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian born in 1982, American media report claims
link?
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Nevermind I found it

Gunman in Ottawa attack identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau | CTV News
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #37
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
RIP Cpl Nathan Cirillo

JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #38
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
cbc said nbc reported suspected terrorist plans for this week in canada, 10 days ago. when cbc asked about it, it was downplayed..
Not sure what you mean by this but I'd rather our media outlets downplay stuff than like the outlets in the US that just pump fear into the citizens.

There's nothing the average citizen can do about whatever's going on, except for having faith in CSIS and other government agencies
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

From my Twitter feed: "sources tell Globe and Mail that he [shooter] was recently designated “high-risk traveler” and government seized his passport."

The man who hit the soldier with his vehicle in Quebec also had his passport seized.

Not too familiar with the policy side of things, but interested in knowing what led government to make the decision to seize passports. Are they increasing the risk of things happening inside our borders?

How would a policy look if they let them leave and didn't let them back into the country?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #40
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Most of them who are on the radar these days are ones they've identified as risks to go join ISIS etc
Old 10-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
I don't see how this same event would take place in DC. Makes you question what security measures we have in place around Parliament.
It's an important part of being Canadian; there is a sense of trust which exists between people.

Being able to walk into the House or a Legislature and sit in the gallery without having to go though a naked body scanner while being watched by paramilitary police force covered in body armour carrying a rifle brings a sense of trust.
By changing this, we succumb to fear. Any changes to normal security procedure by locking doors in the House or giving shotguns to police on normal patrols is purely reactionary.

But what about The October Crisis?
Pierre "Just Watch Me" Trudeau's provisions fell out of force and life returned to normal after the FLQ were sorted. If such a high level of security remained around all MPs and it became an accepted norm in Canadian society; we would have a very different feeling in Canada from then until today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Not too familiar with the policy side of things, but interested in knowing what led government to make the decision to seize passports. Are they increasing the risk of things happening inside our borders?

How would a policy look if they let them leave and didn't let them back into the country?
That is to prevent them from leaving Canada to join ISIS/ISIL/NameOfTheDay in the ground war in the middle east.

Can't pull their citizenship (let them leave but not return) because that creates a stateless person.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
ISIS claims this is the shooter:

Old 10-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,127 Times in 134 Posts
Fits the description...
bicboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #44
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
^Because ISIS isn't a threat domestically, plain and simple.

(((taken from the ISIS thread)))
I think you said that a few times in that thread....

K now what?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #45
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver link;

Quote:
VANCOUVER — Police officials are looking into community ties a suspect in the Wednesday shooting of an Ottawa soldier may have had in this province, said the head of the B.C. Muslim Association.

Aasim Rashid said in an interview that he had not heard the name Michael Zehaf Bibeau before Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was shot while standing guard at Ottawa's National War Memorial, just a few dozen metres from Parliament Hill.

Authorities are "asking us have you heard of this guy, have you heard the name, does any of this strike a bell," said Rashid. "They're not going to tell us what they know, but they're just trying to establish whether this person had actual ties with the community or not."

Rashid said that as far as he knew, the man was not a member of B.C.'s mainstream Islamic community.

Citing U.S. intelligence sources, CBS News identified the attacker as Canadian-born Michael Zehaf Bibeau, 32.

Zehaf Bibeau did however have ties to this province as recent as 2012, court records show.

He was charged with a robbery that took place in Vancouver on Dec. 16, 2011, and convicted of uttering threats in February 2012. He spent one day in jail for the conviction.

Vancouver defence lawyer Brian Anderson was listed in the court documents as counsel for Zehaf Bibeau. He said he did not recall the man, adding that he may have represented him as duty counsel.

Randy Fincham, a Vancouver Police Department spokesman, said the VPD and B.C. RCMP are assisting the Ottawa City Police and RCMP National Security with their investigation.

"Due to the ongoing investigation, there is little information we can share at this time," he said.

mrobinson@vancouversun.com

Read more: Suspect in Parliament Hill shooting charged in Vancouver in 2011 robbery
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #46
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
It's disgusting to hear about these cowardly individuals shooting an innocent man who was just doing this job.

The U.S, Canada, and its allies need to step up their plans to get ride of these scumbags. -hearing that Obama doesn't want troops on the ground to take these guys out. Bombing raids by fighter jets won't be effective against ISIS. They need to use soldiers, special forces personnel to fuck them up real good.

Canada is not intimidated by this incident. I know some people overseas who think Canada is a "peace loving country, with nice, polite people". They think our country can be pushed around.

Fuck that! Although I do not support PM Harper and his party, I echo his sentiments about today's attack on Parliament. Our country will not be intimidated.

Last edited by pastarocket; 10-22-2014 at 04:45 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #47
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
looks like ISIS are giving the west more desire to wipe the middle east off the map...
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #48
I STILL don't get it

Utilitarianism; noun: destroy the entire middle east.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #49

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Sharing news related to the story - an NHL game being postponed, earns fails, interesting. Guess everyone handles an event like this differently. He's more to fail then: An NHL team (Leafs) were told to stay away from their hotel windows during an ongoing situation due to their proximity. Also sharing that the at the start of the Flyers/Pens game, they sang O'Canada to show solidarity.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #50
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Sharing news related to the story - an NHL game being postponed, earns fails, interesting. Guess everyone handles an event like this differently. He's more to fail then: An NHL team (Leafs) were told to stay away from their hotel windows during an ongoing situation due to their proximity. Also sharing that the at the start of the Flyers/Pens game, they sang O'Canada to show solidarity.
You seriously can't be that daft.

Do you know what "inappropriate" means?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote