REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Sharing news related to the story - an NHL game being postponed, earns fails, interesting. Guess everyone handles an event like this differently. He's more to fail then: An NHL team (Leafs) were told to stay away from their hotel windows during an ongoing situation due to their proximity. Also sharing that the at the start of the Flyers/Pens game, they sang O'Canada to show solidarity.
If you are going to try and post some crap about hockey that actually pertains to the matter and shows some level of consideration for the loss of life from today, post this:

Pittsburgh Penguins show solidarity by playing 'O Canada' - NHL on CBC Sports - Hockey news, opinion, scores, stats, standings

Good on the Penguins. That's a class act.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Having little to go on as I drove to work before 8am and being desensitized to the hype of MSM, I thought perhaps the story was being a tad overblown. Later on, my gf texted me to tell me I wouldn't be watching my Leafs game because it had been postponed due to the shooting in Ottawa. For me, that told me it was a pretty big deal on the level of the Bruins/Sens game being postponed due to the Boston Bombing. Posting the postponement news was my attempt at elaborating the scale of the situation. If that is inappropriate, so be it.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #53
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Increased security around transit and the skytrain, and LEO's are on alert. Ottawa is a long way away from Vancouver, but still close enough that people are thinking about it.

RIP to the poor guy.
I was wondering what that was all about, it was really odd to see armed police officers (not just transit police) at random places around the station.

I found out about this in the afternoon and it was a great shock.

RIP.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Guess everyone handles an event like this differently
because double standards

when a notable shooting in the US pops up responses here typically go

MURRICA fuck ya
ONLY IN 'Merica
omg bans all the gun, lol rednecks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #55
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
only two people shot and they took care of the shooter right away. Remember the parliament is a public place so I personally think it was handled correctly and quickly from what I have heard/seen so far.
Agreed. Those who have never been to the paliament buildings and its surrounding areas should just hold off on the comments. It is very public, as in people are allowed to be just about anywhere.

Canada is never going to be the same again. We are now targets just like the US.

All of us have to do our part by being on alert when on transit and walking the streets. Be on the look out for anything suspicious and report it right away.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #56
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
Vancouver link;
So it sounds like this guy was probably a crackhead who got crazy from youtube and "converted" radically like so many of the recent homegrown criminals

Like the couple that tried to conduct bombings on Canada Day who were crackheads from Surrey, etc. and they all seem to have ties to BC...

We really need to improve our mental health services, especially in BC which has been neglecting that for a decade + now thanks to the Libs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Canada is never going to be the same again. We are now targets just like the US.
and that's thanks to Harper for turning us from Peacekeepers to War Puppets and as mentioned below by willy i hope Harper doesn't use these incidents to turn us more into the US

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-22-2014 at 06:38 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #57
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
From my Twitter feed: "sources tell Globe and Mail that he [shooter] was recently designated “high-risk traveler” and government seized his passport."

The man who hit the soldier with his vehicle in Quebec also had his passport seized.

Not too familiar with the policy side of things, but interested in knowing what led government to make the decision to seize passports. Are they increasing the risk of things happening inside our borders?

How would a policy look if they let them leave and didn't let them back into the country?
Right there in the first page of the passport, the very first line of the passport says that "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada." This means the passport is not yours -- it is merely something that the government has granted you its usage. This means the government reserves the right to revoke that usage rights of yours any time at their discretion.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #58
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

All of us have to do our part by being on alert when on transit and walking the streets. Be on the look out for anything suspicious and report it right away.
I do not agree that we have now become targets just like the US (and maybe the UK). Having coordinated terror attacks from external groups is still quite different than dealing with home grown terror attacks. Neither is good, obviously. But if I may say so, at least with home grown terror attacks, authorities have a significantly larger number of options to handle them.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #59
HELP ME PLS!!!

I agree with Traum

If I may, I'd like to say that I hope the federal government will not use this as a precedent to push laws that will strip away our rights and freedom, because Harper did indicate tonight that he wants to tighten national security.

Because that's what's been happening down south in America in the last few years, and I would not want to see that happen here.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #60
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
First off, RIP to Cpl Nathan Cirillo.

I've been overseas in a PMC capacity and I'll say Canada has always been on the radar as a target for terrorist groups and extremist. Without going into much detail, I've seen first hand evidence of plotting against Canada and Canadians in the past. Intelligence, military and police services have put a lot barriers in place to prevent some incidents, a lot of these extremist groups & individual aren't too competent and Canada while a target on their wish list, is low on their "wishlist" of desired targets, compared to the US and UK. Fortunately these incidents are rare, but it would be naive to think Canada or Canadians have never been on terror group or extremists radars until recently.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

https://twitter.com/megunder/status/...454900225?s=04
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #62
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawless View Post
RIP guardian of our country
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

RS beatdown crew may soon become a real thing is this evolves to Vancouver.
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #64
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts

not much, but video of the suspect moments after he killed the guard at the memorial -- crazy to hear about this happening on Canadian soil. Really hits close to home
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #65
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
A lot of people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Thousands of people die from smoking, drug abuse, car accidents, and violence every year, and suddenly the death of one man is a national tragedy? You're saying that because this happened at Parliment Hill, Canada has somehow changed?

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

An occupation does not define a man or woman, nor does it make him or her worth more than anyone else. By the looks of it, every day should be a tragedy in North America, because we seem to give so much of a shit about everyone, right?

Wrong, the majority of people simply do not care unless it is convenient to mourn. When one man decides to shoot up Parliment Hill, we all collectively lose our shit, but why? Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things? Will this change the way you wake up in the morning?

It's shitty, but shitty things happen to decent people every day in other parts of the world, and less than a single thought is given towards those unsung victims in your own group of friends until it's paraded by a major media outlet (or two). Children die in piss poor regions of Africa to gun violence every day, what makes them so much less worthy of our rage?

Does it suck that that man died? Yes.

Does it matter in my life? No.

Am I scared because of this? No.

Should Canada change because of this? No.

You will live to work another day, save your objections, wake up and understand the world you live in, you're being too sensitive.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 10-22-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #66
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post

Thousands of people die from smoking, drug abuse, car accidents, and violence every year, and suddenly the death of two men is a national tragedy? You're saying that because this happened at Parliment Hill, Canada has somehow changed?

An occupation does not define a man or woman, nor does it make him or her worth more than anyone else. By the looks of it, every day should be a tragedy in North America, because we seem to give so much of a shit about everyone, right?

Wrong, the majority of people simply do not care unless it is convenient to mourn. When one man decides to shoot up Parliment Hill, we all collectively lose our shit, but why? Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things? Will this change the way you wake up in the morning?

It's shitty, but shitty things happen to decent people every day in other parts of the world, and less than a single thought is given towards those unsung victims in your own group of friends until it's paraded by a major media outlet (or two). Children die in piss poor regions of Africa to gun violence every day, what makes them so much less worthy of our rage?

Does it suck that those men died? Yes.

You will live to work another day, save your objections, wake up and understand the world you live in, you're being too sensitive.
It does matter in your life because you live in the country where it happened. If anyone isn't safe in the capitol of a country, it goes against everything government stands for -- a government's ability to protect its citizens is one of the pillars of modern day governments. I know you're trying to seem intelligent by playing the devil's advocate but this is neither the time or place to do so

You can't quantify this in terms of lives lost, it's a war of principles.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i'm not shaken up one bit
in fact, if a major attack happened on the west coast even in southern California I'd be more worried
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
It does matter in your life because you live in the country where it happened. If anyone isn't safe in the capitol of a country, it goes against everything government stands for -- a government's ability to protect its citizens is one of the pillars of modern day governments. I know you're trying to seem intelligent by playing the devil's advocate but this is neither the time or place to do so

You can't quantify this in terms of lives lost, it's a war of principles.

I'm a nihilist, it will always seem like I'm playing the devil's advocate because it's how I actually feel. A government is supposed to maintain the image of security in order to keep it's population calm. If history is to judge how effectively governments actually keep citizens safe, ours have already failed. A government can try to control the fringes of society, but ultimately there is nothing you can do to stop someone from blowing up your bus. Even the most organized and well adjusted government could not prevent me from beheading someone tomorrow, it's one of the rules of life that so many forget exists.

You and too many other people believe that we are more immune from attack because of where we live and who governs us, this would not be true in the most restrictive of societies. You are always at risk of being slaughtered without mercy from someone who really couldn't care less, and the loss of my life would be entirely inconsequential. I don't think you are truly grasping how far from worried I am, if anything, it's a relief to know that nothing can protect my life but myself.

(And I really wouldn't expect anyone to care.)

Last edited by Yodamaster; 10-22-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #69
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Those overly dramatic comments annoy me such as:

"We will never forget.This is our city. This is Ottawa strong"

etc
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #70
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
So the Penguin/Flyer game tonight started with Oh Canada to honour those affected by the shooting

They got my respect

hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #71
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

It sucks that kids die around the world all the time, but this happened in Canada not some poor country in Africa, a town in Palestine, or a village in Iraq. Saying this incident is insignificant compared to what happens to the rest of the world is really ridiculous and maybe you should try living in Somalia or Iraq and realize how much better it is to be in Canada and why it is so shocking when a terrorist act happens in Canada.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #72
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
not much, but video of the suspect moments after he killed the guard at the memorial -- crazy to hear about this happening on Canadian soil. Really hits close to home
most of us are too young I guess but the FLQ (quebec liberation terrorist group) has committed a great deal of bombing attacks & murders in Canada, attacks which have declined but are continuing to occur, up to and including 2012 (in Montreal)...

plus there were all the other mass shooting nutjobs etc even recently with that Rambo wannabe over on the east coast
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #73
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Spoiler!
100000% agree.

Honestly I'm blown away by this coverage like wtf..seriously like the way even the team 1040 was sounding this was like Boston bombings 2.0...

One man died, unfortunately a seemingly good, dedicated canadian. But it was one man. How is this any different than a cop dying in the line of duty? Because it happened at the parliament?

If you actually see Canada as a "different" place or feel unsafe now, I feel sorry for you. And I've even go as far to say that stance formed based upon these events is ignorant.

The news coverage honestly feels like internal fear mongering. Terrorists DO win when news outlets lead with headlines like "Canada, are you safe/do you feel safe?" It's fucking rediculous and the peons who can't think for themselves just perpetuate ideals force fed to them onto other peons.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 10-22-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
It sucks that kids die around the world all the time, but this happened in Canada not some poor country in Africa, a town in Palestine, or a village in Iraq. Saying this incident is insignificant compared to what happens to the rest of the world is really ridiculous and maybe you should try living in Somalia or Iraq and realize how much better it is to be in Canada and why it is so shocking when a terrorist act happens in Canada.
Except the part where it's not shocking at all, Canada has been a target for a long time.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #75
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:

Thousands of people die from smoking, drug abuse, car accidents, and violence every year, and suddenly the death of one man is a national tragedy? You're saying that because this happened at Parliment Hill, Canada has somehow changed?

Does it suck that that man died? Yes.

let me get this straight....

youre comparing deaths from smoking, drug overdoses, car accidents to the murder of soldier who was doing his duty(it is duty to have a presence at the memorial), which was already claim by ISIS as their doing?

I am a firefighter i mourn the deaths of all our service people...military and emergency a like....especially in the line of duty.

doesnt matter where..if i cop is shot down in the line of duty in st. johns, i will pay my respects and he was a hero.

If a office worker crosses the street and a piano falls on him, i dont know whether he was a good or bad person, but if i see the article I will hope he RIP, but he wasnt a hero. he wasnt going to war, he wasnt keeping our streets safe, he wasnt making sure that there is one less criminal on the streets, nor was he helping pulling a person from a crumpled car or out of a burning building.

all human lives are equally important, but there are those who step up and try and do better for their community and country, and yes, i agree those people are Heros and they should be mourned nationally.

Do i care about bad things that happen in other countries, yes. Do i care about what happens in my own country MORE, yes. are my beliefs that we should save our own poor and sick before we save other countries poor and sick, yes.

In the end, the joe-smo citizen doesnt give a shit, cause they are mostly ungrateful or clueless of what actually is being done for them, but for those of us in the emergency/military world; we know.

do i think laws should change, yes

do i personally fear for my life, no
.....do i fear for the next 9/11 with mass casualties, yes!

enough of this fucking pussy footing around. we need some security changes.
do we need big brother...i hope not, but right now, what we have isnt working
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: