REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

In contrast, the Burj Khalifa at almost 1000ft taller started in 2004 and opened in 2010.

American resiliance, or fading world power?

The full height of the building including antenna signifies a date in American history. Like, literally the beginning of Nation we call USA, today. Not a pissing match on who could build a higher tower. Is wikipedia failing you? Or is it that you've failed in Wikipedia'ing?

I've personally been there and actually learned something while I was there on why it is the way it is and what the two holes in the ground that were turned into waterfalls represent. Everything that is a landmark in New York has some form of significant symbolism tied in with it and was done for a reason.
Advertisement

Last edited by ZN6; 11-04-2014 at 09:46 AM.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Don't forget what is underneath WTC1 is a whole transport hub with subways etc, not to mention legacy systems. There is nothing as complicated underneath BK.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Uhh .. yeah you can -- I'd rather be a foreign worker in America than UAE any day of the week

They go to their home country, promise them good money, and once they get to Dubai essentially their passports are taken away, they are charged for their shelter/food and are basically stuck in a cycle where they can never get enough money to get out. On top of that, no running water, no sewer systems, and living in all-male shanty towns in the desert
So like we treat foreign workers here and in the states...sure if it's revealed the government will clamp down on issues but largely it goes on unchecked... like the farms in pitt meadows treating Mexican workers like shit and stuffing them in shacks with no heating/water/washrooms

or more recently with the foreign worker program that was allowed to go on until the CBC broke the news (workers also had their passports seized and forced to live in apartments run by their employers for high fees)

the same stories can be found in the states (but at least in canada these workers can get medical treatment)

Quote:
where the heat easily surpasses 40 degrees celsius with no AC either.

Deaths aren't reported because they don't have to be, there's footage of some of these workers being interviewed and they admit each one of them knows of at least 1 or 2 people that have died on a construction site, or because they decided to just kill themselves because of the situation they were stuck in
no ones denying its bad my point is its bad in the states too but ignored and treated as if shit like that doesn't happen but it does

so again you can't praise one and demonize the other...they're both bad
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
So like we treat foreign workers here and in the states...sure if it's revealed the government will clamp down on issues but largely it goes on unchecked... like the farms in pitt meadows treating Mexican workers like shit and stuffing them in shacks with no heating/water/washrooms

or more recently with the foreign worker program that was allowed to go on until the CBC broke the news (workers also had their passports seized and forced to live in apartments run by their employers for high fees)

the same stories can be found in the states (but at least in canada these workers can get medical treatment)

no ones denying its bad my point is its bad in the states too but ignored and treated as if shit like that doesn't happen but it does

No one's ignoring the plight of illegal immigrants in North America, otherwise you wouldn't be hear anything in the news about it and we wouldn't be discussing it here (why are we again? I thought this was a thread about One WTC?). But creating a false equivalency between that and the utterly horrible conditions of South Asian workers in the Gulf States is facetious at best and smacks of more of your Anti-Western bias.

Would you compare sexual harassment of women in Western societies with the sickening oppression of women in Taliban Afghanistan or ISIS-controlled Syria? No? They're both bad.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Anti-Western bias.
is it an anti western bias? i don't think so it's more of understanding the facts as they are and voicing them against a a pro-western bias that likes to ignore their own failings

Quote:
Would you compare sexual harassment of women in Western societies with the sickening oppression of women in Taliban Afghanistan ... ? No? They're both bad.
yes when it comes to the Taliban; we see circumstances just as bad or worse going on in western societies against women but they get portrayed differently than when similar circumstances happen in a 3rd world country like afghanistan

as for why its a topic of discussion...i don't know the OP brought it up :P
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
The WTC1's roof is exactly 1368 ft tall, which was the same height as the original North Tower.
An antennae was added on top to bring the structure's exact height to 1776 ft. I'll let you figure out the significance of 1776 (for Americans).
It has a 408ft antenna on top? That's impressive in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin
Don't forget what is underneath WTC1 is a whole transport hub with subways etc, not to mention legacy systems. There is nothing as complicated underneath BK.
Good point, the cost to be able to modify things to take that weight (not to mention the increased footprint of the building) would be immense.

Quote:
That they are, but you're comparing the Girl Scouts to Seal Team 6 here. Not to mention the scale of the problem isn't even comparable.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That they are, but you're comparing the Girl Scouts to Seal Team 6 here. Not to mention the scale of the problem isn't even comparable.
can't argue with you there
Old 11-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #33
linguistic ninja

OP implied it took 13 years to build this tower when in actuality it took closer to 8 years since construction started in 2006 after several delays in the planning and design process.

In terms of NYC building projects however, this pales in comparison to the Second Avenue Subway, which has been in the works since the 1920s and has a tentative completion date of 2029! (construction started 2005)

We can't really compare the building processes of a First World country with those of an emerging economy where there are lax labour laws, building code deficiencies and little to no respect for existing property rights. I mean how long is it taking to build our site C dam in the middle of nowhere without pissing off a slew of environmentalists and First Nations groups.

Architecturally speaking, I don't think the round podium on which the antenna sits upon matches the sharp angles of the building itself. But overall, love the reflective glass facade, wish we had more buildings in a similar vein in Vancouver. We do have the new MNP tower on West Hastings St. coming up though which is a beaut.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 11-04-2014 at 12:21 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
StylinRed you need to shut the fuck up. All you ever do is blindly regurgitate your anti-captalist bullshit over and over. I get that offering some sort of contrarian opinion makes you feel superior but from the other side all we see is just some jackass that has NEVER produced anything of value in life.

Your entire rant in this thread is so fucking uncalled for. I seriously don't know what the fuck goes on inside your head

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #35
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I see what you did there..
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
I think he was being serious, because thats how it really looks
Its crazy that when a plane fly's by about every minute or so the planes shadow goes across the building
Pics from ground level from June 2013

[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Right which is what you think would have done in this particular case to show resilience instead of showing it took the US 13yrs! to recover (even though their economy is still in the dump)

Although it only cost $1.5bn to build the burj and $3bn to build the new wtc
That's a dumb thing to say.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #37

Quote:
is it an anti western bias? i don't think so it's more of understanding the facts as they are and voicing them against a a pro-western bias that likes to ignore their own failings

yes when it comes to the Taliban; we see circumstances just as bad or worse going on in western societies against women but they get portrayed differently than when similar circumstances happen in a 3rd world country like afghanistan

as for why its a topic of discussion...i don't know the OP brought it up :P
Can you please provide some evidence? I am actually curious to know what happens in Western Countries (let's focus on the U.S. and Canada here) that is worse than not being able to vote, work, leave the house without a male chaperon, etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
2-Wheelin' Mod

Sorry, I'm a little worked up here as well ... StylinRed's comment about the treatment of women in "western societies..."

A ~ I noticed that you reference "western societies." You did so probably because by being vague it's more difficult for somebody to challenge your statement. Given that in the broadest sense "western societies" could include literally dozens of countries it genuinely invalidates your alleged fact. Further, because you are unable to identify those specific nation-states that you allege to treat women "just as bad or worse" than has the Taliban I strongly suspect it's because you have no actual factual information to support your claim.

B ~ exactly which academic journals are providing you with this incredibly inaccurate information? Before you considered making the statement here, did you elect to first validate the references?

C ~ please provide some tangible, first-hand experiences that provide evidence that "western societies" treat women "just as bad or worse" than Taliban-administered regions have historically.

D ~ please provide a definition of exactly all of those countries that you identify as "western." Are you speaking in a geographic sense? Are you speaking about a collection of nation-states that share similar political frameworks? Using the term "western societies" is about as ignorant as using the term "first world country."
Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #39
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
How much do you not want to get in this building?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Architecturally speaking, I don't think the round podium on which the antenna sits upon matches the sharp angles of the building itself. But overall, love the reflective glass facade, wish we had more buildings in a similar vein in Vancouver. We do have the new MNP tower on West Hastings St. coming up though which is a beaut.
This will probably be the most interesting upcoming structure in Vancouver, to be completed in 2018.

Structurally, supposed to be spectacular due to it's triangular footprint, that changes into a 4 sided tower.
Architecturally, I don't really like it. But at the same time, I'm glad Vancouver is going to get something unorthodox.

Vancouver House: This one?s big - The Globe and Mail
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #41
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
That's a fucking cool looking building. The Vancouver skyline is pretty dull.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #42

jimmies are rustled

i'll PM you guys so as not to derail this further as the usual bunch seem to have the same issue regarding which has nothing to do with these 2 towers

actually i'll just include it in here for the curious and spoiler it so as not to take up space but if you want to reply i encourage you to pm

Spoiler!

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #43
linguistic ninja

I'm going to leave the whole clash of civilizations conversation alone with StylinRed and try to stray back to topic (somewhat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
This will probably be the most interesting upcoming structure in Vancouver, to be completed in 2018.

Structurally, supposed to be spectacular due to it's triangular footprint, that changes into a 4 sided tower.
Architecturally, I don't really like it. But at the same time, I'm glad Vancouver is going to get something unorthodox.

Vancouver House: This one?s big - The Globe and Mail
Call me a traditionalist, but a sleek opaque glass office tower beats a post-modern avant-garde residential building any day. I think balconies on a building are ugly ugly ugly. It's too bad we have so many of them in downtown Vancouver and come to think of it, I think our city is the only place in North America where our tallest buildings are all Residential/Hotel (a sad fact that our city has never been a business head office centre and in recent decades seem to have been reduced to "resort" status.

Compare Seattle's skyline

to ours:

Now you tell me which one looks more "Boss"

Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #44
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Lol seattles skyline is gross. The space needle is so dated now, looks even worse in person
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #45
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol seattles skyline is gross. The space needle is so dated now, looks even worse in person
That's your opinion, but there's a sort of retro '60s Space Age Jetsons thing going on that's a bit nostalgic. The LAX and JFK TWA terminal (which is actually a historical landmark) is an example of that style. Besides I'm referring to the sleek office buildings that seem to be innundated with residential buildings in this city. Most other North American cities don't try to cover their office buildings up with condos.

What will look dated (and already does IMO) are all the seafoam green condos lining False Creek.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Now you tell me which one looks more "Boss"
To me, those majestic mountains are truly "boss". I like the skyline from the other side (across from Coal Harbour). In fact, the skyline looks great from all sides - seen from Grouse Mountain, SFU, Queen Elizabeth Park, UBC, etc, etc, etc.......even from 1st Ave. and Clarke Drive.

Seattle only looks decent from one angle, maybe two.

Just saiyan
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #47
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Will agree that the majority of Concorde pacific developments are rather uninspired
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #48
linguistic ninja

Yes our mountains have many cities beat, but that's not really something we built 'amirite?

Again, this is just a matter of opinion but our skyline "tabletops" a lot which I think is aesthetically less pleasing than other skylines that have buildings of varied height - although we've been gradually moving away from that with the Shangri-La and the Trump.

But if the above two were built with more opaque glass and without the horrible protuding balconies I think they'd be even better. Again Seattle was just a point of comparison since they're in a geographically similar area, but there's no need to bash the place.

I think Chicago has one of the best skylines on the continent and they manage to do it with a mix of residential and commercial towers:

This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #49

The MNP tower looks much better than the one from BIG but hopefully that will look better once completed (the ground floor buildings with the green roofs look great though)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #50
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

let's NOT compare skylines. we can never compare to super cities.

let's stick to single buildings.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 11-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: