REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #51
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

i still think the jin mao tower is the most bad ass building in existence.

if i were an evil warlord, that would be my base. looks like the decepticons infected the 101 tower and injected steroids into it.
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #52
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Tokyo, HK, Shanghai. I've been to all the cities posted above many times, and while their skylines are impressive, they really are just derivative of the architectural styles developed in the mid to late 20th century in NYC and Chicago. Special mention though to Shanghai from breaking out of that mold with several of the newer buildings in Pudong. Surprisingly, a lot of the innovative architecture is coming out of 2nd tier cities in China and the Arab Gulf States.

Doha, Qatar:

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #53
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_von_oben.jpg

i still think the jin mao tower is the most bad ass building in existence.

if i were an evil warlord, that would be my base. looks like the decepticons infected the 101 tower and injected steroids into it.
It reminds me of the empire state building

I actually like Paris' skyline (or lack of one) and how now that they're pushing for more skyscrapers they're not just blindly opening the doors but being rather selective of what gets the okay and putting a tight limit on them

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-06-2014 at 11:52 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #54
I keep RS good

^

yeah i always liked this picture here.

feels like the future is encroaching on the past

there will be a day, where the Eiffel tower is surrounded by buildings taller than it.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #55
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
I disagree and believe the French government wouldn't allow the Eiffel Tower be dwarfed by surrounding buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #56
linguistic ninja

There's no way in hell the Paris city council will demolish huge tracts of Haussmann's buildings. It's basically the signature style of the city. That's the reason why all of Paris' skyscrapers are in La Defense, outside of the Peripherique (the ring road that defines Paris' city limits). In a way, unless something drastic or catastrophic happens, Paris proper will forever be a static "museum" city. Contrast this with London and it's more dynamic city centre skyline:

This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #57
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
There is a point where too much is too much and its no longer a skyline but just a mess of tall buildings. You definitely can compare the skyline of smaller cities to larger ones.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #58
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Some of these posted skylines

This is my type of skyline

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #59
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I disagree and believe the French government wouldn't allow the Eiffel Tower be dwarfed by surrounding buildings.
if space ever becomes so valuable that they are forced to build skyscrapers everywhere... then yeah.

it might not be 50 years from now. maybe 100 200 300.. who knows how far in the future

given enough time, yes, there will be a day where they'll build shit around.

this is just a park, but u can use your imagination.

anything can be done when the economy favours it.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #60
I keep RS good

the only reason you guys shy away from mega city skylines are because you only see with your eyes.

there's so much more going on, and so much more life than you think.

it's the epitome of mankind. it's the center of the colony, and you're an ant. it's literally YOU.

centers of cities are hives of mankind. you should embrace that shit. that is the power, the knowledge, the intellect of all of mankind, leading up to THAT. a hive.

if i left you stranded in a real jungle, real nature, a tundra, and barren wasteland, the depths of the congo.

you'd be crying to see a city within 12 hours. the tougher people will be crying to get back to a city within a week, that is if they survive 3 days.

nature has a stereotype of being all rainbows and happiness... when it is exactly the fucking opposite. it's an arena of death.
you can appreciate it from far because anything from afar is superficial. if i told you to live in it for as long as you've lived in civilization, you'd be eaten alive or die from starvation or temperature...

our ancestors realised nature is no place for man, so we fucking created our own jungles. appreciate that shit. it's the womb that protects your ass from the demonic horrors of nature.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #61
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
spikes coming out of the ground

no real rhyme or reason to any of it............. 4th one is just sad.

The point is never wanting to become like any of those examples. Thank god Vancouver proper has nowhere to go and up is not an option. Any mayor who suggests going higher should be crucified at one of the transmission towers on Boundary Road.

Lougheed and Willingdon area in Burnaby is going to be interesting, though.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #62
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
^^I'd much rather see a city that blends in with nature. Man in harmony with nature. So much green in our part of the world. That's one thing tourists say is a definite positive about our neck of the woods (pun not intended at first).
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #63
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
If uliqs posts are more than 3 lines

"Lol didn't read"
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #64
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If uliqs posts are more than 3 lines

"Lol didn't read"
BRB Imagining book title

`Chronicles of Czarnia`

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #65
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Looks like I rustled some Jimmies at the beginning, but I like where this thread ended up.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Looks like I rustled some Jimmies at the beginning, but I like where this thread ended up.
You're Welcome.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Some of these posted skylines

Spoiler!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #68
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
^ I'll take this instead.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #69
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I never really liked that Faberge Egg-looking building in London. Seems so out of place.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #70
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
First off, staying on topic: SOM's WTC1. I've enjoyed the pleasure of watching a large portion of the construction due to working on and off in NYC for the past couple of years. One thing to keep in mind is for supertalls there aren't many possible shape variations for obvious reasons. Also, things like usable square footage are chosen by the developers before any proposals are even considered.

If any of you get a chance to check it out, the Calatrava designed concourse and "Brookfield Place" are def. must sees. Although I love Calatrava this was my first interaction with his work -- it is absolutely stunning. The quality of workmanship is about as high as these projects get. There's a joke in the architectural industry that the lowest paid craftsman working on a (NA) project is paid higher that most of the senior level architects -- however, this money is very well deserved.

To address the derailment: So I don't really get where the comparisons between ours and other cities are coming from. All design is contextual to both its environment and individual set of (usually economic) requirements.

Not a single one of these comparison cities has any natural geography that would be considered picturesque. There isn't an amount of money that could be spent to create such a beautiful scenery as what we have in Vancouver. All of these cities have large populations and every single one is or at least was a major hub in some point in time. Vancouver, with it's tiny population and even smaller amount of industry obviously isn't comparable in any sense.

If it were possible for any person in any of these major cities to work in the same environment but live in Vancouver I'm sure most, if not all people would rather live in Vancouver. Our locally designed residential buildings (most of them by Bing Thom -- one of the few award winning Canadian Architects alongside my personal favourite, Arthur Erickson) are rated among the highest quality worldwide. Decent square footage and amenities and amazing light and view corridors. I for one wouldn't give up a functional balcony as a concession to other people's aesthetic concerns. We produce these similar designs because they work. There's also something here about design reflecting the prevalent level of socio-economic equality in our beautiful country. Window wall buildings of Vancouver's calibre would be unaffordable elsewhere.

Source: I've worked in Architectural design with one of the world's leading firms and one of the only firms capable of supertall projects. We've contributed iconic buildings to every skyline mentioned in this thread as well as some of the individual buildings shown. Vancouver's residential design is lauded worldwide by people in the industry as some of the best in the world.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #71
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
centers of cities are hives of mankind. you should embrace that shit. that is the power, the knowledge, the intellect of all of mankind, leading up to THAT. a hive.

You get voted down so fucking hard for telling the truth

I'd like to pay you to write an article for my site, www.modernheartbreak.com

PM me bruh
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I love the Waterfall building in False Creek, someday I will lease a live/work space there!

http://bit.ly/1vS5rhd
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #73
I keep RS good

^
i saw a bachelors pad there, loft with it's own private roof garden. very nice, lol, but 1million dollars.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #74
I came, I saw, I conquered.

This is pretty boss

Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #75
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I love the Waterfall building in False Creek, someday I will lease a live/work space there!

waterfall building vancouver - Google Search
What about the fat bitch under you though. You can't leave until you teach her a lesson amirite?

I was actually in new york for a trip in september, my first time being there besides previous layovers which I were spent trapped inside the airport.

I did all the traditional touristy things, and of course one of those was visiting the WTC site. (I was actually there the day before sept. 11, this year). It was quite a spectacle. The memorial is a great tribute, the tower is really pretty amazing.

They are still working heavily on the new transportation hub, which is just across the street from the main tower.

The most fascinating thing about the area, is that many of the buildings which were damaged but not destroyed, were never repaired. There are many buildings with black charred marks, and cladding damage. I asked one of the guys, and they said they have no intention of repairing the buildings, they will remain as they are to show the damage from that day.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote