REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   using vehicle operations adjustments on screens (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699738-using-vehicle-operations-adjustments-screens.html)

BallPeenHammer2 11-21-2014 10:20 AM

using vehicle operations adjustments on screens

Just a quick question.

For vehicles that have certain operations such as climate control, seat heaters, etc integrated into the touchscreen, would they be illegal to use? Im very familiar with the mva section about using devicea but after reviewing it, i noticed it did not clarify that specific section.

I am aware that phone, radio and navis are a no no

melloman 11-21-2014 10:58 AM

When the FUCK did it become against the law to operate a RADIO in a car while driving?!

:rukidding: :fulloffuck:

320icar 11-21-2014 11:04 AM

Well if navigation is illegal to use while driving, why is the radio, climate and phone operations NOT, even though they use the same 8" screen in my car

underscore 11-21-2014 11:31 AM

I really, really want to know what idiots decided that things like HVAC and radio should go on a touch screen in a car.

wing_woo 11-21-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8559023)
I really, really want to know what idiots decided that things like HVAC and radio should go on a touch screen in a car.

The idiots who calculate that touchscreens are more likely to break down and require someone to go to the stealership to repair. At time of sale, they'll tell you should get the extended warranty citing how everything on the car is so advanced now and any out of warranty repair will be able to justify the cost of the extended warranty.

If your mechanical HVAC knob broke, you can fix it yourself or it wouldn't cost too much to take it some random mechanic. Your touchscreen breaks down, you lose your HVAC, radio, and everything else there, you'll probably be more desperate to fix, so guess where the most likely place you'll go is?

BoostedBB6 11-21-2014 01:29 PM

New touch screen = $7k +

underscore 11-21-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 8559064)
The idiots who calculate that touchscreens are more likely to break down and require someone to go to the stealership to repair. At time of sale, they'll tell you should get the extended warranty citing how everything on the car is so advanced now and any out of warranty repair will be able to justify the cost of the extended warranty.

If your mechanical HVAC knob broke, you can fix it yourself or it wouldn't cost too much to take it some random mechanic. Your touchscreen breaks down, you lose your HVAC, radio, and everything else there, you'll probably be more desperate to fix, so guess where the most likely place you'll go is?

Derp, I can't believe I missed that obvious an answer. I absolutely hate hate hate touchscreens. People seem to think they're this magical tech that's an upgrade so mfr's slap them on every piece of shit they can, but all they do is make things worse.

XplicitLuder 11-21-2014 11:50 PM

i believe most illegal things like that are "handheld" while this wouldnt fall under that category no ?

Zedbra 11-22-2014 06:13 AM

I've been wondering the same thing - because I have heard of people getting tickets for using their on-screen navigation. If this is so, it would suck to own a Tesla; I guess you can't change anything while actually driving your car as it is all touch screen.

http://kes.wimp.com/images/thumbs/20...a_1316_866.jpg

BoostedBB6 11-22-2014 08:34 AM

I'm sure the law will be amended or if ticketed for something like that it will be thrown out. If basic functions of your vehicle are through a multi function display then I don't believe that it is/should be illegal to operate them.
Many navigation systems in new vehicles will tell you not to operate them while driving the car or to pull over when you wish to use them.

Speed2K 11-22-2014 01:54 PM

I saw a woman putting on make-up during my morning commute, since she's not using an "electronic device", this would be okay were as changing your radio from a touchscreen device is illegal?!?!??! :seriously:

BoostedBB6 11-22-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8559485)
I saw a woman putting on make-up during my morning commute, since she's not using an "electronic device", this would be okay were as changing your radio from a touchscreen device is illegal?!?!??! :seriously:

No, that would be classified as driving with undo care and attention if they were ever to get pulled over.

Soundy 11-22-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8559486)
No, that would be classified as driving without due care and attention if they were ever to get pulled over.

Fixed that for you. Completely opposite meaning.

tiger_handheld 11-22-2014 08:13 PM

Not this bs again. I thought we beat this horse to death once and it re-spawned and we beat it to death again. How many lives does this horse have?

Soundy 11-22-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8559584)
Not this bs again. I thought we beat this horse to death once and it re-spawned and we beat it to death again.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...illy-wonka.jpg

underscore 11-23-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8559345)
I've been wondering the same thing - because I have heard of people getting tickets for using their on-screen navigation. If this is so, it would suck to own a Tesla; I guess you can't change anything while actually driving your car as it is all touch screen.

http://kes.wimp.com/images/thumbs/20...a_1316_866.jpg

That is the tackiest piece of shit I've ever seen.

sebberry 11-23-2014 11:37 AM

I also like that it's illegal to have a phone sitting loose in a cup holder playing music where it's out of sight, but it's legal to mount it up on the dash at eye level or suction cup it to the windscreen where it blocks your view.

Soundy 11-23-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8559696)
I also like that it's illegal to have a phone sitting loose in a cup holder playing music where it's out of sight, but it's legal to mount it up on the dash at eye level or suction cup it to the windscreen where it blocks your view.

Not actually legal to have it blocking your view...

sebberry 11-23-2014 01:44 PM

You know what I mean - it's legal to have it stuck somewhere to the windshield.

Explain to me please why it's illegal to stick my phone in the cup holder and have it play back music? Maybe the bureaucrat who wrote the legislation has an investment in ProClip.

meme405 11-23-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8559737)
Explain to me please why it's illegal to stick my phone in the cup holder and have it play back music? Maybe the bureaucrat who wrote the legislation has an investment in ProClip.

Am I missing something here? Or am I just stupid for responding to another Seberry post?

If you aren't handling the phone, and it is just sitting in the cup holder there shouldn't be any problem. I pull my phone out of my pocket, and put it in the cup holder every time, because its uncomfortable in my pocket (HTC one M7 with a bulky case).

On that same note, what are you guys talking about the navigation unit and built in features of the car you are allowed to use, any features you aren't supposed to use while in motion (like the navigation) lock out when you are moving. So there is no problem using anything in the car that came from the factory.

sebberry 11-23-2014 08:01 PM

No, you're not reading it incorrectly - if the phone is sitting there playing music, it must be securely fastened to the vehicle. It can't be loose.

BrRsn 11-23-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8559584)
Not this bs again. I thought we beat this horse to death once and it re-spawned and we beat it to death again. How many lives does this horse have?

I'm no zoologist but I think you mean cat.

Source: My cousin is a vet

Soundy 11-23-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8559737)
You know what I mean - it's legal to have it stuck somewhere to the windshield.

Then say what you mean in the first place, dipshit.

Soundy 11-23-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8559878)
Am I missing something here? Or am I just stupid for responding to another Seberry post?

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?

Soundy 11-23-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8559878)

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?