REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i'm just going to get the real issue here:

you don't have enough money, a couple of days pay will not make a material difference in your life. and as was said, you need a slush fund, pref 6 months of living costs

it is unlikely you can earn any more at this time, but earnings are only half of the cash in the bank equation - look at your daily expenditures and cut, cut, cut.

do you smoke? stop smoking.

do you drink? drink less (i'd never say stop drinking).

can you do without one of your cars?

what gifts did you get ppl this year? perhaps you should reconsider.

i know you didn't come in here for money advice, but in the end of the day you have a child you are bringing into this world, and we, as the developed human race, have a duty of care for you and that child (if you disagree with this statement, reconsider your taxes and social security you pay, we have a duty of care whether you realize it or not), so accordingly please try to do everything you possibly can to provide for that kid by cutting your costs and having more moola in the bank.

best of luck!
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #27
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Thinking about this more... You are only not getting paid for 3 days of work, they have to pay your xmas, boxing day and Jan1st so whats the real issue? I don't know your money situation but everyone should have back up for at least a month since you never know what could happen.
I don't think Boxing day is paid? But if the company they will pay anyways.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'm just going to get the real issue here:

you don't have enough money, a couple of days pay will not make a material difference in your life. and as was said, you need a slush fund, pref 6 months of living costs

it is unlikely you can earn any more at this time, but earnings are only half of the cash in the bank equation - look at your daily expenditures and cut, cut, cut.

do you smoke? stop smoking.

do you drink? drink less (i'd never say stop drinking).

can you do without one of your cars?

what gifts did you get ppl this year? perhaps you should reconsider.

i know you didn't come in here for money advice, but in the end of the day you have a child you are bringing into this world, and we, as the developed human race, have a duty of care for you and that child (if you disagree with this statement, reconsider your taxes and social security you pay, we have a duty of care whether you realize it or not), so accordingly please try to do everything you possibly can to provide for that kid by cutting your costs and having more moola in the bank.

best of luck!
One of the many reasons I will not have kids. Is surprise on how much ppl spend on their kids these days. Art classes, Gym, day care, language school, camping trips with school, sports team, music lessons, tutor.......... Sure you don't have to but for your kids to get ahead it is a must.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #29

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
One of the many reasons I will not have kids. Is surprise on how much ppl spend on their kids these days. Art classes, Gym, day care, language school, camping trips with school, sports team, music lessons, tutor.......... Sure you don't have to but for your kids to get ahead it is a must.
better that than ipads and shit like that. i'm a big fan of anything that will expand their horizons.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #30

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
im off without pay from dec 22nd - jan 5th. no complaints here..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Some points given a few of the responses:

- I am not complaining about my situation. I was simply asking about such work closure situatons as I had never encountered it before in any other jobs I've had. I was either paid for that time off or worked through that time in those other jobs. Thus why I created the thread.

- My financial and parental responsibilities were not intended to be a part of the discussion. I only mentioned them in order to show how important losing even one day is to me and that I'm not missing out on car parts or something.

It was my mistake for sharing that last bit since now I guess I need to clarify my financial/parental responsibilities: losing 4 days of income won't put me on the streets or anything even close. In fact I recently was able to pay off all my debts (student loans, line of credit, credit cards, etc), pay off my gf's debts, all while being the sole income earner over the last couple months, and whille taking on an aditional responsibility of raising a 2yr old (not mine). I don't spend money on myself, it all goes towards my family and preparing for the baby.

Anyways, thanks for all the input and Happy Holidays
Old 12-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #32
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

You're SOL, sorry to hear but hope it won't affect your Christmas too much
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #33
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
im off without pay from dec 22nd - jan 5th. no complaints here..
Lucky bastard

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I don't think Boxing day is paid? But if the company they will pay anyways.
It's not a statutory holiday, but some companies count it as one (usually because a union has negotiated it into their contract).

We get an additional 3 stats at my job, Boxing Day being one of them.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Sometimes it's not the boss decision but your fellow co-workers who force it on one another.

Morale and productivity is low...everyone just wants to be home relaxing.
You should be thankful to have it off.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote