REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sydney Cafe Hostage Situation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700223-sydney-cafe-hostage-situation.html)

dlo 12-15-2014 09:07 AM

Sydney Cafe Hostage Situation

wow, surprised theres no post about this... was following this story in the early a.ms and now theres a report of 2 fatalities after armed swats stormed the place

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/12/h...g-seen-window/

CRS 12-15-2014 09:11 AM

You could have at least posted a good journalistic source that is not vancitybuzz.

BBC News - Australia commandos end Sydney cafe siege

6o4__boi 12-15-2014 09:12 AM

i hoped they double tapped on that asshole

heard about it yesterday but it was still developing.
not much confirmed reports today either all speculation and unconfirmed accounts.

boostfever 12-15-2014 09:19 AM

lol vancitybuzz. comments are hilarious

6o4__boi 12-15-2014 09:21 AM

^ lol jimmies were clearly rustled in the comment section

murd0c 12-15-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8569446)
i hoped they double tapped on that asshole

heard about it yesterday but it was still developing.
not much confirmed reports today either all speculation and unconfirmed accounts.

Screw the double tap.. You want a loser like that to survive and go to jail not going out like a bitch

Godzira 12-15-2014 09:37 AM

Is this still going on? Or did they get everyone out and arrest him? Why did he do it in the first place?

Traum 12-15-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8569461)
Screw the double tap.. You want a loser like that to survive and go to jail not going out like a bitch

Nobody gives a shxt about whether a loser like that survives. But it is kind of important to find out whether he is acting alone, or whether he was operating in company with others (esp if there were any direct/indirect links to ISIS), and having the guy alive kind of makes that a touch easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8569464)
Is this still going on? Or did they get everyone out and arrest him? Why did he do it in the first place?

The incident has already ended, with a least 2 dead (one of which is rumoured to be the perpetrator) and several wounded.

News 1130 also has quite a detailed report on the incident. Kind of unconventional as they typically only focus on shorter, quicker updates:

Gunman among three dead after hostage situation in Sydney | News1130

TOS'd 12-15-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8569464)

You should be a reporter. :toot:

Cwift 12-15-2014 09:47 AM

Sydney cafe siege ends: police confirm three dead, including gunman ? live | Australia news | The Guardian

Statements confirm that 3 people are dead, two hostages, and the gunman.

Godzira 12-15-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8569466)
Nobody gives a shxt about whether a loser like that survives. But it is kind of important to find out whether he is acting alone, or whether he was operating in company with others (esp if there were any direct/indirect links to ISIS), and having the guy alive kind of makes that a touch easier.

The incident has already ended, with a least 2 dead (one of which is rumoured to be the perpetrator) and several wounded.

News 1130 also has quite a detailed report on the incident. Kind of unconventional as they typically only focus on shorter, quicker updates:

Gunman among three dead after hostage situation in Sydney | News1130

StylinRed 12-15-2014 10:28 AM

considering they had snipers surrounding the place, im surprised they didn't shoot him when he was spotted by the window (if they were planning on taking him down anyhow)

surprised they stormed the place considering his claims of having a bomb and having set several bombs around the city

wonder what the negotiations were like, i only heard that he wanted to speak to Tony Abbot and requested an ISIS flag -_- seriously

heard that the muslim community denounced him and provided his identity to police when he was recognized from the news...i wonder if they tried having his family or an imam speak with him before going in

it's such a shame that 3 had died

(side note UBER had increased their rates up to $100 in the area during the crisis)

Tr1ll 12-15-2014 11:40 AM

TOPEC 12-15-2014 12:27 PM

all those flashes n bang, the newsman "it could be stunguns" :fulloffuck:

InvisibleSoul 12-15-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1ll (Post 8569516)

That's fucking intense. I'm surprised there were only two hostages killed.

Reeyal 12-15-2014 01:40 PM

Whoa, in the video, there were like at least 30 shots fired when they stormed the place.

Yodamaster 12-15-2014 01:46 PM

Oh look, a crazy person with a gun in a "gun free" country.

CP.AR 12-16-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8569445)
You could have at least posted a good journalistic source that is not vancitybuzz.

BBC News - Australia commandos end Sydney cafe siege

believe it or not, BBC interviewed a Buzzfeed writer... cited the website as an "Online news service"

4444 12-16-2014 01:40 AM

i haven't read all the details, but get the general gist here re: the standoff, but in reality, would any of us have a problem if they'd have ended it much sooner with a well timed, expertly executed sniper shot to the upper torso or head? (we can assume this guy was not smart enough to stay out of shot the entire time.

I appreciate that with give or take 30 people inside that would have been hard so as to avoid collateral damage, but i don't doubt it could have been done - for the sake of two innocent people, i'm not sure the standoff was worth it for the chance of a peaceful resolution here.

BrRsn 12-16-2014 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8569815)
i haven't read all the details, but get the general gist here re: the standoff, but in reality, would any of us have a problem if they'd have ended it much sooner with a well timed, expertly executed sniper shot to the upper torso or head? (we can assume this guy was not smart enough to stay out of shot the entire time.

I appreciate that with give or take 30 people inside that would have been hard so as to avoid collateral damage, but i don't doubt it could have been done - for the sake of two innocent people, i'm not sure the standoff was worth it for the chance of a peaceful resolution here.

real life isn't a movie :suspicious:

4444 12-16-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8569820)
real life isn't a movie :suspicious:

i think it's clear life isn't a movie. but given the amount of window frontage that was apparent, and given there was running commentary of where the guy was in the store, it is evident eyes were on him the whole time.

i do not hesitate to think that the skilled men and women of the Australian special forces could have taken him out with 1 shot. not sure why you think it is so hard to imagine

multicartual 12-16-2014 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8569826)
i think it's clear life isn't a movie. but given the amount of window frontage that was apparent, and given there was running commentary of where the guy was in the store, it is evident eyes were on him the whole time.

i do not hesitate to think that the skilled men and women of the Australian special forces could have taken him out with 1 shot. not sure why you think it is so hard to imagine

I think because if, by some chance they missed, the guy could gun down all of the hostages? I don't know, whatever

4444 12-16-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8569831)
I think because if, by some chance they missed, the guy could gun down all of the hostages? I don't know, whatever

you don't think they'd have a dozen other eyes and guns on him?

you do realize that this is exactly what SWAT teams and equivalent special forces are for, right?

also, you wouldn't take the shot if you weren't 99.9% sure of success.

the decision was likely made as they thought they could save all lives. this decision lost 2 important lives, and 1 fucktard's

Ulic Qel-Droma 12-16-2014 04:31 AM

maybe they were only 99.8% sure of success. duh.

GFunk 12-16-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8569491)

(side note UBER had increased their rates up to $100 in the area during the crisis)

The media all latched onto this as if someone behind a computer at Uber HQ saw the situation and decided to take advantage of it to make an extra buck when in reality, all it was was an increase in demand for ubers out of the city which triggered their surge pricing. They then offered free rides for everyone leaving the cbd and kept the surge price for drivers to encourage more to come online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8569815)

Just a guess but given the threat of bombs planted around the city, they must have considered the possibility of a dead man's switch and the consequences of sniping him down