REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Sydney Cafe Hostage Situation

wow, surprised theres no post about this... was following this story in the early a.ms and now theres a report of 2 fatalities after armed swats stormed the place

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/12/h...g-seen-window/
Advertisement
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
You could have at least posted a good journalistic source that is not vancitybuzz.

BBC News - Australia commandos end Sydney cafe siege

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i hoped they double tapped on that asshole

heard about it yesterday but it was still developing.
not much confirmed reports today either all speculation and unconfirmed accounts.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
lol vancitybuzz. comments are hilarious
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
^ lol jimmies were clearly rustled in the comment section
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
i hoped they double tapped on that asshole

heard about it yesterday but it was still developing.
not much confirmed reports today either all speculation and unconfirmed accounts.
Screw the double tap.. You want a loser like that to survive and go to jail not going out like a bitch
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Is this still going on? Or did they get everyone out and arrest him? Why did he do it in the first place?
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Screw the double tap.. You want a loser like that to survive and go to jail not going out like a bitch
Nobody gives a shxt about whether a loser like that survives. But it is kind of important to find out whether he is acting alone, or whether he was operating in company with others (esp if there were any direct/indirect links to ISIS), and having the guy alive kind of makes that a touch easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Is this still going on? Or did they get everyone out and arrest him? Why did he do it in the first place?
The incident has already ended, with a least 2 dead (one of which is rumoured to be the perpetrator) and several wounded.

News 1130 also has quite a detailed report on the incident. Kind of unconventional as they typically only focus on shorter, quicker updates:

Gunman among three dead after hostage situation in Sydney | News1130
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
You should be a reporter.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sydney cafe siege ends: police confirm three dead, including gunman ? live | Australia news | The Guardian

Statements confirm that 3 people are dead, two hostages, and the gunman.
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Nobody gives a shxt about whether a loser like that survives. But it is kind of important to find out whether he is acting alone, or whether he was operating in company with others (esp if there were any direct/indirect links to ISIS), and having the guy alive kind of makes that a touch easier.

The incident has already ended, with a least 2 dead (one of which is rumoured to be the perpetrator) and several wounded.

News 1130 also has quite a detailed report on the incident. Kind of unconventional as they typically only focus on shorter, quicker updates:

Gunman among three dead after hostage situation in Sydney | News1130
Thanks
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
considering they had snipers surrounding the place, im surprised they didn't shoot him when he was spotted by the window (if they were planning on taking him down anyhow)

surprised they stormed the place considering his claims of having a bomb and having set several bombs around the city

wonder what the negotiations were like, i only heard that he wanted to speak to Tony Abbot and requested an ISIS flag -_- seriously

heard that the muslim community denounced him and provided his identity to police when he was recognized from the news...i wonder if they tried having his family or an imam speak with him before going in

it's such a shame that 3 had died

(side note UBER had increased their rates up to $100 in the area during the crisis)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
all those flashes n bang, the newsman "it could be stunguns"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
That's fucking intense. I'm surprised there were only two hostages killed.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Whoa, in the video, there were like at least 30 shots fired when they stormed the place.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Oh look, a crazy person with a gun in a "gun free" country.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You could have at least posted a good journalistic source that is not vancitybuzz.

BBC News - Australia commandos end Sydney cafe siege
believe it or not, BBC interviewed a Buzzfeed writer... cited the website as an "Online news service"
Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i haven't read all the details, but get the general gist here re: the standoff, but in reality, would any of us have a problem if they'd have ended it much sooner with a well timed, expertly executed sniper shot to the upper torso or head? (we can assume this guy was not smart enough to stay out of shot the entire time.

I appreciate that with give or take 30 people inside that would have been hard so as to avoid collateral damage, but i don't doubt it could have been done - for the sake of two innocent people, i'm not sure the standoff was worth it for the chance of a peaceful resolution here.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #20
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i haven't read all the details, but get the general gist here re: the standoff, but in reality, would any of us have a problem if they'd have ended it much sooner with a well timed, expertly executed sniper shot to the upper torso or head? (we can assume this guy was not smart enough to stay out of shot the entire time.

I appreciate that with give or take 30 people inside that would have been hard so as to avoid collateral damage, but i don't doubt it could have been done - for the sake of two innocent people, i'm not sure the standoff was worth it for the chance of a peaceful resolution here.
real life isn't a movie
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
real life isn't a movie
i think it's clear life isn't a movie. but given the amount of window frontage that was apparent, and given there was running commentary of where the guy was in the store, it is evident eyes were on him the whole time.

i do not hesitate to think that the skilled men and women of the Australian special forces could have taken him out with 1 shot. not sure why you think it is so hard to imagine
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
i think it's clear life isn't a movie. but given the amount of window frontage that was apparent, and given there was running commentary of where the guy was in the store, it is evident eyes were on him the whole time.

i do not hesitate to think that the skilled men and women of the Australian special forces could have taken him out with 1 shot. not sure why you think it is so hard to imagine

I think because if, by some chance they missed, the guy could gun down all of the hostages? I don't know, whatever
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I think because if, by some chance they missed, the guy could gun down all of the hostages? I don't know, whatever
you don't think they'd have a dozen other eyes and guns on him?

you do realize that this is exactly what SWAT teams and equivalent special forces are for, right?

also, you wouldn't take the shot if you weren't 99.9% sure of success.

the decision was likely made as they thought they could save all lives. this decision lost 2 important lives, and 1 fucktard's
Old 12-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #24
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
maybe they were only 99.8% sure of success. duh.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

(side note UBER had increased their rates up to $100 in the area during the crisis)
The media all latched onto this as if someone behind a computer at Uber HQ saw the situation and decided to take advantage of it to make an extra buck when in reality, all it was was an increase in demand for ubers out of the city which triggered their surge pricing. They then offered free rides for everyone leaving the cbd and kept the surge price for drivers to encourage more to come online.

Quote:

Just a guess but given the threat of bombs planted around the city, they must have considered the possibility of a dead man's switch and the consequences of sniping him down
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: