REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #126
HELP ME PLS!!!

I connect to Seattle servers 99% of the time. It should be the fastest for most people in Vancouver.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #127
2-Wheelin' Mod

Seattle seems to be the fastest option most of the time.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #128
HELP ME PLS!!!

TekSavvy stuck with the bill after handing over IDs of alleged movie downloaders

Quote:
Chatham, Ont.$based ISP says 2014 ruling allows 'copyright trolls' to prey on customers in Canada

CBC News Posted: Mar 19, 2015 5:05 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 20, 2015 8:23 AM ET

U.S. production company Voltage Pictures must pay $21,500 to internet service provider TekSavvy, to cover the costs of receiving the names and addresses of about 2,000 customers
who allegedly downloaded movies online.

But the Chatham, Ont.$based ISP says that covers only six per cent of the costs it incurred fighting for its customers' privacy.
The Federal Court ruled in February 2014 that TekSavvy must hand over the personal information of people who illegally downloaded movies owned by Voltage, including highprofile
films such as The Hurt Locker and Dallas Buyers Club. Voltage first requested TekSavvy's customer information in 2012.
TekSavvy ordered to ID alleged movie downloaders
Digital privacy act opens copyright loophole that TekSavvy$Voltage case closed
"For consumers concerned about privacy, this narrow reading sends the wrong signal," TekSavvy CEO Marc Gaudrault said in a press release. "It tells copyright claimants that
protecting the end$users' privacy is someone else's problem — not something whose costs they need worry about."
According to Michael Geist, a University of Ottawa law professor and Canada research chair in internet and e$commerce law, TekSavvy said it was owed $346,480.68, mainly from
legal fees and technical costs. Voltage, on the other hand, argued that it owed the ISP $884.
That gulf between the costs TekSavvy says it incurred and the amount it was given as compensation makes it less likely for ISPs to fight for the privacy of its customers in court,
says Geist.
"That is a bad message for privacy," he writes.

TekSavvy stuck with the bill after handing over IDs of alleged movie downloaders - Technology & Science - CBC News
For those that thought it won't happen in Canada, and only happens in the US. Well, this is only the beginning.

Bill C-51 will only make this matter worse.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #129
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Man... fuck Voltage. Fuck them right up the ass with a rusty, barbed club.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #130
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
BTW I just spoke with someone here who got one of "those" letters with a $900 invoice because they traced their IP uploading a torrent for 3 days, and they used this new law to get his info from his ISP. I think he's writing up an anonymous post that will be shared later... But for now I felt that I should warn everyone that this bill is definitely in effect, and if you torrent, you need to use a VPN now. Sign up asap!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #131
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

curious, does a VPN work like a ghost proxy site???

for instance, when in thailand and a couple of other countries you not allow to watch certain "content" so if you use a ghost proxy site you can make it work

would using this VPN service do the same for say a laptop while travelling?? ie making it think it's in say the states etc?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #132
Zombie Mod

Yes. There are plenty of exit points, and you can place yourself any where in the world, and watch region restricted stuff.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #133
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
BTW I just spoke with someone here who got one of "those" letters with a $900 invoice because they traced their IP uploading a torrent for 3 days, and they used this new law to get his info from his ISP. I think he's writing up an anonymous post that will be shared later... But for now I felt that I should world everyone that this bill is definitely in effect, and if you torrent, you need to use a VPN now. Sign up asap!
On this note, does anyone who uses PIA make use of the VPN Kill Switch option so that if your VPN connection were to die and you were either downloading or seeding a torrent that you wouldn't expose yourself? I'm not much of a technical guy when it comes to this stuff but when you turn it on it gives you some warning about it changing settings on your OS and could cause connection issues. Thoughts?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #134
Zombie Mod

I believe the connection issues happen with machines that have more than one network connection, like laptops that have wifi and ethernet. The support site mentions the kill switch will only kill 1 active connection.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #135
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
On this note, does anyone who uses PIA make use of the VPN Kill Switch option so that if your VPN connection were to die and you were either downloading or seeding a torrent that you wouldn't expose yourself? I'm not much of a technical guy when it comes to this stuff but when you turn it on it gives you some warning about it changing settings on your OS and could cause connection issues. Thoughts?
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70063...ml#post8597252
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #136
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

After reading all this, i'm considering signing up. I have a question, would using the sfu or ubc vpn protect you? I understand to sign in, you need to be a student with student id. Can they track it down to who the student was? Would the school be contacted and asked for information? Not sure how all of this works. Is it a safer bet to use pia?
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #137
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
After reading all this, i'm considering signing up. I have a question, would using the sfu or ubc vpn protect you? I understand to sign in, you need to be a student with student id. Can they track it down to who the student was? Would the school be contacted and asked for information? Not sure how all of this works. Is it a safer bet to use pia?
Yes, they can track you. School VPN's are NOT created for the purpose of torrenting and bypassing censorship. They also DO NOT have a responsibility to safeguard your personal information upon warrant-less requests from various institutions. Everything you do is LOGGED, PIA does not. To sum it up, college VPN's are useless in terms of being anonymous.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #138
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
$60 USD for 2 yrs deal on now

and this guy lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/co...right_notices/

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #139
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
so with this, basically as long as the taskbar icon is green it's working?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #140
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
BTW I just spoke with someone here who got one of "those" letters with a $900 invoice because they traced their IP uploading a torrent for 3 days, and they used this new law to get his info from his ISP. I think he's writing up an anonymous post that will be shared later... But for now I felt that I should warn everyone that this bill is definitely in effect, and if you torrent, you need to use a VPN now. Sign up asap!
Newsgroups + SSL encryption = problem solved
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #141
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
So I've been using PIA for a couple months now and have it set to default and initially turned on VPN kill switch because I'm constantly uploading torrents 24/7 and didn't want to risk it but noticed my internet would constantly disconnect and work again. I've been testing with VPN kill switch turned off now for 2 weeks and it seems to be better but not perfect. Still working out kinks, could be my computer as other PCs in the house without PIA installed seem to be ok.

Also, I'm connecting to Seattle 90% of the time and notice that sometimes when I try going to my bank, credit credit card, or even Ticketmaster it says I can't connect through this server. I'll switch to Toronto and wam I'm in. Anyone experience this?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #142
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
So I've been using PIA for a couple months now and have it set to default and initially turned on VPN kill switch because I'm constantly uploading torrents 24/7 and didn't want to risk it but noticed my internet would constantly disconnect and work again. I've been testing with VPN kill switch turned off now for 2 weeks and it seems to be better but not perfect. Still working out kinks, could be my computer as other PCs in the house without PIA installed seem to be ok.
Have you tried VPNetMon?

Quote:
Also, I'm connecting to Seattle 90% of the time and notice that sometimes when I try going to my bank, credit credit card, or even Ticketmaster it says I can't connect through this server. I'll switch to Toronto and wam I'm in. Anyone experience this?
That's normal. Some/all of PIA's IP are banned from some sites due to illegal activity.

For instance, I found out recently Starbucks has banned most (if not, all) of PIA's IP addresses. You can't use PIA's VPN when using Starbucks WiFi, or even connect to Starbucks.com
Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #143

i figured this might be a good thread to post this: i got an email from shaw last night regarding copyright blah blah blah.......they forwarded an email from HBO saying i downloaded a game of thrones episode (which i did)

what's the deal with this? legit worry or what?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #144
Zombie Mod

It's just a notice, and they have it on record. Now, go get a PIA subscription!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #145

ya i figured as much. there was no mention of action....more of a cease and desist letter
Old 04-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #146
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Skinnypupp: how fast does PIA slow you down by assuming you have a 500mbps connection in HK?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #147
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Skinnypupp: how fast does PIA slow you down by assuming you have a 500mbps connection in HK?
That depends on a number of factors, mostly where you are, how far u r from the closest server connected, and how your VPN is installed.

If you expect to get a 500Mbps encrypted throughput, setting it up within a router is out of the question. You will need to set it up within the computer with the PIA application, and it needs to be on a relatively modern computer (modern CPU needed for intense encryption) with a wired connection (Cat 6 cable) directly connected to your router (10/1000Mbps port).
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #148
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Moved back to Canada and forgot that this bill is in effect now. Going to sign up for PIA later today.

If I've been using something like popcorn time, does that still count as part of the bill?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #149
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Moved back to Canada and forgot that this bill is in effect now. Going to sign up for PIA later today.

If I've been using something like popcorn time, does that still count as part of the bill?
Popcorn time uses torrents in the back end to pull the video content so I'd say it's part of the bill. In either case, I'd suggest using a VPN if you're planning to stream this type of content no matter what they use on the back end.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #150

question....is there anything that needs to be done to the router/modern for this all to work? or is it only on the computer doing the downloading?

ie if i have this on my computer and i'm at my inlaws, am i/they still protected or is their IP going to show up??? sorry i'm a new to this