REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sign up for PrivateInternetAccess VPN (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700635-sign-up-privateinternetaccess-vpn.html)

SkinnyPupp 01-06-2015 01:21 AM

We decided to switch to another VPN sponsor, because the previous one didn't allow customers to use any protocols they wished (namely torrent). While PIA doesn't offer 1000 Mbps connections, they do have a good reputation and offer more connection types.

Also PIA does not log connections at all - it is truly private.

Original plug :toot:

Internet privacy is becoming a major concern. Whether it's to deal with increasingly aggressive anti-piracy laws, or to keep data secure, more people think that running a VPN full time is a good idea.

Another useful feature of VPNs is the ability to change what region you're connecting from. This allows you to use region restricted services, like American Netflix, iBBC, or stream from the network sites like FOX, CBS, etc.

And of course if you're in a country with restricted internet access, a VPN is a must.

All devices are supported - set it up in your router, on your phone, or your desktop OS. All VPN protocols are supported: FeatVPN, IPSec & IKEv2, OpenConnect, OpenVPN, PPTP & L2TP, SSTP,
StrongSWAN, Viscosity & VPNGUI and VPN.tv for Chrome

If you're looking for a VPN, support Revscene and sign up here today! Prices are as low as $3.33 per month (paid yearly. 6 month and 1 month plans also available)

For full details, check out privateinternetaccess.com

Habboy 01-06-2015 06:17 AM

Ya, its time. I know Telus has been sending friendly 'reminder' emails if your IP has been found D/L ing or U/L ing torrents but now they MUST report those to the Govt now? We can be fined up to $5k if its found for personal use or $20k if its commercial!!

VPN time...

sonick 01-06-2015 11:50 AM

Been with PIA for awhile now, and have few complaints.

The desktop app is a bit finicky, but speeds and overall service has been good.

jackmeister 01-06-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8577617)
Been with PIA for awhile now, and have few complaints.

The desktop app is a bit finicky, but speeds and overall service has been good.

There's an App for it instead of setting VPN w/ windows setting?

Sorry it just reminded me of AOL back in the day..

Manic! 01-06-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habboy (Post 8577492)
Ya, its time. I know Telus has been sending friendly 'reminder' emails if your IP has been found D/L ing or U/L ing torrents but now they MUST report those to the Govt now? We can be fined up to $5k if its found for personal use or $20k if its commercial!!

VPN time...

They can't just fine you the owners of the copyrighted material have to take you to court. Keep your wifi router unsecured and open to everyone so they can't prove it was you that downloaded the copyrighted material.

willystyle 01-06-2015 01:04 PM

Don't forget to change your DNS servers on the router layer, and not use the one your ISP provides. This also helps increase web security, and your overall experience on the internet as well.

7 Reasons to Use a Third-Party DNS Service

OpenDNS:

Google Public DNS:

sonick 01-06-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8577622)
There's an App for it instead of setting VPN w/ windows setting?

Sorry it just reminded me of AOL back in the day..

Yes you can do it both ways, via windows directly or using the app.

I use the app as it's easier to explain/use for other users of my HTPC how to turn it on and off.

On a related note, Netflix has recently stated they would start cracking down on users using VPN to bypass regional content blocks.

PeanutButter 01-06-2015 04:10 PM

I also use PIA and I did a few days worth of investigating on which is the best VPN for all my needs and PIA consistently came out on top.
I came to the conclusion that PIA is amoungst the fastest and does not keep any log files at all.

Mini review of PIA: https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/3711/pr...access-review/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8577655)
They can't just fine you the owners of the copyrighted material have to take you to court. Keep your wifi router unsecured and open to everyone so they can't prove it was you that downloaded the copyrighted material.

Even if your wifi was unsecured all they would have to do is look at the log files and see what MAC address was used to download the material and then seize all your computers and check their unique MAC addresses. Then they could directly link the Torrent download to your computer.

So if you ever get caught, just dump all your computers or give them to a friend to hold on to until the storm blows over.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to link who downloaded what without a VPN/proxy.

Habboy 01-06-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8577655)

Ya yer right, those are the MAX $. you can be sued for....getting a little paranoid :heckno:

Manic! 01-06-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8577744)
I also use PIA and I did a few days worth of investigating on which is the best VPN for all my needs and PIA consistently came out on top.
I came to the conclusion that PIA is amoungst the fastest and does not keep any log files at all.

Mini review of PIA: https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/3711/pr...access-review/

Even if your wifi was unsecured all they would have to do is look at the log files and see what MAC address was used to download the material and then seize all your computers and check their unique MAC addresses. Then they could directly link the Torrent download to your computer.

So if you ever get caught, just dump all your computers or give them to a friend to hold on to until the storm blows over.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to link who downloaded what without a VPN/proxy.

Can't you just change your change/spoof your mac address. Also the need your computer to get your mac address. The lawsuits in the states relied on IP addresses.

https://torrentfreak.com/judge-ip-ad...gement-140121/

[o_o] 01-06-2015 05:05 PM

Noob question..

PIA only affective through wifi or does it work with local area connection too?

Presto 01-06-2015 05:23 PM

Can this service be configured with DD-WRT? I can set up the clients, but if I can get it done upstream, then I would prefer that.

quasi 01-06-2015 05:27 PM

Signed up, give my feedback in a bit.

SkinnyPupp 01-06-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8577781)
Can this service be configured with DD-WRT? I can set up the clients, but if I can get it done upstream, then I would prefer that.

http://www.privateinternetaccess.com...openvpn-client

syee 01-06-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8577660)
Don't forget to change your DNS servers on the router layer, and not use the one your ISP provides. This also helps increase web security, and your overall experience on the internet as well.

7 Reasons to Use a Third-Party DNS Service

OpenDNS:

Google Public DNS:

You could also use DNS leak protection on the PIA client to route everything including DNS through PIA's DNS instead of your ISP's DNS servers.

jackmeister 01-06-2015 06:18 PM

so how is Netflix going to determine that you are in Canada, using VPN/DNS etc to use American Netflix?

ban everyone that looks like they're using a VPN? lol

SkinnyPupp 01-06-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8577805)
so how is Netflix going to determine that you are in Canada, using VPN/DNS etc to use American Netflix?

They can just block specific IPs that they know belong to VPNs. NFL did this when they were giving free access to people based in Netherlands and New Zealand.

PeanutButter 01-07-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8577768)
Can't you just change your change/spoof your mac address. Also the need your computer to get your mac address. The lawsuits in the states relied on IP addresses.

https://torrentfreak.com/judge-ip-ad...gement-140121/

I never thought of that. I should look into spoofing my MAC address to protect myself some more.

I wonder if spoofing causes anymore strain on bandwidth, hmm. I'll take a look.

sonick 01-07-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8577805)

Hulu has already done this. Basically restrict the IP blocks that are known to be VPN servers, easy.

willystyle 01-07-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [o_o] (Post 8577774)
Noob question..

PIA only affective through wifi or does it work with local area connection too?

PIA can be setup on each individual device or you can set it up within your router. However, I don't recommend the latter unless you have a high-end router.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8577781)

Yes it can be configured with DD-WRT, but I wouldn't recommend setting it up on a router, unless you have a high-end router ($200-$300 within the last 6 months). There's a good chance the router you're using won't be able to encrypt your entire connection. Most routers can only encrypt 3 to 7Mbps, and that's all you will get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 8577795)
You could also use DNS leak protection on the PIA client to route everything including DNS through PIA's DNS instead of your ISP's DNS servers.

I find the DNS leak protection with PIA very finicky. On occasion, it doesn't work and messes up your connection.

willystyle 01-07-2015 05:05 PM

For those with Chromebooks, PIA does not support it and it cannot be setup within the device. Only way it will work is if you connect to a VPN-enabled router/device.

quasi 01-07-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8577784)
Signed up, give my feedback in a bit.

Haven't it used it that much but doesn't really seem to slow down my torrents and the software was easy to use. I did get my Blizzard account locked temporary because of where they thought I was logging in from but overall I would recommend it. It's so cheap and for the cost it buys a a little bit more peace of mind when borrowing content that may or may not be copyrighted.

Presto 01-07-2015 05:56 PM

Speed is good. Like Quasi, I don't notice any difference in torrent speeds. I ended up downloading the client since my router wasn't beefy enough to handle VPN. It's cool that PIA supports a lot of payment options, like Bitcoin. I'm in for the year.

SkinnyPupp 01-07-2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8578211)
For those with Chromebooks, PIA does not support it and it cannot be setup within the device. Only way it will work is if you connect to a VPN-enabled router/device.

You should be able to do it via OpenVPN... Try googling instructions?

Here are a couple I found

HideMyAss Wiki - Chrome OS

Digital Payments | The Dwolla Blog

Hondaracer 01-07-2015 06:29 PM

Skinny, how long this going to be available through the RS referal?

i'm moving later this month, dont really want to sign up until i'm setup with my new modem etc