REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #26
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Your fault unless the bus started changing lane in the middle of intersection and T-boned you.
Basically what happened... but apparently now it isn't illegal to change lanes mid intersection... just unsafe.....

Somebody said it may count as bus taking wider turns... so he's taking it at the expense of squishing me :P
Advertisement
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
IIRC it's not illegal to make a lane change in an intersection, but it is illegal to make a lane change across the solid white just before an intersection. So depending on when he started moving over, it may or may not have been illegal.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

^
When did they change the intersection lane change not being illegal?!

I remember it being illegal when i took my drivers license.. why the hell would they even change that? It makes a lot of sense and is a VERY dangerous spot to be changing lanes
(though we all probably do it sometimes)
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #29

It's not illegal during licensing, but it is frowned upon and it might get you failed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
It's never been strictly illegal to change lanes inside an intersection.

The MVA says something along the lines of "you may only do so if it is safe", and honestly it is like literally never safe to do so. So the driving instructors and stuff just tell people not to do it.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
^
When did they change the intersection lane change not being illegal?!

I remember it being illegal when i took my drivers license.. why the hell would they even change that? It makes a lot of sense and is a VERY dangerous spot to be changing lanes
(though we all probably do it sometimes)
They never changed it. It's always been legal.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
It's never been strictly illegal to change lanes inside an intersection.

The MVA says something along the lines of "you may only do so if it is safe", and honestly it is like literally never safe to do so. So the driving instructors and stuff just tell people not to do it.
It's completely safe when there's nobody turning right off the crossroad...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's completely safe when there's nobody turning right off the crossroad...
And if you do it right to left, but the guy turning left starts to go a little bit too quick, and you clip each other?

There is a hundred different ways that others inside an intersection can be impacted by someone changing lanes. Its better to just wait until after the intersection to do it.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #34

Its pretty easy to watch for people turning, and just not do it when a person may turn in front of you. It's really not very difficult. You can also use these things called turn signals to indicate your intentions which other motorists can see and act accordingly.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #35
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnitez View Post
I practically stopped
Too bad you didn't literally stop, then get hit while stopped.
That would have been your only out from what I've read ITT.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Damn, this is why even for right turns, I always wait until there's no cars coming, even if a car is travelling in the adjacent lane.

Cars with the right of way can suddenly change lanes, and might not be focused on cars turning out.
Then you suddenly have 2 cars "merging" together in the same lane at the same time.

Good luck with your case. Buses should have cameras, so this should be an easy investigation for ICBC.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Its pretty easy to watch for people turning, and just not do it when a person may turn in front of you. It's really not very difficult. You can also use these things called turn signals to indicate your intentions which other motorists can see and act accordingly.
using your turn signals inside an intersection is also a bad idea, cause if you are signalling correctly, you would have to signal for up to 3 seconds before commencing your lane change, which means that you would signal long before you actually got to the intersection, so how would anyone inside the intersection know that you are changing lanes, and not making a left or right turn.

I'm not arguing that there is times it can be done, but if there was nobody around why couldn't you have just waited to make the lane change till after the intersection? The reason instructors teach it as illegal, is because it is almost entirely avoidable barring very specific cases, like traffic in an intersection, or when you are going around a vehicle turning left.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #38

Quote:
using your turn signals inside an intersection is also a bad idea, cause if you are signalling correctly, you would have to signal for up to 3 seconds before commencing your lane change, which means that you would signal long before you actually got to the intersection, so how would anyone inside the intersection know that you are changing lanes, and not making a left or right turn.
If you're turning right you're in the right lane with your right indicator on, if you're changing lanes you're in the left lane with your right indicator on, and vice versa for the left. The onus is on the person turning to only move if they're sure of what you're doing, if your indicator is on and they're unsure they shouldn't move.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #39

Quote:
If you're turning right you're in the right lane with your right indicator on, if you're changing lanes you're in the left lane with your right indicator on, and vice versa for the left. The onus is on the person turning to only move if they're sure of what you're doing, if your indicator is on and they're unsure they shouldn't move.
Yeah and everybody should drive with their headlights on at night, and stay in their lane, and when they are completing a turn should do so into their according lane, etc.

Yet how often do people fuck these simple things up?

I understand where you are coming from, that it shouldn't be a big problem, but it is, because people are stupid, and fail to anticipate or read situations quickly enough.

You have to remember our road systems, everything from speed limits, to no rolling stops, and cell phone laws, are designed to cater to the lowest common denominator. That fucking 95 year old geriatric who can't see 20' past her bumper, that N-driver with 5 buddies crammed into his car who isn't paying attention to dick cause he's completely distracted, or the plain bad driver who immigrated here and was magically handed a license since he bribed some government official in his own country.

You think in the three cases above that one of those people won't accidentally mis-read what you are doing and put the two of you into a bad scenario?

Instructors teach drivers not to do lane changes inside intersections, so much so that a lot of people think it's illegal. That's how dangerous it can become. What kind of lane changes are you making that it couldn't wait till after the intersection?

TL;DR:

Quote:
if your indicator is on and they're unsure they shouldn't move.
Big difference between "shouldn't" and "won't"

Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #40

While I agree that people are stupid, and a lot of things get dumbed down, I don't like to let my actions be modified because of the lowest common denominator as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Half of the buses out there change lanes in the intersection. Cause most stops..If not all are right after stop lights
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think that it is the buses fault. He was in the left lane, you turned into an OPEN right lane. After the intersection, he decided to change lanes and drove into you.

When it says 'yield to a bus' that doesn't mean he can plow into you if you are in his way.... That is not how it works.
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
What kind of lane changes are you making that it couldn't wait till after the intersection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
I think that it is the buses fault. He was in the left lane, you turned into an OPEN right lane. After the intersection, he decided to change lanes and drove into you.

When it says 'yield to a bus' that doesn't mean he can plow into you if you are in his way.... That is not how it works.
When you're turning right and you have the red light in front of you, you will be one hundred percent at fault because no matter what, you have to yield to oncoming traffic. Just because there is a free lane for you to turn into, doesn't mean you have the right of way.

Buses often change lane during intersection because the bus stop is right after the intersection. If they change lane after the intersection, the bus would completely block the middle lane.

Let this be a lesson to OP and all of you who believe that it is safe to turn right at a red light when there is a free lane.

So many times when I'm driving down a one lane road and people just bust out from the side street to a "parking lane" by the sidewalk and I get startled and slow down. I just want to yell at the driver "don't fucking do that". It makes no fucking difference had he waited at the stop sign or on the side of the curb, he's still fucking waiting.

There are rules to the road, and then there are common courtesy on the road. People who think that "oh I'll just pull out to the side and wait til oncoming traffic stop then I can just merge." Yes you can, but it's fucking rude as hell when you do that and scare the shit out of people, who thinks that you'll pull onto traffic and hit them.

Likewise, when someone's turning left, and the light changes to the yellow, driver who is turning right on the other side of the street onto the same street, should yield to the guy turning left. It's not the rule, but it's common courtesy, he's making a damn left turn, is in every position to be at fault, and the light is already yellow, let the guy go.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:06 AM   #44
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post

Unfortunately it may cost me some legal fees to have that slapped into heir heads... Sure we are Yielding to busses... but last time I rode a bus I felt like they are rushing to finish their route more than trying to get 20+ ppl safely to their destination...

Yeah I know there's stops after an intersection... I was pretty damn sure he was not pulling in before I decided to turn right obviously... either way I feel like my roadstar discounts will get screwed over by this....

Last edited by Midnitez; 01-17-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote