REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #126
My homepage has been set to RS

Advertisement

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #127
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
can't tell if your sarcastic but gastown has some great coffee joints (matchstick, revolver, milano).

Infact milano has some fucking mean espresso.

Pffffffft, duhhh, where do you think I sit and work on my next book(s)???

Milano bros all know me, used to flirt with the short brunette hipster girl with the big butt but I kind of want a girl with a big bank account more
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #128
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Every morning I have coffee left over in the pot and I used to just throw it out but lately I've been putting it into a juice jug in the fridge and making iced coffees with it.
It's a win-win I don't waste any coffee and it tastes amazing, its nice to have on the weekend half way through the day when I don't feel like something hot.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #129
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Every morning I have coffee left over in the pot and I used to just throw it out but lately I've been putting it into a juice jug in the fridge and making iced coffees with it.
It's a win-win I don't waste any coffee and it tastes amazing, its nice to have on the weekend half way through the day when I don't feel like something hot.
A even better way... freeze some of them into little coffee cubes. I use them to either adjust temperature of hot coffee or simply keeping ice coffee cold without watering them down.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #130
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

whats the best way to make ice coffee? I've read you are suppose to use less acidic blends or something.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #131

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
whats the best way to make ice coffee? I've read you are suppose to use less acidic blends or something.
It depends on how you do it.

If you coldbrew it, I have yet to be able to tell any difference. The only problem is that it takes a day to extract the flavours.

If you are using espresso, cool it fast. Like dump your shots into ice cold water. The flavour profile changes if you let it cool too slow and it got the time to interact with the air. My way of doing it is pour shots into ice water in a glass bottle that I have, seal it and shake it for a good 5~10 seconds. Voila!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 AM   #132
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
you can also buy coffee joulies.

Coffee Joulies? - Coffee Joulies?

these will cool your coffee.

if blends are acidic maybe a dash of salt will fix the issue?
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #133
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
I like either really hot, or ice cold.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #134
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
OK so since getting an aeropress for christmas, I have become addicted to coffee. Well not in a bad way - I keep it to 2 cups a day or less.

I order 2 100g bags of fresh roasted beans per week from a local roaster, trying different origins each time. I've tried beans from Ethiopia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Cuba, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and more. All different roasts - light, medium, medium-dark - based on what the roaster recommends.

I grind them with a Hario slim grinder. I discovered that the best way to get good results it so hold it in place while grinding, rather than swing it around. It's more difficult, but the grind is much more consistent this way.

My favourite method overall is still the aeropress for most coffees. 20g for 230ml water, topped up to 300ml. I use quite a fine grind for this - around 5-7 clicks from 'closed' on the grinder. Finer grind if using light roast. I use the inverse method - add 30g water, let it bloom for about 30 seconds, add the rest, stir, let sit for a total of around 1 minute, then press for 30 seconds. This makes the best bulletproof coffee.

To brew cold coffee with the aeropress, I use 24g of coffee for 230ml water + 100g of ice cubes. I use the same method above, but press directly over the ice cubes in a glass slowly. This cools it down quickly, and you can throw in a couple more without worrying too much about diluting it.

For darker roasts I like to use a french press occasionally. 20g for 300ml. Very coarse grind - around 15-17 clicks from closed. Add the water, let bloom for 30 seconds, stir GENTLY, then brew for 6-7 minutes. Press SLOWLY... This is the best tasting coffee, but the aeropress is more convenient and has no sludge.

I also got a Hario V60 for pourover - 20g for 300ml. Medium grind - around 10 clicks from closed. Add 30g water, let sit for about 30 seconds, then slowly pour the rest, never letting it soak through until it's dry. Takes about 2-3 minutes total. Unlike the french press, you have to sit there the whole time to pour, but it's worth it for light and medium roasts.

Finally I have been doing cold brews overnight, and these are great with darker roasts. I use a medium-coarse grind, around 8-10 clicks. I just use my french press, about 22g of coffee for 300ml of water. I let the grinds soak up for about 10 minutes before giving it a good stir and putting it in the fridge for 8-10 hours. Never been disappointed by this method.

So far my favourite beans are the Indonesian Sulawasi Toraja medium/dark roast. Only one I have been disappointed in was their Cuban Crystal Mountain light roast. I enjoy the sweetness but find it a bit too acidic for my tastes. I've tried this in the aeropress and V60 and both times found it a bit too tart. Maybe I need to tweak things with it...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #135
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
What's a good grinder under $100?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #136

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
i don't always have coffee (usually take caffeine pills instead) but when I do just sugar... no cream or milk cause i have a dairy allergy

no more double-doubles for life
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #137
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Only time I add something to coffee is for vietnamese ice coffee. Otherwise you're masking the flavours... My wife only drinks with milk and sugar, and we've tried many of the beans I buy, and half the time it doesn't taste good at all.

Speaking of which, the best viet coffee has to use a blend with robusta in a dark roast. Coffee snobs will freak out at that, but trust me. It's not supposed to be filled with amazing subtle coffee flavour. It's more of a dessert than anything.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #138
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
i don't always have coffee (usually take caffeine pills instead) but when I do just sugar... no cream or milk cause i have a dairy allergy

no more double-doubles for life
I use international delight creamers, they're lactose free!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #139
I don't get it

Mcdonalds medium double double on occasssions, cut out the every morning routine of it . don't wanna make it a habit...
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #140
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Love my chemex!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #141
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
ca phe sua da and mcdicks dollar ice coffee days FTW
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #142
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Just one sugar... Don't feel the need for cream.
m0shh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #143
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
ca phe sua da and mcdicks dollar ice coffee days FTW
really am lovin it!

i take my coffee with a little milk or cream. i just use what ever i have available.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #144

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What's a good grinder under $100?
I recommend either the Hario Skerton or the Porlex Long grinder. both are hand grinders, so is more suited for a pour over or areopress device for 1 cup.

I have the porlex mini for my travel grinder and for the price is quite consistant for pour overs.

The bartaza Encore, which is $165 would be my recommendation if you can spare some more change. Baratza offer great support on their products.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #145
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
i used to be a tea only drinker. than i started working graveyard/ super long shift.

i started drinking coffee black with one sugar. now i either go straight up black or with one to half sugar.

oddly, i like the bitterness
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #146
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
i used to be a tea only drinker. than i started working graveyard/ super long shift.

i started drinking coffee black with one sugar. now i either go straight up black or with one to half sugar.

oddly, i like the bitterness

im kinda the same.. but needs cream

i prefer coffee from wired monk> starbucks because they have a stronger flavor imo

that being said i also prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate because the slightly more bitter taste
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #147
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
^ i don't like dairy products tbh thats why i don't like milk or cream in my coffee.

what is this wired monk you talk of?

i only drink starbucks, timmys and mcdonalds because its fast i can grab it before i goto work or during work. so far i like mcdonals > timmys > starbucks

want to try out other places too and start being a coffee snob lol.

the worst coffee i ever had was on a long distance flight from cathay pacific. shit tasted like cat piss made me ran for the washrrom
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #148
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
I recommend either the Hario Skerton or the Porlex Long grinder. both are hand grinders, so is more suited for a pour over or areopress device for 1 cup.

I have the porlex mini for my travel grinder and for the price is quite consistant for pour overs.

The bartaza Encore, which is $165 would be my recommendation if you can spare some more change. Baratza offer great support on their products.
IMO, < $200, get a hand grinder. I find the Porlex >> Hario. If you get the Porlex Mini, it fits nicely in an aeropress as well. AFAIK, Rocanini sells the Porlex cheapest locally ( $58/$59 for mini/long ). If you can fork out the $$$, get a Baratza Virtuoso ( ~$250 ) or a Baratza Vario ( ~$500 ) if you want an electric grinder.
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present

Last edited by ntan; 06-08-2015 at 08:58 AM.
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #149

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I would recommend the Long Porlex if it is mainly for home use. the mini one is great size wise. But the long porlex offers better ergonomics for hand grinding.

Amazon from time to time sells the porlex for a discount.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #150
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
For darker roasts I like to use a french press occasionally. 20g for 300ml. Very coarse grind - around 15-17 clicks from closed. Add the water, let bloom for 30 seconds, stir GENTLY, then brew for 6-7 minutes. Press SLOWLY... This is the best tasting coffee, but the aeropress is more convenient and has no sludge.

I also got a Hario V60 for pourover - 20g for 300ml. Medium grind - around 10 clicks from closed. Add 30g water, let sit for about 30 seconds, then slowly pour the rest, never letting it soak through until it's dry. Takes about 2-3 minutes total. Unlike the french press, you have to sit there the whole time to pour, but it's worth it for light and medium roasts.
Have you tried any of the mods on the Hario Slim?
Hario Mini Mill Mod Guide - Coffee Brew Guides

I'm almost tempted to buy a real grinder sometimes, making coffee for more than 2 people isn't fun.

For myself personally, I like to use 12 clicks for French Press and 8 clicks for the V60.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote