REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #201
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I use a drip brew $50 machine and fill up my thermos for work. I like the taste the way it is and I don't add anything.
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #202
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
Is it just me or 100% of hipster coffee places taste like shit, they mainly serve sour ass coffee and doesn't even smell right.

They can't get a simple espresso shot right, or is it just me or I am missing something here?

Been trying to find High Quality coffee beens anyone got recommendations?
No sour fucking coffee beans please.
I've been digging JJbean. The only awful bean I can think of is anytbing from Parrallel. It was unique at first, but really is awful.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #203
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
1 "cafe sua da" a day for me.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #204
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Is it just me or 100% of hipster coffee places taste like shit, they mainly serve sour ass coffee and doesn't even smell right.

They can't get a simple espresso shot right, or is it just me or I am missing something here?

I noticed that as well while I was in HK, so I asked my friend there who's into coffee. His response, "Coffee usually has two extremes fruity, tea like or chocolatey and nutty. The fruity ones are higher in acidity which you might interpret as sour but when brewed right it shouldn't be overwhelming so should be balanced."

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #205
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:

trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #206
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:

You haven't been to a place with well-educated barista.

The sour flavor you describe, assuming the one derived from acidity has many factors in it: grind, bean, preparation method, roast and/or anywhere in between.

Nevertheless, it usually comes down to bean... hipster places have a tendency to use only arabica as it's perceived to be "better". It has higher acidity as well as higher sugar and lipid content while tasting "softer" than robusta.

However, not all arabica are good coffee, and if the barista didn't even care to taste the coffee themselves before serving (and adjusting its process as needed), chances are, they can't get it right. It might shock you, but many don't. A proper barista would do a quick tasting/smelling even after a few grind let alone complete change of beans.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #207
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Thought I'd share this, as it's worldwide rather than Hong Kong. Coffee and Tales, a local subscription service (and I believe Revscene member ), sent out a 30% coupon for https://www.sanscoffee.co/, a worldwide coffee subscription service. The code is COFFEEANDTALES30

It's apparently a high end service, with Geisha, Cup of Excellence, etc. I got some Cup of Excellence beans from another subscription before (beancurious) and it was literally the best coffee I ever had.

I subbed so I'll be able to check out their first shipment, but I don't think it gets sent until March 1 so it'll be a while.

Hoping to revive this thread with some more activity.. I recently spent a month in Japan, going to a ton of different kissaten and 3rd wave shops, and shared many of them on my instagram. I also post when I try new beans (including some from Macau that made me literally say "oh my god" out loud to nobody in particular, except maybe my cat). Check it out if you like coffee and don't mind it being mixed in with some training footage (and some half nekkid progress pics )
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #208

This was one of my favourite shops... Not the best coffee I had on the trip, but it was a memorable time

This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #209
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #210
I STILL don't get it

Any local suggestions for beans? Been alternating between 49th, JJ, Matchstick, and Creekside.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #211
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
I have a Breville 870XL I bought last Xmas, use daily and typically pull at least two double shots a day. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend a few thousand next time around on an even better machine even though I have had zero issues with this one.

For beans I almost exclusively use the Moja espresso blend. I also like Stumptown and occasiaonlly the JJ espresso blend for for the best consistency I stick with Moja

Recently took a latte art class at Platform 7. Have been dabbling pretty hard lately in Latte art *hipster shield engage* lol but I find it pretty entertaining

My go to is a Baileys Latte when I have time, usually 2/3 2% milk 1/3 Baileys:

Some progression shots (it’s actually a lot harder than you’d think) also helps to have a $30,000 machine in-store lol

Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #212
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
I've got a Hario siphon that I use paper filters with... thinking about picking up a cloth filter.

For beans, I use a micro-lot from the local Italian grocer called Cultura Rio: https://www.culturacafe.ca/products/rio

"Perhaps the most complex of our three roasts, this medium coffee blossom picks up on the bright notes of a lighter roast and marries them to the earliest elements of a darker roast. With balanced acidity and a smooth, full body, fruity and floral notes play around a bounty of caramel and sugar cane."

Usually black, but a bit of brown sugar occasionally.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 PM   #213

I have a cheap Gaggia machine for espresso, but it got thrown in the closet after a while. I did like trying different beans as espresso though. You really get a punchy sour espresso from light roast African beans. Asian beans come out tasting umami/salty. I think it would be fun to play around with blends to get all sorts of different profiles. In my experience in Hong Kong, they really go for the fruity/acidic taste in their espresso at the 3rd wave shops. Took my wife and her dad to Hershey and Hazel for some affogato and he hate-hate-HATED it

I could NEVER get latte art right. I assume it's partially because of the shitty steamer on my shitty Gaggia. You have to run it through one full heat cycle just to get the milk to start foaming. Maybe if I had the patience I could get it right, but I don't care much for lattes or latte art - I prefer the coffee to stand on its own. I would actually prefer no art at all, just dump the milk on there thanks (and my most common milk based drink is macchiato anyway)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #214
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Lavazza ground espresso.

Which goes into a 6 cup Bialetti Moka Pot.

I brew that.

Then pour a single shot out, sip it while I get ready.

Pour the rest into my travel mug, and finish all that yummy espresso on my drive to work.

At work. I brew a pot of Superstore brand coffee. I drink the whole thing. Black.

Yep I'm crazy.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM   #215
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
mcdonalds

3 cream 3 sugar

tim hortons

3 cream 2 sugar

starbucks

iced caramel macchiato with extra caramel drizzle

revolver

cant afford this shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #216
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,701 Times in 3,129 Posts
Best coffee I've ever had was at my Italian broski house. He had one of those old ass perkalators and whatever coffee his Nona used was god damn amazing. Fuck this hipster shit, go find an traditional Italian and try their coffee.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #217
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
McDonald's - Black

Tim Hortons - Dark oast black

Coffee machine in office - Folgers Black Silk k-cups

If I add sugar or cream it feels like I'm robbing the coffee of it's intended flavor
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #218
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I call that rocket coffee (the sound it makes when it’s being made). Also you fly like a rocket if you fill your jug with that shit.

Ever since moving to the boonies (wifes words, not mine), she bought me a Breville 870. I’m on 3 double cups a day. Using a Costco bean from Victoria. If you search I can usually find the roast date within 2 weeks... but the bags so big it’s not quite fresh near the end. But it’s easy not having to change settings that often. My coffee snob level has gone way down being away from hipsters.

I’m still drinking Americanos black (some times espresso in the afternoon if I’m a hurry). But I froth soy (barista blend) every morning for my wife’s matcha latte. Machine gets good use.
I’m
Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #219
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
mcdonalds

3 cream 3 sugar

tim hortons

3 cream 2 sugar

starbucks

iced caramel macchiato with extra caramel drizzle

revolver

cant afford this shit
Can confirm. He drinks diabetes in a cup.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #220
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
My go to when I’m out is Starbucks iced americano if I’m in a hurry.

The thing with the older timer Italian coffee is that it’s much like a McDonald’s/Tim Hortons in that the beans/grounds they generally using are just some factory processed shit so the batch you get today tastes exactly the same as a batch two years from now. While it may taste ok, and most of the time frothy/sweet for any coffee purist id say the general consensus is that it’s garbage.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #221
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
+1 for Moja coffee. I rotate between them and 49th.

EDIT: Now I've never been to paris but the croissant at had at the Moja in North Van was the best damn croissant I've ever had in my life. It was at opening and it was fresh out the oven.

Last edited by radioman; 02-01-2019 at 08:53 AM.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #222
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Hoping to revive this thread with some more activity.. I recently spent a month in Japan, going to a ton of different kissaten and 3rd wave shops, and shared many of them on my instagram.
If you ever go back to Tokyo, check out the following. These are third wave btw.
- Coffee Wrights
- Light Up (Shimokitazawa location if possible)
- Onibus
- Glitch (Akasaka location is defintely more tourist friendly, but drip only. The main branch does it all though)
- About Life
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #223
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
^name/avatar checks out.

I've recently given up sugar-free energy drinks and switched to coffee. I made the rookie mistake of buying coffee beans instead of the ground beans and had to use a blender. It did an ok job.

Currently I'm using Trivia(?), but I'd like to find a healthier option and reduce the need to sweeten.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #224
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Best coffee I've ever had was at my Italian broski house. He had one of those old ass perkalators and whatever coffee his Nona used was god damn amazing. Fuck this hipster shit, go find an traditional Italian and try their coffee.
yes. moka pot. its the only way to go.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #225
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Coffee free for 2 years now. Got tired of the headaches. Used to drink 1.5 tumblers full of french pressed at my desk for years.