REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #276
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Fred Meyers and Target is in the US no? The only local Intelegencia place I knew of was “Wicked,” and it was super expensive to buy, and never that fresh.

JJ bean is usually very fresh, and as I said free espresso with purchase (3/4 or 1lb), that’s a $3 bonus lol. But yeah $20 a lb.
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #277
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
For anyone looking for Stumptown Hairbender, Welk's General Store at the corner of Main and E. 19th has it fresh. The oldest roast date I've ever seen of my visits there is no more than 10 days. Price was reasonable at I believe $16 or $17 a bag. I did see Intelligentsia there a few times, but it's not consistent.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-04-2019 at 06:56 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #278
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I find the Stumptown at Fred Meyer a bit suspect as they don't list roast dates...only BB.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #279
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

may head to cabin for long weekend, want to make coffee for like 5-10 people probably
what is the best way

thinking of just making pour overs
does anyone have recommendation on filters and also drippers
getting a lot of ads for V60
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #280
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Anything more than 2-3 people I’d say just a regular old coffee machine
Old 06-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #281
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
aeropress is not bad either.

Cleaning it can sometimes be a pita, but great espresso shots, easy to carry around and very little investment
Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #282
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

bit bulky to bring coffee machine though

any other suggestions
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #283
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
may head to cabin for long weekend, want to make coffee for like 5-10 people probably
what is the best way

thinking of just making pour overs
does anyone have recommendation on filters and also drippers
getting a lot of ads for V60
I'd get a V60-2 and carafe. you can get them quite cheap on amazon and filters are dirt cheap. I've done 650ml brews with it with good results (1:15 ratio). I recommend stirring it at least 1-2 times during the brew to ensure all grounds are saturated.

Espro makes an oversize french press that could fit your demand, but it's pricey.

Another suggestion would be a chemex, but also pricey and fragile.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #284
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Or another solution is to make and bring hanging ear coffee bags. That way everyone can have a hot cup of coffee and you don't need to bring any bulky coffee equipment.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hanging-Portab.../dp/B01HYUNTAQ

You can find them a lot less on aliexpress/ebay.

Last edited by cafe22; 06-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #285

I've been looking to upgrade to a dual boiler.

Saved for about a year. Pulled the trigger a while back after their announcement. Finally got it this Friday.

The Rocket R Cinquantotto. It's just the updated version of the R58, but they made it "Italian" by calling it as such.

Incredible machine. I pulled 2 shots today using some Starbucks grinded beans as I'm still waiting for my grinder to arrive. But the consistency of the extraction and the steam power is just mindblowing. What used to take almost a minute to steam, now it's a matter of seconds.

Sadly, haven't gotten to use any of the fancy functions like PID as Rocket fucked up and shipped the Appartamento accessories box instead of the R58 one. So, have to wait until they Fedex me the PID display.

But it's a beautiful machine.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #286
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
That's beautiful but I am also glad I can brew an amazing cup with a $10 Hario V60 or $20 Aeropress
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's beautiful but I am also glad I can brew an amazing cup with a $10 Hario V60 or $20 Aeropress
Yeah, I gave my previous machine to my brother when he was heading back to Taiwan, as I was considering an upgrade once I had the money.

For the money, AP has no competition really... but too many variables go into espresso making, and it's hard to control them all the time with AP.

For the last year, I've been dealing my caffeine addiction with a simple pot+drip for pour-over and Aeropress to save money. A dual boiler is a big investment, but I figure if I can just cut Starbucks and Timmy out of my life for a year or 2, I should be able to do it. Ended up saving my budget of $4000 in under a year (47wks to be exact). It's shocking when you start adding up all the coffee trips. At first I thought it was maybe 5bucks a day saving, but between personal/business meetings and coffee cravings... it adds up quickly.

It's been fine... and the pandemic helped too as I'd remember to bring a coffee drink in my thermo everyday.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #288
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Killer machine. Which grinder are you pairing it with? I've done AP and pour over, they make good coffee. But if you want a true espresso, there is really no way around it. I was looking into the profitec 600 db, but was hard to justify when I'm the only one in my household who drinks coffee.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfetched View Post
Killer machine. Which grinder are you pairing it with? I've done AP and pour over, they make good coffee. But if you want a true espresso, there is really no way around it. I was looking into the profitec 600 db, but was hard to justify when I'm the only one in my household who drinks coffee.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Niche Zero.

I’m also the only coffee drinker at home. But the math breaks down as an investment for 10years. At 400 a year or roughly 2 dollar a day by factoring potential maintenance and expenses, I think it’s a small price to pay at 2 shots minimum a day.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #290
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Damn I want a double boiler..

Will have to start saving now in anticipation of my 870XL biting the dust, knock on wood lol
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #291
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Yeah, I gave my previous machine to my brother when he was heading back to Taiwan, as I was considering an upgrade once I had the money.

For the money, AP has no competition really... but too many variables go into espresso making, and it's hard to control them all the time with AP.

For the last year, I've been dealing my caffeine addiction with a simple pot+drip for pour-over and Aeropress to save money. A dual boiler is a big investment, but I figure if I can just cut Starbucks and Timmy out of my life for a year or 2, I should be able to do it. Ended up saving my budget of $4000 in under a year (47wks to be exact). It's shocking when you start adding up all the coffee trips. At first I thought it was maybe 5bucks a day saving, but between personal/business meetings and coffee cravings... it adds up quickly.

It's been fine... and the pandemic helped too as I'd remember to bring a coffee drink in my thermo everyday.
but sooner or later you will be itching to upgrade to a GS3/Linea or Slayer 1G.

I wonder if alcafe surest Giotto kit works with the new Rocket line up? https://shureshot.alcafe.com/kits.html
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Will have to start saving now in anticipation of my 870XL biting the dust, knock on wood lol
Yeah. Even though it’s expensive, but after using it over the weekend, I have to say that it’s worth the money.

It’s super consistent. No variation in temp or pressure. And the steamer is mind blowing fast. I’m still adjusting my workflow. Because it’s much shorter time to reach ideal temp. So how long I add air into milk and simmer the wand becomes a different game.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post

I wonder if alcafe surest Giotto kit works with the new Rocket line up? https://shureshot.alcafe.com/kits.html
The newer rockets have built in shot timers which are pretty incognito which is nice!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post

As Expresso pointed out, the newer Rocket, like the one I have has timer built in.

I think I'm quite satisfied for now and really don't see the need of upgrading ever. From what I gathered... something like Slayer doesn't necessarily pull a better shot than say my Rocket when everything else is kept the same. The difference still lies on the reason I upgraded to a dual boiler: consistency.

Slayer 1G is really a commercial machine in disguise. So, it's able to pull shots after shots for the whole day with minimum variation as its parts are designed to be super heavy-duty in the first place. But it's a total overkill for me who makes 2-8 espressos a day (2 for me, and rest for when family visits) as I'd see very little improvement over mine.

However, the decision on this specific model was chosen partly because it's an all new update to an existing model rather than a refresh. Let's say after a few years and I want to upgrade to something else for whatever reason, my unit would still be one of the newest models on the market and limit the amount of depreciation.

I ordered an EMS Nanoscreen from the research as a cheap ($55) mod that makes a noticeable difference. And I think I'm done for messing around with it for now. If I get tired, I'd purchase a flow profiling controller and add it to my machine for further fine-tuning. For now, I think the espresso coming out is already amazing as it is.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #295
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I've been looking to upgrade to a dual boiler.

Saved for about a year. Pulled the trigger a while back after their announcement. Finally got it this Friday.

The Rocket R Cinquantotto. It's just the updated version of the R58, but they made it "Italian" by calling it as such.

Incredible machine. I pulled 2 shots today using some Starbucks grinded beans as I'm still waiting for my grinder to arrive. But the consistency of the extraction and the steam power is just mindblowing. What used to take almost a minute to steam, now it's a matter of seconds.

Sadly, haven't gotten to use any of the fancy functions like PID as Rocket fucked up and shipped the Appartamento accessories box instead of the R58 one. So, have to wait until they Fedex me the PID display.

But it's a beautiful machine.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #296
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Your 870XL is capable of pulling excellent shots. Dual boiler is great if the volume of shots/coffees require it, but unnecessary for the most part. It will be a while before it craps out, unless you intentionally and maliciously do not maintain it.

Since I moved from the Rancilio Silvia to the Rocket Giotto Evo v2 over 4 years ago, the only big difference is the time for heat recovery and being able to steam and pull shots at the same time. Being an E61 grouphead and a heat exchanger, temperature stability is consistent. Otherwise, the Silvia was great at pulling excellent shots. I never had enough people over often enough where it was a problem. And even if I had company over, nobody ever mind waiting.

Over the course of years, the most significant improvement to shot quality was getting a better grinder. I picked up a Quamar M80E for cheap (clearance sale) and it made a huge difference. If there is one thing I would highly recommend to people when considering upgrading, is to spend more money on the grinder over a machine. I thought people were crazy when they told me this, until I jumped at the opportunity to do it. No regrets.

When I move to my new place in October, I'm tempted to get a traditional lever machine. Quite frankly, I'm tired of all the tech and gadgets of new machines, and miss dialing in my technique. I miss that about my Silvia. The Rocket made me lazier because it's so much more forgiving. And when going out for coffee, despite shops having nice machines like Slayers and the like, it usually equates to just an "okay" shot of espresso. While there are exceptions, it's rare to find a shop and a barista who can consistently do an excellent job.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 08-25-2020 at 06:29 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Over the course of years, the most significant improvement to shot quality was getting a better grinder. I picked up a Quamar M80E for cheap (clearance sale) and it made a huge difference. If there is one thing I would highly recommend to people when considering upgrading, is to spend more money on the grinder over a machine. I thought people were crazy when they told me this, until I jumped at the opportunity to do it. No regrets.
Soooo EG1 or Monolith soon?

Skip the Slayer most seem to have nothing but problems and support isn't there.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #298
RS Veteran

Why not both?

Word on the street is that you pull some Godly shots.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #299
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
I only drink vokda

Sometimes kvass on sundays

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #300

It's here!

I was having a second thought about the color after I ordered it.

But now seeing it side-by-side, I'm glad I picked black because it matches perfectly with the R58.

Haven't gotten time to pull a shot yet as I'm still on my last bag of pre-grind coffees. I asked the coffee place to grind it for me based on their settings for espresso as I was without a grinder, so far so good as the Cinquantotto is quite forgiving.

Will definitely make a shot the next couple of days and see how it work.