REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #26
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
^Man, a sofa is meant for lying down on, among other things......

A married man has to take more interest when choosing a couch/sofa. Advice from someone who has been married for 35+ years. Couches may break, but a marriage should be forever.......... (can't believe I said that). I've spent more time on the couch than I would like to admit. One of the reasons I don't have a dog.
I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there about a couch being a man's dog house, and you spending more time on it than you'd like to admit...
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #27
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow that is one of the deepest threads I have ever read on RS.
I hope you meant "post", not "thread". Anyway, the post, like many on RS is deep. It depends on the reader and how they perceive it - from experience.

The dog comment was about being in "the doghouse."

Lomac.......... so perceptive.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
I don't own one from them but I think my next couch will be from Crate and Barrel. Lots of good selection (different styles and materials), decent/good build quality.

And for god's sake - lie down on it and see if you can sleep on it in a pinch. Not just because you pissed your wife off but in case you got a buddy who needs to crash for a night. Being able to sleep on it ranks right after "good to watch TV on" and "good to do some sexy time" in priority.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've had good positive experience at MJM by the Grandview Superstore and you can haggle the price down.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The Bay has some quality brands, and if you wait for a deal you can save a ton. I cheaper out and bought a $1000 knockoff Florence Knoll couch and it's a piece of shit. Two years of casual use, the cushions are sacked and the legs are falling apart. It's still a great couch for a single person to sleep on though lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
I don't get it

Lots of good suggestions on where to buy a couch but watch out for the little things. When we bought our couch, we found that some of them were built cheaply and the leather on the backside of the couch only went part way down the back. That's where they can save a buck or two. They also have bonded leather which is pieces of leather glued together and brushed to look like a solid piece. Cracks will appear there after some use.

Watch out for extended warranties. The Brick sold us an extended warranty that said they would cover accidental rips and a bunch of other problems with it. Then we found out that if we didn't get the couch serviced or inspected every year, the warranty is void. Google "the Brick leather furniture warranty". The best advice is don't buy extended warranty.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I would suggest checking out stylus, they have 2 warehouses out in Burnaby Stylus Made to Order Sofas : hand built sofas, Well made so should last a long time. Furniture is heavily marked up so I would suggest shopping around. I paid $800 for a couch that on Granville was going for $2500. If you do decide on going with stylus let me know and I can forward you a contact to purchase through. I work for a company that does commercial furniture.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #33
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
i can't believe no one has mentioned the most important thing:

be the hardest bargainer you can be. or bring someone that is. you know the bargainer that is so fucking cheap that they make u ashamed of how they bargain and you almost don't even wanna buy the couch anymore. the shame is so great that you just wanna leave the store.

yeah, cuz you can fucking bargain like fucking crazy at every furniture store. bargain like your life depends on it. i bet you can get way more off than you thought. they wanna move that shit. and unlike drugs, which are in high demand, they are just couches. they have plenty of competitors and know that some other fucker will submit to your bargain and they rather sell it to you than let them.

trust me on this. or else they'll rip you off.

after when you're about to pay the bill, and they charge u money for delivery, then suddenly get upset and demand you want free shipping or else you're walking.

they'll give you free shipping.

oh and if they give u some bs excuse like you gotta wait 2 months for your couch to be made and delivered... then be like "what the fuck am i gonna sit on for 2 months? deliver me a show couch for now, ill use it temporarily until you deliver me my actual couch"

they'll give you some shit to sit on for now.

couches, televisions, and cars... bargain like mad. don't feel sorry for the salesman.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I hope you meant "post", not "thread". Anyway, the post, like many on RS is deep. It depends on the reader and how they perceive it - from experience.

The dog comment was about being in "the doghouse."

Lomac.......... so perceptive.
Oops yes I meant post! Edited my post.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #35

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
How were your experiences generally with all these furniture stores on united boulevard? There are so many of them and I wonder if they are just somewhat identical. I guess you can move from store to store and try to bargain the hell out of it like ulic said. But boy, it sure will be time-consuming.

Saw some online reviews saying the customer service in these stores are garbage. What was more concerning is seeing how some ppl go wrong products delivered. I'm almost tempted to just bigger name chain stores like the brick, bay, sears, jysk and etc.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #36
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there about a couch being a man's dog house, and you spending more time on it than you'd like to admit...
maybe he meant he's happy there's no dog because the dog would be on the couch while he sleeps outside in the cold

PS: dogs are the best
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #37
I don't get it

I bought a leather 3 piece plus ottoman for 700$ on craigslist. You can save a bunch if you don't mind used furniture.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i can't believe no one has mentioned the most important thing:

be the hardest bargainer you can be. or bring someone that is. you know the bargainer that is so fucking cheap that they make u ashamed of how they bargain and you almost don't even wanna buy the couch anymore. the shame is so great that you just wanna leave the store.

yeah, cuz you can fucking bargain like fucking crazy at every furniture store. bargain like your life depends on it. i bet you can get way more off than you thought. they wanna move that shit. and unlike drugs, which are in high demand, they are just couches. they have plenty of competitors and know that some other fucker will submit to your bargain and they rather sell it to you than let them.

trust me on this. or else they'll rip you off.

after when you're about to pay the bill, and they charge u money for delivery, then suddenly get upset and demand you want free shipping or else you're walking.

they'll give you free shipping.

oh and if they give u some bs excuse like you gotta wait 2 months for your couch to be made and delivered... then be like "what the fuck am i gonna sit on for 2 months? deliver me a show couch for now, ill use it temporarily until you deliver me my actual couch"

they'll give you some shit to sit on for now.

couches, televisions, and cars... bargain like mad. don't feel sorry for the salesman.
I am pretty sure you can bargin at place like the brick and other stores but I am not sure if you can with Ikea......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #39
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

After a fairly exhaustive search, my husband and I bought our couch from Creative Home Furnishings in Coquitlam. They sell Stylus and Van Gogh couches. We bought the Lyric sectional (Stylus). It was great because we were able to customize it and it comes in a ton of fabric/color options. The price was also reasonable. During our search we learned that Urban Barn also get their couches made from Stylus and Van Gogh. There was one we were looking at in store that looked nearly identical to one on the Stylus website, only Urban Barn has exclusive rights to the exact style. The only difference with Urban Barn is the price was higher by about $1000 and they had fancier (albeit a slightly bigger and nicer range of) fabric names. So if you see a couch you like at Urban Barn, there's a good chance you can get a similar looking couch for less.

If anything, I'd recommend going to the Stylus showroom in Burnaby to check out styles you like and to look at fabric swatches in person. Then phone around to see if any furniture stores sell that particular model. There are a ton of furniture stores in Coquitlam by United Boulevard.
Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #40
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Thanks Delish. Will def checkout Stylus stuff.

Just went to a bunch of furniture stores on United Boulevard. Holy crap all of them are ridiculously expensive. Easily $3,000+ just for a 3-seat sofa. The only place out of all (we didn't have the time to finish going through all) that offered reasonably priced models was Ashley. Anyway... I'll do more hunting.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Got my couch at Scanteak, they have one in coquitlam and one in richmond.

Real leather, pretty sweet price after shopping around everywhere for about 2 weeks. Only place where i felt comfortable and didnt feel like i was getting royally fucked over.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #42
Need my Daily Fix of RS

+1 Creative Home Furnishings in Coquitlam

Bought a dining table/chairs (very good stuff)
Also, got a sofa with ottoman

Sales person was a older blonde hair lady with a strong accent (russian?) she is great! Helps you pick colors and fabrics and designs.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #43

Anybody been to Liquidation Furniture & More?

Dayyyymmm, those are some nice couches.

adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #44

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
My brother bought his sofa from the Sears at Brentwood mall in Burnaby.

That store has a good selection of stylish sofas and other furniture.

http://www.brentwoodtowncentre.com/c...=Sears&store=2

He bought this sofa with chaise from Sears (sample picture from EQ3 of the style)

https://www.eq3.com/ca/en/productdet...ic.html?cat=37

That chaise part of the sofa is good for relaxing in front of the TV. -also good for other "extra curricular" activities with your significant other.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #45

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
Anybody been to Liquidation Furniture & More?

Dayyyymmm, those are some nice couches.

Haha I follow them on FB and thought the same when I saw that pic.

On a related note, took delivery of this couch from Mobler. Looks nice (almost a Florence Knoll 'homage') but surprisingly affordable compared to everything else we saw.

Mobler has been around for a long time hoping the couch holds up.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Moe's Home Collection is my favorite furniture store and often has great sales prices. They're located on Terminal Avenue and have everything from $500 couches to some selling for over $10,000! Homequarters.ca on Bridgeport is also worth checking out as is Scandesign and Home delight which both have stores n Richmond and Coquitlam.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Lol. Thats my buddies ex with the brown hair sitting in the middle of that photo.
If you are pretty ballin, check out west elm on south granville. Really cool stuff.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #48
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lol. Thats my buddies ex with the brown hair sitting in the middle of that photo.
If you are pretty ballin, check out west elm on south granville. Really cool stuff.
I love these stores, because you can take a picture of the furniture you like, then pay for a flight to china, get someone there to copy the furniture and ship it back to you for cheaper than you would pay here.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:41 AM   #49
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Bought my flexsteel leather power reclining sofa from evolution furniture out in Langley.
Their "msrp" was $3688, then "sale price" of $2899 plus taxes. I walked in their with a number that I thought was fair, I was firm at $2600otd delivered to my house in East van. Needless to say, the sales lady almost told me to gtfo, until I pulled out my wallet and told her I will give you my cc now for $2600 or I go across the street to lazboy.
At the end I got it for that price, and like ulic said bargain hard and be firm.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #50
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I would like to also mention before purchasing a new sofa, to measure measure MEASURE! I have a brand new Stylus sofa I just purchased but does not fit into my apartment. I have it listed for sale now but...don't make the same mistake I did...
goaleR is offline   Reply With Quote