REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The 'BEST' credit card....

Hey guys,

So I have been with RBC for a while now and have had the same credit card for years. I am wondering, from a benefit standpoint, what is the BEST credit card you can have in terms of savings or money back in your pocket.

I have seen lots of rewards, points, gas and cash back credit cards. The way that I see it, is that you can take any of these cards and convert them into a universal '% savings' to compare apples to apples.

I never miss a payment and I never pay interest, all of my payments are on time and in full, I have no use for a 'low interest' card. I also am scared shitless of planes so I don't really care about air miles (which are ridiculous anyways) or avion perks.

RBC Cash Back - 1% cash back works out to being a 1% savings (at the end of the year)

RBC Mastercarad - 2% discount BUT 0.5% for the first x thousand dollars, 1% for the next x thousand dollars, and 2% at select locations, works out to being about 0.7% total discount depending on where you shop

RBC Esso Gas Card, Shoppers Card, ANY points card - If you cash ONLY the highest valued item, you are getting about 6 pennies for every 10$ spent, working out to about 0.6% savings. 0.3% for the low-point rewards and if there is a massive promotion, you are getting close to 0.9%. The downside is you are narrowed down to your choices of savings. Keep in mind, although you get a '150$ coffee machine', most of us wouldn't buy this, or we would wait until boxing day, or buy online for half the price, thus reducing the value of your reward

RBC Rewards Cards - very similar structure to the above cards. Usually forces you to spend your money at selected retails to earn points (Orbitz, BestBuy, Joe's Car Rental) with the benefits of gaining some savings. This one is a bit more tricky as you might be paying MORE to gain your rewards which yield you less.

Shoppers Optimum and Air Miles have been fooling people for EONS. Get 10,000 points when you buy a 6$ jug of milk. Well, those 10,000 points, when converted, are worth a few pennies. Sure, if you break it down, free points are free points and when redeemed, is a nice little treat. Here is the problem, some people go OUT of their way to find a shoppers and buy things that are either more expensive, or they don't need, for a sense of 'reward'.

Anyways, wondering what your guys thoughts are. I have had the 1% Cash Back card for about 5 years now. The way I see it, is that I get a 1% discount on ANY purchase (technically) when I use my credit card and I see it at the end of the year. So far I think it is the best bang for my buck and would like to hear what others think? Can this be beaten?
Advertisement
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66557...ard-apply.html

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
fuck RBC

called to activate my credit card, operator talked nonstop for 5 mins about credit protection plan

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Same with pretty much every bank I've dealt with they want you to buy the protection plan real bad
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm using RBC cashback mastercard, thought it was 2% for groceries and 1% for everything else.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Same with pretty much every bank I've dealt with they want you to buy the protection plan real bad
American Express

innout within 3 mins

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I use the RBC Avion card for the past ten years
Ive been on over 7+ trips and never paid for a flight, only the taxes. One trip was to Europe where we flew all over and still didn't pay anything.
Cost $150 a year for me and my wife and have never paid interest.
So far i think its worked in our favor to use this card.
VR6GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Ive been on over 7+ trips and never paid for a flight, only the taxes. One trip was to Europe where we flew all over and still didn't pay anything.
Do you have a breakdown on cost vs returns? Flights in Europe could be $50 and you could spend 20g a month on your avion for all we know.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Why the hell do you fly for free????? Please elaborate?
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Used to be Amex and TD aeroplan for me. I've flown business class overseas a few times with those.

But since Costco doesn't accept Amex anymore (I have a small business), I switched to capitalone.

Any card with cash back is probably better than a points card if your just the average user
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
fuck RBC

called to activate my credit card, operator talked nonstop for 5 mins about credit protection plan
meh they're just doing their job. I get that with TD too. all i do is let them read the script for 5 mins while i put them on speaker and afterwards i just say "no" . you can hear sigh and the defeat in their voice knowing they just wasted 5 mins.

I have the TD cashback(1%) everything with the auto protection service for free tows/keys locked etc. i haven't use the perks yet but that's a good thing.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
MBNA smart cash

/thread
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
I use BMO airmiles mastercard, It was my first and only.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
Why the hell do you fly for free????? Please elaborate?
Because that's a Travel Credit Card and he accumulated enough points/miles to fly for free?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
MBNA smart cash

/thread
This is what I use as well.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Do you have a breakdown on cost vs returns? Flights in Europe could be $50 and you could spend 20g a month on your avion for all we know.
I spend between $3-$9000 a month. I put everything on it, car insurance, house insurance, cable, phone, property tax every bill possible even if its a $1.
The trip to europe was a bonus because british airways had a special that if you transfered avion points to british airway miles you get 2-3.5x or something cant remember exactly.
If i think about it its got me 3 tickets to and from vegas and 5 trips to Hawaii.
But don't forget ive also paid $1500 for the card over 10 years.
VR6GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Imo the infinite avion isn't worth it unless your spending $$$$

For me, I had to essentially spend $80,000 to get one $1350 Round trip to Europe plus about half the cost of the second ticket. 122,000 points plus $760 got us two Round trip tickets to paris.

Imo the new costco MasterCard seems realy good, probably going to sign up for it
Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I use the same card and I'm happy with it. It also gives you insurance on anything you buy, basically an extra 1 year warranty. I've never used it but my brother law has used it on a bunch of stuff, shirt doesn't fit warranty claim, break new toilet when installing it warranty claim.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Good to know, also their customer service Is excellent
Old 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Imo the new costco MasterCard seems realy good, probably going to sign up for it
In one sense? Besides it being 2-in-1 with your Costco membership attached.
Only advantage is the 3% restaurant. Or else you're better off with just the MBNA smartcash.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
American Express

innout within 3 mins
AMEX Gold has got to be one of the better ones. I've never had an easier time using a card and not being hassled. Weekly balance updates and such. Friendly non pushy people on customer service that actually act like they give a shit.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Okay. I almost exclusively use a BMO World Elite Mastercard. I collect BMO reward points on it. The card costs $150 a year, although I had the first year waived, and they gave me 40,000 bonus reward points when I signed up. You collect 2 reward points for every $1 you spend on the card.

I load absolutely everything onto the card, like literally everything from my Timmies in the morning to my car insurance, and travel expenses.

It costs 11,000 points to get a $100 gift card to a few of their supported retailers, like home depot, or best buy. So I don't know where this fits in on the scale of rewards, but its not bad for me.

I keep the card more so because their concierge service is actually really good, and because of the card you get a priority pass membership, and 4 free visits a year (which cost $25 each), priority pass for those that don't know is all those airport lounges, where you can eat, drink, shower, sleep all you want while you wait for your flight.

I've used the concierge service to book flights, hotels, etc. And believe it or not they actually do a decent job at getting good rates, and also they are magic at getting into sold out flights, or booked restaurants.

Obviously you pay for the service, but it becomes worth it if you are using it, as I do.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #23
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Realistically, should just find the equivalent threads on RedFlagDeals. There would be way more details and experienced people there for this kind of stuff.

There's a Capital One card that is effectively 1.5% cash back on everything.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
MBNA smart cash

/thread
Nope, not so fast. It used to be the best card, but it's gotten worse because there are now limits on the 2% cash back for gas and groceries.

As mentioned, there's a Capital One card that's 1.5% across the board, so depending on how much you spend and on what, you might get more back from that one.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

costco mc for eating out and gas
mbna smart cash for groceries

gonna start using mbna alaska airlines for everything else
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: