REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #51
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Have had the Capital One Aspire Travel for 1.5 years now but can't comment on whether I like it or not since I haven't redeemed anything yet. I do like the anniversary bonus every year of $100 worth of points essentially making the fee $20 vs $120. Also like how I can use my points to redeem for anything travel related such as flights, hotels etc. Additionally, I like the flexibility of redeeming for cash although you take a bit of a hit with a lower conversion rate vs using it for travel. One thing I definitely don't like is how the conversion is tiered so you can't just use $50 of points for $50 spent. For example the first tier requires you to use at least 15000 points ($150) so if you spend even $5 it'll cost you $150 in points if you choose to redeem.
+1 for this, love it, great travel insurance and points, downside is the tiered point system
Advertisement
bcuzracecarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #52
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Tiered point system isn't an issue if you rack up lots of expenses. I just wait until I have a $700+ travel expense and then reimburse it. That usually happens at least every 3-4 months for me.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I use the same card and I'm happy with it. It also gives you insurance on anything you buy, basically an extra 1 year warranty. I've never used it but my brother law has used it on a bunch of stuff, shirt doesn't fit warranty claim, break new toilet when installing it warranty claim.
I thought the cards just double the manufacture warranty. How did he claim it on a shirt that did not originally come with any warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Okay. I almost exclusively use a BMO World Elite Mastercard. I collect BMO reward points on it. The card costs $150 a year, although I had the first year waived, and they gave me 40,000 bonus reward points when I signed up. You collect 2 reward points for every $1 you spend on the card.

It costs 11,000 points to get a $100 gift card to a few of their supported retailers, like home depot, or best buy. So I don't know where this fits in on the scale of rewards, but its not bad for me.
That is quite good if they have stores that you go to since it ends up equating to 1.8% cash back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
^^^
What do you mean no currency exchange? This is intriguing.
You of course have currency exchange, but it's called Foreign Transaction fee. Every time you make a purchase outside of Canada they ding you 2.5% automatically and it just shows up on your bill. You don't notice it, but if you buy a lot of stuff from the states and pay attention to your spending, you'll see that it really adds up. The Amazon card is one of the few cards that don't charge you for foreign transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
There's a Capital One card that is effectively 1.5% cash back on everything.
Yeah I was considering that one a few months ago but ended up going with the AMEX SimplyCash Preferred Card. I don't travel much so I'd rather have cash back. It costs $79 but you get 5% back from all purchases for the first 6 months (capped at $400), then it's 1.5% off any. I then have my Amazon for US and MBNA which has been replaced by the AMEX.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #54
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
There's two Capital One cards. The cashback one (aspire cash) and the travel one (aspire travel).

The Aspire Cash effectively gives 1.5% because they give you an annual 0.5% cashback on all your purchases. So it's 1% immediately then on your anniversary, they give you the 0.5%. No annual fee.

The Aspire Travel does 2% (IIRC) but it can also be used for cashback but again, the whole tiered system. Annual fee of $120 but you get $100 back annually for having the card so really it's $20 annually.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
There's two Capital One cards. The cashback one (aspire cash) and the travel one (aspire travel).

The Aspire Cash effectively gives 1.5% because they give you an annual 0.5% cashback on all your purchases. So it's 1% immediately then on your anniversary, they give you the 0.5%. No annual fee.

The Aspire Travel does 2% (IIRC) but it can also be used for cashback but again, the whole tiered system. Annual fee of $120 but you get $100 back annually for having the card so really it's $20 annually.
If I recall correctly, they no longer offer the Aspire Cash card except for those who already have one (myself included). I pair this card with the Amazon Visa (for US purchases).

I think the only limitation with the Capital one card is the $70K annual income requirement
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
I spend between $3-$9000 a month. I put everything on it, car insurance, house insurance, cable, phone, property tax every bill possible even if its a $1.
The trip to europe was a bonus because british airways had a special that if you transfered avion points to british airway miles you get 2-3.5x or something cant remember exactly.
If i think about it its got me 3 tickets to and from vegas and 5 trips to Hawaii.
But don't forget ive also paid $1500 for the card over 10 years.
How do you pay property tax via credit card???
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #57
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Whats the best option for a 19 year old part time worker?

Currently looking at American express, or PC financial.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #58
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Whats the best option for a 19 year old part time worker?

Currently looking at American express, or PC financial.
MBNA SmartCash.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #59
I subscribe to Revscene

subscribed
I need a new cc
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #60
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
bumping this - anyone remember how long it took to receive the amazon.ca card in the mail once they've applied for it online?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #61
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
bumping this - anyone remember how long it took to receive the amazon.ca card in the mail once they've applied for it online?
I got mines with in 5 business days?

From I can recall....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #62
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
thanks. need it in august so good to know it comes quite quickly

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #63

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
For those of you that applied for the MBNA smart cash online, how long did it take to receive your card?
I applied online and while I was reading the confirmation page and authorization number and before i could press "print this page", the page was gone and went back to the MBNA home page??
Did this happen to anyone else?
My fingers weren't even on the keyboard or mouse...

Tempted to call customer service to verify..
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #64
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Hey guys, I bank with TD. suggestion for card from them? Im still using their old rebate rewards card. Just thinking I have a home now and with all the payments and what not mounting just want to get something back that's worthwhile
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
For those of you that applied for the MBNA smart cash online, how long did it take to receive your card?
I applied online and while I was reading the confirmation page and authorization number and before i could press "print this page", the page was gone and went back to the MBNA home page??
Did this happen to anyone else?
My fingers weren't even on the keyboard or mouse...

Tempted to call customer service to verify..
Happened to me once when I was applying for the MBNA Alaska.
Came in 1-1.5 week. Don't remember about the SmartCash as it's been almost 2 years now.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #66

I really like my RBC Avion card. With the amount of money that flows through my card on a yearly basis I basically fly for free when I need to.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I really like my RBC Avion card. With the amount of money that flows through my card on a yearly basis I basically fly for free when I need to.
What's your spending pattern?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #68
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
That means nothing really unless we know $ to air miles conversion.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #69
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

I really value SPG points as all my hotel stays are at starwood properties. In Canada I use the SPG AMEX which is great for me, but maybe not others. If you collect hotel points and value the 25% bonus in the multiple airplane partners that spg transfers to, then this is a great card.

I also have the Marriott visa which does not have any foreign transaction fees, so it's great while shopping abroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #70
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I just applied/was approved for the Amazon.ca Chase card since I do a big trip to the US at least once a year, maybe twice and do a gross amount of US online shopping. Hopefully I like it since it has mixed reviews on the Amazon site.
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #71
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfemme View Post
I just applied/was approved for the Amazon.ca Chase card since I do a big trip to the US at least once a year, maybe twice and do a gross amount of US online shopping. Hopefully I like it since it has mixed reviews on the Amazon site.
I've recently found out that paypal will almost always give a better conversion rate than the Amazon Visa. So if you can, avoid using the card unless you're shopping specifically on the Amazon website.

You can compare it yourself on the fly using this website to see Visa's conversion for the day:

Exchange Rate Calculator | Visa USA

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #72
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I've recently found out that paypal will almost always give a better conversion rate than the Amazon Visa. So if you can, avoid using the card unless you're shopping specifically on the Amazon website.

You can compare it yourself on the fly using this website to see Visa's conversion for the day:

Exchange Rate Calculator | Visa USA
True, but my bank charges $.50 for every auto w/d incl. PayPal, so easier to just use the card I figure.
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #73
F3

^ pay with a CC through paypal
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #74
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
MBNA smart cash card is getting nerfed again.

Starting in September, any promotional balance transfers you do, is subject to a 3% transaction fee verses 1% from before.

Was one of my favorite cards due to low rates on balance transfers. But not sure after the rate change this coming September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:10 AM   #75
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,696 Times in 3,127 Posts
So i decided to throw up 600 bucks and get the Amex Aeroplan Reserve card. Since i do quite a bit of corporate flying, this seems like a good way to earn miles and get higher elite status.

It was a toss up between this card, the TD infinite privilage card, and the Amex Platinum. People say the amex platinum has more flexibility, but i primarily fly with air canada so the extra earning on air can makes more sense to me.

right now they giving away 80,000 aeroplan points if you sign up which isnt too bad. thats like a return trip to asia 4 free.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: