REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Sort of off topic...are you selling the TL for it or are you staying with both?
Can keep both I guess but only 1 garage spot so one of them will have to sleep outside. Which I don't want either to do best to sell it to someone who will use it
Advertisement

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I drove at E90 on track at Mission a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The engine lacks a little low end but it loves to rev, and sounds pretty great too. It's missing a bit of connection that earlier BMWs like an E30 318is give you, for example, but in return you get a whack load of power and great refinement and comfort and sound.
denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #28
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
So a little bit more about this car: I looked through some owners manual and stuff and found the car is from New Jersey? Has a very recent service reciept with some listings such as: owner found rough idle after cold start or something like that, replaced crank sensor and a bunch of other stuff including a new clutch. Why a 75km car needs a new clutch i have no clue.

Also found a reciept from blitzkreig about a pre-track inspection? Also replaced with track pads i believe so Im gonna assume the car has seen the track then, therefore meaning i will probably pass on this one.
if your considering a car from the states, the conversion rate currently isn't too healthy for canadians. price of car * 1.21 (current conversion rate) x import fee x other fees.

ive even hold off on getting mods online shipping to point Roberts for my car.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #29
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjc11 View Post
You might not miss that sound system with the m3's s65 V8

Not to mention that the E generation BMW will probably be the last of the naturally aspirated M engines
not the 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #30
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
if your considering a car from the states, the conversion rate currently isn't too healthy for canadians. price of car * 1.21 (current conversion rate) x import fee x other fees.

ive even hold off on getting mods online shipping to point Roberts for my car.
Want to clarify this is a US car but has been imported to Vancouver since 2010 i believe.

Most likely gonna call this one off for now, I love the V8 and good god cant imagine what a muffler delete would do, but i guess the E46 is truely the one i want. I agree that the shifter feels weird and less direct than one in a E46 M. I can probably get one for 20k ish meaning i can save almost half and feel less bad about parking it on the street if it comes to that.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

c63 amg is the only 4 dr version i would get.
m3 i would go with the e92 coupe
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomelon View Post
The biggest part of keeping an M3, is the running costs. I had apportioned a large sum of contingency funds for the regular maintenance of the vehicle which helped. Of course you could do the work yourself, or take it to a private shop, but at the time keeping the vehicle under warranty was my primary concern.

Brake Fluid Changes -$680
Front Brakes after 65-80k kms - approximately $1800 bucks
Rear brake pads after 75-85k kms- approximately $900 bucks
M3 Specific Oil- approximately $25/qt cheaper if purchased online.

and of course tires, but a set of four Michelin PSS last about 2 years, which is better than my c63 which needs a new set of rears every year approximately.
Whoa~ Those numbers are just completely off the charts! How can this type of maintenance possibly be so expensive?!

At the dealership, a typical Japanese car's brake fluid change is ~$150 - $200, including parts and labour. If you DIY, Motul RBF 600 sells for $20 per 500mL.

On the family German car, I seem to remember us paying ~$1500 for a complete 4 corner brake job. This included pads and rotors changes on all 4 corners, and of course includes labour as well. I already thought that was bloody highway robbery since I am used to paying $30 - $40 for a good quality rotor, and $150 for performance pads per axle on my car.

And, is M3 oil made out of liquid gold? $25 per quart is basically Motul 300V pricing. If you are buying online, Motul 300V can be had for ~$20 per quart.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:15 AM   #33
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
^i believe the S65 engine specifies for 5W-60 weight oil plus been BMW LL-01 approved, theres not much choices out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #34
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Spoiler!

I was initially taken aback as well when doing initial research on the m3's running costs a few years ago. However, if you have a warranty, the easiest way to ensure it stays in place is by going through a dealership.

I'm sure it's partly due to the hourly charge out rate, and then of course the markup on parts from the dealership. Additionally, they create a system of seemingly proprietary procedures.

One example that immediately comes to mind is the high cost of changing a battery at the dealership. Every time you change your battery in the e90 m3, you need to go to a dealership to 'reprogram' the battery to ensure it will run optimally. After installation and parts I recall being quoted at $500.

Idrive knobs, just the aluminum trim ring for the pre-LCI versions cost about $200 for the part and then another $150 for install (essentially popping it into place).

As always, buying the car is the easy part, keeping it running always takes either a lot of your own effort or the necessary funds to get the vehicle serviced by someone else. Places like Nixon are about half the price for labor and if you purchase parts from an online provider you could find them at 70-80% of the price if you're willing to risk having a warranty claim denied by a dealership.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #35
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
I can't say for the E90, but the E46 is just a totally different experience.
I sold my e46 m3 2 years ago, and I just picked up my second one. Although on paper the E46 is noticeably slower, it doesn't feel that way when you drive it. The exhaust note is intoxicating, and the feeling of being connected to the road cannot be replicated, even in the E9X M3 in my opinion. I'm not going to say which car is better for you, but I can say that the E46 is definitely more raw in terms of performance and road feel. If you do decide to get the E90, I would personally wait until the perfect one comes around (local canadian/bc car, fully loaded with nav, the colour that you want as well) since you said you'd really miss the tech in your TL-S.
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,161 Times in 7,154 Posts
Warranty is likely over so no need to be buttraped with sand by the dealership for this one. East coast car though? No thanks unless it's about 20% less than the other options around here. As for the track thing? Don't worry about that. People who track their cars often pay a lot more attention to maintenance than the average driver. I think this specific example may not be worth it for you if you really want an e46 though.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #37
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I see the same words describing older performance cars such as raw, road feel, and connected. Newer cars are getting progressively more numbing and people who really enjoy driving are shifting back towards manual analog cars. Would partly explain the run up in prices of E46 M3, E30 M3, NSX, 997.1 GT3, 964/993, etc.

The newer versions are faster and more comfortable but they do not provide the same driving experience. Newer cars also have warranty and generally less repairs required. It all depends in what you are looking for in a car.

E46 M3 just posted in CL thread:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4870966697.html
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

I know Don Nimi's sister has one. E46 with under 25,000km on it. It sits in the garage while she drives the kids in the evo.
Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
So a little bit more about this car: I looked through some owners manual and stuff and found the car is from New Jersey? Has a very recent service reciept with some listings such as: owner found rough idle after cold start or something like that, replaced crank sensor and a bunch of other stuff including a new clutch. Why a 75km car needs a new clutch i have no clue.

Also found a reciept from blitzkreig about a pre-track inspection? Also replaced with track pads i believe so Im gonna assume the car has seen the track then, therefore meaning i will probably pass on this one.
I would save $10 grand more and get a newer lower Kms local car. 75k Kms and the car been tracked seems to like you are going to spend allot of money on maintenance and repairs. Bad idle and crank sensor replacement seems odd to me. IMO, I would not do it
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #40

I have owned e36, e46, and currently an e93 m3. The e46 m3 feels very connected and lively, especially when it was new. However, compared to the e90 m3s it no comparison. The brilliant inline 6 has decent low end torque and loves to revs, but is really gutless compared to modern sports sedans. I would get a clean e46 m3 for a few years enjoy it and than just work your way up the ladder as finances permit. You can't go wrong with any m cars. Except mz3. I love mz3 too! They just handle horribly
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
The E36 sedans were produced in lower numbers and a much shorter production timeframe as well but the reality is 99% of the buyers out there want coupes and the sedans are hard to sell and sit around forever. Some people ask for a price premium but most are priced well under coupes to just get them to go away. There were even fewer convertibles sold than sedans or coupes and they are worth the LEAST of the 3 bodystyles.
The e36 verts in the long term are going to be the most highly sought after. Give it another 10yrs
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #42

North american E36s are honestly never going to be sought after.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #43
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
The e36 verts in the long term are going to be the most highly sought after. Give it another 10yrs
We have the quote in writing but I absolutely believe that the highest value ones will be the bubble wrapped like new coupes. Guess we'll see in 2024.

Mark
Old 01-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #44
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

For my money the e46 M3 is the best car BMW has ever made, and one of the best cars of the 21st century. Incredible engine, beautiful and ageless body style, and practical for most day-to-day needs.

That said, the e46 isn't getting any newer, and the e92 is in a whole new league performance-wise.

Apologies if this has already been asked in the thread, but why not an e92 335i? I am biased because I own a 2009, but it's around the same as the e46 m3 in terms of straight-line performance, and cost of ownership should be a bit lower than with an M3 (of any gen). You also get the more modern styling... Not to mention the fact that $5k in simple ecu and bolt-on mods will put you in the 450bhp range.

I recently bought my '09 335 coupe -- local, no accidents, 6spd, 62,000kms -- for $22k. Definitely better value than an e46 m3 IMO, as long as you don't mind going forced induction (and the lag is almost imperceptible, at least in the twin turbo N54).

I actually personally prefer FI for a daily driver, since you can use the power more often (and without waking up every one in the neighbourhood revving to 8500rpm).

Last edited by Amaru; 01-31-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #45
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
335i is definitely fast, and torquey. But when it comes to performance, its not just about horsepower. The 335 feels like a regular 3 series, with twin turbos thrown on top to improve its "performance". The E46 M3 was specifically made to be driven as a raw sports car. Perhaps i'm a bit biased, but I personally feel the E46 M3 has a much more timeless look, probably due to the fact that the 3series is as common as a honda civic in Richmond. You'd be getting a lot more car for the money compared to the 335i. But if its luxury/technology that concerns you more, then the E9X 335i is probably a better car for you.

I've considered the 335i as well, which allowed me to see the pros and cons for both cars. When i was looking for a car, my main concern was about the driving experience. After having driven both and comparing them side by side, it was a no brainer for me. (I'm not using my car as a daily, but just a summer car)
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #46

Don't get me wrong, the 335i is a great car, but as said the differences in the car are far greater than just the motor.
A NA M motor @5000+ RPMs is to fucking die for regardless.
As far as the BMW M cars go. The oldest start at maximum fun and drop down as the generations pass.
The oldest also start at minimum practicality and reliability and increase as generations pass. The e46 is the ultimate of both worlds in that regard.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
North american E36s are honestly never going to be sought after.
Not by enthusiasts but by collectors due to low production numbers. It is a gamble though
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
For my money the e46 M3 is the best car BMW has ever made, and one of the best cars of the 21st century. Incredible engine, beautiful and ageless body style, and practical for most day-to-day needs.
That would probably be the E39 M5.

Why not an E39 M5? V8 and probably a more analog experience than the E46 M or the E90 M. Plus 4 doors which is pretty useful if you plan to keep the car long-term and commands more respect in the parking lots, etc. (if that's your thing). Same maintenance issues, of course, but if you want to get an M car, you gotta pay to play. Or just buy a E46 ZHP (the last DIY-friendly 3-series) if you want to drive something that just "works".

One last thing, just because you can afford a BMW (any BMW) doesn't mean that you can afford to drive one. At the very minimum, you should be prepared to turn your own wrenches. Buy a good set of Torx wrenches, setup a laptop and load it with the appropriate diagnostic software, find some good part suppliers, and read BMW forums. For a late model BMW with fewer OEM part suppliers, set aside $400-500/month for repairs and maintenance. Good luck.

Last edited by Tapioca; 01-31-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Not by enthusiasts but by collectors due to low production numbers. It is a gamble though
I'd say it's totally the opposite. Enthusiasts will always be looking for e36s as they are great cars to drive. Collectors won't care because they actually produced lots and they were neutered in the throttle body department. I think there were like 70k of them made. Mine is 1 of 137 though, although with the interior swap it's now 1 of 1.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #50
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd say it's totally the opposite. Enthusiasts will always be looking for e36s as they are great cars to drive. Collectors won't care because they actually produced lots and they were neutered in the throttle body department. I think there were like 70k of them made. Mine is 1 of 137 though, although with the interior swap it's now 1 of 1.
The E36 is a great platform; it's just too bad the interior is pretty poor compared to the E46 (our family has had the E36 and E46). Definitely more entertaining to drive than the E46.

I drove a Honda for 10 years and I got my feet wet in the BMW pool with an E30 (a 325is, no less). Thinking about it again, If I were the OP, I would start small and get something like a late-model E36 with a stick shift and understand how BMWs work and drive. Once comfortable, then move up to something like an E46/E90.

But, on the other hand, YOLO.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote