REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #76
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Currently have an e92 335i, not really any major problems so far at 60k besides water pump issue few months after warranty expired...Few times I've been considering switching to an e46 m3 instead, but unsure since its an older car. any suggestions?
Advertisement
liukb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #77
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I chose the e92 335i over the e46 m3 because it was newer and came with a warranty.

I wouldn't trade my car for an e46 m3, it would have to be an e92 M3 if I ever switch to an M.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #78
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukb View Post
Currently have an e92 335i, not really any major problems so far at 60k besides water pump issue few months after warranty expired...Few times I've been considering switching to an e46 m3 instead, but unsure since its an older car. any suggestions?
It depends what you're looking for in a car. Are you looking to get your hands dirty, or a more direct/old-school driving experience? Or are you looking for something newer, probably fewer issues, and something that is faster?

The E46 M3 is probably the last of the old BMW - no fancy systems and relatively common-sense engineering (subframe issues notwithstanding). Of course, like any older car, it will have issues unless it was maintained by a diligent owner. Most of the E46 M3s have probably passed through several owners by now who likely skimped on maintenance.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #79
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
^Steven that you? lol
Haha yep. How you liking your E46?
j3welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #80
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Flame suit on but the m3's v8 has been a no-go for me since forever. Sounds orgasmic, but getting owned by otherwise stock tuned 335i is never going to feel good.

True, the handling does not feel anywhere close to an m3 though even with coilovers, but spending $1k on control arms, sway bars and subframe bushings will make it come real close. Either way, how many of us track our cars enough to make use of the handling superiority?

300hp/300torque stock, 360/380 with just a $100 tune, 400+/420 with tune, exhaust, DP and intake that can all be had for less than $1000.

HPFP and water pumps are the main issues with the car, but after 2 years of owning a now 6 year old car, I've never had to bring my car in.
It's like that with every car, some people are just unlucky and end up with a lemon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bored of the e92 335i already but it's because of the weakass looking fenders, boring hood and dated angel eyes.

Yeah, you can't compare a non-M to an M but I think for the e9x generation you can. The F8x M3/M4's are just insane, now for THOSE you can't compare.
wonton1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #81
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
Flame suit on but the m3's v8 has been a no-go for me since forever. Sounds orgasmic, but getting owned by otherwise stock tuned 335i is never going to feel good.

True, the handling does not feel anywhere close to an m3 though even with coilovers, but spending $1k on control arms, sway bars and subframe bushings will make it come real close. Either way, how many of us track our cars enough to make use of the handling superiority?

300hp/300torque stock, 360/380 with just a $100 tune, 400+/420 with tune, exhaust, DP and intake that can all be had for less than $1000.

HPFP and water pumps are the main issues with the car, but after 2 years of owning a now 6 year old car, I've never had to bring my car in.
It's like that with every car, some people are just unlucky and end up with a lemon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bored of the e92 335i already but it's because of the weakass looking fenders, boring hood and dated angel eyes.

Yeah, you can't compare a non-M to an M but I think for the e9x generation you can. The F8x M3/M4's are just insane, now for THOSE you can't compare.
I see you parting out your car, what you gonna drive next?
bomiheko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #82
RS controls my life!

Quote:

Lol, this is what every 335i owner says, including myself when I had one. And you won't be outrunning any generation of M3s at a stop light, those mods and the amount of torque the car produces at only 1500rpm practically make 1st and 2nd gear unusable at WOT without a LSD, esp considering how much it rains here in Vancouver.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #83
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:

Add E85 and the car flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3welz View Post
Lol, this is what every 335i owner says, including myself when I had one. And you won't be outrunning any generation of M3s at a stop light, those mods and the amount of torque the car produces at only 1500rpm practically make 1st and 2nd gear unusable at WOT without a LSD, esp considering how much it rains here in Vancouver.
Sure, hypothetically even if you cannot use ALL the power off the line the midrange power and passing ability of a modded 335i is just amazing. And the engine is just so smooth and the torque is perfect for day to day driving. No E46 or E92 M3 is going to pass me in straight line unless they've gone FI.

Not knocking the M3 in terms of handling but M3 owners should just accept that they have less power.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #84
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Its funny because people say "the 335i is way faster than the M3 in a straight line with mods" but then also say "you'd never feel the difference in handling anywhere but the track."
If you are driving hard enough to feel the power straight line power difference, you are going to drive hard enough to feel the handling difference.
I'm not an M snob. I drive the 2nd shittiest m3 ever made. (the shittiest is the e30, I still want one but seriously, its a 190hp 4 banger with a power band like a heart rate monitor) It couldn't compare to a new 335i. But a 328i of my generation couldn't equate to my m3. The e30 325is was faster in a straight line than the e30 m3 but it wouldn't ever be a better car. You could make it handle better than a stock m3 but the stock m3 would still be the better car. You could supercharge your e46 330i and make it faster than the e46 m3 but it still wouldn't be the better car. A car is the complete package more than the numbers that can be achieved with it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 02-03-2015 at 11:20 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #85

^From what I can see, the majority of the people here make use of torque more than horsepower and handling when driving in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3welz View Post
And how does the handling help in Vancouver then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomiheko View Post
I see you parting out your car, what you gonna drive next?
Not sure yet :P
Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #86
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Its funny because people say "the 335i is way faster than the M3 in a straight line with mods" but then also say "you'd never feel the difference in handling anywhere but the track."
If you are driving hard enough to feel the power straight line power difference, you are going to drive hard enough to feel the handling difference.
because every 335 owner likes to brag about how they can keep up with a car that costs $20K more, but knows that when it comes to turns their $20K less car wont be able to keep up so they always fall back to the "oh u wont feel the handling difference unless ur on the track pushing the car" saying.

lets face it people, a M3 is a M3, no amount of money spent on a 335 will make it a M3 no matter what...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #87
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Let's put it this way...
would you rather an import model with thick make-up and boob implants?
or a natural victoria's secret model

sure I'd do both, but i know what I'd prefer
gripenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #88
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I don't understand what's with this HANDLING addiction. If I drove from North Van to Langley, I make at most 10 turns lasting at most 1 minute in a whole 2 hour of driving.

So where else would handling benefit me?

I used to have a Mustang and everyone was like your car can't handle, but I never needed the handling performance.
mikey2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #89
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:

E92 M3s getting owned by 335i! that is funny especially with an open diff. How do you get the power down to the ground? It is hilarious when people say I spent $1000 on a tune and exhaust and can beat an M3. Sure you get power, but it is at the expense of reliability. Save you money on 335i mods and save up for a factory tuned car. haha!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post
I don't understand what's with this HANDLING addiction. If I drove from North Van to Langley, I make at most 10 turns lasting at most 1 minute in a whole 2 hour of driving.

I used to have a Mustang and everyone was like your car can't handle, but I never needed the handling performance.
regardless if you are taking turns at crazy speeds, having a car that responses & reacts to your every input at lower speeds is what is important to me. That is why light cars are so enjoyable to drive.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #91
RS controls my life!

Quote:
^From what I can see, the majority of the people here make use of torque more than horsepower and handling when driving in the city.

And how does the handling help in Vancouver then?

Not sure yet :P
Quite simple, making a left turn at a green light in the rain from a standstill. If you want to make that turn quickly, your DSC is going to be lighting up like a Christmas tree and cutting power mid turn.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #92

How often are we turning that quickly to the point where the traction control kicks in?
The m3 weights half a ton more than a non m. Make the m3 a convertible and it literally becomes pointless with an added 400lbs and costs 5k more.

Why does no one compare with the 335xi then? 335xi with a tune and intake takes sub 4 seconds to go 0-60. No traction problems with that then
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #93

Also agree with the fact that m3s are always better in every aspect but not for the e9x generation. Look at the e46, m3 in that Era destroys the non m. F8x destroys f3x. The lines are pretty blurry between the e9x m3 and the non ms.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #94

I think ppeople are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying the 335i is better , it definitely isn't. They are just faster in a straight line and people like me are pretty happy with the excellent handling the non-m bmws. But m3 doesn't have a clear victory over the 335 and that's the problem.

Been eyeing the m4 or gtr for a while now, e9x m3 will not be on my list , ever. I love them and they look sexy as hell but they are not for me and many people feels the same.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #95

"clear victory"?? what does that mean? from the cars you are "eyeing" you are obviously a force induction guy Vs NA guy. I personally appreciate NA over forced induction. When I trade my E93 cab in, I was considering the F80 M4, but all that torque through 2 tires is overwhelming and quite frankly not useable. For similar money (2015 M4 Vs 2012/13 991s), for me, the driving experience is far superior. I am intrigued about the upcoming awd M2s though......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #96
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post

This is akin to asking, we really only need 30 or so hp (maybe even less) to keep a car moving. If I drive from N.Van to Langley, I make at most 10 acceleration runs lasting at most 1 min out of the whole 2 hrs worth of driving. So why do we need 300hp cars?

Where else would the horsepower benefit me...

My dad used to drive a 60hp Datsun, and has taken our family all over the place (including going out of town). We never needed anything more than those 60hp!

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #97
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Thanks for saving my the typing traum
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #98
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
this thread sucks. so are you buying an E90 LP700-4-1234566788
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

This is akin to asking, we really only need 30 or so hp (maybe even less) to keep a car moving. If I drive from N.Van to Langley, I make at most 10 acceleration runs lasting at most 1 min out of the whole 2 hrs worth of driving. So why do we need 300hp cars?

Where else would the horsepower benefit me...

My dad used to drive a 60hp Datsun, and has taken our family all over the place (including going out of town). We never needed anything more than those 60hp!

That's actually my the point I was making, if torque and power means nothing then neither does handling
Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #100
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
this thread sucks. so are you buying an E90 LP700-4-1234566788
Gonna calm down a bit and look at other options in that price range. C63 comes to mind or maybe if theres any available a 2015 STI. E46 M3 will always be a car i want to own someday, unfortunately like i said theyre impossible to find in a clean low mileage form.

Didnt think this thread would become a 335i vs M3 debate haha.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: