REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #76
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
cuz that generates revenue for the company.

when buses don't make that revenue, it shows that less people use that route/bus. then that route gets axed or the bus gets reallocated to another route. then the people that rely on that bus gets screwed.

you can argue not alot of people do that, but when one person sees another person able to do it, it will spread like wildfire.

in short, the smaller route gets cut when the bus drivers just allow free rides.
I'm sorry but from an organizational perspective that is a complete failure.

Bus drivers should not be taking things like forcing payments into their own hands, especially if it compromises their safety and security. If it is the difference between getting into an altercation with someone, or letting them on for free, drivers should be instructed to let the person in for free. If translink isn't doing that shame on them.

I mean come on every bank, and convenience store tells their employees to just give up the money, it's never going to be worth it to be a hero, and you are going to sit here an try and tell me translink is too dumb to realize that 3 bucks isn't worth risking one of their drivers health and well being? Fuck off.

With the statement of it "spreading like wildfire" as soon as drivers document people who get on the bus often without payment, translink should dispatch some of their overpaid security guards to deal with the issue. If they nix a bus route because of fare evasion, without doing proper due diligence then I don't know what to say about their management.
Advertisement
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #77
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
i totally agree with you there. but there has to be a fine line.

they are told to never enforce payment simply because of what you pointed out, but at the same time, you can't always just say go ahead and let them ride free. it is a part of their job to collect payment.

it is unfortunate that some people just snap and assault drivers on a simple request to pay.

in regards to nixing a bus route because of fare evasion, its not just that, its overall revenue lost. its sad to say that when buses don't generate enough revenue to cover the cost of running it, they will reallocate the bus or change the route. the worst thing is that its always the smaller routes that go and it services outer reaches of the network.
__________________
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #78
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Gunsmokez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Im lost
Posts: 222
Thanked 68 Times in 34 Posts
Yup, I've already been spat on once and verbally been told to go "Fungula" on separate occasions. Gotta let that shit go, or it will eat you up and you will be a miserable fuck for the rest of your career.

to note, I didn't even ask them to pay. Just the mention of " Sir fare is $2.75 " some individuals will go ape shit on you.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #79
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,538
Thanked 1,661 Times in 844 Posts
Also why does translink pays more for people to work weekends? Say if your shift is form Wed to Sun you get pay 50% more on Sunday Vs regular days. You don't see police, fireman, nurse, doctor, call center service etc etc gets pay more for working on Sun.

People who works for translink fully knows they will need to work weekends. Why pay them more?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #80
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: van
Posts: 353
Thanked 2,038 Times in 176 Posts
Well there goes the CEO

Quote:
METRO VANCOUVER - TransLink CEO Ian Jarvis has stepped down, effective immediately "to restore public confidence" in the transportation authority, said board chairwoman Marcella Szel.

The move come ahead of a controversial plebiscite in Metro Vancouver this spring that will ask the public to approve a 0.5 per cent sales tax to fund transportation expansion across the region.

Doug Allen, who most recently served as president and Chief Executive Officer of InTransit BC, will replace Jarvis on an interim basis.

“The Board and the organization are committed to improving transit service and transportation in Metro Vancouver," Szel said. "The Board of Directors is listening to customers and the public regarding the need for change and has taken action.”

A search committee has been established by the board of directors to undertake a comprehensive search for a new CEO. This search is expected to take several months.

Jarvis, who has served TransLink since 1999 and as CEO since 2009, will act an advisor to the Board of Directors until the conclusion of his contract in June 2016.

The new CEO will oversee a $10-billion transportation system and $1.5 billion dollar operating budget, 6,700 employees, and TransLink’s operating companies: Coast Mountain Bus Company, BC Rapid Transit Company, and Transit Police. Building a better relationship with customers and key stakeholders will be paramount.

Allen recently served as president and Chief Executive Officer of InTransit BC, the company that built and operates the Canada Line.

Allen is not a candidate for permanent CEO and will work directly with the Board of Directors in recruiting and selecting his successor.

“During this transition period, Mr. Allen will provide excellent leadership on all priorities, including meeting aggressive targets on the Compass program, implementing recommendations from the independent review of the SkyTrain outages, and moving forward on actions to improve safety and service for our customers,” said Szel.
TransLink CEO Ian Jarvis steps down 'to restore public confidence'
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #81
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 3,103
Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,029 Posts
It's a baby step in the right direction, but I can't help to think that the resignation is a little too late.

With the upcoming all important referendum, the move will simply be seen as little more than a token political gesture. Interpreted another way, this Ian Jarvis dude is at least smart enough to get the hell out now. The referendum has riled up the hornet's nest of hate towards TransLink because of its long accumulated past failures, and regardless of how things play out in the referendum, whoever heads TransLink is still going to be made into the general target of hate and get blamed for any of TransLink's past, current, and future work, regardless of whether they are actual failures or moderate success. (And we all know outright success is all but impossible given TransLink's current structure, operation and governance model.)

IMO, the only way "to restore public confidence" is to hit the big [RESET] button -- dissolve TransLink as it is, and revise it from the ground up.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #82
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 684
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
The yes side is feeling the heat now. I'm still voting no
__________________
1993 Tourquise MR2 Turbo
2005 PWP TSX
2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #83
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,167
Thanked 18,409 Times in 3,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Also why does translink pays more for people to work weekends? Say if your shift is form Wed to Sun you get pay 50% more on Sunday Vs regular days. You don't see police, fireman, nurse, doctor, call center service etc etc gets pay more for working on Sun.

People who works for translink fully knows they will need to work weekends. Why pay them more?
While I do agree with your point. My wife is a nurse and she does get paid a premium for working nights and sundays, however I'm talking 2 bucks an hour extra, not 15-20.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #84
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
While I do agree with your point. My wife is a nurse and she does get paid a premium for working nights and sundays, however I'm talking 2 bucks an hour extra, not 15-20.
While I also agree, his use of plural makes my head hurt, so I ignored him.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #85
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
sp00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: van
Posts: 169
Thanked 99 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
News1130 ‏@News1130radio 29m29 minutes ago
.@Translink interim CEO Doug Allen will earn $35,000/month. Outgoing CEO Ian Jarvis will con't to earn his salary until June 2016.
sp00n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #86
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
fishCak3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: .
Posts: 585
Thanked 243 Times in 85 Posts
So they're paying ex-CEO to stay on till June, interim CEO while spending resources to look for a 3rd CEO
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #87
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
So they're paying ex-CEO to stay on till June, interim CEO while spending resources to look for a 3rd CEO
And this is supposed to help grow our confidence...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #88
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 144
Thanked 141 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
So they're paying ex-CEO to stay on till June, interim CEO while spending resources to look for a 3rd CEO
Don't worry, I'm sure the ex-CEO will continue to suck tax dollars to pay for that multi-million dollar pension and golden parachute he surely has.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #89
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Also why does translink pays more for people to work weekends? Say if your shift is form Wed to Sun you get pay 50% more on Sunday Vs regular days. You don't see police, fireman, nurse, doctor, call center service etc etc gets pay more for working on Sun.

People who works for translink fully knows they will need to work weekends. Why pay them more?
This is part of the collective agreement that was agreed upon by translink and the union. The reasons for the extra pay on sunday has already been stated in the thread.

It's like saying we know our usual work week is 9-5 mon to Friday but why pay extra on a a Monday when there is a Stat day?
__________________
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #90
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,167
Thanked 18,409 Times in 3,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
It's like saying we know our usual work week is 9-5 mon to Friday but why pay extra on a a Monday when there is a Stat day?

Because its federal law.
The fact the union negotiated it is neither here nor there when it comes to the tax payer agreeing with the way a publicly funded company spends its money. Just because the government agreed on a massive overinflated pension for any specific politician doesn't mean its appropriate use of funds. This is no different. This was translink negotiating a stupid bonus that they shouldn't because of lack of accountability for the funds.
Its a perfect example of the "fuck it we will just get more money" attitude that makes people dislike this organization.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #91
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,833
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,009 Posts
Quote:
@Translink interim CEO Doug Allen will earn $35,000/month. Outgoing CEO Ian Jarvis will con't to earn his salary until June 2016.
June 20-fucking-16????

God I hope that's a typo, because a 16 month severance package is fucking outrageous.

Edit: Fuck, 2016 is right.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...down-1.2953785
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #92
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post

Because its federal law.
The fact the union negotiated it is neither here nor there when it comes to the tax payer agreeing with the way a publicly funded company spends its money. Just because the government agreed on a massive overinflated pension for any specific politician doesn't mean its appropriate use of funds. This is no different. This was translink negotiating a stupid bonus that they shouldn't because of lack of accountability for the funds.
Its a perfect example of the "fuck it we will just get more money" attitude that makes people dislike this organization.
because its federal law. who made up those laws? where did the bases for that law come from?

it is no different than the collective agreement. these "laws" were founded based on how they want their employees to be treated. just like how federal law is there so that you are fairly treated.

i work, i get paid by the company. you work, and you get paid by your company. how the company makes the money and how they spend the money is of no concern as long as you get paid.

and if this negotiating was to go south, a strike might have happened (as it has before). you think that looks better in the public eye? i betcha not. it is another cost of operating a "business". sure they may be paying their employees more for this bonus, but having a strike would mean a bigger revenue lost where as negotiating can happen again 3 years down the road and they can try to get rid of this clause.

would you really care if the company you work for falls under the same heat as translink? i highly doubt it. you just need to get paid at the end of the day.
__________________
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #93
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,351
Thanked 1,791 Times in 822 Posts
^
The mentality on RS is this: if it's a public organization, employees have to work for wages lower than what they would get from private companies because they're using taxpayer dollars.

I think it's worth mentioning that inTransit BC, the SNC-Lavalin affiliated company that runs the Canada Line, had to negotiate with unionized employees of the Canada Line. Even if Translink played hardball with the unions in the next round of bargaining, I'm not sure if they would be able to achieve a huge rollback of benefits that have previously been negotiated. After all, it's not like Translink has the ability to pull a Ronald Reagan and just fire all of the workers and hire people at 20% less. When you're dealing with entrenched unions, it just doesn't work that way. Ask Christy Clark about her experience with the BCTF.

It's easy for people on here to rail against Translink for being shitty negotiators. Most people here have no idea how negotiation is done between large organizations, particularly public sector ones.

Last edited by Tapioca; 02-11-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #94
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
carisear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Central V
Posts: 5,504
Thanked 508 Times in 203 Posts
^ wrong.

The mentality of RS is that they should get the same as what the private sector gets, and not an inflated rate with extra benefits.
__________________
Visit my food blog! http://jaxandcs.com/

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 PM   #95
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,351
Thanked 1,791 Times in 822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
^ wrong.

The mentality of RS is that they should get the same as what the private sector gets, and not an inflated rate with extra benefits.
Then, what's the equivalent wage for a bus driver who works for a private company? How do people on RS know that what Translink negotiates isn't fair market value? I work in negotiations for a public organization and in my experience, we can be pretty stingy sometimes (we would be out of business pretty quickly if we weren't). People just look at the benefits and think - wow, I don't get any of that in my job. I'm talking about the total package - benefits vs perks that are not available to people working for public organizations (such as bonuses).

Last edited by Tapioca; 02-11-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #96
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
carisear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Central V
Posts: 5,504
Thanked 508 Times in 203 Posts
a 5 second google search shows in Vancouver, between 14 and 24, with the median being $20 / hour. Private companies generally don't get many benefits if any, and I'm going out on a limb, no bonuses either.


I don't really have any problem with wages for the workers though. Who wouldn't want to get the most amount of money for their work? We all know that unions demand much higher wages and benefits. The whole union discussion is a whole other can of worms that I can bitch about for years ...

The problem with translink is definitely at the executive and management level.
__________________
Visit my food blog! http://jaxandcs.com/

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #97
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 4,479
Thanked 373 Times in 144 Posts
$35k per month... gosh what do you do with all that money...
I know there are ppl make more than that in BC, but I still can't even comprehend how much money that is... most ppl's year wage...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #98
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
AWDTurboLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 590
Thanked 324 Times in 144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
So they're paying ex-CEO to stay on till June, interim CEO while spending resources to look for a 3rd CEO
Well, that's what a contract is right? He's not getting fired and his salary is what? Less than 0.05% of the operating budget of TransLink. That's one new bus. TransLink could either keep paying him and having him as the CEO or get him to step down and find someone else.

I'm not worried about them paying his salary, I'm more interested in getting someone new that can do a better job.
__________________
"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort"
AWDTurboLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #99
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,351
Thanked 1,791 Times in 822 Posts
Even if you cut the executive by 90%, have one CEO (no VPs, no board of directors, and have advisors work for free) and hire retail store managers on a 50K/year salary to manage technical staff and analysts (and pay them $14/hour because after all, they should be grateful for a job) you're not going to somehow build a new light rail system to Langley with the savings. It's preposterous.

The whole campaign has been mismanaged and it's doomed to fail. Even if you don't support public transit (whether it's beneath you, or because it doesn't factor into your lifestyle), it's hard to deny the fact is there are more cars in Metro Vancouver today than 20 years ago and that roads are becoming more congested despite major projects such as the Highway 1 overhaul and south perimeter road. So, what's the alternative? I have yet to hear of a good one.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #100
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,538
Thanked 1,661 Times in 844 Posts
^^ How about let's start by saying No. Give translink a reality check so they know they can't just keep asking for more money and mismanage it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net