REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #101
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
The problem isn't the absolute $$ figure of the CEO salary, how many of these CEO salaries we are paying, or how much the managers and executives make. The problem is the general approach TransLink operates and make its decision. There is little transparency to how they operate and spend their money. There is next to no accountability as a result of their decisions. The governance model is completely fxxked. These are the reasons why people need to vote NO for the upcoming referendum.

Unless we see a thorough shake up and opening up of TransLink (complete with mandatory external audits and stuff), the waste and excess will continue.

Fix up TransLink first. Then come back and ask me for more money to fix up public transportation and infrastructure. I would be far more willing to pay up then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Even if you cut the executive by 90%, have one CEO (no VPs, no board of directors, and have advisors work for free) and hire retail store managers on a 50K/year salary to manage technical staff and analysts (and pay them $14/hour because after all, they should be grateful for a job) you're not going to somehow build a new light rail system to Langley with the savings. It's preposterous.

The whole campaign has been mismanaged and it's doomed to fail. Even if you don't support public transit (whether it's beneath you, or because it doesn't factor into your lifestyle), it's hard to deny the fact is there are more cars in Metro Vancouver today than 20 years ago and that roads are becoming more congested despite major projects such as the Highway 1 overhaul and south perimeter road. So, what's the alternative? I have yet to hear of a good one.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Even if you cut the executive by 90%, have one CEO (no VPs, no board of directors, and have advisors work for free) and hire retail store managers on a 50K/year salary to manage technical staff and analysts (and pay them $14/hour because after all, they should be grateful for a job) you're not going to somehow build a new light rail system to Langley with the savings. It's preposterous.

The whole campaign has been mismanaged and it's doomed to fail. Even if you don't support public transit (whether it's beneath you, or because it doesn't factor into your lifestyle), it's hard to deny the fact is there are more cars in Metro Vancouver today than 20 years ago and that roads are becoming more congested despite major projects such as the Highway 1 overhaul and south perimeter road. So, what's the alternative? I have yet to hear of a good one.
I don't think anyone is denying the need for transit. Regardless of whether or not you use or like the idea of public transit, most everybody understands the need for it to exist. If they don't they are pretty daft.

I also understand that while there are many savings available these savings will likely not add up to cover the necessary investment right away, I would first like to see translink make their best efforts to make ends meet before asking for the government to essentially bail them out.

Beyond that though I have serious concerns on Translink's management, not from a pay scale perspective or monetary perspective, but from a leadership, management, and planning side.

I'd like to take a moment to look at another local, self contained, and HIGHLY successful operation. YVR. The airport here in vancouver has countless awards and accolades, over its illustrious lifespan. The airport has grown to meet the demand placed on it at the perfect rate.

There are numerous factors which have contributed to the success of YVR, but lets just look at a couple;

1. Ray Zibrik and the team assembled to run YVR project management ltd.

You read that correctly, the team in charge of managing projects at YVR is actually its own company, one that is so successful they have actually been hired in other places around the globe to consult and advise others on their expansion plans.

2. The Master Plan Development

In 1992 YVR enlisted the help of a few very renowned infrastructure planners. Together they spent almost 6 months developing a 20 year plan to carry YVR into the new millennium. The result was that over the next 20 years YVR grew almost exactly as per the plan. In fact the only departure from the plan was the west chevron expansion at YVR which was accelerated because of the 2010 olympic games. That expansion was completed in 2007 during one of the toughest times for owners trying to build stuff, why? Because the other competing projects were:

- Numerous High Rise Projects
- GVRD / GVWD
- MSA Hospital
- VCEC
- VANOC (Olympics)
- Sea to Sky Highway
- Gateway Projects
- BC Ferries
- Kelowna Bridge
- Canada Line
- Other: Residential Municipal, Commercial, etc.

And yet the team at YVR made that 200 million dollar project come in on time, and 30 million UNDER BUDGET.

---------------------------------

So lets take the two largest principles contributing to the success of YVR and see how Translink compares.

1. The team at translink is a god damn joke, I mean the guy who was there for 20 years, and CEO for the last 5+ was just forced to resign because he has made such a cock up of things. The rest of the team is just as big of a farce as well.

2. Translink's master plan. Holy smokes, where to begin, I guess you could being with, WHAT MASTER PLAN?

While YVR plans, and funds projects in 20 year intervals, translink generates plans on a 10 year basis, which wouldn't be so bad, except that they only actually think about funding 3 years in advance. In the infrastructure and major projects game, 3 years is pretty much considered short term planning. Hell even 10 years isn't really considered long term planning.

Do you understand the severity of what I am explaining here? There are projects translink has lined up which will go on for longer than 3 years, yet they havn't fully developed a master plan which will properly outlive that project build cycle.

By comparison YVR rebuilt its 20 year master plan once again back in 2007/2008, the master plan is expected to live until 2027, in the meantime they have already begun the consultation process for the development of a plan which will extend until well past 2040.

Translink? Translinks current plan does not even reach 2027, let alone try and get them to think about 2040.

We are talking about the entire URBAN PLAN OF METRO VANCOUVER, the transportation system of Western Canada's biggest fucking city, and the people we have entrusted our fucking future to, are just winging it.

And now they have the balls to come to us to fund for their lack of planning. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT, go back to the drawing board, come up with a proper fucking plan, present that plan, and then we will discuss how to come up with the money. Before any of that can happen we have to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

If it takes 6 months for a simple airport to generate a master plan, I can't imagine that translink could manage it in less than that period. So come back to us this fall translink. Until then fuck off with your bullshit, and your fare gates.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #103
I HERP TO YOU DERP

I don't think the general public would mind investing in transit infrastructure and compensating leadership. But the investment is contingent to the factor that leadership has to perform well; to which many of us don't think they are.

With the limited amount of information the general public has towards Translink BoD's decision making and planning processes it is really hard to fault any of us to use the visual cues and personal experiences to determine their performance. All the public has heard through news for the past few years are: skytrain failures, increased taxes to fund projects, and politicians, who have little to no subject matter expertise to infastructure planning, sounding and driving transit infastructure and city planning (bike lanes, expensive bridges, and light rail come to mind). As such, as a tax payer, I have very little confidence in Translink's think tank because they seem to have NO plan in place, they always seem to have new needs every couple of years and will always ask for more tax money to fulfill those plan.

I would think, at this point, the general public would want to see a new leadership within Translink and with that, a new approach towards transit and infastructure planning for Metro Vancouver.

However, in reality, we all know either direction on the vote would bring the whole city backwards instead of forward as leadership is too entrenched to really make any fundamental changes.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Do we really think that right now? When the biggest industry in BC is on the verge of collapse, is the best time to be trying to raise our provincial tax? I'd say not. You have to try and outlive the gun pointed directly at your head before you can find a way to escape this sinking ship.
Let's not kid ourselves, taxes is just a political tool. Otherwise, we'd have different tax rates during booms and busts. IMO, you're trying too hard to justify this when the focus should be, will this issue win an election.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #105
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
I don't think anyone is denying the need for transit. Regardless of whether or not you use or like the idea of public transit, most everybody understands the need for it to exist. If they don't they are pretty daft.

I also understand that while there are many savings available these savings will likely not add up to cover the necessary investment right away, I would first like to see translink make their best efforts to make ends meet before asking for the government to essentially bail them out.

Beyond that though I have serious concerns on Translink's management, not from a pay scale perspective or monetary perspective, but from a leadership, management, and planning side.

I'd like to take a moment to look at another local, self contained, and HIGHLY successful operation. YVR. The airport here in vancouver has countless awards and accolades, over its illustrious lifespan. The airport has grown to meet the demand placed on it at the perfect rate.
Spoiler!

^very well said.

Also thanked for interesting info on YVR.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #106
I don't get it

I'm allergic to the bus , only took the skytrain handful of times, so no thanks, raise the prices of tickets and upass. Charge the people who use it. Why would people who drive their own cars with insurance and gas to pay for still gotta fork out more for this transit bs.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Thats a stupid attitude, and people with attitudes like yours is why there is so much reactionary thinking without understanding both sides of the story. Why should I pay taxes for schools since I have no kids then?
If you want to live a life where you don't pay for anything you don't use, you should probably leave Canada.

Those of us with an educated perspective on this side of the argument don't agree with the excessive raising of taxes for a disorganized transit system with a proven history of money mismanagement.
The only thing I hate more than idiots arguing the other side of what I believe is idiots arguing the side I believe.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The only thing I hate more than idiots arguing the other side of what I believe is idiots arguing the side I believe.

Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #109

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Meme405:

With all due respect, the airport is pretty much given free reign to do as it pleases as the federal government largely plays an oversight role. And of course, when you have a chunk of land with no other government to answer to, you're allowed to be bold and innovative.

I'm not excusing the poor leadership that Translink has had over the years, but it has to deal with the mayors of 22 municipalities and the provincial government who won't give Translink the opportunities and freedom to executive long term plans. The mayors, except for 2, support the plan, however flawed it may be. That's gotta mean something given that it's nearly impossible for 20 politicians to agree on anything.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #110
I HERP TO YOU DERP

^ on a side note, does anyone think the whole gvrd should be operated under one municipality instead? That question has been raised to the public before and I can see in these situations that having multiple politicians fighting for their own interests make even seemingly simple decisions very hard.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #111
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
I'm allergic to the bus , only took the skytrain handful of times, so no thanks, raise the prices of tickets and upass. Charge the people who use it. Why would people who drive their own cars with insurance and gas to pay for still gotta fork out more for this transit bs.
Not sure if you're merely playing devil's advocate or legitimately an idiot. I don't use the bus either, can I just opt out of taxes? I don't have any kids too, can I opt out of education? No of course not, there is no country in the world where you can just opt out of services you don't use. This is a democratic government, not Shaw Cable.

I think what everyone on the "No" side is saying is that we don't want to give more of our money to a company that is being mismanaged, not that we are against public transit. Not everyone can afford a car or even wants to drive, and I think because we have cars - i.e., we are more fortunate - we should help those that can't. But I would like to help the less fortunate with my taxes, not pad some wealthy exec's bank account...

P.S. You are not "allergic" to the bus. If you were, you'd be allergic to your own car too since the materials used in producing a bus are similar to the materials used in your car. If what you really are is "allergic" to being around people, just say it... your post already makes you look like a moron anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
^ on a side note, does anyone think the whole gvrd should be operated under one municipality instead? That question has been raised to the public before and I can see in these situations that having multiple politicians fighting for their own interests make even seemingly simple decisions very hard.
I think that'd be a great idea, purely because if other municipalities had their say we would never have some pie-in-the-sky hippie like Robertson at the helm.

Last edited by Tone Loc; 02-12-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #112
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
The voting card will be mailed to you in March. You just fill it out, and mail it back.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #113
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The voting card will be mailed to you in March. You just fill it out, and mail it back.
Good! Can't wait to vote no on it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #114
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
F'n awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #115
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Sounds like everyone is just fed up with being translink's "atm".

Of course everyone understands we need to have better transit and the expansion of it but are not on board to be an ATM for a company with reckless spending habits. I think it boils down to until the public has faith in what translink is doing and actually own up to their responsibilities then we be more willing to fund them.

Whats the point of funding a kid with terrible spending habits? The only thing you'll end up doing is encouraging them. IMO those who vote yes are wanting a translink expansion is great but I don't think voting yes will be the smartest decision because its basically funding translink's terrible spending so to speak.
mdnx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #116
Need to Seek Professional Help

Am I the only one that, whenever I see a Pro-Translink post, automatically assume the person either works for Translink, or has a family member who works for Translink? :P
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #117
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
No TransLink Tax

Anti-tax set up for this proposed tax increase. It's obviously biased, but informative.

I rarely take transit...but I wouldn't mind paying more tax to make our transit system better, remove congestion, etc.

But fuck me if I vote to pay a single more cent to fucking Translink.
Fuck Translink and everything they do and stand for. Fuck.
I don't trust a thing translink says when they mention "improvements"

That's what they said about the fare hikes years ago. "It's to improve our services"

I have seen fuck all in regards to improvements in my area.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #118
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Can we bring back the HST now please?

Btw, did anyone else notice that our provincial income tax brackets went up by 0.7%? Thanks a lot you fuck heads that voted no to the HST.
("For the 2015 tax year, the tax brackets were increased from the previous year by a BC CPI rate of 0.7%.")
Tax Rates - Personal Income Tax

All this bullshit + our income tax wouldn't even be an issue right now if we just had the HST.

Fuck, this is so damn annoying. Fuck all of you who voted no to the HST, your ignorance is so frustrating.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Can we bring back the HST now please?

Btw, did anyone else notice that our provincial income tax brackets went up by 0.7%? Thanks a lot you fuck heads that voted no to the HST.
("For the 2015 tax year, the tax brackets were increased from the previous year by a BC CPI rate of 0.7%.")
Tax Rates - Personal Income Tax

All this bullshit + our income tax wouldn't even be an issue right now if we just had the HST.

Fuck, this is so damn annoying. Fuck all of you who voted no to the HST, your ignorance is so frustrating.
The HST issue was all a matter of principle. People were pissed that Campbell went directly against his word. He told us during his campaign he wouldn't bring in the HST, but ended up doing it 2 years later, and he pissed everyone off.

I agree HST was much better, but emotions about Campbell got in the way of everyone seeing that.

That entire nightmare cost BC like 2 billion dollars. Money which could have been used in countless ways. Money which bringing it back now will not bring back.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #120

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
dude im sure a lot of people don't even pay for skytrain.

i always buy my ticket because i dont wanna have a criminal record but believe or not, i never got checked.

they should invest in something like this before tax hike.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #121

and BC has bigger problems too...why do we pay so much for cell phones? why do we pay so much for vehicle insurance?

and now tax hike for useless translink?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
and BC has bigger problems too...why do we pay so much for cell phones? why do we pay so much for vehicle insurance?

and now tax hike for useless translink?
We pay so much for cell phones because our market is small, and the area companies have to provide coverage for is large. By contrast California is less than the size of BC, and has more people in it then all of canada, obviously their cellular service will be better and cheaper...

Our vehicle insurance is expensive because you all fucking suck at driving. Period.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #123
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What happened to all the money they have been collecting from the parking meter money grab in Vancouver?
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #124
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
An older article, but this showcases exactly why we now have to spend a million dollars for a referendum which should never have been needed.

$600K price tag for public art puts TransLink in hot seat - British Columbia - CBC News

meme405 was talking about "planning" up in this thread - well Translink had planned to spent 600 million dollars on public artwork that nobody wants/needs.

Fuck Translink.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #125

Quote:
We pay so much for cell phones because our market is small, and the area companies have to provide coverage for is large. By contrast California is less than the size of BC, and has more people in it then all of canada, obviously their cellular service will be better and cheaper...

Our vehicle insurance is expensive because you all fucking suck at driving. Period.
I don't even remember the exact reason but there's a system in BC where new cell phone companies can not enter. That's why Wind can not provide services like Rogers and Telus.

Cell phone industry is sort of monopolized, kind of like car insurance.