REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Apparently you can open the cockpit door via code, however the person inside can deny access...so
Also there should be a flight attendant inside, while one of the pilots is out. Too many questions
Advertisement
IINur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Horrific.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Horrible to hear, hopefully they can sort this out more quickly that other recent aviation tragedies.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
In this day and age. Is it going to be that much more money or work to include a video of the cockpit inside the black box?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #30
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINur View Post
Apparently you can open the cockpit door via code, however the person inside can deny access...so
Also there should be a flight attendant inside, while one of the pilots is out. Too many questions
I just heard on the BBC that the captain outside enters a code and the captain inside then chooses to unlock it (confirmation code basically)

BUT there is also an override on the outside to get inside if there's an emergency but the authorities/media aren't letting it known how this is done for obvious reason

interesting
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,732 Times in 810 Posts
reports are now saying the co-pilot crashed the plane deliberately. must have locked the captain out, and did his thing.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #32
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
If the pilot in the cockpit turns the switch to "lock" than there's basically no way of getting into the cockpit even with a code. Usually the switch is on the "norm" setting or can be moved to "unlock".

In the US when one pilot has to leave the cockpit, a flight attendant must replace him/her because under US regulations there has to be two people in the cockpit at all times to basically prevent what happen in this tragedy. Lufthansa obviously didn't have this policy.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
reports are now saying the co-pilot crashed the plane deliberately. must have locked the captain out, and did his thing.
here's a link that backs that up.
Germanwings crash: 'co-pilot's actions leave us speechless,' says airline ? live updates | World news | The Guardian
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
In this day and age. Is it going to be that much more money or work to include a video of the cockpit inside the black box?
I'm not sure how the black box stores audio, but video is a shitload more information to be storing than just audio. Seeing how good groups like the TSA are at sorting out the cause of a crash based on just audio (I think there's only 1 unsolved accident in the TSA's history?) it seems unnecessary.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts

now y'all know how to enter the cockpit

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Wow did not expect that, that makes the situation all the more tragic...which, as had been noted already, brings to question the need of locking the cockpit doors. Its never seemed like a good idea, especially when there is already armed security on board.
There isn't always armed security onboard. In fact, there generally is not security on board, but as a passenger you will never know when.

Tragic to say the least. I couldn't imagine the feeling of being locked, or the passengers watching the captain not being able to access the cockpit. But as the video says, the shouts were not heard until close to impact. Awful.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I just heard on the BBC that the captain outside enters a code and the captain inside then chooses to unlock it (confirmation code basically)

BUT there is also an override on the outside to get inside if there's an emergency but the authorities/media aren't letting it known how this is done for obvious reason

interesting
There is multiple codes, which give different notifications in the flight deck. One particular code will unlock the door after a period of time has passed without a "deny" from the cockpit. This would allow access in the case of pilot unconsciousness while the other is in the back.

As for an override, i'm not aware of one. I'm sure maintenance has this ability, but the crew certainly does not know it.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #38

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
This is horrific! Any info. on this 28 year old pilot's background?

-had the scary thought of what happens if a pilot gets air rage, or suffers mental health issues that can lead to this sort of tragedy.

Does anyone know if airlines require pilots to undergo psychiatric evalutions/mental health checkups during their time of employment?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #39
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
He basically murdered almost as many people as Timothy McVeigh did in the Oklahoma City bombing.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Does anyone know if airlines require pilots to undergo psychiatric evalutions/mental health checkups during their time of employment?
even if he passes, it doesnt predict what will happen in his life in the future

maybe his gf dumped him, maybe he owes money

if anything, they should have periodic psychiatric checkups
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
He basically murdered almost as many people as Timothy McVeigh did in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Fuck I have a recurring nightmare about being on an airplane and crashing into a rocky, wooded area

What a horrific event, hope the victims' families find some peace in visiting the site and supporting each other.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
The US requirement (now Canada too as of today) of having 2 persons at all times in the cockpit made a lot of sense... too bad other places didn't follow until this tragedy.

The loophole here however is the designated person to enter the cockpit when one of the pilots needs to leave. It should be made always a random selection among several crew members to avoid people hacking this method.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #43
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Uh Oh, the co-pilots name is Andreas Lubitz queue the speculation that he's a jewish terrorist...oh wait..

Okay queue CiC in 3, 2, 1..
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #44

If someone has a death wish/terrorist plan. I highly doubt a Flight attendant in the cockpit is going to stop anything. But I understand why they have to implement the rule for the medias sake.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #45

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
At some point, you'll just have to trust that not everyone's a psycho. Unless you board yourself up and live the hermit life, anyone walking past you can have the potential to take your life. You can't live your life if you keep thinking that way.

There's no fail-safe approach you can take simply because the advantage always goes to the person who's motivated to cause harm.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
If someone has a death wish/terrorist plan. I highly doubt a Flight attendant in the cockpit is going to stop anything. But I understand why they have to implement the rule for the medias sake.
If someone really, really wants to put a plane into the ground I'm not sure how much even a second pilot in there can do to stop them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #47
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was thinking the same initially, but then I realized that maybe it would help.
The bad pilot can't steer the plane into the ground AND at the same time stop the flight attendant from opening the cockpit door to allow the other pilot and/or passengers from storming in to overpower him.

Sure, maybe the bad pilot can kill the flight attendant first... but at least it's one additional step he would need to do.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #48

Airplanes have autopilots and fly perfectly well for hours on their own. As I said previously a single person is not going to stop someone with a plan. Yes it is an extra step. That is true. It may stop a gruesome attack with the safety axe in the flight deck, but it doesn't stop them from using the aircraft to their advantage. You have to remember, a flight attendant is not strapped in. They could could easily be knocked out with a couple quick maneuvers with the flight controls. Its for the media, so the companies won't be under fire when they aren't backing the same silly procedures as another airline. Personal opinion at least.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #49
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
In my airline our cabin crew are trained to read checklists in case something happens while the other guy is taking a toilet break. So yes, we always have at least two people in the cockpit for a reason
Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #50
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Lufthansa's wild ride

Fuck that's like my worst nightmare :s