REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #151
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
I have a giftcardA from FutureShop, giftcardB from Best Buy.

Anyone know if I can bring both in, and transfer the amount to a brand new giftcard C?
Yes, you can.
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #152
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Nooooo! the Steelbook exclusives!!!
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #153
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
I have a giftcardA from FutureShop, giftcardB from Best Buy.

Anyone know if I can bring both in, and transfer the amount to a brand new giftcard C?
read: Electronics, Cameras, Computers, Video Games, TVs & Appliances - Future Shop
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #154
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
well, if anyone is interested in as to why this happened at the meeting today we had it was explained ( i work at the large distribution warehouse )

bestbuy was purchase in early 2000's. but before it was purchased futureshop and bestbuy were about to essentially go to war in canada. last minute before futureshop officialy opened they bought bestbuy. By that time it was too late to scrap the bestbuy brand so they ran with it and it did great having the 2 brands "compete"

as of late they dont have much competition at a store level and online shopping is growing by the day.. so they are basically competing with themselves for real estate, advertising and vendor contracts

over the past few years there was a growing trend of people preffering the bestbuy brand over futurshop for obvious reasons.

futureshop employees were making less money (commission) because online sales were growing.. even online sales within the store wouldnt make them commission so they wouldnt go out of their way to really help a customer find what they needed.

so as online shopping grows, commission sales drop. and so does customer service so now the plan is to put all advertising and headcount into the bestbuy brand.. but who knows if its too late for that now

so of course thats the brand that dies and it makes sense

the futureshop brand dying hit the warehouse pretty hard today in terms of layoffs and internal changes as well. sooooo maybe i will be on the market soon

for the record ive had great success with the warranty when it comes to the mobile department but i wouldnt consider buying it for anything else
The Future Shop/Best Buy DC is full of people trying to turn a dead end into a career. I quit after nine months in White Goods to take a position with a construction company, and within six months I was making more per hour than my former boss that had been with the DC for six/seven years. I don't know you and I don't know your background, and to offer advice to anyone is to put oneself in an admittedly precarious position, but I would tell anyone working there to get the fuck out of that place because there are no shortage of way better opportunities out there, particularly at this time of year..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #155
I don't get it

when I bought my Samsung S4 early last year from FS I bought the extended warranty they offered, $12.99 / month for extended warranty. I used it last year when the phone stopped reading the sim card and they gave me a brand new S4 on the spot no hidden fees or anything, so I was happy.

The replacement S4 started doing the same thing on the weekend so I figured I would head to BB and see if they still cover the warranty. The staff was awesome (especially being 11am on the opening day !) they had no problem finding my warranty and helping me. The mobile sales guy even told me I basically had a credit for $700 for a new phone so I got to pick any phone they had, ended up going with a galaxy S5 because I do like the phone. Very happy with the service and first time experience at the new BB (was originally a FS store that changed to BB) and also very happy I got a brand new S5 for no extra money, and my contract is up in about 8 months so I can get another new phone when its done !
Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #156
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok so why did they pick Best Buy instead of Future Shop?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #157
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
ok so why did they pick Best Buy instead of Future Shop?
you're kidding, right?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #158
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinloc View Post
when I bought my Samsung S4 early last year from FS I bought the extended warranty they offered, $12.99 / month for extended warranty. I used it last year when the phone stopped reading the sim card and they gave me a brand new S4 on the spot no hidden fees or anything, so I was happy.

The replacement S4 started doing the same thing on the weekend so I figured I would head to BB and see if they still cover the warranty. The staff was awesome (especially being 11am on the opening day !) they had no problem finding my warranty and helping me. The mobile sales guy even told me I basically had a credit for $700 for a new phone so I got to pick any phone they had, ended up going with a galaxy S5 because I do like the phone. Very happy with the service and first time experience at the new BB (was originally a FS store that changed to BB) and also very happy I got a brand new S5 for no extra money, and my contract is up in about 8 months so I can get another new phone when its done !
except many credit card already does this for the 12 months after your warranty expires.
sure there's more legwork involved and does not apply to repairable goods (ie. camera bodies) but in many cases you get the same outcome...just people don't even know about it. So these long term warranty only work out in your favour if your big ticket item dies after warranty + 12 months later. I like Visions' extended warranty...last I check if you don't use it they'll refund it back as a store credit.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #159
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

almost all credit card warranties have a clause that do not cover electronics, phones and surprisingly automobiles haha
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #160
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
almost all credit card warranties have a clause that do not cover electronics, phones and surprisingly automobiles haha
matching username

you can't cover a autombile on cc because you cant put the entire amount on it.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #161
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
matching username

you can't cover a autombile on cc because you cant put the entire amount on it.
I think the problem is that dealers don't take it. Otherwise I'd think many had no problem getting a car on a cc since bank gives out credit like mad.

Think all the points or cashback you can get.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #162
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think the problem is that dealers don't take it. Otherwise I'd think many had no problem getting a car on a cc since bank gives out credit like mad.

Think all the points or cashback you can get.
The most the dealership would let me put on my credit card was $10k, they said 6k was the max but i lied and said another dealership would do 10k.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #163
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Fuck... Best buy at Lansdowne smells weird.
You can thank #9....

Noob In Training.
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #164
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,242 Times in 1,413 Posts
Went to the Granville Robson one today. All the FS signage is still there. I recognized a lady at customer service, so I guess they didn't lay off all the employees there.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #165
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,410 Times in 3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Went to the Granville Robson one today. All the FS signage is still there. I recognized a lady at customer service, so I guess they didn't lay off all the employees there.
They did fire all of them. The employees could reapply for a job at a lower wage.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #166
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
They did fire all of them. The employees could reapply for a job at a lower wage.
That's shitty. Image making $18/hr before and now you are only getting 12/hr doing exactly the same thing at the same location.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #167
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I believe that the commissioned associates were let go in the converting stores as the commission model is not used in the BBY stores. These associates are free to reapply for hourly sales roles if they would like.

The non-commissioned associates were largely retained and with the same hourly rates that they had previously from what I read.

Last edited by Sunfighter; 04-11-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Sunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #168

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Cant say I will miss them at all.
Last time I shopped there was back in 04 and all I remember is being badgered by the sales staff ever 5min and then when I wanted to make a purchase they tried to sell me additional warranty and coverages despite me declining many times.

Never enjoyed the experience there but only been a few times. Now I just buy online but it sure sucks for all the employees that just show up for work and get canned.....I can only imagine.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
except many credit card already does this for the 12 months after your warranty expires.
sure there's more legwork involved and does not apply to repairable goods (ie. camera bodies) but in many cases you get the same outcome...
My Visa extended warranty is through an insurance company called Aviva. When my Nexus 5 had issues they wanted me to send it to LG for repairs who quoted 3 months repair time. When I refused they told me to take it to some hole in the wall Chinese repair shop in Vancouver they found.

Not as convenient as on the spot replacement. They will try hard to give you the lowest cost solution regardless of inconvenience.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #170
I don't get it

Spoiler!

sorry I should have been more specific, I didn't actually pay for the original S4- I signed a new contract with rogers and just payed like $50 at the time. so the extended warranty thru my CC wouldn't have covered it either way :P I was just very happy with 2 replacement phones on the spot with no waiting lol
Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #171
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinloc View Post

sorry I should have been more specific, I didn't actually pay for the original S4- I signed a new contract with rogers and just payed like $50 at the time. so the extended warranty thru my CC wouldn't have covered it either way :P I was just very happy with 2 replacement phones on the spot with no waiting lol
i have replaced about 5 phones and always upgraded because of things like sticky buttons, low battery life and other stupid reasons. the warranty for the mobile devices is a very good investment imo.. other electronics.. not so much
snails is offline   Reply With Quote