REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

So... What happens to preordered games?
Advertisement
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #27
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschedog View Post
So... What happens to preordered games?
fuureshop.. is bestbuy... so its still the same, they will have some sort of crossover process
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Even before online shopping became a big thing, I hated shopping at Future Shop and any other store with commission based sales staff. They're rarely helpful or knowledgeable, mostly looking to just make a sale (and of course the extended warranty after).

The only surprise to this story is that it didn't happen sooner. I would have expected it when they started opening Best Buy stores in Canada.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I feel bad for the staff. I know a lot of people have poor experience with Futureshop's salespeople (which is, for the most part, a direct result of management), but most people who work there are still decent people who are now out of work.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

One of the main reasons why they kept Best Buy as the Canadian Brand is because Best Buy is not under commission
van19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #31
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I hope they keep the location on Granville, its always busy there and it's the one I always go to.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Fuck... Best buy at Lansdowne smells weird.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
futureshop is ruthless when it comes to laying off employees...all they can think about is damage control. I get the complaint of high prices or commission based service sure if youre one of those that just walks in with zero research... but if youre a savvy shopper you know this is the only reason why you were able to bag so many good pricematch deals over the years. so as much as I despise fs they will be missed in this regard. their stores were way too massive for people to come in and check things out only to buy at competitors.

no offense to an early comment but nciz service is shit as well. at least fs has good return and shipping policy. I guess the reps at ncix are at least somewhat knowledgeable. ive been waiting forever for memory express to open up on this side of the bridge for years now...

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-28-2015 at 10:08 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #34
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I hope they keep the location on Granville, its always busy there and it's the one I always go to.
Pretty sure one article said this location will be one of the rebranded ones.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #35
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Best Buy will honour Future Shop gift cards at any location across the country. Existing product orders, service appointments and warranties will continue to be honoured, and Future Shop purchases can be returned or exchanged at any Best Buy location.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #36
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,209 Times in 1,394 Posts
Hard to survive in the current industry.. online shopping provides more convenience with larger inventory.

I haven't really purchased anything at Future Shop in the past couple of years aside from a phone case and some video game consoles. Everything else I've bought from NCIX or on the internet.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #37
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
internet = less overhead and dont have to pay employees

i can see why they are closing their actual stores. Besides, doesnt like everyone just buy shit online cus its cheaper lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Tbh, I expected this when they had the merger in like what? 2004? Makes no sense for two big electronic retailers with the same parent company to operate and sell pretty much the exact same things. I do know that from the employment side of view, there is a difference in policies. I wonder what's going to happen with the FS on Lansdowne. Rarely buy anything from FS/Bbuy other than games/peripherals. MemoryExpress

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #39
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Ugh

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #40

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post

i can see why they are closing their actual stores. Besides, doesnt like everyone just buy shit online cus its cheaper lol
Exactly, go to the store figure out what you want then go home and buy it online. It's like buying books from Chapters when you can go on Amazon and order them 50% off.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Tbh, I expected this when they had the merger in like what? 2004? Makes no sense for two big electronic retailers with the same parent company to operate and sell pretty much the exact same things. I do know that from the employment side of view, there is a difference in policies. I wonder what's going to happen with the FS on Lansdowne. Rarely buy anything from FS/Bbuy other than games/peripherals. MemoryExpress
FS from Lansdowne as well as Brideport are permanently closed. They are both going to merge into the Lansdowne Best Buy.
van19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #42
I STILL don't get it

Ughh this is gonna be a shit show. Have some e3 preorders with futureshop but credit card expired and I can't update the payment info
bakasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #43

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:

Not everyone.

I know many businesses won't deal with online for anything important. If it breaks down, they want a replacement right away, not 2 business days from now. Saving $50 on equipment isn't worth it when the trade-off is losing 1.5 days worth of productivity.

Many older people also prefer to do business in-store. They're generally uncomfortable shopping online and want to have someone to talk to before making their purchase (which also makes them susceptible to sleazy salesmen) or if something goes wrong.

Online shopping took a big chunk out of them, for sure, but mismanagement is equally, if not moreso, responsible. The writing's been on the wall for years. For whatever reason, these companies (Best Buy, The Source, Staples) have failed to make the necessary changes to adapt to the marketplace (I know in Staples' case, they not only failed to adapt, but completely misread the trends by opening around 100 new stores between 2007-2011 (est.), mostly in areas that already had a Staples (or multiple Staples); the only reasons why they haven't folded completely are the ultra high margins on furniture, office supplies, and printing services). That's one of the (many) reasons why I got out in 2011 after a decade in retail. I'm glad I did because the guy who replaced me ended up getting laid off and hired back a couple of years ago with a ~$15k/year paycut, less vacation time, fewer benefits, etc. and they permanently laid him off a few months ago citing "financial" on his RoE.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
i picked a product off the shelf a few weeks ago at a Future Shop, took it to the checkout and they wouldn't let me pay until i went back and got a sales guy, because of the commission bullshit.

i said i don't want to, they said i have to! lol fuck that, i just left.
LOL that's why I always tell cashier no one help me if they ask. I know what I want to buy, go in store and just pick what I need and leave.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i think the source is actually doing fairly decent?
that's what BB/FS should've done in the first place, open a regular sized store in the mall and only stock what's popular and let everything else be special order/online. There's no need for massive retail space like Circuit City/Fry's
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #46
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i think the source is actually doing fairly decent?
that's what BB/FS should've done in the first place, open a regular sized store in the mall and only stock what's popular and let everything else be special order/online. There's no need for massive retail space like Circuit City/Fry's
They actually DID do this, they had one FutureShop.ca store in North Van and another one in Ontario. Smaller store but most popular assortment was carried there.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #47
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Depends. I still go to actual stores to make purchase. There are some stuff that you need to see first or try first before buying IE shoes or headphones, TV. Stuff that really needs to fit your needs it is best to try it in the store first. Also with in store purchase it is easier to refund.

Online is nice but the refund policy is so so at best. I have had horrible experience buying online before and refund policy made so hard to refund the item I just kept it. Smaller items I don't really matter much I usually buy online IE T-shirts, phone case because they are usually a lot cheaper online and even if they don't really fit is still fine.

Unless is actually a really really good deal buying at the store vs online you don't really save much. Is just easier for people to go online and click a button to buy VS visiting the actual store.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #48
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Coquitlam Centre location, not that any of us should be surprised

Was a bit surreal walking up to the inside entrance to the store to find the doors closed and all the windows wrapped up. There was a guy pacing around when I showed up. Then the side door opened and he walked in, so definitely some activity going on.

As someone who has lost a job 3 times (all due to corporate sell off), I definitely feel empathy for the people affected.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
i picked a product off the shelf a few weeks ago at a Future Shop, took it to the checkout and they wouldn't let me pay until i went back and got a sales guy, because of the commission bullshit.

i said i don't want to, they said i have to! lol fuck that, i just left.
Reminds me of a time when me and my dad bought a TV on Boxing Day 5 years or so ago at FS Bridgeport. I still remember his name to this day. Told us the Extended Protection Plan was half off.
Went home, did my research the next two days and realize he lied to us and we paid what was regular price on the EPP.

Few days after, I stood in line at the Return desk only to be questioned why I'm not interested in the EPP. The clerk wouldn't stop telling me how awesome the EPP is and how his TVs break down in the 2nd year and blah blah. He literally made me listen to his bullshit for a good 5 minutes before I said just give me the damn refund.

Now, knock on wood, my Sony LCD tv is still going strong and well beyond the EPP warranty if I had taken it.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #50

I never buy warrantees. Such a waste of dough
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote