REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #101
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
If 370Z is going to be $30,000 here are some rivals in terms of price & power.

Ford Mustang
MSRP: $25,349
3.7L V6
300 hp @ 6,500 rpm
280 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

Chevrolet Camaro
MSRP: $30,845
3.6L V6
323hp @ 6800 rpm
278 lb.-ft. @ 4800 rpm

Dodge Challenger
MSRP: $29,995
3.6L V6
305 hp @ 6,350 rpm
268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #102

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ Genesis Coupe

MSRP: $26,750
3.8L V6
345 hp @ 6400 rpm
295 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
^ Genesis Coupe

MSRP: $26,750
3.8L V6
345 hp @ 6400 rpm
295 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm
$29,499.00
New Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2014, 2.0T, 3.8, 3.8GT - Luxury Sports Car - Affordable Sports Car
Old 04-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #104
I am Hook'd on RS

Whether or not you believe people actually need more than 2 seats on a regular basis, the fact remains that the lack of actual seating for more than 2 people greatly restricts the potential market for the car.

I've driven a 2 seater as my sole vehicle for the past 2.5 years. It was fine at first, as I was hanging out with people that all had their own vehicle, but then I started hanging out with some friends that didn't.

With careful planning, I've avoided most conflicts by planning ahead of time and informing the friend that I can only drive one person. However, situations inevitably arise where the lack of seats ends up inconveniencing either yourself where you can't fit some stuff, or some other people and they would have to find their way home in the middle of the night, where it would have been on your way had you had an extra seat.

Caveat is, I was able to borrow both my brother's or mother's vehicle pretty often, which indeed have more than 2 seats.

It is actually quite a hassle, and I am sure a vast majority of the car buying public would not want to live with a 2 seater as an only vehicle.
Rainei is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #105
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

new 2015 pricing is really messed up.
2015 3.8GT is now 5k more than last year's and they left out HID and Navi..
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #106
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
On twists and turns and a track sure, but for daily driving I'm getting really sick of underpowered vehicles. And lets be honest, the vast majority of 86/Z/Genesis owners just use them as DD's.
Depends where/how you drive. And whether or not you are pissing off the people behind you, personally I couldn't give a flying fuck as $167 and 3 points is not worth appeasing the d-bag tailgating me but isn't smart enough to pass...

Personally, I've had my fair share of speeding tickets back in my N days - including losing my license - that I drive like a grandpa on the road now. For DD, you don't really need a whole lot of power to keep up with traffic... it's not like we live in Washington state where the highway traffic flow is like 120 km/h. Then again, I've only ever owned "slow" cars so that's just me.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainei View Post
Whether or not you believe people actually need more than 2 seats on a regular basis, the fact remains that the lack of actual seating for more than 2 people greatly restricts the potential market for the car.

I've driven a 2 seater as my sole vehicle for the past 2.5 years. It was fine at first, as I was hanging out with people that all had their own vehicle, but then I started hanging out with some friends that didn't.

With careful planning, I've avoided most conflicts by planning ahead of time and informing the friend that I can only drive one person. However, situations inevitably arise where the lack of seats ends up inconveniencing either yourself where you can't fit some stuff, or some other people and they would have to find their way home in the middle of the night, where it would have been on your way had you had an extra seat.

Caveat is, I was able to borrow both my brother's or mother's vehicle pretty often, which indeed have more than 2 seats.

It is actually quite a hassle, and I am sure a vast majority of the car buying public would not want to live with a 2 seater as an only vehicle.
Whether or not you believe it most people actually do NOT need more than 2 seat most of the time.

That's why Smart cars have only 2 seats and they actually did quite extensive research on that.

And if you're worried about passenger capacity, which is understandable, you probably shouldn't be looking for a sportscar. Maybe get an EVO or STi.

Most Ferrari and Lamborghini have 2 seats and they still sell like hot cake. Same with Miata, Elise, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
new 2015 pricing is really messed up.
2015 3.8GT is now 5k more than last year's and they left out HID and Navi..
Maybe different Korean-Canadian rate exchange?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #109
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Most Ferrari and Lamborghini have 2 seats and they still sell like hot cake. Same with Miata, Elise, etc.
I really don't think people buying any of these types of cars are considering based on seating capacity.. They sell like hot cakes because they're directed at a specific market, but not the type of market that thinks "hmm I might have to drive my friends home on Friday night"
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
I really don't think people buying any of these types of cars are considering based on seating capacity.. They sell like hot cakes because they're directed at a specific market, but not the type of market that thinks "hmm I might have to drive my friends home on Friday night"
So if you're a type of person who makes purchasing decision based on the car's capability to drive your friends around on Friday nights, then neither FRS/370Z is for you.

There are much better option for you out there.

EVO, STi, ISF, M3, A4, etc...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #111
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm just merely commenting on the fact that the vast majority of the population would not consider a 2 seater based purely on the fact that indeed, they have friends that they would like to drive around on Friday nights.

Yes, most people dont use the back seats 95% of the time. It's the 5% where you do need it that really annoys people.

But otherwise yea, sacrifices have to be made since Miatas are too good not to drive.. Though I'm considering getting a four door for back up duties.
Rainei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #112
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The issue lies the price tag of $36K 2 seaters car that is being used for DD then seems waste of money, unless you have rich. If you finance or lease $36K its at least $600~700 per month commitment for like next 6~8 years. Majority of people who drive Smart car are single people who takes it too work. Who also rarely family. While for Lambo, 370Z isnt Lambo.
Gamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #113
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I sat down with the salesman and we read the email from Nissan to the dealerships with the new information on 2016 pricing. It was clear that it was added when you got to Touring and above only.

While an aftermarket LSD is certainly possible, it's not legal in the autocross classing I am interested in so unfortunately it's not an option.

Mark
Pardon my ignorance of AutoX classing, but could you just pick up an OEM LSD from someone who upgraded theirs and put it in your base? It might take a little bit of time and patience but I'd imagine you could get one very cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainei View Post
Yes, most people dont use the back seats 95% of the time. It's the 5% where you do need it that really annoys people.
I'll take the 5% annoyance so I can drive a better car the other 95%, but that's just me. If you have easy access to other vehicles (spouse, roommate, etc) then it's less of a problem. Or you could just get less needy friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Depends where/how you drive. And whether or not you are pissing off the people behind you, personally I couldn't give a flying fuck as $167 and 3 points is not worth appeasing the d-bag tailgating me but isn't smart enough to pass...

Personally, I've had my fair share of speeding tickets back in my N days - including losing my license - that I drive like a grandpa on the road now. For DD, you don't really need a whole lot of power to keep up with traffic... it's not like we live in Washington state where the highway traffic flow is like 120 km/h. Then again, I've only ever owned "slow" cars so that's just me.
I drive like a normal person but I don't like having to drop gears and take a bit of a run up just to pass someone on the highway or get up a hill. If you only ever drive on <80km/h roads it doesn't matter but on the highway it gets old fast.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #114
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance of AutoX classing, but could you just pick up an OEM LSD from someone who upgraded theirs and put it in your base? It might take a little bit of time and patience but I'd imagine you could get one very cheaply.
It's possible but I would need to do an entire US "Sport Package" conversion, so would need SynchroRev, brakes, in addition to the LSD which would be a really expensive and not-worthwhile conversion. Doesn't really make a ton of sense but that's how the rules work.

Mark
Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #115

Quote:
I'll take the 5% annoyance so I can drive a better car the other 95%, but that's just me. If you have easy access to other vehicles (spouse, roommate, etc) then it's less of a problem. Or you could just get less needy friends
yeah, why would you spend extra money or sacrifice what you really wanted just so that you can be a designated driver for your friends?

I know he's doing a favor for his friends by purchasing specifically to drive them around, but they can probably get a ride with somebody else or take a cab, which sure to be cheaper than buying a 4 door sedan.
If you're trying to win popularity by driving people around, sorry but that's not gonna happen. I would not want to be the one making a huge purchase and paying gas and all that to drive friends around.
If I wanna 370Z, I want a 370Z. Not 4 door sedans like Altima and Accord, or even Mustang and Camaro for that matter.
If I was rich and want a Ferrari, I'd get a Ferrari, not Mercedes S Class or Porsche Panamera.

On special occasion when you really need to haul people around, you can rent a car or use car share services.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #116
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

It's annoying for those unplanned times the extra seats would be so convenient - and it has nothing to do with driving friends around regularly - you could have family fly in or just want to go for a simple dinner with your family/friends in 1 car so it's more of a in the moment kind of thing.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 04-12-2015 at 01:42 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #117
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
It's annoying for those unplanned times the extra seats would be so convenient - and it has nothing to do with driving friends around regularly - you could have family fly in or just want to go for a simple dinner with your family/friends in 1 car so it's more of a in the moment kind of thing.
lol, that comment reminded me of this video matt farah made..

Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Again, we're humans and we all have brains. I'm sure we can come up with different solution.

Your family is visiting? Tell them to take Skytrain or use public transit. If that's not an option they can always take a cab. I see lots of cabs lined up at Airport.

You wanna go out for dinner with friends? Oh fuck just use 2 cars instead of 1, what's the big deal if you had to do it occasionally. You only hang out with friend who do not own a car? Then just tip in and use a cab. Chances are, your friend might own an SUV or something so you can get on their vehicle.
Either way, it's much cheaper than buying a car.

It's definitely a trade off, but I would be so much happier with Porsche 911, Acura NSX, Ferrari 360 than some 4 door sedan or something with lots of seats just so that you can haul your friends around every once in a while.

What you're telling me is that just because not having extra seats is going to cause you a mild inconvenience, you would rather spend your hard earned money(we're talking about multi thousand $) on a car something you don't even wanna drive.

Seriously, we're all spoiled in this era to the point we can't even put up with mild inconvenience of taking cab or transit so you would give up a car that you wanted and buy a vehicle that makes you a designated driver. Even in BC we have lots of people, families, single mom/dad, students, and all the other people without a car and they're living fine. You only have a 2 seater sportscar? Wow, what a big deal.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #119

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
why is 4 vs 2 seats even being debated...I'm sure 95% of the owners of 2-seat sports cars has access to another car/truck that can haul more stuff/butts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #120
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I sometimes regret getting a 4 door sedan because people always ask you for rides. Its so annoying, I wish I got a 2 door coupe which will be my next car. We also have a cheap POS caravan for the very rare occasion of driving relatives around. 90% of the time I drive alone anyways.
bomiheko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #121
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^you should also get yourself some new friends/acquaintances..sounds like the ones you have are pretty bunk if they're always asking for rides
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomiheko View Post
I sometimes regret getting a 4 door sedan because people always ask you for rides. Its so annoying, I wish I got a 2 door coupe which will be my next car. We also have a cheap POS caravan for the very rare occasion of driving relatives around. 90% of the time I drive alone anyways.
Yeah, imagine this scenario.
You met this hot girl at a party and she ask you for a ride. You're thinking "yes!" because it'll be your opportunity to be just you and her for a while and get to know eachother, talk, flirt or whatever.
Now this dude at party comes and "hey man, can I get a ride too?" and you can't really say no because you would look like an ass if you drive a 5 seater sedan, plus your intention will be very clear too.
Whereas if you have a 2 seater sportscar you have a pretty legitimate reason to say no.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #123

^ this kind scenario happens all the time.

However the following could be the case too;

You met this group of 7 hot chicks at a party and they ask you for a ride. You only have a 2 seater sportscar so you have to tell them you can only drive one of them.
And here's this dude comes and "hey ladies! I got a Cadillac Escalade I can take all of you." So this dude takes all the ladies and you have no ladies.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #124

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
moral of the story...buy an 8-seater even if you're browsing a thread about 370z
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #125

btw I was using this "picking up ladies" examples because I believe that's what most of you are/might be thinking. Let's face it seriously, who would spend huge chunk of hard earned money just to pick up your family from airport every once in a while? It's called a cab. And to drive your friends around? WTF?

so here's the link for you: Top 10 Chick Magnet Cars & Trucks Under $40,000 - Redline360