REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #51
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
^ I am willing to bet that the 17 yr old passenger is his gf? I hope she turns out ok if not what a burden to have for this 18yr kid for this rest of his live
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #52
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I find it amusing how an18 yr old, driving recklessly, and likely killing his passenger, or at best ruining their health for the rest of their life, is referred to as a 'kid' and 'child' by both the media and members on here...yet if the same 'kid' had committed any other crime with the same result for the 17yr old he'd be a 'grown man' and should be put to death

come on ppl! luckily he didn't get any bystanders injured but the asshole is still a stupid asshole 180+ in the rain?

and if he came out uninjured why did it take 1+hr for emergency services? what was he doing during all that time
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #53

17 year old kid that kill or does other heinous crime probabaly went through a lot in his life already does he could be consider an adult.

Here is a 17 year old that got given a very expensive toy which he proceed to hurt someone with it. In all sense he is probabably babied from the moment he is born and have no taste any hardship for 17 years. So he is a kid still through and through. Having expensive toys that only an adult should be able to afford does not make him an adult, experience does
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
17 year old kid that kill or does other heinous crime probabaly went through a lot in his life already does he could be consider an adult.

Here is a 17 year old that got given a very expensive toy which he proceed to hurt someone with it. In all sense he is probabably babied from the moment he is born and have no taste any hardship for 17 years. So he is a kid still through and through. Having expensive toys that only an adult should be able to afford does not make him an adult, experience does
Parents should take the full blame here imo.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #55
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I hope the engine is still good.

Looking forward to seeing multicartural do an engine swap into his E36.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #56
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Let's be honest guys, the HP/age restriction never works because (in one way or the other) this is a CAR-MODDING forum. People will modify their cars

You guys think ICBC is going to dyno every single car to enforce this?
Yea right, the extent of the "mods" most of these immature kids is plasti-dipping or vinyl wrapping.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #57
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Dumb fking kid and his parents.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #58
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I hope the engine is still good.

Looking forward to seeing multicartural do an engine swap into his E36.
fuck you heartless hipster

trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #59
I STILL don't get it

I agree with others that the power of a vehicle versus their experience handling such a vehicle is a major contributing factor in circumstance like this.

One thing worth mentioning is driving a vehicle on public road is not a right but a privilege. You are not entitled to drive a car, you have to prove you are both physically and mentally capable of doing so. Vancouver is a very unique space where the ratio of inexperienced drivers with extremely high hp cars is much higher per capita than most places in the world. Add lots of rain to that equation and you have a genuine recipe for disaster.

Solution? Hard to say definitively but if I were in charge I would implement a licensing system similar to Germany. Here are the bullets:
  • two-stage test, the theory test and road test. Before being allowed to take these tests an eye-exam must have been performed and a first-aid course (usually lasts 8 hours) completed.
  • test includes questions about the mechanical aspects of an automobile, in addition to the usual examination on the rules of the road.
  • If a student wishes to be trained in a car with an automatic transmission and takes the road test on such a car, a remark will be added on the license and the holder may not drive cars with a manual transmission. A test taken on a manual transmission car automatically qualifies for driving automatic transmission cars though.
  • There are limits on how often and in which intervals failed tests can be repeated.
  • Obligatory lessons include a minimum number of lessons each driving on the Autobahn, outside urban areas, and in the dark.
  • costs over $2000, after a minimum of 25-45 hours of professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory

The exuberant cost is certainly a point of contention that I'm not sure I agree with. While it will certainly make people think twice about fucking around, I think that number is way too high for the avg Joe/Jane. Conversely, the affluent can afford throw that kind of money around without concern.

I'd add to that:
  • Obligatory defensive driving course for Novice drivers
  • Obligatory advanced vehicle control / collision avoidance course for "higher risk vehicles performance vehicles" a list which is not necessarily defined by hp alone but rather takes weight, performance figures and other such specs into account.

The point is when you've been brought up by mommy and daddy with a sense of entitlement, little to no defensive/evasive driver training, and no sense of fear that lasts only during youth - I think it's safe to say one is more likely to drive a 507 hp car irresponsibly.

You can have all the money in the world but if you have to earn the right to drive, chances are you'll respect that privilege. If you've ever driven on EU motorways you'll appreciate how enjoyable driving can be. Not only are the speeds higher but people are focused, maintain their speed in lane and only move over to overtake.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #60
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
I'm amazed by the safety of these high end cars which are usually german or italian. This one, the people managed to survive despite crashing at 180km/h

Last night, I was reading the Chinese news, one Ferrari 458 and a lambo gallardo were racing in a tunnel in Beijing, they were driving at least 180km/h as well, managed to crash onto the cement wall, both cars were totaled but both drivers were able to walk away without any problem.

Don't know if lucky or the cars are just that damn safe
Because Engineering.

Things were designed to crumple or break in certain circumstances during a collision which saves lives. If Benz decided to make this car as rigid as possible without spot to crumple, these guys may have a better fate in a large blender.

Can't remember which hypercar had this but there were bolts or connectors that snapped off designed to break the cockpit away from the rest of the car during an accident.

No, not all luck, but R&D to make sure that lives are spared for the price of metal.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #61
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
fuck you heartless hipster

Oh, my bad.

RIP (?)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #62
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if the girl dies I bet you he will flee to China before getting charged
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #63
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
if the girl dies I bet you he will flee to China before getting charged
...in a 2016 c63

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #64
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Ok, give someone a GT2 and a blind corner at night 2000M away then give someone an Accord and put them in the same circumstances and we will see which ends with more damage. If you can get faster, in a shorter distance, you will crash going faster. Crashing faster means more inertia, which means more energy transfer, which means more damage. Its not rocket surgery. Regardless, I don't know why anyone would argue against stricter license testing, wether it be for people with high powered cars, or just everyone.
oh fuck it's all about the driver

Put those kids in less expensive car, Accord, Mustang, whatever.
Those cars have less skidpad and stability control so they will lose outta control before reaching 180km/h around the corner. They don't have Brembo brakes with Pirelli P Zero.

Why are we even talking about how fast we can reach 180km/h? High end cars nowadays are made to go 300km/h or around there, it's up to the driver to make that decision.

We should give kids minivans or Japanese kei cars for the sake of safety if that's the concern.
Or maybe limit all the cars to 100hp by law, because that's all we need in real life to get the car moving. No need for 600hp V12 or whatever.

However according to Japanese government, limiting horsepower will contribute nothing to the safety.

Try give the kid this car and see if he will start driving safely.
I bet you he will just be driving like a complete moron like he did with the Mercedes. Don't blame on the car.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
yeah I agree with above post about our licensing regulations.

ICBC(or Canada) does not take driving seriously. At least compare to Japan and Germany.

In Japan for example, you MUST be trained by a qualified instructor from government. They even have their own designated training track with traffic lights, lanes, etc. to simulate real life driving situations.

I know that a lot of Japanese parents get surprised when ICBC tell them "you can just ask your buddy to teach you on the road, as long as he's 25 years old" and that completely blows their mind.

Same as in Germany, although I'm not familiar with the whole process, they do have very tough training as well.

The cost to obtain driver's license in Japan is approx $3,000-$4,000. In Germany, I know it's a thousands of $ also.

They also have complete government vehicle inspection. In Japan and Germany have this "Certificate of Roadworthiness" and that must be obtained periodically. The inspection is typically $2,000-$3,000 depending on the vehicle.

In Canada, you can buy a $500 beater off Craigslist and fix it up with your friends that aren't even mechanic. Quite scary thought for people from other country who have the tough laws.
Also most JDM vehicles that are imported into Canada are vehicles that failed government inspections.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #66
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
^foe a street bike most accident involve only injuring the rider and maybe his passenger. The chance of killing an innocent on a street bike is slim to non where as with powerful car one can do a lot of dmage before the vehicle comes to a full stop.

Personal safety vs public safety
That's very false, you still have 600+ lbs of metal and meat carrying momentum, not as much as a car but still capable of doing a lot of damage. Hit a pedestrian or t-bone a car at speed and you'll likely kill them (and yes, it does happen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Solution? Hard to say definitively but if I were in charge I would implement a licensing system similar to Germany. Here are the bullets:
I like the system that I believe the Swedes have, where the practical portion is in multiple parts, several of which are on adverse conditions. If my memory serves there's even a portion where you need to be able to recover from a skid in the wet around a corner.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #67
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

I like the system that I believe the Swedes have, where the practical portion is in multiple parts, several of which are on adverse conditions. If my memory serves there's even a portion where you need to be able to recover from a skid in the wet around a corner.
A lot of the Nordic countries have this kind of program. The lessons are very strict, and a part of their youth driver education programs is driving at night in the snow on a private winding road to teach proper car control. Most of the time the cars are older RWD Volvos as well.

Of course to instill a similar program here would catch the ire of enthusiasts and "rights activists" alike...although a stricter program would have stopped idiocy like this and many others and tighter DUI restrictions to stop cases like that woman who was in the news recently for having nineteen DUI's and getting zero jail time. Of course, money talks.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #68
I STILL don't get it

first and foremost, for any licensing system to work they need to make sure people can't be bribed

It would be pretty awesome if they taught proper vehicle control like some of these places you guys mention. I remember watching something on YouTube with - Idris Elba: King of Speed. He ways learning to rally in Finland. I remember all the youths in the town were brought up riding small trail bikes as it helps develop their skill set especially progressing to a rwd vehicle in dirt and snow. It was almost like a right of passage and everyone drives old piece of shit cars and race each other on the weekend around a dirt track....kids around 13 years old and such. Kids with better skills than most adults.

Could you imagine that segment of the test, if we had something similar?
"Scandinavian flick - pass."
"Lift off - pass."
"I had to deduct points on your power oversteer...you need to stay on the throttle longer. Keep practicing."
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #69
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

no amount of driver training will save you from stupidity

common sense can't be taught
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #70
I am Hook'd on RS

In my fantasy world, I would implement a driving test where after you complete your standard road test, you would have to set a lap time with a standard car, ie corolla/civic.

If you can reach a certain time, you would have to know how to control a car at the limit, or at least realize that cars have limits.....
Rainei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #71
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
dibs on the brakes
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #72
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Doesn't GM have the teen driver mode in their car? I'm surprised that the German brands don't have this feature. That or reckless speeding teens aren't as big of an issue there.
its cause getting a license in europe is way more harder compared to here, their insurance are way more expensive as a teen, so no way they can afford insurance for a AMG C63 at 18 unless going on their parent's insurance... speed cameras are basically everywhere and police actually do their jobs...
95 AE101L -sold-
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #73
RS controls my life!

i got no care in the world for fuck bag drunk drivers and speeders. They can kill themselves instead of bystanders. so many close calls driving home from work. Crazy guy other night appears in my rear view out of nowhere on highway when it was nearly empty few secs earlier flashing hi beams(i am in slow lane) he tailgates, then cuts off car beside me and back in front. i assume he was traveling close to 200 km/h he was gone just like that. Looked like he almost lost control in his corvette or mustang.

Late night weekends I am extra careful. There are so many red light runners, and I am guessing buzzed or drunk. Happened a few times already on 41st/knight. If there's a truck beside me obstructing my view, I am never first to leave off the line if light turns green.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #74
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

hmm...I think a higher level of driving may promote the mentality of "hey, I can still control this at high speed, so therefore i'm better and I can be more reckless."

We as human are fucking retarded. We learn from mistakes. We learn from accidents. We don't learn on "knowing" our abilities. No amount of education can stop these foolish kids from doing what they did.

I just hope, the injured can quickly recover, and the driver learn to stop speeding on the street from now on.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #75
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,819 Times in 2,505 Posts
i dunno guys, hard to picture this happening in a 95 corolla

but then again you have that 1 video (can't find it now ) of that acura EL swerving and crashing in to a knight street meridian

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

Last edited by GLOW; 04-14-2015 at 07:56 AM.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: