REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #76
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Horrible stuff. Irresponsible parents for giving a child a car like that. Nothing can be done about that though as it's all about status. Irresponsible driver for going that fast on any public road, let alone Marine Drive.

Better/stricter licensing process needs to happen with ICBC. R.Mutt nailed it with Germany. I've always believed that a proper licensing process would easily reduce accidents. Unfortunately money rules and without rich parents buying high end cars for kids the economy suffers. Kinda kidding but not really.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #77
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
I agree that driver licensing in BC is too easy.

But you know what is absolutely fucking ridiculous?

Thousands of Richmond drivers could be on the road illegally due to ICBC-RCMP disagreement about Chinese licences

The fact that ICBC allows questionable (read: fake) Chinese drivers licenses to be valid and lets these same people - many of whom DO NOT KNOW how to drive a motor vehicle - register and insure a car under this same fake ass license. Which basically means that there are a ton of people in the Lower Mainland who legitly don't know how to drive and have never been tested for their driving. And to add insult to injury, they have told the Richmond RCMP to essentially stop doing their job and assume all Chinese DL's are authentic, even when Richmond RCMP recognized that it was a big problem and asked ICBC to do something about it.

IMO that is the real problem. Corruption in our system that shows ICBC does not care about driver safety or driver education, only the bottom line. If we forced everybody staying in Canada for more than X amount of months - easy to do if ICBC can access CBSA/Immigration data - they should have to take the Class 5 road test here in order to prove that they can drive. Plain and simple. None of this "equivalency" BS unless the police here can determine the legitimacy of said license.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
I agree that driver licensing in BC is too easy.

But you know what is absolutely fucking ridiculous?

Thousands of Richmond drivers could be on the road illegally due to ICBC-RCMP disagreement about Chinese licences

The fact that ICBC allows questionable (read: fake) Chinese drivers licenses to be valid and lets these same people - many of whom DO NOT KNOW how to drive a motor vehicle - register and insure a car under this same fake ass license. Which basically means that there are a ton of people in the Lower Mainland who legitly don't know how to drive and have never been tested for their driving. And to add insult to injury, they have told the Richmond RCMP to essentially stop doing their job and assume all Chinese DL's are authentic, even when Richmond RCMP recognized that it was a big problem and asked ICBC to do something about it.

IMO that is the real problem. Corruption in our system that shows ICBC does not care about driver safety or driver education, only the bottom line. If we forced everybody staying in Canada for more than X amount of months - easy to do if ICBC can access CBSA/Immigration data - they should have to take the Class 5 road test here in order to prove that they can drive. Plain and simple. None of this "equivalency" BS unless the police here can determine the legitimacy of said license.
So it's a battle between ICBC(Provincial Government) and RCMP(Federal Government)
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #79
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
If we forced everybody staying in Canada for more than X amount of months - easy to do if ICBC can access CBSA/Immigration data - they should have to take the Class 5 road test here in order to prove that they can drive. Plain and simple. None of this "equivalency" BS unless the police here can determine the legitimacy of said license.
Agreed, I don't really give a fuck if they have a legitimate license where they come from, wherever they learned to drive is still different from Canada. Anyone here for more than X months or anyone wishing to purchase/insure/be listed as the principal operator of a vehicle should have to pass a class 5 road test. At most having a foreign license should allow them to bypass the L/N process and go straight to a class 5 road test but that's it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #80
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
hmm...I think a higher level of driving may promote the mentality of "hey, I can still control this at high speed, so therefore i'm better and I can be more reckless."

We as human are fucking retarded. We learn from mistakes. We learn from accidents. We don't learn on "knowing" our abilities. No amount of education can stop these foolish kids from doing what they did.

I just hope, the injured can quickly recover, and the driver learn to stop speeding on the street from now on.
this explains that quite well...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #81
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

ICBC is fighting this to the end, they know its wrong and dangerous but because if those china people arent allowed to drive here then ICBC will lose a big chunk of money from their insurance revenue on those mainlander's lambos and ferraris. I agree with everyone else in this thread, where people coming to the lower mainland to stay need to pass the class 5 before anything. The other day in Richmond, I saw some mainlander take a left turn out of a complex and travel into the oncoming lane for at least 10 secs before they knew what was going on.
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #82
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I believe the main reason we cannot have harder licensing tests is because Canada cannot simply rely on other transportation method. We have translink and other public transportation, but they are no way up to the standards of the other countries. This causes a void in which citizens need a way to be able to get to work. Cheapest way so far? By car. Only way we can move onto stricter road tests and such is when we improve our other transportation methods.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #83
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
In all sense he is probabably babied from the moment he is born and have no taste any hardship for 17 years. So he is a kid still through and through. Having expensive toys that only an adult should be able to afford does not make him an adult, experience does
You bring up a good point, and I actually know of a US scenario where the defense based their case on something called, "Affluenza". In other words, the defendant had never been taught right and wrong, nor was he ever disciplined by his parents, so how was he supposed to know not to steal beer, get drunk and high, and kill his friend along with a couple of strangers. He got off, the judge quit, and now the victims families are suing the hell out of the parents. It's a fascinating case.

Ethan Couch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas teenager suffering 'affluenza' avoids jail for second time | US news | The Guardian

The judge herself had sentenced a young black man for doing the same thing a decade earlier. He only killed one person, but he got a dime in a federal pen. Now that's racist justice up in hurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
I believe the main reason we cannot have harder licensing tests is because Canada cannot simply rely on other transportation method.
Good point.
BC is not the lower mainland. Spent the weekend in Kelowna and stopped in Merritt for a bit. If you don't have a car up there, you're screwed. And that's only 3.5 hrs outside of the city. The further north or east you go, the tougher it gets.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #84
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
why keep bad drivers off the road when you can just raise premiums. Bad drivers = good business for ICBC
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #85
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
You bring up a good point, and I actually know of a US scenario where the defense based their case on something called, "Affluenza". In other words, the defendant had never been taught right and wrong, nor was he ever disciplined by his parents, so how was he supposed to know not to steal beer, get drunk and high, and kill his friend along with a couple of strangers. He got off, the judge quit, and now the victims families are suing the hell out of the parents. It's a fascinating case.

Ethan Couch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas teenager suffering 'affluenza' avoids jail for second time | US news | The Guardian
Wow.. very interesting case. I always thought that ignorance wasn't a valid defence..
Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #86
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I had 450hp when I was 18 and no I didn't wrap it around a pole, after that 500hp, and then 700hp etc etc

...Still didn't wrap it around a pole, sure 18 year old's make stupid ass decisions, but its ultimately up to the driver what happens. Blaming the parents for the lack of education is the correct thing to do, not saying that they should have never bought the car for them blah blah. I'm sure this post will get some backlash, but the only reason I'm alive and thought twice about doing 180 in a residential area was from what my father taught me, and about just how quickly things can go wrong and just how quickly it'll kill me.

When you learn with 450HP, RWD, little to no driver aids, you learn to respect the machine.

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #87
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Ok, give someone a GT2 and a blind corner at night 2000M away then give someone an Accord and put them in the same circumstances and we will see which ends with more damage. If you can get faster, in a shorter distance, you will crash going faster. Crashing faster means more inertia, which means more energy transfer, which means more damage. Its not rocket surgery. Regardless, I don't know why anyone would argue against stricter license testing, wether it be for people with high powered cars, or just everyone.
I complete agree. My first car was a civic and I did some dumb shit but I couldn't/didn't go fast enough to not recover. My car now has over double the power and I have much more respect for the road and my vehicle.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #88
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Wow.. very interesting case. I always thought that ignorance wasn't a valid defence..
People with mental disorders do get away with criminal responsibility or jail time depending on the situation.

:A person is not criminally responsible if he has a mental disorder that makes him unable to judge the nature or quality of the criminal act or to understand that the act was wrong at the time it was committed.: (Section 16, Canadian Criminal Code).
When a person suffering from a mental disorder commits an offence - Mental Health A-Z - Douglas Mental Health University Institute
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #89

Quote:
I believe the main reason we cannot have harder licensing tests is because Canada cannot simply rely on other transportation method. We have translink and other public transportation, but they are no way up to the standards of the other countries. This causes a void in which citizens need a way to be able to get to work. Cheapest way so far? By car. Only way we can move onto stricter road tests and such is when we improve our other transportation methods.
Or maybe that should be more incentive to not be a shit driver. I get that places with stricter licensing laws may have better public transit in some areas, but not all areas will be more viable than in Canada.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #90
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Goodluck to the passenger. She will have a tough road ahead.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #91
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
I think we should clarify:

There were TWO accidents on SW Marine that night.

1: C63, destroyed, 18 y/o male driver, 17 y/o male passenger - both in critical condition.
2: Red Mustang, doesn't look destroyed, asian male driver, asian female passenger. Both aren't hurt as badly.

Stop mixing up the two incidents.

Edit: News video. lol @ reaction of Mustang driver...I wonder what the police told him.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/speedometer-stu...shes-1.2323848

Last edited by inv4zn; 04-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #92
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
^

Lol @ Ford Mustang been an "expensive" car.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #93
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

People need to slow down on SW Marine, especially with all those curves and uneven pavement. I get tailgated all the time. I see the looks of their faces when they pass me and it looks like they're clueless of the speed limits.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #94
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
IMO this should be more of a deterrent to not be a fucking idiot.

Lose your license, can't get a good job, end up working at the Tim Hortons across the street... sounds fair to me. I lost my license for 4 months and it was horrible, it took literally 2x the time to get anywhere and I hated having to bum rides from my friends or my parents all of the time (and paying them for gas too, lol). That was nearly 4 years ago but I still drive like a grandma (or so my dad says). It was a great deterrent for me, why shouldn't it work for anyone else?
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #95
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
fuck, while i was on my lunch break at work today i saw 3 newer mustangs racing each other down 128st in surrey. they were easily going 100km/h and were at WOT. people are fucked.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #96
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
New cars are insanely fast stock, that is part of the problem

People crash and die much less than they did a few decades ago per capita, right?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #97
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
IMO this should be more of a deterrent to not be a fucking idiot.

Lose your license, can't get a good job, end up working at the Tim Hortons across the street... sounds fair to me. I lost my license for 4 months and it was horrible, it took literally 2x the time to get anywhere and I hated having to bum rides from my friends or my parents all of the time (and paying them for gas too, lol). That was nearly 4 years ago but I still drive like a grandma (or so my dad says). It was a great deterrent for me, why shouldn't it work for anyone else?

I agree that suspensions are rightfully enforced. However I think you are missing my point. I'm referring to to new drivers obtaining lthe driver icense. As oringalhypa pointed out, if you live in Kelowna you will have a hard time going anywhere without a car. Perhaps instead of enforcing a really strict driving test for new drivers, they should enforce a strict driving test for those who have consistently received speeding tickets or have shown to be dangerous drivers.

imo it doesn't matter what car you're gonna drive. If you're an idiot you're gonna crash the car and somebody is going to get hurt no matter if it's a civic or a mercedes.

Also, icbc did provide stricter driving tests. back when I was a kid I remember teenagers just needed a knowledge test to start driving.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 AM   #98
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Some people here need a lesson in reading comprehension. There is no evidence that the car was travelling at 180 km/h, yet people here repeat it as if it is a fact.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #99

^ regardless, if you end up 2m up a tree I think we can all agree the driver was going way too fast for that road.

Quote:
As oringalhypa pointed out, if you live in Kelowna you will have a hard time going anywhere without a car.
If you live in a decently central area, not really. If you live in the boonies sure, but not much worse than the boonies anywhere else.

Quote:
Perhaps instead of enforcing a really strict driving test for new drivers, they should enforce a strict driving test for those who have consistently received speeding tickets or have shown to be dangerous drivers.
The only problem is you're only doing it after the fact. Giving stricter testing to someone only after they've been convicted of driving dangerously doesn't help people like the passenger in that Merc.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #100
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I think that this is really the only defense you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
People crash and die much less than they did a few decades ago per capita, right?
According the Wiki in the US, the yanks are dying at a rate of 10.3 deaths per 100,000 people. The worst was in the late 60's with an average of 25/100k. You can see the drop in deaths in 1974 when it went from 25, to 21/100k in a year. Larger bumpers, and much less powerful engines helped to keep people alive. Also, GM introduced the first airbags as an option in the Cadillac line in 1974. These days it's those same airbags combined with crumple zones and seat belts that are keeping people alive. I'm sure medical advancements have helped too.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote