REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Telus Charging Internet Usage at Home (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703116-telus-charging-internet-usage-home.html)

RickyTan3 04-28-2015 10:40 PM

Telus Charging Internet Usage at Home

Just got an email.

WTF SERIOUSLY?

I have been with telus about 10 years and now they start charging for data usage, wtf is this a cell phone plan?

and its capped at 250gb?

Anyone else have this?

Soundy 04-28-2015 10:42 PM

Sure it's not a scam email?

Mr.HappySilp 04-28-2015 10:48 PM

lol is been on the news for months now. Oh and there HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A USAGE CAP!

Now it is up to the ISP if they have to enforce or not. You can either use your internet within the cap, pay for higher package with more bandwidth or use techsavy which is unlimited but is really slow.

hchang 04-28-2015 10:57 PM

Yeah I just got that email today too

My billing cycle starts every 17th and apparently I've already used more than half of my alloted data

Pretty bs, I've always gone over every month but never had to pay extra.

Shaw has a pretty good promotion going right now if I end up being charged for over usage this month I'm switching to Shaw

Presto 04-28-2015 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you going over your limit regularly? I just checked mine, and I've been over for the last 7 out 8 months. There was a huge spike last billing cycle, but there was no extra charge for that, or any other time. How does your usage compare, OP?

nabs 04-28-2015 11:26 PM

im at 411 gb average it said in the letter we got in the mail. in december we were upto 490 gb. Were just gonna opt for the 15 dollar a month unlimited with each person contributing an extra 5 bucks a month towards the internet.

We have 8 consistent users and most of us stream all our tv shows and movies on a daily basis.

twitchyzero 04-28-2015 11:27 PM

where does it say extra $15? i thought it was extra 30/mo to get out of UBB?

nabs 04-28-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8630892)
there's a huge thread in the computer forum
if you wanna keep going overlimit without getting raped you have to pay an extra 30/mo or switch

If you subscribe to TTV its only extra 15 a month.

corollagtSr5 04-28-2015 11:40 PM

"Starting June 1, 2015, when you exceed your monthly data allowance, TELUS will provide you with additional data buckets of 50 GB as needed. The first bucket is $5 and each bucket after that is $10.

The unused portion of your last additional data bucket will expire at the end of your billing cycle. Your data usage will be reset to zero and your regular monthly data allowance will apply." Quoted from my email from telus. If you have optik tv it's only 15 dollars to add unlimited data and 30 dollars if you don't have optik.

melloman 04-29-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 8630900)
"Starting June 1, 2015, when you exceed your monthly data allowance, TELUS will provide you with additional data buckets of 50 GB as needed. The first bucket is $5 and each bucket after that is $10.

The unused portion of your last additional data bucket will expire at the end of your billing cycle. Your data usage will be reset to zero and your regular monthly data allowance will apply." Quoted from my email from telus. If you have optik tv it's only 15 dollars to add unlimited data and 30 dollars if you don't have optik.

So if you buy 2 buckets, (100gb) and you only use 80gb, the other 20gb is scrapped.

:fuckthatshit: Another reason I'll never go to Telus. :thumbsup:

heleu 04-29-2015 07:31 AM

They've been doing this for a while, I find they just look the other way if you're not always over.

My parents had a exchange student renting a room from them, and their internet usuage went from 100GB/month to 1000GB/month. They got a warning message right after that. lol.

jasonturbo 04-29-2015 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8630937)
So if you buy 2 buckets, (100gb) and you only use 80gb, the other 20gb is scrapped.

Shaw is going to be rolling this out as well.

EuterVanWasser 04-29-2015 07:51 AM

Captain Obvious speaking here: every ISP/Cable provider in NA is moving this way to capture lost revenues on television subscriptions due to the proliferation of streaming content.

If anything, I'm trying to find a good deal now to lock in to unlimited content before they crank up prices even further.

Mr.HappySilp 04-29-2015 07:58 AM

Broadband & High Speed Internet plans | Shaw.ca

High Speed Internet service providers BC, Alberta | TELUS.com
TELUS Unlimited Internet Data Plan | Add-ons | TELUS.com
You can get unlimited internet for extra $15 as long as you have TV with them so is not so bad

TekSavvy - Cable
Internet | Novus

Pretty much all the ISP in Vancouver have a cap of some sort......

l2_narain 04-29-2015 09:57 AM

I signed up my parents account and my own account on 2 different e-mails. I got a e-mail for my parents place..:\

AzNightmare 04-29-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8630937)

You've misunderstood the concept of these buckets. Think of them as a fine for going over. You don't want these buckets, nor are they for sale.

Once you go over, instead of Telus charging by the $/GB, they just give you a "bucket" of additional 50 GB for $5. This is also why the "bucket" is not carried over to your next billing cycle. You're not buying more GB for $5. You're being penalized $5, and the additional 50 GB is just a benchmark of your new limit before you get penalized again.

-----------------

I don't see a problem with this. While many people are upset about these overage charges and threatening to switch providers, it's fair and it makes sense. Why would someone paying less than me get just as much GB as me? And why would I get just as much as someone paying more? Every provider has their internet usage limits advertised before you sign up, so it's not like the limit is some fine-print scam.

It's more like internet limit is finally being enforced, after everyone has been accustomed to abusing it in the past.

IMO, Being docked only $5 for an additional 50 GB to play with is a good deal. If people are still going over 50+ GB on a regular basis, then they should just upgrade to a plan that offers a higher internet limit.

melloman 04-29-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8630989)
It's more like internet limit is finally being enforced, after everyone has been accustomed to abusing it in the past.

IMO, Being docked only $5 for an additional 50 GB to play with is a good deal. If people are still going over 50+ GB on a regular basis, then they should just upgrade to a plan that offers a higher internet limit.

Sugar coating it...

How about we look at it like: ISP's now have the technology to accurately track your data usage, and have randomly thought up a "fair" number per GB to charge you.

It's not like they don't make enough money off you to begin with, if they were actually struggling they would've implemented the overage-charges a long time ago..

They just want more money.

AzNightmare 04-29-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8631034)
Sugar coating it...

How about we look at it like: ISP's now have the technology to accurately track your data usage, and have randomly thought up a "fair" number per GB to charge you.

It's not like they don't make enough money off you to begin with, if they were actually struggling they would've implemented the overage-charges a long time ago..

Are you referring to the price/GB on the plans or about the overage fee of the "bucket" $5/50GB ratio?

Let me ask you this. How much internet did you sign up for?
And are you exceeding that amount? It's really a black and white question here.

Maybe you can debate about the morale of them wanting more money or not, but isn't this how all successful businesses are run? The fact is, the internet limit was never a hidden fact. It's just that now it's being enforced, that's why people are upset. What did you think the internet limit were for??

Then again, I know exactly how much I need per billing cycle, and I pay for what I need and nothing more. So maybe that's why I'm not complaining.

I mean, I'm not using 400 GB a month on a 150 GB plan, and then complaining. :derp:
I must be missing something, but I don't understand why people are mad about not getting what they didn't pay for.

Mr.Jay 04-29-2015 12:16 PM

Max overcharge bill is also limited to $75 bucks.

I got students at my house so my monthly is over 600GB last time I check my usage so for $15 extra isnt that bad actually

vixroar 04-29-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8630943)
Shaw is going to be rolling this out as well.

Source?

willystyle 04-29-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8630952)
Broadband & High Speed Internet plans | Shaw.ca

High Speed Internet service providers BC, Alberta | TELUS.com
TELUS Unlimited Internet Data Plan | Add-ons | TELUS.com
You can get unlimited internet for extra $15 as long as you have TV with them so is not so bad

TekSavvy - Cable
Internet | Novus

Pretty much all the ISP in Vancouver have a cap of some sort......

CIK Telecom, Teksavvy, Distributel, and Lightspeed all offer unlimited internet packages at low prices (compared to Telus and Shaw). You guys just haven't looked hard enough. It will virtually be the same speeds as they all piggyback off of Telus and Shaw.

Mr.HappySilp 04-29-2015 01:54 PM

^^ just check techsavvy
They do have a usage system for the Cable50 84.95 it comes with a usage of 300GB per month. Unlimited Usage between 2am and 8am

For our cable customers we are offering unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. This allows our customers to download large items free of charge during this time period. Items downloaded during this time do not count toward your Bandwidth limit.

So they do have a limit as well.

A lot of these unlimited ISP works like Wind mobile. Is unlimited but once you hit a hard limit your speed will get reduce.
Also they all seem to have an activation fee and you have to buy the modem. So there is a up front cost and they aren't in every part of town.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-29-2015 02:06 PM

can i ask what the fuck you guys are downloading to use up 200-500gigs a month?

TOPEC 04-29-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8631034)
Sugar coating it...

ISPs ALWAYS had the ability to track data usage, it was never strictly enforced cus most of the customers never really go over their data cap. it wasnt until the past few years where internet streaming service has become more and more popular, ppl r starting to use up more and more data. instead of ISPs just providing faster and faster, they should also increase data caps. look at ISPs out east, many of them offers fast speeds with unlimited data.

do u all get pissy for going over ur monthly cell phone minutes as well?! same idea.

rageguy 04-29-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8631081)
can i ask what the fuck you guys are downloading to use up 200-500gigs a month?

I live in a household with 6 people. Each has a computer and a smartphone, and some have a tablet too. I have 250GB per month from Telus.

250GB divided by 6 people, divided by 30 days in a month = 1.4GB per day per person

Now let's look at 1 person. This person games, streams on YouTube, maybe listen to SoundCloud here and there, and may pirate 1 or 2 movies a month. That person has an iPhone, goes on SnapChat, Instagram and so on. Downloads a few games on the App Store or iTunes Store. This is just 1 person. What about the other 5? Now you see how 250GB is inadequate.