REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Classic Car Adventures - Hagerty Spring Thaw (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703168-classic-car-adventures-hagerty-spring-thaw.html)

CCA-Dave 05-01-2015 12:59 PM

Classic Car Adventures - Hagerty Spring Thaw

I've been MIA from here for a week or two, as work as been incredibly busy. Just finished our seventh annual Hagerty Spring Thaw classic car adventure, and I'm leaving for Colorado soon for the first annual Silver Summit adventure. If you happened to be on the Sea to Sky last Sunday, you may have seen some of our classic car friends heading home from the Thaw. We ended up oversold with 79 cars, everything ranging from Saab 850 two strokes up to Bentley 3 1/2 litres and an Alfa Romeo Prototype. 1300km in three days, with Day one having some of the worst weather we've ever had on an event.

But, for any of you who have asked what "CCA-Dave" means...this is what I do: Petrolicious Article Introducing Classic Car Adventures, Vancouver Sun article on this year's Hagerty Spring Thaw.

And some photos from this year:
http://www.classiccaradventures.com/...20-600x400.jpg http://www.classiccaradventures.com/...09-600x400.jpg

http://www.classiccaradventures.com/...-7-600x400.jpg http://www.classiccaradventures.com/...-6-600x400.jpg

http://www.classiccaradventures.com/...-2-600x400.jpg

-Dave

imp>dom 05-01-2015 11:05 PM

I WAS looking for this thanks!

320icar 05-01-2015 11:21 PM

I remember when I tagged along with Bruce years ago as his co driver (the year your beetle blew up). It was an amazing time.

Hey, no crazy old guy with crazy old Aston Martin this year?

TouringTeg 05-02-2015 09:39 AM

Looks like a fantastic event! I can really respect the work that goes into planning and pulling off an event like this.

Too bad my 993 isn't a bit older as I would love to attend one of these one day.

CCA-Dave 05-02-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8632101)
I remember when I tagged along with Bruce years ago as his co driver (the year your beetle blew up). It was an amazing time.

Hey, no crazy old guy with crazy old Aston Martin this year?

Ahhh yes, 2010. You know the events are unique when the organizer blows up a motor :P

Lol, I dunno if Dave is crazy, but his hair definitely gives him the mad scientist look. He brought his 3 1/2 Litre Bentley out this year. Such a fantastic car...

IMASA 05-02-2015 10:57 AM

Pretty cool, makes me want to go find a car that would allow me to participate.
BTW, I think your Super Beetle was on Jalopnik last week.

Five Reasons To Drive A "Super" Beetle

CCA-Dave 05-02-2015 11:05 AM

It was indeed!

Just took it down the sea to sky this morning for Carbs and Coffee...man I love that car.

underscore 05-02-2015 11:41 AM

So cool! Looks like everyone had a blast.

Iron Chef 05-03-2015 06:43 AM

What route did u take for the event? I'm always looking for good driving roads

CCA-Dave 05-03-2015 12:16 PM

I'm pretty protective and secretive about our routes. Not because I want to be a jerk, but because we've put a lot of time and effort into the routes and building the events to what they've become. We've spent seven years to become "the guys" who know all the best roads in BC, and I'm quite fearful of just posting routes or road suggestions online. Unfortunately, it could take just takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone. The Market Crossing meets on Thursday night are a perfect example of that.

Having said that, it's not like the roads we use are private. Finding great driving roads is a matter of buying a map, and spending some time exploring. Now, whether that road is better from one direction or another, on school days or weekends...well, that's the sort of reason I have been able to turn this into a career from a hobby business. You can certainly find online everywhere we've been in the last seven years, but the specific routes we took to get there or the order in which we link roads is something I'll keep secret as long as I can.

-D

hud 91gt 05-03-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8632602)
I'm pretty protective and secretive about our routes. Not because I want to be a jerk, but because we've put a lot of time and effort into the routes and building the events to what they've become. We've spent seven years to become "the guys" who know all the best roads in BC, and I'm quite fearful of just posting routes or road suggestions online. Unfortunately, it could take just takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone. The Market Crossing meets on Thursday night are a perfect example of that.

Having said that, it's not like the roads we use are private. Finding great driving roads is a matter of buying a map, and spending some time exploring. Now, whether that road is better from one direction or another, on school days or weekends...well, that's the sort of reason I have been able to turn this into a career from a hobby business. You can certainly find online everywhere we've been in the last seven years, but the specific routes we took to get there or the order in which we link roads is something I'll keep secret as long as I can.

-D

That was enough to make me want to join next year!

underscore 05-03-2015 03:59 PM

Dave would you ever consider making an event for 20+ year young cars?

CCA-Dave 05-03-2015 04:57 PM

Not the first time we've been asked, and I've definitely considered it. Our "Rush to Gold Bridge" event is open to cars built in 1989 and older, but the event does include some gravel roads/sections.

If we’re talking our current classic car events (i.e. opening Spring Thaw up to 80’s and newer cars), then no. The problem with cars built 1980 and newer, from my perspective, is two fold: 1) There are some truly awful cars. 2) the performance potential is a big concern. On the first point, you could argue (quite validly) that terrible cars really started to be produced in the early to mid seventies. Part of the charm of our events is 'return to yesteryear' where the road and/or parking lot are filled with incredible and awesome cars. Whether it's a '60s beetle with some patina, or the Jag D-Type, it's a truly incredible mix. If I open that up to cars of the 80's, the potential for a disastrous mix is there. Can you imaging a Ford Tempo or Citation parked beside that D-Type? Eek.

The second part, and more important part, is the performance potential. Our events aren't a TSD rally or a bumper-to-bumper cruise. We allow our guests to travel at their own pace through the day, entrusting them to drive responsibly and in a manner which showcases the event positively to the general public. When you're talking 50's and 60's suspension designs, skinny tires and classic motors this is a relatively comfortable thing to do. Truthfully, the later 911's and some of the other performance cars really keep me awake at night until I know the owner/driver well. It's my livelihood I'm trusting them with! Opening up the entry list to later cars just isn't something I'm interested in doing from a stress point of view.

There are some classic cars from the 80’s that should be included, but aren’t under our current rules. A great example might be an Audi original Quattro (Ur-Q), or any street-version Group B car.To get around this, we created "The Delorean Rule". The Delorean Rule states: if you own a DMC-12 and are willing to let Dave drive it for a short period, your entry is automatically accepted. The Delorean rule is open to interpretation for other awesome vehicles you think we should consider. In the past it has been used to enter a Plymouth P50 pickup, a 1952 International Pickup, a Ferrari 308GTS and even a year-2000-something Noble GT.

Now, that of the above is based on opening up our current events to later model vehicles. BUT, that doesn't mean I'm not open to starting an event specifically for later model vehicles. I’ve got a short list of what would be needed to make it happen. The external factors are:

1) Proof there is a market
- Entry fee for an 80s/90s type of event would be in the $600-675 range for a three day weekend, based on two people per car. That would included two nights hotel, dinner for two on both nights, bag of event branded material and possibly a lunch or two. The range is dependent on time of year and whether we do hosted lunch(es). I get one or two inquiries a year from people regarding an 80s/90s event, but people aren’t beating down the door with a list of friends who'd sign up instantly. I'm less passionate about the 80s/90s cars, so I haven't explored it.

2) Title Sponsor / Partner
- We built Classic Car Adventures from the ground up with some risk. We’ve been very lucky to have Hagerty Collector Insurance recognize what we’re doing, and partner with us as title sponsor of the Hagerty Spring Thaw for the last six years. If I’m going to explore a later model event, I’d want to start with a sponsor partnership who benefits from people actually using their classic 80s/90s cars, and who wants to work with us to grow the idea of getting out to drive and enjoy your car.

-Dave

CCA-Dave 05-04-2015 08:45 AM

SUPER stoked to wake up this morning and find Brendan McAleer has written an article on his Spring Thaw experience. If you're still wondering what it's like to be on a Hagerty Spring Thaw for your first year...this is it.

Quote:

This is my father’s 1967 MGB. A particularly good year for the breed, but that’s not what makes it special. Special to me, I mean; this car is not unique because of serial number, or vintage, or provenance, but because it’s been a constant in my life since before I could pronounce the word “car.” Dad’s owned this car for thirty-six years, I’ve ridden in it as an infant, have worked on it with him as a young man, and now I sit at the wheel as a father myself.

We’re at the start of a long journey together, the longest the MGB’s run in more than three decades. The road is perfection. The weather is clearing. We’ve put miles behind us since morning, and our way unfolds out ahead in front of the MGB, waiting to for us to write our story.

Naturally, at this point, the god-damned thing breaks down.
(Hit the link for the rest, and for those of you looking for roads, some good info on where we actually went this year)

Road Trip: The Spring Thaw in My Father?s 1967 MGB - Autos.ca

-Dave

westopher 05-04-2015 09:26 AM

80s/90s events are very exciting to guys like me. As someone who has recently become an old man, I can say that over the next few years something like that will become increasingly appealing to my demographic. It might be a couple years out, but as time goes on, people my age (30) are acquiring the cars that they loved when they were young (80s and 90s cars) and would love doing something like this in our childhood dream cars that more of us can afford as time goes on. A run in 964s, 993s, e30/36 M3s, 348/355s, etc will become increasingly interesting for more people in the near future.

CCA-Dave 05-04-2015 09:38 AM

Thought about it a lot last night, and I'm definitely finding myself more open to it (probably helps that I got the 1990 Coupe Quattro project running). I think, once things slow down for me in June, I'll see if you guys would be down for a beer or two to discuss it. Would be very easy to add it into my 2016 schedule, and I think with a few friends we could stage some photos this summer so I can sell it.

Hmmm...

How did I go from "no" to "very strong maybe" in 24 hrs :P

-Dave

heleu 05-04-2015 10:10 AM

+1 for what Westopher said.

I think if you want to add interest to a "younger" demographic, you'll want to cater to the cars that some of us lusted after when we were growing up.

As much as I like my co-workers 60's Alfa, I relate much more to 80's air cooled Porsches, 90's japanese supercars (NSX, 300ZX, Supra, etc) because that's what I saw when I was in highschool.

If you keep everything to older than 1980, pretty soon, all your members will likely be in their 80s...

Now, just I need to rebuy the 25 year old classic that I sold 5 years ago....

CCA-Dave 05-04-2015 10:33 AM

If I do an event for 80s/90s cars, it will be a standalone event *just* for 80s and 90s cars. There is no need to change the entry on our current events. From the outside it may seem like I'm catering to a rapidly aging group of clients, but it's far from it. Almost half the event is in their late 20's and 30's, and there is a rapidly growing base of 'younger' classic car owners. It's definitely not a grey-hair convention on the Spring Thaw!

underscore 05-04-2015 08:49 PM

I can understand the concern with the demographic currently driving 80's/90's sports cars, although from what I've gathered over the last few years the stereotypical 90's import driving hooligan isn't interested in signing up for anything that isn't a car meet.

SkunkWorks 05-04-2015 10:36 PM

Drat! I remember seeing this event last year and saying I'd love to do it this.

Putting 2016 into my calendar now.

Dave - when does registration for the Spring Thaw normally go live?

Iron Chef 05-05-2015 05:32 AM

getting paid to cruise beautiful bc driving roads with other enthusiast....good business plan

CCA-Dave 05-05-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8633112)
I can understand the concern with the demographic currently driving 80's/90's sports cars, although from what I've gathered over the last few years the stereotypical 90's import driving hooligan isn't interested in signing up for anything that isn't a car meet.

I'm actually in the age demographic for enthusiasts of these cars, I just happened to get into classics thanks to my dad's influence. But yes, for any given age/car demographic I'm going to have a lot of responsible drivers and some who need extra attention. Trust me, some of those elderly gentleman in their 60's classics really know how to make them move! The hooliganism is something I can deal with, it's just whether I'm concerned about 5% of the people on my event, or 85%.

Gears turning...thoughts processing. Probably won't see anything concrete until mid-late summer on this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWorks (Post 8633153)
Drat! I remember seeing this event last year and saying I'd love to do it this.

Putting 2016 into my calendar now.

Dave - when does registration for the Spring Thaw normally go live?

Registration for the Spring Thaw occurs in the first week of January every year. Usually "the first day back at work" is the day the registration opens. It sells out in three days or less, and 'the race' to get entries in is both hilarious and potentially frustrating. The day the entry opens I basically end up having a party in Squamish of all my classic car friends. Coffee, pastries and stories of winter projects is the order of the day. This year I set the entry forms to auto-upload at 2am. For whatever reason, they didn't go live. One entrant actually drove to squamish with his laser printer in the car, knowing they would go live as soon as I was awake and in the office. He was ready the moment they went live.

People who are on the CCA Email list are the only ones who get advanced notice of the date entries will open, so it's pretty important that you register yourself for the BC list.

-Dave

Timpo 05-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8631904)

That 911 isn't THAT classic.

Here are some classic 911s :thumbsup:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/wp-cont...thering-15.jpg
http://911race.jp/bestlap/images/nagashima1.jpg
http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carli.../909225/p2.jpg

CCA-Dave 05-05-2015 09:52 AM

...not sure whether to use the fail button for the first time or...

77civic1200 05-05-2015 09:53 AM

Go fuck yourself Timpo