REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
The other alternative is to simply be smarter about which torrents you get and from what sites. If you grab the biggest torrent from a popular site you're going to be more likely to have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
i mean even if you were to cheap out and not pay $4/mo, and rather go buy coffee and donut with it, just skip one coffee and donut A MONTH. it won't kill you. however, cheaping out $4/mo and risk paying $5k instead, sounds like a no brainer to me.
Is there actually any risk though? Ignoring the doubts about the owner of the content knowing exactly who you are, what is the actual risk of being fined/sued for $5k? I'll pay for something I need, but so far this just sounds like a bunch of fearmongering to stir up VPN business.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
to the guys that got the notice...how soon after you downloaded something did they send the email/notice?

i'm curious about this...lol. I told myself i'd sign up for vpn the day i get one of these notices but i haven't been dling shit lately so i can't justify the costs. That might change when the summer blockbusters come out later on in the year
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Reminder: Sign up here!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Can someone please clarify whether the offence is uploading or downloading or both. I'm wondering if the terminology is being confused.

If someone is dl'ing from a direct host (not torrent) is there actually any violation?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
to the guys that got the notice...how soon after you downloaded something did they send the email/notice?

i'm curious about this...lol. I told myself i'd sign up for vpn the day i get one of these notices but i haven't been dling shit lately so i can't justify the costs. That might change when the summer blockbusters come out later on in the year
I just chekced. Got the notification from my GoT download 1 day after I dl'd it.

Never received another one. This was the leak of episode 1 season 5 so maybe they were sour it got leaked and were going after people for it.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #56
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Can someone please clarify whether the offence is uploading or downloading or both. I'm wondering if the terminology is being confused.
When you are torrenting, you are downloading and uploading concurrently. It's the uploading (aka. hosting) of the content that troubles copyright holders.

Quote:
If someone is dl'ing from a direct host (not torrent) is there actually any violation?
The copyright holder will be going after the host, not the downloader, in this case.

EDIT: Before someone chimes in and say that I can just avoid uploading while torrenting to evade from being sued. In practice, that's not possible. There will always be data leakage (uploaded data) while torrenting.

Last edited by willystyle; 05-27-2015 at 03:03 PM.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #57
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
When you are torrenting, you are downloading and uploading concurrently. It's the uploading (aka. hosting) of the content that troubles copyright holders.

The copyright holder will be going after the host, not the downloader, in this case.

EDIT: Before someone chimes in and say that I can just avoid uploading while torrenting to evade from being sued. In practice, that's not possible. There will always be data leakage (uploaded data) while torrenting.
That's what I thought. Thank you very much for this reply.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #58
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
For those who are savvy.. use a separate (older) computer with VPN always on to do the sharing. If you bind your client to the adapter name eg tun3. The OS will start the VPN when program needs it (much like the old dial up modem do in the past). Most OS still allow you to access the files via LAN. (or just use your neighbors wifi with a spoofed MAC address). You will be surprised how many people thinks they don't need keys with hidden ESSID. Get a few of those and use multicast you can get better bandwidth, especially when some neighbors uses Shaw, Telus and or Novus.

Remember civil trial ie the copyright notices, they don't need to same burden of proof as criminal court.. and the companies often mine other sites for info. You said you watched movie XYGSDF on the Entertainment Forum or Facebook? that's an additional data point.

Last edited by godwin; 05-28-2015 at 05:42 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #59
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The other alternative is to simply be smarter about which torrents you get and from what sites. If you grab the biggest torrent from a popular site you're going to be more likely to have problems.

Is there actually any risk though? Ignoring the doubts about the owner of the content knowing exactly who you are, what is the actual risk of being fined/sued for $5k? I'll pay for something I need, but so far this just sounds like a bunch of fearmongering to stir up VPN business.
to be honest, the risk is pretty much NIL. but its the peace of mind that you are after. yes, it isn't likely that you will be fined $5k at all. but for $4/mo, you would need 1250 months of subscription to run a $5k bill. thats over 100 years. which will literally protect you for life of any risk of getting sued for $5k.

if you want to get technical and factor in inflation, its still pretty much your life time. but it takes only one successful sue and you are slammed with $5k bill just cause someone wants to cheap out $4/mo and possible jailtime too if i am not mistaken.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote