REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Retards getting rich (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703558-retards-getting-rich.html)

Tone Loc 05-26-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8641000)
It's no different than watching any other professional athlete or sports team.

Personally, I think that professional sports as a whole is a pretty big marker of how "stupid" we are as a society... we are completely okay with an athlete to be paid $100 million to walk around a ring and throw punches, or throw a rubber ball into a hoop or whatnot.

But God forbid we pay people who are actually necessary, like teachers, a wage proportional to their importance in society...

... and then we bitch about how "kids these days" are so stupid, disrespectful, ignorant, etc. It's no different than going to a shitty mechanic to save money and then complaining/wondering why your wheel fell off while driving home.

I always find it ironic that our society has such weird pre-occupations. To do nearly anything, you need a license, specific education, credentials, a certificate, etc... but the most important and life-changing thing a person can do - having and raising a child - needs little to no approval, licensing, or control.

Chronix 05-26-2015 11:33 PM

westopher 05-27-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B!tch (Post 8640948)
Westopher, I know you didn't use the word first but from the past post of yours that I have read, you seem like a mature thoughtful guy, so I am going to call you out for this one error in judgement.

It is not ok to use that word to get his point across.

"He's using a strong derogatory word to get a strong point across."

He may not be calling a mentally challenged person, that word, to their face but the fact he is using it at all is wrong.

Spoiler!

Personally, I believe the word has been so far disconnected from it's original use to refer to mentally handicapped people that it has now evolved to nothing more than an insult. Just as the word dumb has been so far disconnected that it no longer refers to someone who is unable to speak. It's all about context. People have varying levels of what they find offensive and we may not see eye to eye on how we perceive a certain word. Regardless my intentions are never to offend any individual who is thoughtful to others around them, but we just don't see it the same way. Many could argue that your user name is offensive to women. Perception is a sticky subject. I prefer to not look for deeper offensive meaning in what some consider to be a poor choice of words.

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-27-2015 02:36 AM

taking it too personally.

imagining a fantastical scenario.

someone calling someone a retard...

"lol that guy is a fuckin retard"

vs

"hey you, fuckin retard"
*pushes the guy with your finger*
*knocking him in the head*
"you fuckin retard? are you fuckin retarded? what the fuck is wrong with you?"
*pushes him again*
"you're so fucking stupid"
*starts mocking him*

there's a difference.

"lol what a fag"
vs
"die you fucking faggot!" *while stomping on his face*

"nigga stole mah bike!!!"
vs
"you fucking nigger, im going to hang you and slit your throat like the animal you are"

intent is everything. words are just words.

once you take things personally, you're just projecting your own insecurities, and your own assumptions and values on the rest of the world... like a zealous religious fanatic.
except you've made up your own religion with your own rules.

no body likes religious fanatics shoving their version of universal values down other people's throats.

you might tell an islamic person to chill out, it's just a fuckin drink of alcohol.

the same could be said here

chill out, it's just a word. no one got raped or beheaded or whatever. lol.

there was no intent directly destroy someone with hatred.

Sid Vicious 05-27-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina (Post 8641022)
Personally, I think that professional sports as a whole is a pretty big marker of how "stupid" we are as a society... we are completely okay with an athlete to be paid $100 million to walk around a ring and throw punches, or throw a rubber ball into a hoop or whatnot.

But God forbid we pay people who are actually necessary, like teachers, a wage proportional to their importance in society...

... and then we bitch about how "kids these days" are so stupid, disrespectful, ignorant, etc. It's no different than going to a shitty mechanic to save money and then complaining/wondering why your wheel fell off while driving home.

I always find it ironic that our society has such weird pre-occupations. To do nearly anything, you need a license, specific education, credentials, a certificate, etc... but the most important and life-changing thing a person can do - having and raising a child - needs little to no approval, licensing, or control.

ahhh...the classic "BUT BUT TEACHERS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAN ATHLETES" argument that's been debunked 1000000000 of times

athletes are first and foremost employees of a organization that has a basically unlimited budget and can pay their employees whatever they want. teachers are generally speaking employees of the gov't or whatever - gov'ts have a much more limited revenue and tighter budget.

teachers are MUCH easier to find and train than athletes. only .000001% of the world (or whatever) has the skill necessary to become a pro athlete.

also, whereas athletes make millions, they are also making their company hundreds of millions in dollars in terms of revenue from the games, merchandise etc etc. teachers don't exactly have this rate of return.

tl,dr: athletes aren't overpaid because of how much money they generate for their employers.

of course teachers are extremely important for the general welfare of society, but you can't compare their compensation to an athletes lol.

multicartual 05-27-2015 09:09 AM

"Retard" can refer to the timing of your ignition as well

Perhaps I am saying you're all fucking retarded and your spark is happening faaaaar before TDC which is why your brains are so fucking retarded!

Hondaracer 05-27-2015 11:11 AM

There are 20 million doctors in this world, there is 1 Sidney Crosby, period.

Also bitching about athletes vs doctors, teachers, these top tier athletes probably put wayyyy more time into their craft daily then your typical doctor or teacher.

There's a stat for getting drafted into the NFL which is somthing like of the eligible NCAA athletes, only 200 of the 450,000 get drafted, and of those 200 only somthing like 25 ever see regular time/pay on an active roster.

So for most of these stats with pro athletes, if you're a borderline pro you're wayyyy safer to go to school and apply yourself to make 60-80k per year as opposed to spend the first 30 years of your life grinding out an existence only to be left with no other options. You're essentially banking you're entire life on a short, lucritive career, if it doesn't pan out your SOL

quasi 05-27-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8641188)
There are 20 million doctors in this world, there is 1 Sidney Crosby, period.

Also bitching about athletes vs doctors, teachers, these top tier athletes probably put wayyyy more time into their craft daily then your typical doctor or teacher.

There's a stat for getting drafted into the NFL which is somthing like of the eligible NCAA athletes, only 200 of the 450,000 get drafted, and of those 200 only somthing like 25 ever see regular time/pay on an active roster.

So for most of these stats with pro athletes, if you're a borderline pro you're wayyyy safer to go to school and apply yourself to make 60-80k per year as opposed to spend the first 30 years of your life grinding out an existence only to be left with no other options. You're essentially banking you're entire life on a short, lucritive career, if it doesn't pan out your SOL

If you're a smart athlete who's borderline you'll do both. Someone like Connor McDavid is obviously set for life already no matter what happens with his career going forward. For most athletes they are so much better off IMO taking advantage of the free education and having a backup plan. Probably even more true for football players where a lot of the salary isn't guaranteed even if you are in the top echelon.

I do agree though, the odds of becoming a professional athlete are so unlikely and the teams are profiting off them so much they might as well get paid. They are no different then any other performer, actor or singer.

Hondaracer 05-27-2015 11:34 AM

Yea hockey is probably the worst professional sport to come out of with an education because the vast majority of picks are taken out of major junior, not the NCAA like basketball and football. Although most basketball players don't seem to turn into much post career outside of broadcasting

underscore 05-27-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8641123)
ahhh...the classic "BUT BUT TEACHERS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAN ATHLETES" argument that's been debunked 1000000000 of times

athletes are first and foremost employees of a organization that has a basically unlimited budget and can pay their employees whatever they want. teachers are generally speaking employees of the gov't or whatever - gov'ts have a much more limited revenue and tighter budget.

I think the important point that tends to get skipped is that people generally have no problem paying extra money towards entertainment (ie sports tickets, extra TV channels, PPV, etc) but if you mention increasing taxes to pay teachers more people lose their minds.

I'm not saying athlete's aren't skilled and sometimes unique individuals, but their talent has value for entertainment purposes and nothing more.

Sid Vicious 05-27-2015 12:00 PM

well their value is they generate money and tax revenue which goes back into the economy and the government

and you could honestly make that arguement for anything that doesn't have a direct tangible benefit to society such as art, music...etc

multicartual 05-27-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8641213)
anything that doesn't have a direct tangible benefit to society such as art, music...etc

Fuck off

El Dumbasso 05-27-2015 02:39 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pster1%202.png

ITT: A bunch of hipsters equating their dislike of "popular" media with some sort of intellectual superiority.

multicartual 05-27-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dumbasso (Post 8641259)
ITT: A bunch of hipsters equating their dislike of "popular" media with some sort of intellectual superiority.

I bet you are a retard with no style and you've never created a goddamn thing

meme405 05-27-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8641379)
I bet you are a retard with no style and you've never created a goddamn thing

Well he creates the greatest MS paint drawings RS has ever seen, so I'd say you're the fucking retarded one in this instance...

multicartual 05-27-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8641382)
Well he creates the greatest MS paint drawings RS has ever seen, so I'd say you're the fucking retarded one in this instance...

Suck my dick loser, when I meet both of you I bet I will laugh

jasonturbo 05-27-2015 08:09 PM

Didn't read any posts in this thread, though I'm sure there is a really deep and meaningful conversation taking place.

Personally, I feel that being retarded is very liberating, I sleep like a baby at night and DGAF during the day :)

multicartual 05-27-2015 08:22 PM

I was in the wrong to post this on this forum

Very few people show much self-awareness in this world, being arrogant and forcing my views on other people isn't going to make any friends. A few members here have a greater sense of where shit is going and why things are they way they are, and I'll be glad when I eventually meet these folk.

jasonturbo 05-27-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8641388)
I was in the wrong to post this on this forum

Very few people show much self-awareness in this world, being arrogant and forcing my views on other people isn't going to make any friends. A few members here have a greater sense of where shit is going and why things are they way they are, and I'll be glad when I eventually meet these folk.

Can I come?

Will there be free food?

multicartual 05-27-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8641393)
Can I come?

Will there be free food?

When is the next RS meet?

jasonturbo 05-27-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8641395)
When is the next RS meet?

For me, 2016 lol :okay:

Spoiler!

underscore 05-27-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8641233)
Fuck off

You went from zero to massively butthurt in record time.

tiger_handheld 05-27-2015 09:02 PM

this thread = wtf!

SoNaRWaVe 05-27-2015 09:37 PM

we are just too mainstream for multi. and he approves none of us because we have created nothing before.

Alby 05-27-2015 09:46 PM

i've created 2 kids. and a million more unknown