REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #3326
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Imagine David Backes going to Colin Campbell "They said Kelly was a great gal! <sobs>"
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #3327
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
what's your guys' take on increasing scoring?

I definitely agree with smaller more streamlined equipment but i'm not sure how i feel about tweaking with the size of the net

buddies and i were just talkin about how its been a long time since we've seen an open ice hit and now games are turning into fucking snooze fests
the game could definitely use more goals if its gonna become this soft-cry-me-a-fucking-river-you-hurt-my-fucking-feelings-league
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #3328
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The league is becoming soft. Hell, society as a whole is becoming soft. Bunch of pussies.
tr0ubl3s0m3x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3329
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Goaltending equipment has gotten smaller over the past few years with greater regulation, yet scoring has continued to drop.

Meanwhile, powerplays continue to drop alongside scoring. IMO, they're looking at the wrong area.

I think I read that over 60% of overtime games don't make it to the shootout now, so obviously it's not impossible to score on the goalies. It's just difficult to score when you consider the defensive structures that can be implemented 5-on-5 and the lack of powerplays.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #3330
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0ubl3s0m3x View Post
The league is becoming soft. Hell, society as a whole is becoming soft. Bunch of pussies.
watch out guys, we got a badass over here
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #3331
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
what's your guys' take on increasing scoring?

I definitely agree with smaller more streamlined equipment but i'm not sure how i feel about tweaking with the size of the net

buddies and i were just talkin about how its been a long time since we've seen an open ice hit and now games are turning into fucking snooze fests
the game could definitely use more goals if its gonna become this soft-cry-me-a-fucking-river-you-hurt-my-fucking-feelings-league

One good way to increase goal scoring is also to ensure better protection of our star players. Do you know why the league is so soft? I really think the instigator rule for fighting needs to gone from the NHL rule book.

For those of you are old enough to remember Gretzky and the 80s oilers, the NHL had those players, the enforcers like Semenko, to protect Gretzky from getting hit from behind or any stick work on done on them.

There is an unwritten code among players. If a star player, or any playe like Gretzky, receives a dirty, illegal body check from an opposing player, you can bet Semenko would beat the pulp out of that player. It was an effective deterrent to protect star players.

Correct if I'm wrong, I remember one of the NHL GMs, Brian Burke, advocating the removal of the instigator rule.

If star players have a player who can act as their "bodyguard", this enforcer, can make sure star players have the open ice available to create more scoring chances.

I am not advocating removal of all body checks and hitting. -just the hit from behind stuff.

Seriously, what is that dwarf Bettman think that hockey violence, and fighting results in lower TV ratings, fan attendance for games, and less league revenues?? I guarantee that Bettman has never fought in a hockey game.

I think fans love fights and the clean body checks in the NHL. TV ratings and ultimately league revenue could go up with the removal of the instigator rule because A) fans want to watch the games to watch fights and B) goal scoring goes up in the league because star players know that they have players on their team to protect them from illegal body checks. They have more open ice available to create scoring chances.

Last edited by pastarocket; 11-12-2015 at 11:15 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Goaltending equipment has gotten smaller over the past few years with greater regulation, yet scoring has continued to drop.

Meanwhile, powerplays continue to drop alongside scoring. IMO, they're looking at the wrong area.

I think I read that over 60% of overtime games don't make it to the shootout now, so obviously it's not impossible to score on the goalies. It's just difficult to score when you consider the defensive structures that can be implemented 5-on-5 and the lack of powerplays.
true that, i remember reading something about that a while back. Can't remember the exact article though. I know pads/pants and so on are regulated but are shoulder/torso armor also regulated?

more powerplays would be nice...i remember tsn or something was mentioning that after the 04-05 lockout, PP chances were way up and so was scoring because of the clamp down on hooks/stick infractions.
then as we progressed towards Dead Puck Era 2 both numbers (pp and scoring) declined so there's a valid point there.

Personally, i'd like to see those stupid little pick plays be penalized more.
But seeing as the NHL is so focused on the Goalies at the moment, more pp's won't be happening anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
One good way to increase goal scoring is also to ensure better protection of our star players. Do you know why the league is so soft? I really think the instigator rule for fighting needs to gone from the NHL rule book.

For those of you are old enough to remember Gretzky and the 80s oilers, the NHL had those players, the enforcers like Semenko, to protect Gretzky from getting hit from behind or any stick work on done on them.

There is an unwritten code among players. If a star player, or any playe like Gretzky, receives a dirty, illegal body check from an opposing player, you can bet Semenko would beat the pulp out of that player. It was an effective deterrent to protect star players.

Correct if I'm wrong, I remember one of the NHL GMs, Brian Burke, advocating the removal of the instigator rule.

If star players have a player who can act as their "bodyguard", this enforcer, can make sure star players have the open ice available to create more scoring chances.

I am not advocating removal of all body checks and hitting. -just the hit from behind stuff.

Seriously, what is that dwarf Bettman think that hockey violence, and fighting results in lower TV ratings, fan attendance for games, and less league revenues?? I guarantee that Bettman has never fought in a hockey game.

I think fans love fights and the clean body checks in the NHL. TV ratings and ultimately league revenue could go up with the removal of the instigator rule because A) fans want to watch the games to watch fights and B) goal scoring goes up in the league because star players know that they have players on their team to protect them from illegal body checks. They have more open ice available to create scoring chances.
man, go back to your bragging rights church pool

but srs, a roster spot for someone who can barely skate or play hockey just to "secure" star players? no thanks.

i think the demand for fights is decreasing, i love a good fight but not when its scripted or "tone-setting" or "please fight me, we're getting domed by 5 goals" type of shit.

the ushering out of clueless plugs and goons in favor of tougher players who can actually play is one the few things the NHL has done right imo.

if they wanna protect star players, they need to be more consistent with handing out PPs and suspensions.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #3333

It's hard to find consistency with the NHL's disciplinary department. I mean, the clowns that run that department really makes you wonder how they can explain the rationale behind some of the suspensions.

Take the Seabrook hit from behind on Daniel as an example of an NHL decision on disciplinary action. -only 3 games for that hit?? You cannot be serious.

Now, you have Burrows facing a disciplinary hearing for something that Tootoo said that Burrows said about him.

The consistency should not be only for the size of the suspension for the player's action but for the action itself.

Does the league have a monkey spinning a wheel to determine the disciplinary action for what Burrows allegedly said?

Last edited by pastarocket; 11-12-2015 at 12:58 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #3334
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Re: goalie pad size reductions.

The pants and chest/armour are regulated to a point, but a smaller goalie can fill up to the max dimensions (like what Miller does with pants and chest). That said, I think they can reduce the pants at the very least,

As for the CA- they need to be careful when looking to reduce this. Even while wearing a pro-model CA, I get stingers from a beer league shot when shot in the right place (arm joints and up high are notorious). With players shooting the way they do, I don't see how they can reduce the size of the CA without compromising protection.

With Vancouver's powerplay, more penalties called would likely increase scoring. Of shorthanded goals by their opposition.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #3335
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Personally, i'd like to see those stupid little pick plays be penalized more.
I like pick plays. They actually work out to create more scoring chances so if the league wants to see more scoring, allow these pick plays like how the NBA does it.

There is always a place and time for a little bit of interference to slow players down. For example, a forechecker coming in hard on a defense man trying to retrieve the puck behind the net.
But of course, it will be a fine line as the game is better off without the clutching and grabbing.

As for goalie gear size, the game has changed and Ferarro is a bit of a tool when he retweeted that Roy pic from 1986 and 1996. Maybe he should try playing goal before making such blanket statements in regards to gear size.
Goals from last year to this YTD is down as a whole. It's not a matter of gear size since 3 on 3 should have increased the goal count by a little bit.
The game has changed. Everyone is on board with shot blocking and playing a stronger defensive game. Every team has gotten stronger defensively and not just by having better defensemen, but by playing a stronger defensive game.

If they want to increase scoring, then get the refs to call more of the clutching and grabbing. Shrink the size of the goalie crease. Allow some incidental goalie contact when they are outside the crease.
Make the rink bigger so there is more room to move around.
And increase the area behind the net too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I like pick plays. They actually work out to create more scoring chances so if the league wants to see more scoring, allow these pick plays like how the NBA does it.

There is always a place and time for a little bit of interference to slow players down. For example, a forechecker coming in hard on a defense man trying to retrieve the puck behind the net.
But of course, it will be a fine line as the game is better off without the clutching and grabbing.

As for goalie gear size, the game has changed and Ferarro is a bit of a tool when he retweeted that Roy pic from 1986 and 1996. Maybe he should try playing goal before making such blanket statements in regards to gear size.
Goals from last year to this YTD is down as a whole. It's not a matter of gear size since 3 on 3 should have increased the goal count by a little bit.
The game has changed. Everyone is on board with shot blocking and playing a stronger defensive game. Every team has gotten stronger defensively and not just by having better defensemen, but by playing a stronger defensive game.

If they want to increase scoring, then get the refs to call more of the clutching and grabbing. Shrink the size of the goalie crease. Allow some incidental goalie contact when they are outside the crease.
Make the rink bigger so there is more room to move around.
And increase the area behind the net too.

The owners would never allow the size of the ice surface to be larger in arenas because that would mean taking some seats away from fans to increase the rink. That means less revenue in the pockets of owners. It would be expensive to reconfigure the size of the ice surface in existing arenas in the league.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #3337
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Is anyone else having issues signing into their NHL Game center account via my rogers?
I signed a new contract this year and have a year's membership and everything was working up until Tuesday and now I can't log in. =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #3338
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Is anyone else having issues signing into their NHL Game center account via my rogers?
I signed a new contract this year and have a year's membership and everything was working up until Tuesday and now I can't log in. =(
Todays game is blacked out on Gamecenter. Check your PM

Last edited by AznDrift; 11-12-2015 at 04:23 PM.
AznDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #3339
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Can I check my PM too?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #3340
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
that moment you realize we couldnt score goals last year, but we were good in the PK.. and now its vice versa

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #3341
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Goalies are becoming more athletic, can't people just accept that?
Hell the NHL ran an article on goalie skates where Bauer and another skate company have completely removed the cowling on the toes so the goalie get more lean or whatever it is to push off.

Goalies improve with new skates made by Bauer, VH Footwear: Unmasked | Unmasked

they talked to Richard Bachman about this... mentions that Carey Price also uses something similar... not sure if this picture will link from nhl.com
the Supreme1S is the new skates

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #3342
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Goalies are becoming more athletic, can't people just accept that?
Hell the NHL ran an article on goalie skates where Bauer and another skate company have completely removed the cowling on the toes so the goalie get more lean or whatever it is to push off.

Goalies improve with new skates made by Bauer, VH Footwear: Unmasked | Unmasked

they talked to Richard Bachman about this... mentions that Carey Price also uses something similar... not sure if this picture will link from nhl.com
the Supreme1S is the new skates

Just to add some insight as to why such a small difference in angle is a big deal:

When goalies are in their butterfly, the greater the "angle of attack" on your skates the easier it is to grab an edge during lateral movements. Add that to the weight savings (cowlings are bulky and heavy compared to what a player skate feels like) and you have a quicker, more agile, and more explosive goalie. There's a significant difference even at the beer league level when you compare high-attack cowlings like the new CCM/Bauer (not the newest ones seen above) to the older versions.

A smaller advantage is the ability to get a "deeper" stance. If you're a tall goalie, a deeper stance allows you to get to the ice quicker, covering the lower part of the net much faster than someone who isn't in as deep a stance. There's more diminishing returns here though since a deeper stance makes a goalie slower for any lateral movements while on their feet.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #3343

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0ubl3s0m3x View Post
trudeau wants feminism in canada
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #3344
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Leave the goalie equipment alone.
More goals =/= exciting hockey.
If you want more goals, go watch lacrosse.

You'll never get high scoring games any more like in the 80s and 90s, simply cause goalies don't suck any more. Look at the shitty technique they used to use back in old school hockey. Flopping like a fish. Skate save? wtf? You have to be retarded to think goalie equipment is the sole reason why scoring has dropped.

You have to factor in better defensive systems, bigger players that take up more open space. Faster/better skaters which also take up open space.

If the game wants to be more exciting with more scoring chances, they'll need to make it 4-on-4 hockey or expand every arena to have bigger ice so there's more flow. But that's never going to happen. Because that will drastically change the game way too much. And full time 4-on-4 hockey will mean many players will be cut and lose their jobs due to a smaller team roster.

Scoring chances is what makes more exciting hockey, not soft goals because the goalie equipment or the net got fucked with.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #3345
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

As someone mentioned, I like the idea of letting pick plays happen. Picks does not mean blindsiding someone without the puck, just like you can't run over someone setting a pick in basketball. It'll make the coaching element even more important to the game.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #3346
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
The game is evolving. All the kids are scoring goals in bunches and you tell us scoring is down.

the game is evolving, id rather see the league revisit this whole low scoring debate thing in a year or two and see what the next generation of talent does.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #3347
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Leave the goalie equipment alone.
More goals =/= exciting hockey.
If you want more goals, go watch lacrosse.

You'll never get high scoring games any more like in the 80s and 90s, simply cause goalies don't suck any more. Look at the shitty technique they used to use back in old school hockey. Flopping like a fish. Skate save? wtf? You have to be retarded to think goalie equipment is the sole reason why scoring has dropped.

You have to factor in better defensive systems, bigger players that take up more open space. Faster/better skaters which also take up open space.

If the game wants to be more exciting with more scoring chances, they'll need to make it 4-on-4 hockey or expand every arena to have bigger ice so there's more flow. But that's never going to happen. Because that will drastically change the game way too much. And full time 4-on-4 hockey will mean many players will be cut and lose their jobs due to a smaller team roster.

Scoring chances is what makes more exciting hockey, not soft goals because the goalie equipment or the net got fucked with.
Increase the net size and goals will increase without a doubt.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #3348

Let's talk about ways to increase goal scoring for the Canucks power play and improving the penalty kill. The numbers look really bad for our team:

8 power play goals given up to the opposition in the past 4 games.
10 losses this season so far are losing games to the opponent by one goal.
Sens score two goals on the PP. Our team scores one PP goal.

Special teams are the difference between winning and losing for all teams in the league.

How do the coaches fix our PP and PK? -new assistant coaches?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #3349

It's all part of the plan for Auston, no change needed

I'm not so upset we're sucking at every aspect at the moment. Early season is always easy. It's just a reminder that we're gonna suck this season. I set pretty low expectations and i don't really mind as long as the kids are getting their shot and are showing growth. Wouldn't be surprised if we finished sub 500 in this road trip.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #3350
My homepage has been set to RS

The funny thing is the pacific division is so wide open even if canucks play sub par hockey this year they could still finish 1 or 2 and challenge for a wild card...lets face it they wont suck as bad as say oilers to get a high draft pick..canucks will litterally have to tank so bad that they get a chance at the top 3 picks but I dont see it happening.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote