REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #1126
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
by the sounds of it people ripped benning and linden hard and were actually booing for a lot of it.

1040 played a clip this morning of a guy asking why the fuck are we spending over 5 mill on two 4th liners and benning/linden did t have an answer other than "yes we want to win a cup too"

Do you? Doesn't seem like it
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #1127
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts

This whole fiasco is actually hilarious at this point.

Not sure if they're trying to fuck up badly for the purpose of tanking or they just can't make simple decisions for shit.

Well, at least we haven't lost any of our prospects for used jocks yet. Maybe, just maybe, we'll actually have a shot at top 4 next draft. If tank wars is the plan, Trev and co are definitely laying a solid foundation for a giant brick shit of a season.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #1128
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Theres a reason why Oilers sucked although they have better talents cause they had no vet. Look at the flames... vets mentoring the flames youngsters.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #1129
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I'm all for Benning in bringing in more character guys. I don't know why he traded Bieksa though...

One issue with tanking is that if your team consists of too many youngsters, the losing mentality can get in your head quickly and sooner or later it'll just be another paycheck.

Remember few years ago with the Avs where Giguere bitched about the team how many of the youngsters were looking forward to the year end vegas trip rather than aiming for the playoffs. (lol Shane O'Brien was on the team that year haha)
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #1130

I don't get how trading a 24 year old plus a pick for a 31 year old UFA grinder constitutes "tanking"?

Nor does trading bieksa for a deeper round pick than was available days before..like this has been terrible management
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #1131

I think canucks could've got 1st pick and 2nd round pick in 2015 draft for Miller and Bieksa from the Sharks but benning said no

Wilsons neck is on the line, he would've done it... similar to the Caps GM Frosberg for Erat to save his ass for 1 more year

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 07-10-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #1132

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don't get how trading a 24 year old plus a pick for a 31 year old UFA grinder constitutes "tanking"?
" We want to get younger "- Dim Jim Benning

Benning also said at the Summit he didn't consider kassian a core player for the team.... so a 31 year old Prust is?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #1133

wouldn't be surprised of benning steps down as GM to be head scout firing delerome and weisbrod being our GM
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
" We want to get younger "- Dim Jim Benning

Benning also said at the Summit he didn't consider kassian a core player for the team.... so a 31 year old Prust is?
Dim Jim...I like it
Old 07-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #1135

man you guys are desperate, and reaching to bash benning. just because he got calls on miller doesnt mean it was a positive deal. chicago has been getting calls on sharp, but teams are asking for sharp + teravainen/mcneill for a 2nd/3rd. thats like asking miller + horvat/mccann/cassels for a 2nd or 3rd

kassian isnt part of the core, or the future core. neither is he an older player that our younger players should be going to for advice.honestly i hated this deal the most when i first saw it, but now that i think of it, i would rather have dorsett and prust being in the locker room for horvat, cassels, virtanen, mccann etc. they are far from great, but they are players that have had to work every night to keep a nhl roster spot, its something important for young players to see.

granted some of his moves have been questionable/stupid (sbisaaa), but at least with the picks he has received he is making intriguing and better picks that previous managements did and atleast providing a decent future.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #1136

I can't respect a guy who says "the team has improved from last year" sorry.

To me, both him and Linden seem like they don't have a handle on the market.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #1137
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 5,097 Posts
Whatevs, we all know we're not winning this year so let's just hope we get some excitement watching players develop. All I know at this point is that I'm happy if Markstrm doesn't completely shit the bed and we see some flashes of brilliance from a couple of prospects... The only thing that would really anger me watching this year is if I see a guy like Higgins taking laps around the rink every shift without getting a seat in the press box, such a lazy fuck 90% of the time there's no way he should be in the lineup over a younger guy.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #1138
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I can't respect a guy who says "the team has improved from last year" sorry.

To me, both him and Linden seem like they don't have a handle on the market.
The market is a bunch of Vancouverites who are too emotional and never have heard of rational thinking. They listen to too much Pratt.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #1139
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
The market is a bunch of Vancouverites who are too emotional and never have heard of rational thinking. They listen to too much Pratt.
How good is this comment?!
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #1140

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
IMO most Canuck fans are getting exactly what they want. They say they want a new young core but lack the follow through when they realize it involves losing and time to develop these young players. So we constantly end up in mediocrity and being stuck in the retooling, good but not good enough to win a cup stage.

Sometimes I wish the Grizzlies were still in town to take some heat off the Canucks. It's such a fish bowl media environment where hockey is the only sport in town. There's no other sport for the average sports fan to turn to when they rebuild and the fan mentality becomes overly toxic over every little move.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #1141
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Sometimes I wish the Grizzlies were still in town to take some heat off the Canucks. It's such a fish bowl media environment where hockey is the only sport in town. There's no other sport for the average sports fan to turn to when they rebuild and the fan mentality becomes overly toxic over every little move.
What about the BC Lions, or Vancouver Whitecaps?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #1142
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
We need a NFL team, screw NBA, CFL and the MLS
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #1143

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
We need a NFL team, screw NBA, CFL and the MLS
-would love to see the NFL expand to include a Vancouver franchise.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #1144
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
id like NBA before NFL.....id like it more if NHL moved from vancouver to Seattle though LOL
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #1145

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What about the BC Lions, or Vancouver Whitecaps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ues_by_revenue
Revenue by sport:
NBA - USD 4.8B
NHL - USD 3.7B
MLS - USD 494.4M
CFL - CAD 180M

I'm not much of a soccer fan so I could be mistaken, but Whitecaps other than this year have been bottom feeders. BC Lions has a winning history, but c'mon it's a league of 10 teams with a far inferior product compared to what they have south of the border.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #1146

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ues_by_revenue
Revenue by sport:
NBA - USD 4.8B
NHL - USD 3.7B
MLS - USD 494.4M
CFL - CAD 180M

I'm not much of a soccer fan so I could be mistaken, but Whitecaps other than this year have been bottom feeders. BC Lions has a winning history, but c'mon it's a league of 10 teams with a far inferior product compared to what they have south of the border.
Whoa.....gear down there big rig there are only 9 teams in the CFL it's not that big .

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #1147
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Mind you Whitecaps aren't even 5 years in the MLS and they don't have the budget of teams like Toronto, LA, NY or Seattle but so far its been fun to watch and they've got a berth in the concacaf champions league already.

Im glad there's the mls right now, I'll be investing more time and money with the caps over the next few years by the looks of it.

They've been around the cellar previous years but so far its been a step in the right direction every season. Give em a shot
Tix start at $30 iirc and the atmosphere is awesome.

*runs away to mls thread
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #1148
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
The Whitecaps aren't that bad.
2011 (first year in the league) 18th
2012 12th made playoffs
2013 11th overall
2014 9th overall
2015 Currently 3rd overall

As for the Lions, I don't think they have a winning history as it is a matter of opinion about inferior product since we play 3 downs and the NFL plays 4 downs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #1149

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I fell asleep at the only Whitecaps game I went to (free tickets, so at least it didn't cost me anything). I'd much rather spend 2 hours and $30 going to the movies or watching the Giants than trying to stay awake during a soccer game. I don't really enjoy soccer in any respect, though.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #1150
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Do you know what I really enjoy reading when I'm in the Canucks/NHL thread?

Soccer.

I love reading about soccer and the whitecaps.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote