REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #1651
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
never should have let him and raffi torres walk.... but here we are in 2015 talking about 2011 again
Guess that's better than talking about 94
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #1652
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Ehrhoff was offered the same contract Bieksa signed (5 years, $23M and heavily front-loaded), but Buffalo was offering 10 years, $40M with even heavier up-front payments ($18M over the first 2 seasons with $13M in signing bonuses).

Plus we already had a long-term, front-loaded contract that had us in hot water with the league in Luongo's contract.

It sucked losing Ehrhoff, but it's not like we lowballed him or anything. He took a deal we realistically couldn't match.

As for Torres, his body has completely fallen apart.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2015, 12:31 AM   #1653
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Canucks moving to real-time dynamic ticket pricing | The Province

Quote:
The modern age in ticket pricing has come.

Whether that’s a good thing remains to be seen, but know this: if, somehow, there’s high demand for a Canucks game this year, you’re going to pay for it.

We’ve known forever about how ticket scalpers read the market and price their markups accordingly; now the Canucks apparently set to turn modern computer algorithms on their own ticket sales. Prices for single-game tickets will move like they would in a commodities market.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:50 AM   #1654

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Ehrhoff was offered the same contract Bieksa signed (5 years, $23M and heavily front-loaded), but Buffalo was offering 10 years, $40M with even heavier up-front payments ($18M over the first 2 seasons with $13M in signing bonuses).
still remember him saying:

"i want to go to a Stanley Cup contender "

*signs with Buffalo*

Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #1655
My homepage has been set to RS

^haha yeah I remember that too! Then he pulled Jerry Maguire! "SHOW ME THE MONAAAAY!"
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #1656
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
since it's a slow news day and there's no BlueJays thread....

i think it's a huge mistake hiring Mark Shapiro... just promote AA and extend him at the same time! He's built you a winning product so he should be rewarded. It's a high risk low reward gamble bringing in someone who might clash with AA when your team's doing this good

....but then again I've been watching baseball for all of 2 months so....
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #1657
CRS

Quote:

i think it's a huge mistake hiring Mark Shapiro... just promote AA and extend him at the same time! He's built you a winning product so he should be rewarded. It's a high risk low reward gamble bringing in someone who might clash with AA when your team's doing this good

Feel free to create an MLB thread.

Let's try keep topics separate unless they actually overlap like this...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #1658
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

Shapiro is a highly respected baseball exec that has basically worked his way up the Cleveland organization since the early 90s. He's kind of like GMJB and that he started from nothing and earned his promotions through years of hard work.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #1659
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Youngstars tourney next week!

Hockey is just around the corner!!!!!

highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #1660
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Shapiro is a highly respected baseball exec that has basically worked his way up the Cleveland organization since the early 90s. He's kind of like GMJB and that he started from nothing and earned his promotions through years of hard work.
can't the same be said about Anthopoulos? Minus the highly respected part (for now)
I just feel AA has the right to steer the ship and one wrong move by a new prez on an already successful team will just alienate the fanbase... but maybe i'm wrong
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #1661
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
I think Mccan might be better than Virtanen in the long run/ Virtanen might be a fragile player the style he plays
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #1662
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
I think Mccan might be better than Virtanen in the long run/ Virtanen might be a fragile player the style he plays
What.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #1663

Interesting that Zalewski, who was a favourite checking line player of Green who wasn't qualified or re-signed by the Canucks, is attending the Young Stars tourney.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
What.
Agreed, Virtanen is a human wrecking ball.

I think what mike oxbig meant that he may not have a long career due to how physical how plays

Nucks are stacked at Center in our prospect lineup.

Not even including Horvat, we have McCann, Cassels , Guance
The latter 2 will probably be 3/4 centers.

Wings are decent with Brock and Virtanen (I hope/think that one of them is RW and other LW)

We need some blue chipper D now.
Franchise Dman dont grow on trees but we can trade/draft for one

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #1665
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
Agreed, Virtanen is a human wrecking ball.

I think what mike oxbig meant that he may not have a long career due to how physical how plays

Nucks are stacked at Center in our prospect lineup.

Not even including Horvat, we have McCann, Cassels , Guance
The latter 2 will probably be 3/4 centers.

Wings are decent with Brock and Virtanen (I hope/think that one of them is RW and other LW)

We need some blue chipper D now.
Franchise Dman dont grow on trees but we can trade/draft for one
Gaunce has been playing LW in Utica last season.

Still missing that top line centre though. Hopefully Horvat or McCann can fill in that role.

I think we've been looking for that Franchise Dman for a very long time.

Edler was supposed to fill that role...our next Lidstrom....
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #1666

Shinkaruk also played centre in junior, was converted to wing. It's not uncommon as most top junior players have played centre since it was known they were special.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #1667

Oh yeah, Shinkaruk. My guess is he stays a winger though with our glut of centers. doesnt look like hes trusted enough to go center anyways considering hes not as known for his two way play as say Horvat or McCann.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #1668
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I think he means Jake Virtanen's playing style in Major Jr may not translate over well to the NHL.

Similar to Gilbert Brule, a high level prospect that could play a pretty physical WHL game but became injury prone once he tried doing the same in the NHL.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #1669

Brule, drafted at 5'10" 180 lbs, currently listed at 5'11" 187 lbs at age 28 ... Is comparable to the physical freak of nature that is Jake Virtanen?

Virtanen already proved he can physically dominate in the AHL playoffs, absolutely demolishing veteran players ... At age 18 ...

Here's 6'3" 221 lbs Brian Lashoff stepping up on Virtanen to deliver a hit and Virtanen sends him flying instead.

Last edited by Jmac; 08-31-2015 at 08:40 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #1670

Virtanen is hardly a physical freak of nature. At 6'1 207lbs, he's essentially the NHL average. It's a bit premature to call a guy proven when you're assessing him based on a sample size of 10 AHL games.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Virtanen is hardly a physical freak of nature. At 6'1 207lbs, he's essentially the NHL average. It's a bit premature to call a guy proven when you're assessing him based on a sample size of 10 AHL games.
You're all over the map here.

First of all, the NHL average for forwards is 6'1" 197 lbs. Virtanen is listed (literally on this page) at 6'1" 212 lbs ... At age 19 ... Was drafted at 6'1" 208 lbs (source: CHL top prospects fitness testing) ... 15 lbs heavier than average and still growing ... Not that weight necessarily = strength ...

Pre-draft scouting report:
Quote:
Loaded with some of the best physical tools in this year's entire class. He's a tremendous skater with speed, balance, terrific agility for a big man, and an explosive initial burst. Also has a rifle shot with a lightning release. Has the size to drive through defenders, but needs to use his size to better advantage.
And this past season, he took his physical game to another level.

Secondly, you're comparing him to Gilbert Brule, who was 5'10" 180 lbs and 8.5 months older when drafted ... Who matured at an early age and barely gained any mass over the years. That's a 3", 28 lbs difference not to mention that Virtanen is also faster and stronger than Brule was (check the fitness test results).
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #1672
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
No comments on Dane Fox being in the young stars???? I don't think anyone played worse in the pre-season than that guy last year goodness knows why he's invited back... Not even close to a point per game in the ECHL last year either.........
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #1673
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Hes compared to Iginla... iuno guys
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #1674

I'm basing my information as per the Globe and Mail's 2013 numbers of 6'1.3 ft tall, 203.7lbs (NHL teams bigger, younger than a year ago - The Globe and Mail) and comparing it to Jake Virtanen's Eliteprospects profile.

Virtanen is listed as 6' 1" 208lbs on NHL.com as well.
Utica Comets website: 6' 1" 207lbs,
Vancouver Canucks website: 6' 1" 208lbs.

I never compared Brule and Virtanen's size. Mike Oxbig said "Virtanen might be a fragile player the style he plays" and I compared it to Brule's playing style. He wasn't afraid to play the body in Major Jr but playing the same style in the NHL caused him to get hurt.

You have to take those combine results with a grain of salt. The first part of the article shows the results from the top performers at the 2010 NHL scouting combine: Scouting Combine blog - 2010 NHL Draft Combine presented by Reebok

Recognize many names? Exactly.

Until Virtanen actually plays a game in the NHL and starts manhandling other players it would be an overstatement to call him a physical freak of nature.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
No comments on Dane Fox being in the young stars???? I don't think anyone played worse in the pre-season than that guy last year goodness knows why he's invited back... Not even close to a point per game in the ECHL last year either.........
cuz hes one of our prospects on an entry lvl deal. his worst aspect is skating which would of hampered him a lot, yet he still put up 30g as a 20year old first year pro on a shitty kalamazoo team where the top point producer had 55pts

hes seen as a long term prospect(was originally seen as a 2nd round talent before off ice problems) much like blomstrand who also put up 30g with kalamazoo.

surprised theres been no news on valk though signed a 1year deal with the comets last year cuz the canucks didnt have contract spots, played well before his injury. now no invite or contract