REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsuck View Post
. Have you looked at lease rates for the Macan S?
Or a Golf R for that matter - hair under $600/month for 48 months with zero down.
Advertisement
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^I'm all for the new VW MQB platform cars but how is that price even possible???
+1 new MK7 Golf Gti gets my vote
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Can't go wrong with either one...
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
You literally can't go wrong with any m3 (except the e36 of course,) especially in alpine white.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #55
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

kinda in the same boat.

since B9 A4 is out, why not wait for the B9 S4?
Love the S5 too, but that model is basically 9 years old...
Cayman with 2 seats really isn't practical (for me)

Not sure about you, but for me, no stick shift = no care...
that kinda eliminates a lot of the other choices... (Lexus, ATS, C-class, CLA..)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #56
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
To the OP, don't diss a Corvette unless you've actually checked out a C7 Corvette Stingray / Z06. Those monsters are every bit as nice as an M3/M4, inside and out, on and off the track. The Stingray is also easily more affordable than an M3/M4.

Last edited by Traum; 07-07-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #57
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
To the OP, don't diss a Corvette unless you've actually checked out a C7 Corvette Stingray / Z06. Those monsters are every bit as nice as an M3/M4, inside and out, on and off the track. The Stingray is also easily more affordable than an M3/M4.
not to mention, for the price of the m3/m4 you can buy a new stingray, bolt on a vortech supercharger and install a tune and have a 700hp savage beast. and that's 700hp all day long too without any issues. they're great fucking cars.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, it's prob a logical one... I know I'd love driving that car every day.

But I don't like looking at it. It looks wrong. It looks like a 435 that's been shrunk to 80% of its original length, but the same height/width:
435 is actually a pretty damn big car. m235i is the same size as the e46 m3.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #59
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^they're also numb as fuck to drive. M-sport is nothing compared to a real M
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #60
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
not to mention, for the price of the m3/m4 you can buy a new stingray, bolt on a vortech supercharger and install a tune and have a 700hp savage beast. and that's 700hp all day long too without any issues. they're great fucking cars.
While I agree with you, plastic interiors make the OP sad.
I willing to bet that the couldn't handle 700hp anyway. Driving cars with the assistance of traction control, electronic stability control, 5th gen ABS, et al actually makes one a worse driver.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I don't even have a stereo in my car, ABS or a cupholder

It has a 5 speed, gauges and a fun pedal GO!

But hey... you're right, some people want to drive a car that is more like an entertainment center now. Holy fuck GPS, giant screens, talking cars, buttons everywhere... how the fuck does anyone enjoy driving a damn near desktop PC? The manual on iDrive is like 300 pages thick?!?!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #62
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
^they're also numb as fuck to drive. M-sport is nothing compared to a real M
M sport X drive.........

they drive like the regular cars nowdays.. since they dont have the M sport suspension because of the X drive.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #63
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsuck View Post
. Have you looked at lease rates for the Macan S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
Can't go wrong with either one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
First of all, I didn't diss Corvettes... I have a ton of respect for them, and I know the C7 is a great car. I am simply not interested in owning one, they're not for me... I personally find it too 'showy' and loud. To each their own.

Also, from what I can tell, a Stingray and new M4 are pretty close in performance (Vette might have a half second advantage in 0-60 and 1/4 mile) and price (depending on options).

Quote:
435 is actually a pretty damn big car. m235i is the same size as the e46 m3.
Yeah, true. And the e92 is big enough, IMO.

That said, it's not that the 235 is too small, it's that the proportions don't look right. Hopefully the next gen is a bit less homely.

Also, pretty much all cars (in all market segments) are growing longer and wider with each generation, so I'd imagine the 4-series is roughly the same size as competing vehicles in that segment? The C-series Merc's look especially huge for a 'compact' model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I willing to bet that the couldn't handle 700hp anyway. Driving cars with the assistance of traction control, electronic stability control, 5th gen ABS, et al actually makes one a worse driver.
Agree that driver aids probably make for less competent drivers, but then again everything you've mentioned is mandated by law now, so it's not like anyone buying a new car today needs to learn threshold braking, etc unless they're driving an older model car or hitting the track.

Not sure about your "can't handle 700hp!1!" comment. No, I do not have special track driving skills (altho I did spend some time on the track in an Aventador and 458 and survived to tell the tale). I really don't think a person needs to be a rally legend in order to drive a stock Vette. Plus, I'd much rather have a very usable 450hp daily driver than a barely-controllable 700hp beast.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I don't even have a stereo in my car, ABS or a cupholder

It has a 5 speed, gauges and a fun pedal GO!

But hey... you're right, some people want to drive a car that is more like an entertainment center now. Holy fuck GPS, giant screens, talking cars, buttons everywhere... how the fuck does anyone enjoy driving a damn near desktop PC? The manual on iDrive is like 300 pages thick?!?!
Some tech features are awesome (rearview cam, HUD, intelligent GPS, bluetooth connectivity, heated seats, etc) but I agree that the rest of them are just irritating distractions.

What I want is pretty simple, nothing out of the ordinary: basic luxury pack (power seats, solid stereo, keyless start, etc +, bluetooth to play music from my phone + a cup holder that does not eject my beverages at random.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. Planning to test drive an RC-F, 435, e92 M3, and perhaps a Cayman if I can find a good one in the next few weeks. The 435i is in the lead currently.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #65
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
well there is one more sleeper car that i've been super impressed with.......

Q50S Hybrid.

But before the bashing begins.... 360hp with 400lb/ft torque stock. and still returns stupid awesome gas mileage.

Should look into it as well. ATTESA-ETS AWD as well. (100% rwd under normal conditions)

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #66
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Some tech features are awesome (rearview cam, HUD, intelligent GPS, bluetooth connectivity, heated seats, etc) but I agree that the rest of them are just irritating distractions.

What I want is pretty simple, nothing out of the ordinary: basic luxury pack (power seats, solid stereo, keyless start, etc +, bluetooth to play music from my phone + a cup holder that does not eject my beverages at random.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. Planning to test drive an RC-F, 435, e92 M3, and perhaps a Cayman if I can find a good one in the next few weeks. The 435i is in the lead currently.
I'm a huge bmw fan and love the way they drive, but don't forget to checkout the new Audi S3 as well imo. Small car, decent features if optioned and the steering feels just like the new bmws where it's electronic but with different settings can imitate the hydraulic feel of your e92
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #67
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiguru View Post
but don't forget to checkout the new Audi S3 as well imo. Small car, decent features if optioned and the steering feels just like the new bmws where it's electronic but with different settings can imitate the hydraulic feel of your e92
1- Test drive the S3.
2- Buy or lease it if you love it.
3- If the pocket rocket's stock 0-60 in 4.4s is too slow., Stage I APR ECU tune it for 3.9s or Stage II if you dare.

Source:
0-60 in 4.4s (roadandtrack.com).

The 2016 model just came out (but few changes from 2015 model).

You get 4 doors, AWD, and blistering speed, and save gas on the 4-pot.

And take it from an owner... it's thrilling to drive it.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #68
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

If you are looking at an M3 or Cayman for $40k, the question is are you ready to buy a car that is 7-8 years old? How long are you planning to keep it, 5-10 years? thats will be a 12-18 year old car by then. Not cheap my friend
Mike.L is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
If the pocket rocket's stock 0-60 in 4.4s is too slow

Too fast... not really good for city driving. Hard to have fun with a fast car in the city because shit gets too illegal, too fast.

Also... that 0-60, is that from power off idle or do you need to setup launch control?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #70
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:

I don't think the 435i is an upgrade from your current car. You're going to be paying so much more for the same power (I think the N54 is also better than the N55). The materials quality in the E92 is also superior to the new cars. Plus the steering of the 435i is not as "nice" as the E92. The steering of the 435i annoyed me so much when I drove one.

I got my car specifically because it had no idrive. In car technology gets outdated so fast now and I prefer a basic, functional interior. I have no back up sensors or rearview camera either and I'm totally fine with that.

Like you, I wanted a car with good looks, manual transmission, RWD, power, good stereo, good build quality.

I felt bored with my car earlier this year and actually wanted to get a fun car like an S2000 again. But I realized that my car fits my current needs and there's nothing comparable in price I can replace it with. Need to save up for the car I really want
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #71
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I might have missed it, but do you want a stick shift car or auto?

I have an E92 M3 and the shifter is meh. Standard BMW feel--a little rubbery, but then I used to drive an S2000 so many shifters feel meh in comparison.

The 435i is nice, and I've driven it a bit, but it does feel less analog in comparison to the older bimmers, especially in terms of the electric steering versus hydraulic.

A used Cayman would be a lot of fun, and would feel quite different when compared to your 335. You'll notice the weight difference as well.

Though I really like my M3, I still would eventually like to own a Cayman. That's because I've always liked them and want a mid engine platform.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolepsis View Post
I used to drive an S2000 so many shifters feel meh in comparison.

When my S2K had a 6 puck clutch the shifter was godly. I couldn't believe how incredible the shifter felt. Every shift felt like a female orifice teased to the max and penetrated smoothly by 50 Shades of Gear.

It groaned like a 60 year old pleasuring herself off the line from a stop though
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #73
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^ Lol!

I'd hate to think of how you'd describe the clutch in the S2000.

Shifter = great/agree. Clutch? Meh--sort of numb feeling, not as good other clutches (BMW/Porsches come to mind).
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #74
No Titles Given

Quote:
To add to that, said it once and will say it again; if you live in Europe, the Stingray is significantly more expensive than the M3/M4. Take advantage of your North American position!
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #75
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Too fast... not really good for city driving. Hard to have fun with a fast car in the city because shit gets too illegal, too fast.

Also... that 0-60, is that from power off idle or do you need to setup launch control?
I forgot to mention that it's also very nimble.

It's the best of both worlds: power when you need (or want) it and the agile and nimbleness of a small sedan.

It's from launch control (the 0-60).
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote