REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Thieves Look For Unlocked Cars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704374-thieves-look-unlocked-cars.html)

Heavy_user 07-15-2015 01:16 PM

Thieves Look For Unlocked Cars

Over the past month I've noticed a group of three young early 20's in my East Van Fraser View neighbourhood looking for unlocked cars after midnight. I saw them going from car to car, even into people's driveways, to try to see if the cars are unlocked.

I now have a surveillance system around my house, and if these assholes come again I'll be sure to provide the security footage to the police. Reminder for everyone to remember to lock your car doors.

fliptuner 07-15-2015 01:20 PM

So what you're saying is, use locks to keep people out?

Matlock 07-15-2015 01:52 PM

Time for boobytraps.

Ronin 07-15-2015 02:03 PM

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/a...say-png.11151/

trollguy 07-15-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_user (Post 8660336)
Over the past month I've noticed a group of three young early 20's in my East Van Fraser View neighbourhood looking for unlocked cars after midnight. I saw them going from car to car, even into people's driveways, to try to see if the cars are unlocked.

I now have a surveillance system around my house, and if these assholes come again I'll be sure to provide the security footage to the police. Reminder for everyone to remember to lock your car doors.

i know imposing civilian justice isnt everyones thing but did you at least yell at them .. or anything; to let them know someone is watching??

Ronin 07-15-2015 02:10 PM

Or you could sneak up behind them and bash them in the head with a rock.

Fuck car thieves.

mickz 07-15-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_user (Post 8660336)

1. Unlock doors
2. Hide in back seat with bat
3. Wait
Spoiler!

Gerbs 07-15-2015 02:20 PM

My car alarm got set off in the area twice in the last week. I think once I left a window like 20% open accidentally though.

Roach 07-15-2015 03:37 PM

Unfortunately I was a victim of this three weeks ago in Sullivan Station area of Surrey.

A family member used my X5 for the evening. Due to some confusion with the comfort access key they left the vehicle unlocked. Was leaving for work the next morning and discovered my radar detector, glasses, company nametag and change were gone. All were out of site in the center console.

Fortunately, they didn't touch my S2000. Thought for sure that my top would have been slashed or something.

A neighbour reviewed their surveillance camera and noted a young man and woman going from one vehicle to another trying to open doors.

Annoyed because I never leave my doors unlocked or leave valuables out in the open. Also annoyed that BMW does not have the walkaway setting for comfort access key like most other manufacturers.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of you.

Kev

Heavy_user 07-15-2015 04:46 PM

Not sure if it's the same group of thieves, but here is the description of the thieves I spotted.

Two young Caucasian female both with curly red hair, one tall young Caucasian male. I didn't know if it was useful to call the cops as they would have left by the time cops came and I didn't have the surveillance footage available as evidence. I'll be sure to call the cops first thing if I see them again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 8660384)
Unfortunately I was a victim of this three weeks ago in Sullivan Station area of Surrey.

A family member used my X5 for the evening. Due to some confusion with the comfort access key they left the vehicle unlocked. Was leaving for work the next morning and discovered my radar detector, glasses, company nametag and change were gone. All were out of site in the center console.

Fortunately, they didn't touch my S2000. Thought for sure that my top would have been slashed or something.

A neighbour reviewed their surveillance camera and noted a young man and woman going from one vehicle to another trying to open doors.

Annoyed because I never leave my doors unlocked or leave valuables out in the open. Also annoyed that BMW does not have the walkaway setting for comfort access key like most other manufacturers.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of you.

Kev

Heavy_user 07-15-2015 04:47 PM

I called my neighbor to wake up, set off my house alarm and had my self defense weapon ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollguy (Post 8660356)
i know imposing civilian justice isnt everyones thing but did you at least yell at them .. or anything; to let them know someone is watching??

Heavy_user 07-15-2015 04:49 PM

I'm pretty sure there are people that habitually don't lock their doors or occasionally forgot to, to give these thieves motivation for such crime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8660338)
So what you're saying is, use locks to keep people out?

hchang 07-15-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_user (Post 8660408)
I'm pretty sure there are people that habitually don't lock their doors or occasionally forgot to, to give these thieves motivation for such crime.

I never understood how this isn't common sense.

Maybe it's because I never grew up in an era where it wasnt the norm to leave the front door of your house and car doors unlocked but people should change with the times and realize humans are getting more and more messed up now

It's second nature for me to lock my doors on my house and truck, I would even press the lock button a few times on my remote when I'm walking away just so I'm convinced it's locked.

XplicitLuder 07-15-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_user (Post 8660406)
Not sure if it's the same group of thieves, but here is the description of the thieves I spotted.

Two young Caucasian female both with curly red hair, one tall young Caucasian male. I didn't know if it was useful to call the cops as they would have left by the time cops came and I didn't have the surveillance footage available as evidence. I'll be sure to call the cops first thing if I see them again.

could always call the non-emergency police # and give them description for future record

Euro7r 07-15-2015 05:43 PM

OP has noticed this for the past month and hasn't called police to file report? If I notice anything unusual, I just call non-emergency line and file a report. If there is a common trend, police will be more active in that area/time.

Mikoyan 07-15-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8660424)
OP has noticed this for the past month and hasn't called police to file report? If I notice anything unusual, I just call non-emergency line and file a report. If there is a common trend, police will be more active in that area/time.

That's what the cops at a community safety event said too. If it's stuff like peering in cars/yards/fences/house windows, non emerg, but if they're testing car door handles and applying tools to the windows, that's a 911 crime in progress call.

GLOW 07-15-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 8660427)
but if they're testing car door handles and applying tools to the windows, that's a 911 crime in progress call.

really???

lowside67 07-15-2015 06:24 PM

Applying tools to Windows = actually breaking in = crime in progress = 911

Pulling door handles = possible crime = non emergency line

Not that hard.

Mark

SpeedStars 07-15-2015 06:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP! I live around that area so I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Been parking my car inside the gates after being broken into on the street :fuuuuu: Also, I would guess the best anti-theft device here against these crooks would be this

fliptuner 07-15-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8660435)
Also, I would guess the best anti-theft device here against these crooks would be this

fixed

GLOW 07-15-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8660435)
Thanks for the heads up OP! I live around that area so I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Been parking my car inside the gates after being broken into on the street :fuuuuu: Also, I would guess the best anti-theft device here against these crooks would be this

Would-be carjackers foiled in Seattle, couldn't drive manual transmission - CBS News

Heavy_user 07-15-2015 07:26 PM

Good points on calling the non-emergency line and filing a report. Will do so now. Thanks

Mikoyan 07-15-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8660433)

Not that hard.

Mark

As explained to me, going down the street and testing door handles demonstrates intent.

Either way, non emergency at least.

chouchou 07-15-2015 09:16 PM

Careful if you're in the west side / kerrisdale area as well.

will068 07-15-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8660433)

Not that hard.

Mark

Just an FYI, when I called the non-emergency line regarding the same situation (pulling door handle, traversing every car in sight) in the west end, she advised to call 911 in the future if I witness such action again.